Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
haha! the star wars banking clan have no noses and therefore cannot be a jewish caricature. very progressive, lucas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i mean the accents, the clothing...

yeah they're pretty much racist caricatures of scheming mandarins but it's okay because IT'S JUST LIKE IN FLASH GORDON GUYS.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

nutranurse posted:

haha! the star wars banking clan have no noses and therefore cannot be a jewish caricature. very progressive, lucas!

anakin's owner was the jewish caricature nutranurse.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

those people aren't Proper Rich though, i'm talking "estates" rich

a lot of high earners are still essentially proletarian, so it's easy to see where they'd bite on the whole "doctor" thing. if you live on an estate, you are not a professional in any sense, you're either legitimately filthy rich or you're decaying aristocracy, and i'm pretty sure we're meant to infer that doctor guy's family are not actual aristocracy

the filthy loving rich in america still push their children into high compensating professions. i took a class with the son of the ceo of goldman sachs for fucks sake

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

paragon1 posted:

anakin's owner was the jewish caricature nutranurse.

when i was a kid i thought he had a mexican accent

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

nutranurse posted:

has someone mentioned how lucas thought pedophilia was an interesting, compelling kind of relationship in that one interview with Spielberg yet? because that's a thing that happened

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jagchosis posted:

the filthy loving rich in america still push their children into high compensating professions. i took a class with the son of the ceo of goldman sachs for fucks sake

"can buy a multimillion dollar house while unemployed for a year" counts as filthy loving rich right?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

nutranurse posted:

if this is what you define as "american culture" then you need to shut up and learn more about american culture, hth

i am not nuancing my argument because it's four in the morning and i can't sleep and i'm posting about my musings on a half-remembered episode of a mediocre television series

i am well aware that there are shades of this stuff, but there is a very real tendency and i've remarked on it before. i'd use the term 'episteme' because it fits, but i suspect that it may not be the most productive choice of words. the information environment in america is such that most americans are fed one major theme - this whole middle-class concept, the American Dream, call it what you will - and it causes strange misunderstandings like whedon's naïve assumption that because being a doctor is seen as A Good Thing in his own culture, this culture would logically deal with it the same way. obviously the further you get from actually living according to this ideal the less the narrative will catch you (so if you're very rich or very poor, you'll realise that this is rubbish), but it's still there to some extent.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

when i was a kid i thought he had a mexican accent

I thought it was supposed to be Sicilian when I was a kid.

Jagchosis posted:

Yeah a lot of our really really rich people still expect their children to work for living even if they aren't helping to run the business.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

i am not nuancing my argument because it's four in the morning and i can't sleep and i'm posting about my musings on a half-remembered episode of a mediocre television series

i am well aware that there are shades of this stuff, but there is a very real tendency and i've remarked on it before. i'd use the term 'episteme' because it fits, but i suspect that it may not be the most productive choice of words. the information environment in america is such that most americans are fed one major theme - this whole middle-class concept, the American Dream, call it what you will - and it causes strange misunderstandings like whedon's naïve assumption that because being a doctor is seen as A Good Thing in his own culture, this culture would logically deal with it the same way. obviously the further you get from actually living according to this ideal the less the narrative will catch you (so if you're very rich or very poor, you'll realise that this is rubbish), but it's still there to some extent.

Okay yeah that's what I meant, that Whedon can't actually conceive of anything other than an upper middle class worldview, and so can't write an accurate ultrarich aristocrat

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I bought something on Etsy and now the emails won't stop

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

has someone mentioned how lucas thought pedophilia was an interesting, compelling kind of relationship in that one interview with Spielberg yet? because that's a thing that happened

i did

V. Illych L. posted:

the firefly universe is one in which china and america merged and became the hegemons. it is appropriate for it to contextualize culture with american underpinnings in universe in that case. and the rich absolutely do that in america, why do you think ivy's have legacy admissions

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

euphronius posted:

I bought something on Etsy and now the emails won't stop

RIP

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Blacklist is a bad show. It's a bad show because between Red and Tom it actually has two semi-good characters.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

ok when you unpack it you sound a lot less like a clueless eurogoon, tho tbh the fetishistic fascination with the middle-class is a general symptom of capitalism

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Jagchosis posted:

yeah but i'm betting that's because this kid didn't want to take over the family empire or w/e. obviously you have to push your kid into something acceptable, but that is all being a doctor is to the Rich People. it's not something in particular to aspire towards - it's a legitimate career choice. at best, they'll be individually encouraged to 'follow their dream' or w/e

the same kid that would've been a nurse if they were poor(ish) will be a doctor if they're rich

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

is warsz still alive

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

icantfindaname posted:

What

WHAT

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

is warsz still alive

FIGHT. NIGHT.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

nutranurse posted:

no one should adopt americas drug laws unless they want to create a teeming ethnic underclass

nutranurse posted:

imo the next iteration of captain america needs to be hispanic

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

man what is shmi dying of? being raped to death by sand people?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

nutranurse posted:

man what is shmi dying of? being raped to death by sand people?

