Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Polish women are hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

nutranurse posted:

i unironically think i'll see a black superman movie at some point in my life

Absurd Alhazred won't like that.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Venom Snake posted:

Polish women are hot

High maintenance, though.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
as spy your job is to die to my firs

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
imo the next iteration of captain america needs to be hispanic

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

joss whedon doesn't understand class culture

this struck me as i watched whichever-it-was episode of firefly where that doctor fellow has a childhood flashback and they've got an 'estate' and everything and the dad is really stoked for his kid to become a doctor

that is such a middle-class aspiration that it's not even funny, no genuinely rich person would consider a career in medicine as some great achievement. sure, it's an acceptable choice if the kid is entirely uninterested in being professionally wealthy, but come on

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

nutranurse posted:

black superman is just too easy of a thing for the creatively bankrupt hacks at DC to not cash in on at some point. he'll be accompanied by asian batman.

captain america illegal immigrant dreamer PLEASE gently caress

also black tony stark

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Randler posted:

Absurd Alhazred won't like that.

Randlibeler strikes again!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jagchosis posted:

we're in a really fractured and diverse moment for culture right now it's just movies that are moribund poo poo

i don't know about that. movies are all trash, i don't watch a ton of TV but from what i can tell half of it is superhero shows now, videogames are eh? it seems to me the dominant cultural movement is corporate disneyfication of everything. there are a shitton of subcultures and the mainstream is only really a particularly large one, but it is still the mainstream, and it's not really headed in a good direction

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

joss whedon doesn't understand class culture

this struck me as i watched whichever-it-was episode of firefly where that doctor fellow has a childhood flashback and they've got an 'estate' and everything and the dad is really stoked for his kid to become a doctor

that is such a middle-class aspiration that it's not even funny, no genuinely rich person would consider a career in medicine as some great achievement. sure, it's an acceptable choice if the kid is entirely uninterested in being professionally wealthy, but come on

it's almost like american society and culture is 100% dominated by the petty bourgeoisie

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

joeburz posted:

captain america illegal immigrant dreamer PLEASE gently caress

nutranurse posted:

imo the next iteration of captain america needs to be hispanic

new tony stark should be indian.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

joeburz posted:

determining salary is awkward as gently caress and should be abolished by glorious full communism

Any tips? I'm due for one in August. Sorta hopeful since I've got the Masters and a year's experience but I hate corporate and expect to be screwed.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

it's almost like american society and culture is 100% dominated by the petty bourgeoisie

yea the american petty bourgeoisie stumble their way into positions of prominence and confuse their limited life experiences with being universal

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
also are the trade federation a stand-in for nineteenth century chinese or what

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

My Imaginary GF posted:

as spy your job is to die to my firs

Drinky Drinky glue glug

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

also are the trade federation a stand-in for nineteenth century chinese or what

theyre a stand-in for what george lucas confuses for good plot points

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Gravel Gravy posted:

Any tips? I'm due for one in August. Sorta hopeful since I've got the Masters and a year's experience but I hate corporate and expect to be screwed.

tbh it all depends on the company and how they operate/necessary you are to them. i think most people with higher degrees have a lot of leeway that they dont recognize or capitalize on

once again its awkward as gently caress and dumb dumb dumb

edit: basically dont be afraid to ask for "more" or what you actually think you are worth.

esto es malo fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 3, 2015

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

icantfindaname posted:

it's not, though. i refuse to believe that the american upper class is any different in their aspirations to every other upper class in this world. the clear failure of class understanding on the part of whedon taught me something, both about whedon in particular and what he represents, but also about the american mindset in general. it was therefore the most rewarding episode of firefly and the least entertaining

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

nutranurse posted:

theyre a stand-in for what george lucas confuses for good plot points

i mean the accents, the clothing...

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i mean the accents, the clothing...

the infinite armies of somewhat dense killer robots...

