Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Cozmosis posted:

And in my experience with the Moto X, it's a joy to use but the battery drains about that fast.

Depends powerfully on what you use.

You could probably mainline the forums (in one of the unofficial Android apps) for that long; on the other hand something like Ridiculous Fishing eats battery like candy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
What's a phone with good battery life? My current Moto G is simply unacceptable.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

jyrka posted:

What's a phone with good battery life? My current Moto G is simply unacceptable.

The Xperia Z3 series, or almost any bigphone. The Galaxy Note line always comes with a large battery, for reference.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I'm also having issues with a Note 3 after the update. It drains insanely fast even when I'm not using it with everything but mobile turned off (it dropped over 50% when I was at work and it just say at my desk). It even drains while plugged into the official charger if I'm just web browsing on wifi. Plugged in over night while I slept. Made it to 60%.

Battery saving is on. I have no idea what else to do.

Any suggestions?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

RodShaft posted:

I'm also having issues with a Note 3 after the update. It drains insanely fast even when I'm not using it with everything but mobile turned off (it dropped over 50% when I was at work and it just say at my desk). It even drains while plugged into the official charger if I'm just web browsing on wifi. Plugged in over night while I slept. Made it to 60%.

Any suggestions?

A factory reset fixed this on my wife's S4. Not fun but it has worked for a lot of people online.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

RodShaft posted:

Any suggestions?

Note 3 person here. Like Reverse Centaur said, factory reset. I use the Note 3 and was already having battery issues before the update. Post-update, I wiped the phone and external SD card (after a thorough backup, of course) and reinstalled apps one-by-one, avoiding any that I knew had not been updated in a long time or that were made obsolete or redundant by Lollipop features. The app My Apps List helped as part of my backup plan by generating a HTML list I could browse on my PC (not every app I used came from Play store).

Then I disabled any pre-loaded apps I wouldn't use AND the Unified Daemon (EUR) service. That one is a big battery suck because it keeps activating GPS and keeps the phone awake. Disabling it will kill weather from the lock screen.

If you don't have time for reset/reinstall right now, I'd at least kill Unified Daemon right away and do a cache wipe for good measure. Greenify is an app I'd recommend, too, for hibernating any persistent apps that really don't need to be running in the background.

Arriviste fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 2, 2015

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Here's a bit of an obscure question: I have a 2014 Moto X and I'm currently using the stock camera. I leave HDR on Auto. Sometimes when I take photos I see that the filename gets appended with either "HDR" or "TOP". The HDR tag is obvious by anyone know what "TOP" means?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Thanks guys, it's actually charging about a percent every 2 minutes. If I make it though the day I'll do a factory reset. Are there any other decent phablets out there in case I throw this one against the wall?

Nevermind, it dropped 5% just browsing the internet for 10 minutes while plugged in... I hate this game.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 2, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone have a 2014 Moto X and a Diztronic case? I use SwipePad, and I'm trying to decide if the case would interfere with that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Regarding the Snapdragon 808, it comes with two A57 cores and four A53 ones. Is that still a big.LITTLE configuration? Because it's asymmetric. Or will Android use all six cores eventually? Or will it end up scheduling two A57 and two A53?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Regarding the Snapdragon 808, it comes with two A57 cores and four A53 ones. Is that still a big.LITTLE configuration? Because it's asymmetric. Or will Android use all six cores eventually? Or will it end up scheduling two A57 and two A53?
2 big 4 little.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any consensus on the Asus Zenfone 2 yet? Seems like a good price for the specs, especially the middle model. How have Asus been with updating devices in the past?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Any consensus on the Asus Zenfone 2 yet? Seems like a good price for the specs, especially the middle model. How have Asus been with updating devices in the past?

An Intel phone? Are you serious?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Got a launcher redraw when I got home last night. Took a month on 5.1 before it happened.

LastInLine posted:

Better than Nvidia.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

LastInLine posted:

Reviews have actually been pretty good? Weird battery drain issue thanks to 5.0 but other then that...

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Captain Yossarian posted:

Reviews have actually been pretty good? Weird battery drain issue thanks to 5.0 but other then that...

But only for the 4gb ram model from what I've read (a small bugfix is coming). Also, Intel chipsets are quite good already. This isn't a snapdragon or bust world as Kirin, Exynos or Atoms do the job without being hand toasters.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

How many phones do we even have that use an Intel SoC? Is there some reason to distrust them?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

Better than Nvidia.

Well I can't argue with that.

Captain Yossarian posted:

What planet are you on where every review for everything isn't always good? Even if the reviews are good, it's an Intel-powered phone. Do you really believe in your heart of hearts that Asus is going to keep their x86-based telephone that is going to sell in paltry numbers current on software? Could anyone honestly believe it and not believe in lizardmen?

