Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Whatever it ends up being, I just wanted to mock the lucky bastards who got to see the movie early and then stated "I have no idea what Theta Protocol is". :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It's going to be hilarious if it's something completely different that none of us thought of and those things from AoU are never even mentioned in the show, let alone explained. :v:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

boom boom boom posted:

Does this show get legit good, or good in comparison to how it began?

I don't know what you like.

I think it was an OK show from the start that had some big flaws. Coulson was its big saving grace to me, so on that we differ.

The contrivances of adding Skye to the plot/team really stretch the premise. But, once all that rogue hacker poo poo is dumped to the wayside the show is a lot better for it. Agent May's character from silent bad rear end is tiring, but it slightly evolves into a mother hen confidant type thing, which helps.

Fitz and Simmons' characterization isn't all that great in the beginning, it takes a long time (nearly season two) before the show starts to add differences.

The monster of the week poo poo is dull, but you kind of need to throw that poo poo in there to give the characters poo poo to do and to build upon them. The whole centipede poo poo does actually go somewhere, and some of the monster of the week poo poo has a purpose to the overall season arc.

Some of your other recent concerns seem to be more about the fact that this is a TV show on a TV show budget and not a movie on a movie budget.

Other than that, I legit like the show. While before I would have been ashamed to admit I watch the show, I think its cool.

I've been trying and trying to get my wife to watch it, and she isn't interested. Drives me fuckin' insane because she likes poo poo like Dr. Who, Warehouse 13, and a whole bunch of other crappy sci fi stuff. She's starting to get into Continuum, though.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I dunno, I mean I can see either of those things being Theta Protocol but this is all reminding me heavily of when The Winter Soldier came out and I saw multiple people saying that Zola was obviously the Clairvoyant.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
OK, May immediately stealing the Berserker staff was cool.

edit: But then she drops it? what the gently caress, let her keep the Berserker Staff, it owns!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
They just need to go all the way with May. Make the actress gain ten pounds of muscle and have May become Titania.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Xtanstic posted:

AoU spoilers regarding Theta Protocol:

People a week ago were saying that they saw the movie early and had no idea what the Theta Protocol/show tie-in was gonna be. Seriously? It's a loving Helicarrier where Fury explicitly states "he got out of mothballs with the help of Maria Hill and some old friends". Sure you can make an argument for the thing at the end too.

Doesn't make any sense as the Helicarrier; doesn't fit what we've seen on the show at all and a helicarrier isn't deserving of that much secrecy. An Avengers Academy attached to the facility at the end seems more likely.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Fitz and Simmons are so boring as a potential romantic couple.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

why are you live-tweeting your updates

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Finally! I figured they would save the cameo for the finale if they were gonna do it at all.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

enraged_camel posted:

It's a mix of honest questions and venting about parts of the show I don't like.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

tell us how you feel about ward's dog

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
He did, it's dead

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

enraged_camel posted:

tell us how you feel about ward's dog

It's been done a million times. I think that was part of X-23s background too. If they wanted it to matter they should've built it up a bit, started the flashbacks when we're introduced to Garret, and make them more sinister as the Hydra secret was revealed.

Plus, years passed in those flashbacks. That dog had to be at least ten years old by the time Ward shot it, it's not like they were gonna be able to rehome it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's so funny how people forget what the dog argument actually was. It wasn't whether Ward did or didn't pull the trigger. It was that some people thought Garrett shot the dog which was ridiculous.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The season finale was a huge step up in quality. Please tell me the show goes on in the circular saw fights and secret twin style.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Deadpool posted:

It was that some people thought Garrett shot the dog which was ridiculous.

Obviously he did.

After Ward shot it.

Where do you think he learned the double-tap?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

boom boom boom posted:

The season finale was a huge step up in quality. Please tell me the show goes on in the circular saw fights and secret twin style.

Seriously, the season premiere is another huge uptick in quality and it more or less stays constant from there.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

Watching live reactions to people catching up on TV shows late is the best part of these threads! The Person of Interest thread in particular is the best for watching just people be completely floored by unexpected plot twists.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm gonna stop cause I guess I'm through the bad part of the show.

Still, out of the first like, 14 episodes of this show, the only one I enjoyed was the one where the gang had to fight a retarded ghost with a wrench that got loose on their plane.

That is an amazing plot description.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

enraged_camel posted:

To be fair, you guys do the same with every new episode. Anyone wondering when this show plays only has to wait until there is 300 new posts within an hour. He's clearly a good fit, if only a year late.

And the question isnt so much whether Ward or Garret shot the dog. The question is, was it a killshot? Discuss.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

Still, out of the first like, 14 episodes of this show, the only one I enjoyed was the one where the gang had to fight a retarded ghost with a wrench that got loose on their plane.