Sand People apparently think touching humans with their exposed skin will make them unclean

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

http://www.therobotspajamas.com/indiana-jones-child-rapist/

quote:

George Lucas: I was thinking that this old guy could have been his mentor. He could have known this little girl when she was just a kid. Had an affair with her when she was eleven.

Lawrence Kasdan: And he was forty-two.

George Lucas: He hasn’t seen her in twelve years. Now she’s twenty-two. It’s a real strange relationship.

Steven Spielberg: She had better be older than twenty-two.

George Lucas: He’s thirty-five, and he knew her ten years ago when he was twenty-five and she was only twelve. It would be amusing to make her slightly young at the time.

Steven Spielberg: And promiscuous. She came onto him.

George Lucas: Fifteen is right on the edge. I know it’s an outrageous idea, but it is interesting. Once she’s sixteen or seventeen it’s not interesting anymore. But if she was fifteen and he was twenty-five and they actually had an affair the last time they met. And she was madly in love with him and he…

apparently from a story meeting from 1978. i can't find the full original but a bunch of sites have this quote. maybe it's not real but :laffo: if true

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh no thought crime

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

basically, a rich kid that ends up as a doctor will have ended up that way because doctoring is one of a relatively few permitted professions outside of capital-b Business for kids like that. they could also become lawyers (not sure how that's developing in america these days) or politicians, but won't find many rich people in engineering or doing apprenticeships. the wave of Big Tech is probably going to make software acceptable as well, but who knows with those nouveau-riche buggers

now i will cleverly run away and have another go at sleeping if i can

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
anyone? wanna play with my pyro?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

euphronius posted:

Oh no thought crime

Go gently caress yourself

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

My Imaginary GF posted:

anyone? wanna play with my pyro?

You got $75?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

http://www.therobotspajamas.com/indiana-jones-child-rapist/

apparently from a story meeting from 1978. i can't find the full original but a bunch of sites have this quote. maybe it's not real but :laffo: if true

its like he read Lolita and completely misinterpreted the message that loving kids is Not Good

the 70s were before people would get flayed alive for saying that kinda poo poo so i wouldnt be surprised if its real

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

euphronius posted:

Oh no thought crime

its not really thought crime when youve got the dude straight up saying

"hey what if we had paedophilia in our movie, WOULDN'T THAT BE COOL :haw:"

thats... just... uh... crime crime

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Jagchosis posted:

its like he read Lolita and completely misinterpreted the message that loving kids is Not Good

the 70s were before people would get flayed alive for saying that kinda poo poo so i wouldnt be surprised if its real

george lucas: the prototypical Troper?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

but seriously wtf did shmi die of

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

also apparently that jack woltz guy who went off going "DAGO GREASEBALL GOOMBAS" was supposed to be a pedophile too

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

actually it's ephebophilia

but no not even that, he explicitly mentions the wizened old age of 11

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
No, it's not "had a pedophile in our movie", it's "It'd be kinda neat if our hero was a pedophile."
Which is a loving step beyond.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

actually it's ephebophilia

but no not even that, he explicitly mentions the wizened old age of 11

i've read someone who says he's attracted to girls that age describe it as "hebephilia"

to me, i just read it as "a pedophile with a thesaurus"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

V. Illych L. posted:

basically, a rich kid that ends up as a doctor will have ended up that way because doctoring is one of a relatively few permitted professions outside of capital-b Business for kids like that. they could also become lawyers (not sure how that's developing in america these days) or politicians, but won't find many rich people in engineering or doing apprenticeships. the wave of Big Tech is probably going to make software acceptable as well, but who knows with those nouveau-riche buggers

now i will cleverly run away and have another go at sleeping if i can

pretty sure bill gates' family counted as loving rich and he got into engineering for sure (and the family money sure helped with starting microsoft)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

nutranurse posted:

but seriously wtf did shmi die of

plot

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

frankly i find it absurd that in a futurepast this advanced there would have been some easy medical solution for anakin to whip up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jagchosis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwGfP98vGM&t=77s

• Locked thread