How much of that battery drain is 5.0 and how much is x86 just not being as efficient as ARM? Does this version of the Atom even have an on-die modem containing all the GSM/HSPA/LTE radios? I was under the impression they did not and thus were a "Verizon Galaxy Nexus" situation where the cell radios would just pummel the gently caress out of the battery though maybe they've addressed this.

I don't think it's unreasonable to say that if you buy an Intel-based smartphone that you're on a thin branch in a tall tree.

Tunga posted:

How many phones do we even have that use an Intel SoC? Is there some reason to distrust them?

One might say the fact that there are none (and none that Google even keeps as a developer device like they have for every other chipset) should be reason enough to avoid them. It certainly means that it will be up to Asus and not Google to ensure ongoing compatibility since there won't be an x86 target in the Nexus line which should throw up a red flag if you care about future support.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 2, 2015

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
An x86 phone will eventually be able to dual boot into Windows. :getin:

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

butt dickus posted:

Got a launcher redraw when I got home last night. Took a month on 5.1 before it happened.

Lucky bastard.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

As I thought, that Intel SoC does not have an integrated modem:

quote:

The problem, of course, is in the modem (specifically, the fact that it's not integrated into the apps processor) as well as the time-to-market for Intel's smartphone platform solutions.

For example, Intel's Moorefield (Atom Z3580) compares very favorably to the Snapdragon 801 in terms of compute performance, but it doesn't have a competitive modem built in.

This wouldn't have been a deal-killer if the company's discrete XMM 7260 LTE-Advanced modem had been ready to go along with the apps processor, but it appears that XMM 7260 is slightly late and XMM 7160 (the currently available LTE modem from Intel) just isn't competitive with Qualcomm's integrated solution. There are a lot of parts that a company needs to get right to deliver a competitive applications processor solution.

So yeah, a Verizon Galaxy Nexus where being connected to mobile data will constantly drain the battery because it's not integrated. It's poo poo, Jerry! poo poo!

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

jyrka posted:

In my experience the current Android phones with the best batterylife are, in descending order: Z3 Compact, Z3, Droid Turbo then Note 4.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LastInLine posted:

As I thought, that Intel SoC does not have an integrated modem:

So yeah, a Verizon Galaxy Nexus where being connected to mobile data will constantly drain the battery because it's not integrated. It's poo poo, Jerry! poo poo!

You do realize that the Snapdragon 805 doesn't have an integrated modem either, right? The Nexus 6 has an external MDM9625M modem.

Now, the M9 uses an 810 which is an MSM SoC that integrates the modem rather than an APQ which lacks a modem.

So, there we have it folks. LastInLine has stated definitively that the HTC M9 is better than the Nexus 6.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 2, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought the battery life issue with the LTE GNex was specifically that the LTE modem was separate from the CDMA modem so it had to power both.

Also, we're now quoting Motley Fool as a reputable source of technical information? Shall we get some IBT articles going on too? Oh Android thread, please never change :allears: .

Tunga fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 2, 2015

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Tunga posted:

I thought the battery life issue with the LTE GNex was specifically that the LTE modem was separate from the CDMA modem so it had to power both.

I thought so too. Setting mine to 3G only improved battery life quite a bit in areas without good 4G signals.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tunga posted:

That's exactly what the issue was. That also meant that the phone couldn't disconnect from EVDO when LTE was connected so it had to be connected to 1xRTT (voice/sms), EVDO (CDMA2000 data), and LTE at all times.

That, and the fact that early LTE modems were poo poo because they were brand new.

The radio situation was dire in the Galaxy Nexus for various reasons. It was a Samsung made LTE chip combined with a Via Technologies 1xRTT/EVDO chip.

Notice how Samsung isn't even using Samsung source modems anymore in the S6.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

An x86 phone will eventually be able to dual boot into Windows. :getin:

Elephone has one coming with both Android and Windows phone, the P7000 I think. I love the idea and is perfect for sperging.

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

bull3964 posted:

Notice how Samsung isn't even using Samsung source modems anymore in the S6.

Actually the vast majority of S6's use the Samsung Shannon LTE modem. Only the Verizon, Sprint and US Cellular models get a Qualcomm modem the ATT, T-mobile and the whole rest of the world get Samsung's own modem.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Guillermus posted:

Elephone has one coming with both Android and Windows phone, the P7000 I think. I love the idea and is perfect for sperging.

That's their current flagship, and it looks pretty nice honestly. They did just announce a Lollipop/Windows 10 device, yet unnamed.

(Yeah I had to look that up, thanks for the tip! China's getting a ton of cool smartphones.)