Real talk: please don't. It really is interesting watching someone react to what we know is coming.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

No no no keep going there are some choice moments in season 2 that I want to see your reaction to.

Oh god I completely forgot about the ghost wrench thing.

Deadpool posted:

It's so funny how people forget what the dog argument actually was. It wasn't whether Ward did or didn't pull the trigger. It was that some people thought Garrett shot the dog which was ridiculous.

Also forgot about this

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
There were a handful of okay episodes in the first 14. I remember episode 3 with the gravity guy was cool and I still expect that to pay off somehow down the line. T.R.A.C.K.S did some interesting things and was another episode that I'd point to to illustrate the show improving in quality. T.A.H.I.T.I. was where the show more or less fully committed to dropping the "0-8-4 of the week" storytelling. There were a few others too but I can't remember the specific episodes.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Dalael posted:

To be fair, you guys do the same with every new episode. Anyone wondering when this show plays only has to wait until there is 300 new posts within an hour. He's clearly a good fit, if only a year late.

300? No way. If something huge happened, I'd expect maybe 150-175 by the time the show was over. 300 would mean an actual, honest-to-god Avenger or Guardian of the Galaxy showed up.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
One of the things I was spoiled on about this show is that the Absorbing Man shows up. He was always one of my favorite villains as a kid, so just break it to me now, does he look terrible? The Flash was able to do a guy who got all metallic, and a guy who got all firey, so I know it's possible to do a proper Absorbing Man on TV. Does Agents of SHIELD actually pull it off, or do they do they do a horrible cop-out design like they did with Deathlok?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

boom boom boom posted:

One of the things I was spoiled on about this show is that the Absorbing Man shows up. He was always one of my favorite villains as a kid, so just break it to me now, does he look terrible? The Flash was able to do a guy who got all metallic, and a guy who got all firey, so I know it's possible to do a proper Absorbing Man on TV. Does Agents of SHIELD actually pull it off, or do they do they do a horrible cop-out design like they did with Deathlok?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

aaaaaa oh my god that makes me so happy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I hope absorbing man comes back. And he was a bit sympathetic in his depiction, even, so SHIELD could use him. Hell, he could go over to Avengers Academy.

Also muscles.

Although they'd have to solve the pants problem.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 3, 2015

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'd rather see Creel on Daredevil, given his connection to Matt. Or maybe have Creel be the focus of a crossover.

The idea of an Agents of SHIELD/Daredevil crossover episode is freaking me out.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I'd rather see Creel on Daredevil, given his connection to Matt. Or maybe have Creel be the focus of a crossover.

The idea of an Agents of SHIELD/Daredevil crossover episode is freaking me out.

I know that Mary Sue Poots and Matt were at the same orphanage, but do their ages match up so that they would have been there at the same time?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

boom boom boom posted:

aaaaaa oh my god that makes me so happy.

Well then take a look at this: http://gfycat.com/DistantUnderstatedArachnid

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Xtanstic posted:

I know that Mary Sue Poots and Matt were at the same orphanage, but do their ages match up so that they would have been there at the same time?

Well, let's assume Matt graduated high school at 17-18. He maybe did two years of college, then three years of law school, then maybe about a year of interning. That would put him at around 23-24, making him younger than Daisy.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

If they do what the comics always did and find some excuse for him to run through a foundry so he can absorb the properties of molten metal, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will become my favorite show of all time.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Phylodox posted:

Well, let's assume Matt graduated high school at 17-18. He maybe did two years of college, then three years of law school, then maybe about a year of interning. That would put him at around 23-24, making him younger than Daisy.

don't you get a bachelor's first before three years to your JD?

IANAL

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
If that's true, then it would put him within a year of Daisy.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

hiddenriverninja posted:

don't you get a bachelor's first before three years to your JD?

IANAL

Yeah, i calculated that they could have been there at the same time. Skye is 26, and Matt is probably 26 or so. Graduate college at 22, graduate law school at 25, intern for a year or two and he is around the same age. They dont need to be the same age just within a few years to have known each other. Also Skye would have been there a long time while Matt was what 12 or so when he went in?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

If they do what the comics always did and find some excuse for him to run through a foundry so he can absorb the properties of molten metal, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will become my favorite show of all time.

Just wait till you see what he actually ends up absorbing, heh.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Wolpertinger posted:

Just wait till you see what he actually ends up absorbing, heh.

He absorbs Ward's dog and becomes Dogman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

swickles posted:

He absorbs Ward's dog and becomes Dogman.

And then dies because he also absorbs being shot?

• Locked thread