Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Entering Anecdotal Zone
Lately the quality of parts I've ordered from iFixit has been really lovely. I've had several DC-in modules go bad on me, MBP 2009-2011 hard drive cables, miscellaneous flex cables refuse to work.. whereas stuff from Powerbook Medic has yet to fail me. I'd use PM more but they tend to go out of stock out of certain parts I order on a regular basis.
Leaving AZ

Kind of interesting to see that Micro Center now seems to be carrying a lot of iFixit's tools and kits.

admiraldennis: tried wrapping the cable in foil yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

Binary Badger posted:

Entering Anecdotal Zone
Lately the quality of parts I've ordered from iFixit has been really lovely. I've had several DC-in modules go bad on me, MBP 2009-2011 hard drive cables, miscellaneous flex cables refuse to work.. whereas stuff from Powerbook Medic has yet to fail me. I'd use PM more but they tend to go out of stock out of certain parts I order on a regular basis.
Leaving AZ

Kind of interesting to see that Micro Center now seems to be carrying a lot of iFixit's tools and kits.

admiraldennis: tried wrapping the cable in foil yet?

Interesting. I did send iFixIt an email last night asking how thoroughly they test these parts - afraid I may have gotten a bad "working" pull (it does appear to work OK at a glance).

Foil is a good idea, I will try that.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Fanatic posted:

MagSafe power chord

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Heh

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

loving brilliant.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

admiraldennis posted:

Interesting. I did send iFixIt an email last night asking how thoroughly they test these parts - afraid I may have gotten a bad "working" pull (it does appear to work OK at a glance).

Foil is a good idea, I will try that.

Tried foil - still getting errors :( Really good idea though.

Re: PowerBookMedic, they have better prices on the HD cables than iFixIt ($20 for "new" vs $25) and they also offer used ones ($7!). Glad I know about them now. Maybe I'll try one from them in case iFixIt shipped me a bad pull :sigh:

I :lol:d

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

RudeBoy posted:

I hope this is the right place to ask - i'm looking for a wireless remote/presentation device to use during Keynote presentations.
This bluetooth remote for $12.99 just came in the mail. Tested with Keynote: analog stick switches between slides, "start" starts or pauses the presentation, the other buttons can mute / volume. I bought it to use with Unity VR experiences with Google Cardboard. Also works with iCade. A slider button on the side switches it from iOS stuff to common keyboard emulation.

It also has a fantastically terrible engrish youtube video. I think they used a walkie talkie.

Edit: charges via micro USB.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 2, 2015

fnkels
Aug 17, 2004
I have a MacBook pro. When I'm listening to music in Spotify or vlc, when the screen turns off (as set by energy saver) , the sound will stop *after* the song is over.

When I touch the TouchPad to turn the screen volume turns on and music will already be playing. I can't for the life of me figure out how to keep the volume on when the screen turns off.

Anybody know how to fix this?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

I've been chuckling about this all day.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just replaced my 2011 MBA with a new i7 13" MBP with retina display, 16gb of ram and a 512gb SSD. Feels good, man. :frogc00l:

Now hopefully I'll be able to get that new Cintiq to hook up to this thing soon.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

admiraldennis posted:

Tried foil - still getting errors :( Really good idea though.

For what it's worth you can probably use the machine this way for a while. SATA is supposed to retry data transmission every time a CRC error is detected. If the link was really awful, even the retries would have a high chance of failing too, and I/O operations would fail to complete. At your rate of ~1 error per minute, though, things should generally work OK. (Of course, it might be interesting to see if the error rate scales up as you do more disk I/O...)

That said, IIRC the UDMA CRC is a simple CRC32, which has a high enough chance of failing to detect an error that I wouldn't want to go too long without remedying this problem somehow.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Can someone explain this to me?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Those are power chords.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Lord Windy posted:

Can someone explain this to me?

Chord != cord :ssh:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never used a Mac before, want to use one for word processing and simple web browsing / editing for my job; however, I don't need a $1k computer to dis this; are Mac Mini's respectable now a days? I remember when they first came out they're were not well liked here.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Abu Dave posted:

I've never used a Mac before, want to use one for word processing and simple web browsing / editing for my job; however, I don't need a $1k computer to dis this; are Mac Mini's respectable now a days? I remember when they first came out they're were not well liked here.

Mac Mini is perfectly fine for what you want to do. It's a laptop in a little box. They're decently powerful and I've done iOS development with the most modern version of OS X and Xcode on a 6 year old one. It's fine. It's a decent computer.

It's literally furthest from the flagship though that you can get. So if you whine "wahh it's slow" it's like "you bought a Porsche Boxter, you idiot".

The RAM is soldered in now, so max it out BTO. Max out storage too, since they're loving hard to get in to...

