Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This is the dumbest show ever, 10 seasons please.

Also I just bought the other 3 volumes. Anyone know when 8 is out?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

This is the best episode yet, and I have only watched half so far.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I told yall.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master
Dumbest villain so far behind Femt. This series is the best.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Isn't the ghost girl anime exclusive? How did this play out in the manga.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

Exactly the same sans the sequences related to her, femt, and the brother.

E: except there's a cut sequence where Klaus fights the prison warden to release Brody and Hummer from Brody's 1000 year sentence inside the space odyssey monolith

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Same motive and relationship to Brody and Hammer, just no relationship to Femt. Except she thought he was still at Pandora Asylum, which is nigh-impossible to break into. Hence the colossal runaway truck. And the Aslyum is basically Arkham, only with 40,000-odd supervillain inmates instead of a dozen. Klaus had to go in by force on his own to get Brody out for that final showdown too, because the Warden said no.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

They cut out some extra stuff with Doug Hammer to make room for Femt and the drive-in theater bit.

In the manga Klaus has to fight with the warden to secure Doug's release, only for Doug to request afterwards he be returned to his cell to finish serving his sentence.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I love that they added extra dramatization to Aligula's explanation of her science doings, and also expanded the joke about everybody being in love with Doug Hammer, who I will still call Doug Hammer.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Whoever is voicing Aligula really hit that tricky spot of being endearingly incredibly annoying.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Seafood posted:

They cut out some extra stuff with Doug Hammer to make room for Femt and the drive-in theater bit.

In the manga Klaus has to fight with the warden to secure Doug's release, only for Doug to request afterwards he be returned to his cell to finish serving his sentence.

I still can't believe the movie bit though. I certainly wasn't expecting that. :suspense:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

You know I really don't know how I feel about the manga art. I have never been in love with Nightow's art but this seems like it's often hard to tell what's going on in a given panel (especially during action sequences) if there isn't text explicitly explaining it, which I don't remember being an issue in Trigun/Maximum. On the other hand there's usually something cool to look at and the manga does have those little extra tidbits that are either only implied or cut altogether in the anime.

Also I don't know why you guys are so worried about Day in, Day Out, that's totally enough content for an episode. We are probably going to lose the Birthday Card story though.

chumbler posted:

Whoever is voicing Aligula really hit that tricky spot of being endearingly incredibly annoying.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

chumbler posted:

It was a really good va performance and they deserve props.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Her name is Satomi Korogi and she does the dub voice for Tweety Bird also, haha.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rodyle posted:

Also I don't know why you guys are so worried about Day in, Day Out, that's totally enough content for an episode. We are probably going to lose the Birthday Card story though.

Honestly I think we should've gotten Day in, Day Out, rather than Don't Forget to Forget Me. It's a much, much, better side-story that showcases two of the characters we've seen little of so far (Chain and Steven). To be perfectly honest, I'm kinda disappointed that DFTFM's an episode because it's not exactly action-heavy, and there's a whole bunch of better stories to use when we've only got all of ten episodes at most to use them in (that's a blind guess at ten "regular" episodes, plus the usual finale 2-parter made of original anime content).

Sharkopath posted:

Her name is Satomi Korogi and she does the dub voice for Tweety Bird also, haha.

I wonder if she used the same voice :allears:. That's gotta gently caress with some heads in Japan, I'll bet.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

She does a lot of pokemon and small animal/mascot bit parts too, so she's an expert at cutesy voices.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Honestly I think we should've gotten Day in, Day Out, rather than Don't Forget to Forget Me. It's a much, much, better side-story that showcases two of the characters we've seen little of so far (Chain and Steven). To be perfectly honest, I'm kinda disappointed that DFTFM's an episode because it's not exactly action-heavy, and there's a whole bunch of better stories to use when we've only got all of ten episodes at most to use them in (that's a blind guess at ten "regular" episodes, plus the usual finale 2-parter made of original anime content).

I can't comment on Don't Forget to Forget Me since I don't have volume 5 yet, but considering Matsumoto has been leaning on more than a few quick cuts and zoomed out conversations, I think we're going to have to accept some low action storylines as a matter of practicality.

On the other hand Day In, Day Out isn't action heavy and IS super awesome so I hope we get it! Particularly so we can get Zap seeing in Matsumoto Vision.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm also much too young for her, so I had to cancel the love letter I was planning on writing.

Life is suffering.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rodyle posted:

I can't comment on Don't Forget to Forget Me since I don't have volume 5 yet, but considering Matsumoto has been leaning on more than a few quick cuts and zoomed out conversations, I think we're going to have to accept some low action storylines as a matter of practicality.

Except it's skipped past two of the best stories in the manga. One of Klaus getting stuck pitfighting to pay off Zap's debts, and one of Klaus' Butler going on a badass rampage.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

I'm also much too young for her, so I had to cancel the love letter I was planning on writing.

Life is suffering.

