Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
/!\ the dom4 inspector has an events tab now /!\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
im making GBS threads because that owns so hard

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Larz for president

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Holy poo poo that's amazing! Dom4 mod editor is better than any wiki :hf:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Voted 5

Larz
Jul 29, 2011
Is it wrong that I have more fun editing and updating the mod inspector then actually playing dom 4? I guess it's easier to look like I'm being productive at work...

Larz fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 30, 2015

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Dom4 is really bad

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
This is a cautionary tale about the inherent risks of magical experimentation in Dominions.

So I'm playing EA Ermor and see a spell called "Summon Lammashtas" that my mages can cast. What is a Lammashta you ask?

Hmm... they sounds dangerous. Better do a controlled field test before summoning them during a proper engagement. I have a small group with two mages that are cornered on the map and about to be destroyed either by a large force or thugs. The perfect opportunity to test this spell out.

Well, only one thug showed up and we still lost. Oh well, live and learn. But wait, what this strange flag showing on the province now?

Huh? What kind of flag is that? Shouldn't Khailasa's flag be flying there? He won the battle after all. Better check out the replay.

**BEGIN HILARIOUS EVENT CHAIN**

1) Lammashtas summon in and immediately start going apeshit on friendly troops.

2) During the chaos one lammashtas takes a break from slaughtering friendlies and goes for the thug.

3) The thug, despite being quite experienced and unharmed, immediately turns tail at the sight of this gruesome visage.

4) With the thug off the field, the lammashtas finish killing everyone else who hasn't already fled yet.

5) The lammashtas have defeated both sides, then promptly dissipate after battle because they are combat summons. The province in neutral and totally empty. No players, no independents. Just empty.

**END HILARIOUS EVENT CHAIN**

So that's what that flag means.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Lammashtas will focus on horror marked targets first AFAIK.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

So that's what that flag means.

Yep. Most people who get to late game will see it though, because Lammashtas aren't the big thing that result in them. No, lategame Horrorspam is what does it. Ritual summon a Horror on a province, it proceeds to eat the PD, and quite possibly an army, before vanishing again.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Larz posted:

Is it wrong that I have more fun editing and updating the mod inspector then actually playing dom 4? I guess it's easier to look like I'm being productive at work...

Good job Larz.

if you still have more time to burn in your project, I really would like this (very useful feature): obtain the list of spells a mage can cast. So in the sheet of a unit, if it has magical paths, there should be a link that launches the adequate query. For exampe if he is W2N1 + 100%W1F1, it would go to the spells tabs and show the W3N1F1 spells, with an inclusive search. Basically a join between W3N1 and W2N1F1, selecting only the unique rows.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

Lammashtas will focus on horror marked targets first AFAIK.

Would have been nice to know that back then when I summoned dozens of them and they all killed my mages first.

Edit:

That one weird air spell to send a magical phantom army into someones province also leaves that flag if they kill everything.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Also Horrors, and Ghost Riders. But not stuff like Call of the Winds or Call of the Wild or Awaken Treelord, because those summons are members of your nation and will claim the province for you if they win.

Incidentally, using Awaken Treelord as a remote attack is pretty much my favourite thing.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Boing posted:

Also Horrors, and Ghost Riders. But not stuff like Call of the Winds or Call of the Wild or Awaken Treelord, because those summons are members of your nation and will claim the province for you if they win.

Incidentally, using Awaken Treelord as a remote attack is pretty much my favourite thing.

Makes sense, if I throw phantoms around they obviously can't take provinces for me, since they aren't real.

Edit:

Also, the RNG is really loving me over in one of my games right now. Two times in a row now I had events besieging the fort my army has just taken. Which means instead of moving on, I'm spending two months now smashing those dumb event forces to clear the way. What the hell?

At this point I'm thinking maybe Nuklearmonkee planned this and uses spells to send me this crap

Libluini fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 1, 2015

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The attack all of your neighbors strategem does not seem very viable in this build and I hope that Trillwinter makes this more viable in the future.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Diplomacy is for the weak

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
And total war is for the weekend! Let your hair down

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Total war in Lazilum, at least if all you other assholes stuck to the plan.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Speaking of RNG....

quote:

2015-05-02 16:01:54 +0200
AI smarter pretender god design
AI can make pretenders with high levels of blood magic now
Fixed bug where AI for blood and death nations could waste up to 80 DP
Press 'r' when designing pretender to get a random design

I can imagine a game where people has to use a random Pretender (maybe best of 3 to make it fair).

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Random pretender and random disciples in a cataclysm game. :shepicide:

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014

Kitfox88 posted:

Random pretender and random disciples in a cataclysm game. :shepicide:

I'm in! :P

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
That sounds amazing and I kind of want to sit down and figure out how multiplayer works to participate. I've been playing dominions for years but never multiplayer because it seems complicated :saddowns:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

How are u posted:

I've been playing dominions for years but never multiplayer

:stonk:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
If you're playing with goons we have direct connect servers, so it's not really much harder than any other online gaming.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

How are u posted:

I've been playing dominions for years but never multiplayer

no! NO!!!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

How are u posted:

That sounds amazing and I kind of want to sit down and figure out how multiplayer works to participate. I've been playing dominions for years but never multiplayer because it seems complicated :saddowns:

you poor fuckin thing oh god

get in the irc

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Total war in Lazilum, at least if all you other assholes stuck to the plan.

I've been stockpiling and it's almost time for surprises and fun.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 3, 2015

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

How are u posted:

You have not been playing Dominions, then.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

How are u posted:

Come join us, we are all terrible down here.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

BurntCornMuffin posted:

It's not like most goon games aren't elaborate setups for fighting AI for 3/4 of the game :v:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

It's not like most goon games aren't elaborate setups for fighting AI for 3/4 of the game :v:

Unfortunately often true

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

In the end, there can be only one!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Alright I'll figure it out and join a game as soon as I get back from vacation. Looking forward to getting stomped into dirt. :slick:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

Honestly you guys should run Sombre's AI Recruitment Mod just so when this happens it isn't a total clusterfuck of a billion X Tribe Warriors, Light Infantry And Other Garbage.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Yeah once you sign up for GGS all you do is add the server IP and then connect. It will download and upload your turns automatically. So you just click connect to get the turn, back out and take the turn offline, then reconnect and have it upload. It is really easy and taking turns is very quick the more mages, men, and provinces you lose so keep that in mind.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was scripting mages the other day and thinking how limiting is the actual system. Of course it's good it has limits because it would be a freaking micro nightmare otherwise, but for example what I really want for my actual situation isn't what spells to cast the first five turns, what I really am interested is what my mages will cast in turns 4-9. I just want to script the same amount, five rounds, but in my case I would prefer giving orders for the part after the initial clash. But I can't :bang:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Some kind of restricted spell list would work, i.e. a "only ever cast these spells" order.

If they were hotkeyable (is that a word?) just like orders I don't see how that'd be any more micro than what's there currently.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

A repeat order would be nice.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Pfft. Get used to what things get cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007