But no, they're decent machines.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool thanks for the help, i'm not worried about storage at all; nothing I do would exceed little documents in Word (or whatever the gently caress you apple users use for documents), and i'd stream any music from Spotify. I'm not worried about slowness; i've been using a Pentium 3 at work. At like 1 ghz speed with 1 gig of ram.

Thanks for the help though!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Abu Dave posted:

Cool thanks for the help, i'm not worried about storage at all; nothing I do would exceed little documents in Word (or whatever the gently caress you apple users use for documents), and i'd stream any music from Spotify. I'm not worried about slowness; i've been using a Pentium 3 at work. At like 1 ghz speed with 1 gig of ram.

Thanks for the help though!

Yeeeeeeah this will be a big upgrade for you. And "what the gently caress Apple users use for documents": Word!! hahah.. MS Office on OS X is quite comprehensive, just Excel sucks, and Keynote is better than PowerPoint.

A lot of people hate the OS X Office UI, but I like it more than the Windows one.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Get a MacBook Air for a much better experience. The mini is literally the guts of a base-model Air shoved into a desktop enclosure.

For like $200 more on the apple refurb store you can get a mini in the body of a really well built, really small notebook with a 12 hour battery.

Half of what Apple does so well is hardware design and fit/finish. You lose all of that in a Mini. It's not even a pretty object to look at like Apple's other desktops.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Another dumb question, do any type of USB mice and keyboards work with macs?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

Another dumb question, do any type of USB mice and keyboards work with macs?

All of them.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Get a MacBook Air for a much better experience. The mini is literally the guts of a base-model Air shoved into a desktop enclosure.

For like $200 more on the apple refurb store you can get a mini in the body of a really well built, really small notebook with a 12 hour battery.

Half of what Apple does so well is hardware design and fit/finish. You lose all of that in a Mini. It's not even a pretty object to look at like Apple's other desktops.

I don't want a laptop, unfortuantely. I don't like small screens in a oddly personal level. Also theres Mac Minis for $400 on the refurb store which is a tolerable price for osmething transportable.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FGEM2LL/A/Refurbished-Mac-Mini-14GHz-Dual-core-Intel-Core-i5

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Abu Dave posted:

; i've been using a Pentium 3 at work.
There must be some place you can report your employer.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Abu Dave posted:

I do feel like the 11" Macbook Air gives you a lot more bang for your buck, if you can scrounge up the extra $400. It's got better specs on everything except port count, has an SSD rather than a spinny disk, and you can use it as a laptop if you want.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Macbook Air's don't seem to have a HDMI out port like the mac mini; so that'd be even more money for a Mac only monitor right? Unless the Mac Mini's are the same way and you can't use any old monitor

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The Air will be much faster and more future-proof than the mini will by virtue of the included storage. The gulf between PCIe solid state storage and the 5400rpm platter drive that comes in the mini is colossal. Without trying to be hyperbolic, it's about a decade's worth of performance gain that you miss out on (the last computer I owned with a 5400rpm boot drive was from 2007).

Also, nobody says that you can't use the Air as a desktop in closed clamshell mode with the perk of occasional notebook use. I used my old 2011 Air like that for about a year.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Abu Dave posted:

The Macbook Air's don't seem to have a HDMI out port like the mac mini; so that'd be even more money for a Mac only monitor right? Unless the Mac Mini's are the same way and you can't use any old monitor

It's like $7 for a mini-displayport to HDMI or DVI adapter

It's not Mac-only, even ThinkPads come with a mini-dp port these days.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bob Morales posted:

It's like $7 for a mini-displayport to HDMI or DVI adapter

It's not Mac-only, even ThinkPads come with a mini-dp port these days.

Oh sorry, all I saw was the Thunderport when i googled image searched for ports.

I don't know, I guess if you guys say the Mac Mini is that bad. I'm such a low power user at work that I find it kind of hard to spend $800 on a MacBook when all it's doing is word processing and running flash :shrug:.
I own a iPad and barely like having to worry about that all the time.

Actually that's another good question; is Flash nonexistant on Mac OS like it is with a iPad?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Apple are basically trying to kill flash. I don't think Flash will run at all on the latest OS X without the very latest version of Flash being installed.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

Unless you're talking about Thunderbolt (which you clearly don't need) there's also no such thing as a "Mac-only" monitor.

Macs can output to either HDMI and/or Mini DisplayPort. Both are standards on pretty much all monitors in some form these days.

They're also inter-compatible with the use of cheap adapters in case you don't have a perfect match. A good MDP-to-HDMI adapter is like $5 from Monoprice.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

Oh sorry, all I saw was the Thunderport when i googled image searched for ports.

I don't know, I guess if you guys say the Mac Mini is that bad. I'm such a low power user at work that I find it kind of hard to spend $800 on a MacBook when all it's doing is word processing and running flash :shrug:.
I own a iPad and barely like having to worry about that all the time.