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

it's not, though. i refuse to believe that the american upper class is any different in their aspirations to every other upper class in this world. the clear failure of class understanding on the part of whedon taught me something, both about whedon in particular and what he represents, but also about the american mindset in general. it was therefore the most rewarding episode of firefly and the least entertaining

tell us more about the american mindset :allears:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

joeburz posted:

tbh it all depends on the company and how they operate/necessary you are to them. i think most people with higher degrees have a lot of leeway that they dont recognize or capitalize on

once again its awkward as gently caress and dumb dumb dumb

I hope that given I'm earning around as much as Bachelors in the company and that the pay for the location sucks they'll get wise otherwise I'll turn job hunting from part to a second full time job.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it tends to universalise its experiences without critically examining the premise for this

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

icantfindaname posted:

i don't know about that. movies are all trash, i don't watch a ton of TV but from what i can tell half of it is superhero shows now, videogames are eh? it seems to me the dominant cultural movement is corporate disneyfication of everything. there are a shitton of subcultures and the mainstream is only really a particularly large one, but it is still the mainstream, and it's not really headed in a good direction

tv's become the writers' medium the past decade or so, especially cable. network is still basically garbage

film is oriented around playing overseas so it's mainly plotless cgi demos labeled as sequels to last year's plotless cgi demos that get greenlit

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Playing a Hungarian-made game, Roma turn up in the plot, brace for impact

Turns out to be significantly less racist than 90% of EuroPol

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

it tends to universalise its experiences without critically examining the premise for this

sounds like every dominant set of people ever

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

this is, of course, more prominent among the white middle classes, but it's surprisingly common across american society

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

nutranurse posted:

gee those pre-western contact chinese people sure have an american mindset

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

nutranurse posted:

tell us more about the american mindset :allears:

A savage animal, its brutish ferocity only tempered by its equally bestial obesity.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

nutranurse posted:

Strange how that mentality is reproduced in the "counter"-culture and in radicalism, though. :tbear:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

i don't actually think this is true, or at least if it is true it's only true for a very small section of the upper class. that's the most defining characteristic of america, it's that everyone, regardless of actual material basis, thinks they're upper middle class. that includes everyone below upper middle class but it also includes the rich. when you see those articles about people making a million dollars a year but complaining that they're actually poor because after mortgage payments on their 4 houses, i think they really believe that. they don't actually get that they're rich. they also think they're upper middle class

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

nutranurse posted:

yes, i think a lot of it is the collective high you lot get from being the global hegemon for so long

you see some very similar tendencies in the 19th century british as well, though wearing different clothes and manifesting somewhat differently

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

pictured below: the techno union army

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 3, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
tips? play pyro

next tip?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

tips? play pyro

next tip?

burn down chicago

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

nutranurse posted:

burn down chicago

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

icantfindaname posted:

i don't actually think this is true, or at least if it is true it's only true for a very small section of the upper class. that's the most defining characteristic of america, it's that everyone, regardless of actual material basis, thinks they're upper middle class. that includes everyone below upper middle class but it also includes the rich. when you see those articles about people making a million dollars a year but complaining that they're actually poor because after mortgage payments on their 4 houses, i think they really believe that. they don't actually get that they're rich. they also think they're upper middle class

those people aren't Proper Rich though, i'm talking "estates" rich

a lot of high earners are still essentially proletarian, so it's easy to see where they'd bite on the whole "doctor" thing. if you live on an estate, you are not a professional in any sense, you're either legitimately filthy rich or you're decaying aristocracy, and i'm pretty sure we're meant to infer that doctor guy's family are not actual aristocracy

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

yes, i think a lot of it is the collective high you lot get from being the global hegemon for so long

you see some very similar tendencies in the 19th century british as well, though wearing different clothes and manifesting somewhat differently

if this is what you define as "american culture" then you need to shut up and learn more about american culture, hth

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

I'm sorry I'm at a wedding with open bar and I'm taking full advantage of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gravel Gravy posted:

Drinky Drinky glue glug

have you met natascha?