Never give up, I believe in the May/December romance between a young man and a seiyuu.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Never give up, I believe in the May/December romance between a young man and a seiyuu.

Love is, after all, about pushing, and pushing, and whoever pushes hardest wins.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except it's skipped past two of the best stories in the manga. One of Klaus getting stuck pitfighting to pay off Zap's debts, and one of Klaus' Butler going on a badass rampage.

Well that's what I mean, we can't get all the action packed storyline, there's no money for that. Also while I like the pit fight story it doesn't really add anything since it's mostly just "Klaus is cool" topped with a reminder that Blood Breeds aren't to be hosed with. I do hope that we get some more Butler time though.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

She does a lot of pokemon and small animal/mascot bit parts too, so she's an expert at cutesy voices.

And Nina Tucker. :smith:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 3, 2015

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I've got a hot update for the animesrollingaround tumblr.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I'd say this one's still meant to be Doug Hammer considering the others are translated the same, it just got caught in engrish due to close similarities to other words.

Also "Prisner".

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I probably should have waited for the episode to finish to post these, huh. Also I love that the "wedding photo" in her place has Doug and her faces just taped on.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

I probably should have waited for the episode to finish to post these, huh. Also I love that the "wedding photo" in her place has Doug and her faces just taped on.

I like that "her place" is in the middle of the monster truck. She sure put a lot of effort into decorating it.

Aligula is rad. Everyone in this show is rad.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

chumbler posted:

I like that "her place" is in the middle of the monster truck. She sure put a lot of effort into decorating it.

Aligula is rad. Everyone in this show is rad.

All of her scenes are way better in the show then they are in the comic, they added a lot in terms of personality and also even stuff like her room being an actual control room with decor and everything, instead of a mostly empty truck cab.

The way she interacted with Leo was better too, almost none of the dialogue was taken from the comic, he was tied to a big cross and left there for the entire sequence.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The resolution is a bit funnier in the comic because they mention that millions probably died because of the truck shrapnel thing, but they got bored counting so they just stopped. Jerusalem's Lot was a way crazier place than Hellsalem's Lot is I guess.

Rodyle posted:

You know I really don't know how I feel about the manga art. I have never been in love with Nightow's art but this seems like it's often hard to tell what's going on in a given panel (especially during action sequences) if there isn't text explicitly explaining it, which I don't remember being an issue in Trigun/Maximum. On the other hand there's usually something cool to look at and the manga does have those little extra tidbits that are either only implied or cut altogether in the anime.

Dude's art is incredibly detailed and gorgeous, especially in splash pages, to act like it's not is folly.

It's just hard to parse sometimes in the small tankobon format, it's definitely a comic that deserves a bigger page format.

This story is actually my favorite in the comics because it's one of the cleanest and easiest to read while still being really cool looking.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

The resolution is a bit funnier in the comic because they mention that millions probably died because of the truck shrapnel thing, but they got bored counting so they just stopped. Jerusalem's Lot was a way crazier place than Hellsalem's Lot is I guess.

Dude's art is incredibly detailed and gorgeous, especially in splash pages, to act like it's not is folly.

It's just hard to parse sometimes in the small tankobon format, it's definitely a comic that deserves a bigger page format.

This story is actually my favorite in the comics because it's one of the cleanest and easiest to read while still being really cool looking.

Action scenes and sometimes dialogue can be a bit hard to follow, but the most noticeable flaw is a severe case of 90s pants.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The loss of detail on the outsiders hits especially hard in the anime, for as stylish as it is. Nightow's art for them made them look really otherworldly, whereas the simplified designs in the show look really smoothed out, almost like cheap rubber masks if you were to translate it directly to TV analogues.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Nightow is a stylish artist, but I sometimes have trouble following his action scenes (an issue which greatly decreased my appreciation of Trigun). To his credit, however, BBB seems more about spectacle than technique, and most action scenes don't last more than a couple pages, so it looks like he's found a way to minimize his shortcomings.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do not understand why this thread is not on board with calling the guy Dog Hummer as the anime requests.

Look at him, and tell me with a straight face that this is a man who does not hum to dogs.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I wonder if there's any chance of Nightow slipping White into the manga if the show does well.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Rodyle posted:

I wonder if there's any chance of Nightow slipping White into the manga if the show does well.

I wouldn't bet on it if she's there to set up the original ending.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
:allears:

Brody and Hummer is/are the best character(s).

Also, I really liked that one blue octopus dude who clapped when Chain and Zapp saved Leo.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I wonder if Brody and Hammer are still going to be around in more scenes then they are supposed to since I guess he never ended up back in Jail, that would be nice.

They're pretty underused in the comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sharkopath posted:

I wonder if Brody and Hammer are still going to be around in more scenes then they are supposed to since I guess he never ended up back in Jail, that would be nice.

They're pretty underused in the comic.

Well they are incarcerated prisoners :v:. Seriously though, I'd wager they probably are considering the series isn't all that long.

• Locked thread