Actually that's another good question; is Flash nonexistant on Mac OS like it is with a iPad?

It's just simply not worth the savings to me. Independent of whether you use it as a notebook or not, the Air's performance gains are worth way more than what you end up saving with a mini.

You'd pay more in upgrading a base-model mini to the same performance level without getting all of the other benefits.

It's like if a contractor said, "I'll build you a wall for $60k or I'll build you a house for $80k."

And flash totally works on OSX, but it is a hog of a program. You're better off running a "click to flash" browser extension in chrome/safari/firefox or not running flash at all- though it's not nearly as important when you're not on battery power.

And everyone's trying to kill flash. Android doesn't support it, other platforms hate it...it's dying, albeit a little slowly in some places. A lot of the internet's done really well to get rid of it tho- in the effort to get more mobile-friendly.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 4, 2015

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I understand, the only thing is the thing I do for work requires Flash, which sucks but, hey, that's the state government for you!!!

I should clarify that I was looking for something of very base line anyways and found the mac mini in comparison with Sub $450 PC's; if I'm going to spend $850 on a mac book air I might as well just go with a PC Laptop which would be more powerful anyways no? That's where i'm looking at it. I understand and appreciate where you're coming from though :shrug:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

If I have to do anything in Flash I just use Chrome.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That $499 Mac mini is kind of a trap. It's not very good, but it sure is cheap! Given that, if you pay the $150 to upgrade it to a Fusion drive, it's probably pretty tolerable.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I'm so glad flash is dying. I remember calling it horseshit and hating it and saying plugins were a terrible idea back in 2002 or so, everyone roundly pounced on me since people still thought applets and flash were the future of the web. People would shout you down and call you stupid if you dared criticize flash in a meeting back in those days, amazing how much that has changed.

Has apple made any announcements about whether new new trackpad/keyboard in the macbook will make it to the macbook pros? The keys in particular feel really great, they don't have that lateral wiggle that the current pro keys have if you don't hit them dead on center.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Pryor on Fire posted:

Has apple made any announcements about whether new new trackpad/keyboard in the macbook will make it to the macbook pros? The keys in particular feel really great, they don't have that lateral wiggle that the current pro keys have if you don't hit them dead on center.
Seems unlikely. While the marketing team spun it as a "revolutionary new style" the entire reason it was even invented was so they could make the Macbook even thinner. There's no technological reason to add it to the MBP unless they really really wanna put another 1mm sliver of battery in there.

EDIT: The trackpad already made the move though. That's a real thing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

if I'm going to spend $850 on a mac book air I might as well just go with a PC Laptop which would be more powerful anyways no?

No. Why would it be?

A lot of those "rules" that people had about Macs vs PCs in 2005 really don't exist anymore.

MacBook Airs are still very competitively priced for their category. More so than the mini, in my opinion.

Also forget we said anything about flash. It will work fine. I don't think you're going to be in the category of users that would notice anything about it.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Apple are basically trying to kill flash. I don't think Flash will run at all on the latest OS X without the very latest version of Flash being installed.

The "not running at all unless it's the latest" thing is because Flash has security vulnerabilities so often that Apple frequently blacklists older versions so users can't inadvertently degrade their browser's security.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Abu Dave posted:

I understand, the only thing is the thing I do for work requires Flash, which sucks but, hey, that's the state government for you!!!

I should clarify that I was looking for something of very base line anyways and found the mac mini in comparison with Sub $450 PC's; if I'm going to spend $850 on a mac book air I might as well just go with a PC Laptop which would be more powerful anyways no? That's where i'm looking at it. I understand and appreciate where you're coming from though :shrug:

Don't listen to them, the mac mini is a good machine and an air is in no way worth the huge amount to upgrade it at all. I would say though that you could probably get a more powerful mini by buying a used model. The base one now is quite low powered, which it sounds like is fine for what you want, but you could still probably grab a beefier older model with a cursory look around on eBay etc.

But yeah, the minis are great little machines and its definitely not worth the jump up to an air if you're not interested in portability at all. I'd say if anything, if you were to spend more money, just grab the fusion drive model rather than an air. But even then if you're used to using a p3 1gb machine it doesn't really matter so much as anything is going to be a huge improvement.

edit: Also don't forget about Apple refurbs. For example there is currently a 2.6ghz, 8gb RAM, 1TB HDD Mini on there for only $89 more than the base brand new mac mini, as well as a refurb base level mac mini that you were looking at for $419 instead of $499.

Stux fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I got to try out the new macbook keyboard today while buying my dad a new ipod for his birthday (he inherited my mum's old ipod mini and I think that deserved a new one); I didn't like it. It felt like my friends macbook after she'd accidentally spilled most of a bottle of irn bru on it, incredibly sticky and not at all nice.

also add me to the list of people recommending installing Chrome just to use flash