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My Nexus 10 suddenly has awful wifi connectivity. On Sunday (April 26) I installed my own modem, up until now I've been renting one from Comcast. The new modem is an SB6141. Shortly after I installed it I noticed all my devices connected to wifi were struggling to access the internet. The news feed on Facebook was gray squares, the Awful app on my iPhone wouldn't refresh my bookmarked threads, and my work laptop had a very slow internet connection. Web browsers on all the devices struggled to load webpages and often times told me they were unable to load the page. After a few power cycles on both the modem and router everything is back to normal except the Nexus 10. I'm at a loss.

My nexus is running android version 5.1, kernal version 3.4.67-ga19s236, and the build number is LMY47D. I've checked the settings on my router and they are the same as they have been for the past 3 years. The wifi icon at the top of the screen on the Nexus is indicating a perfect connection and Ookla speed test indicates it's getting 70 down/12 up, which is in the same ball park as the other wireless devices in my house. Initially I thought it was the router at fault, but everything else has gotten its poo poo together except this Nexus 10.

I'm at a loss, does anyone have any ideas?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Have you tried wiring anything to the router or modem?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Wildtortilla posted:

My Nexus 10 suddenly has awful wifi connectivity. On Sunday (April 26) I installed my own modem, up until now I've been renting one from Comcast. The new modem is an SB6141. Shortly after I installed it I noticed all my devices connected to wifi were struggling to access the internet. The news feed on Facebook was gray squares, the Awful app on my iPhone wouldn't refresh my bookmarked threads, and my work laptop had a very slow internet connection. Web browsers on all the devices struggled to load webpages and often times told me they were unable to load the page. After a few power cycles on both the modem and router everything is back to normal except the Nexus 10. I'm at a loss.

My nexus is running android version 5.1, kernal version 3.4.67-ga19s236, and the build number is LMY47D. I've checked the settings on my router and they are the same as they have been for the past 3 years. The wifi icon at the top of the screen on the Nexus is indicating a perfect connection and Ookla speed test indicates it's getting 70 down/12 up, which is in the same ball park as the other wireless devices in my house. Initially I thought it was the router at fault, but everything else has gotten its poo poo together except this Nexus 10.

I'm at a loss, does anyone have any ideas?

Try switching your DNS away from Comcast's awful garbage DNS server.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

uPen posted:

Try switching your DNS away from Comcast's awful garbage DNS server.

This is never a bad thing. ISP DNSes are the worst. Not the least reason being that they will redirect you to their own search resources when you fat-finger a domain name.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

AlexDeGruven posted:

This is never a bad thing. ISP DNSes are the worst. Not the least reason being that they will redirect you to their own search resources when you fat-finger a domain name.

Agreed. Google has their own DNS

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The reason the industry on the whole has avoided Intel is because of their poor power efficiency and poor modem situation. It's not like this is secret to anyone who follows this stuff. Intel has tried unsuccessfully for years to break into smartphones and the fact that not only are they not a contender but not even an option shows just how far they've come in accomplishing that goal.

I'm guessing though I (and every manufacturer looking to build a smartphone) have no idea what I'm talking about and Intel is ready to finally take their rightful place as the SoC of choice in phones!

Completely unrelated but there doesn't exist any externalities that would perhaps influence Asus to choose and Intel SoC for a telephone, are there? I mean, Asus doesn't build some other commodity with razor-thin margins that would be more profitable to build if there were some kind of backend discount on components, do they? I only ask because Intel's only tool for getting what they want are subsidies and as their white elephant mobile division flounders it must seem tempting to use a dominant position in desktop CPUs to lend support to it.

Nah, I'm sure Asus was given no incentive to use Intel over ARM and did so for technical reasons.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Moto X (2013) question. The feature where if you turn it down all the way it disables vibrate is loving stupid and I want that gone. A lot of times I'm in a situation where i reach into my pocket and turn the volume all the way down (meetings, on set, in the car whatever) and it automatically disables vibrate. I keep missing texts and poo poo because the vibrate function keeps getting turned off.

I don't want to have to make sure I turn it down JUST enough but not too much! That's stupid.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Hold volume all the way down then just go up one?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My Tylt Car mount finally arrived and it is the greatest accessory.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That's their current flagship, and it looks pretty nice honestly. They did just announce a Lollipop/Windows 10 device, yet unnamed.

(Yeah I had to look that up, thanks for the tip! China's getting a ton of cool smartphones.)

Yeah my bad, the P7000 is a current device, not the Android/WP10 one.

Looking at how well some chinese brands are doing (Xiaomi, Huawei, etc...) and unless Microsoft releases a great flagship with win10, I'll try one of these as bands aren't an issue here in Spain. Most if not all chinese phones with 4g/LTE support work perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

My Tylt Car mount finally arrived and it is the greatest accessory.

What phone are you using it with? I'm wondering about how this'll work with a Nexus 6.