Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The D'Arby fight is on the verge of ending and Avdol's death is basically what starts the Vanilla Ice fight, so it will all happen next episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's no doubt that his death will either be the end of the episode or really close to the end. don't remember the overall length of the fight and/or how much time it'll take after next week's episode, but there's no better time to end the intro to vanilla ice than to have avdol creamed.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

but there's no better time to end the intro to vanilla ice than to have avdol creamed.

nice

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Waffleman_ posted:

If they were going balls-deep, they'd loving dub the anime.

What's the hold-up?
I can wait on the dub, just gimmie that Part 4 goodness.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

D'Arby's got a chapter and a half left in him, there's no way they're extending that out to the whole episode, then ending on the start of Vanilla Cool Ice; especially since the next episode is named after Ice.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
The next episode will probably be half D'Arby and half vanilla ice ending with Avdol dying. Then there's 25 chapters left to fit into 6 episodes, which means VI will probably be two episodes and end with Suzy Q and leave DIO 4 episodes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Wasn't 48 episodes always just a presumed, likely number anyway?

I've never really seen something official saying "we're doing 48" just guesses because the trip to Egypt was 24. The PB/BT season was 26, so it's not like they haven't gone beyond 24 for a single season run.

Not that it hasn't been said, but I wouldn't mind seeing where it was said, if it was.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

DamnGlitch posted:

How much more of the darby fight is there? Does avdols death come up that quickly after?

They kill Kenny G, Vanilla Ice talks to Dio and gets turned to a vampire, Vanilla Ice murders Avdol

Aurain posted:

Wasn't 48 episodes always just a presumed, likely number anyway?

I've never really seen something official saying "we're doing 48" just guesses because the trip to Egypt was 24. The PB/BT season was 26, so it's not like they haven't gone beyond 24 for a single season run.

Not that it hasn't been said, but I wouldn't mind seeing where it was said, if it was.

This is also true- they blew up the pace the past two episodes but the rest of the time it's been about 3 chapters per episode which would mean: six episode DIO fight, though they could undoubtedly condense it to five. A looot of it is dialogue though so I'd be hard pressed to say they can bring it to just four.

FeedingHam2Cats fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 3, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

They kill Kenny G, Vanilla Ice talks to Dio and gets turned to a vampire, Vanilla Ice murders Avdol

Kenny G dies after the talk with Dio.

Poor Kenny G. He might've lived if it wasn't for Pet Shop pissing off Iggy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

My new hobby is laughing at threads/posts where people ask when the filler is going to end.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bad Seafood posted:

My new hobby is laughing at threads/posts where people ask when the filler is going to end.

Share the laughs.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

What episodes are important?

I could post several but this one just about sums them all up.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

This is on you for reading another anime forum, which I've found to be almost uniformly poo poo.

That said this dude sucks and it's really funny.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The MAL forums are worse than most. I go in explicitly looking for these and for no other purpose.

Sadly some of the best ones are from /a/ and lost to all time.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Cowboy Bebop filler discussion triggers me deeply

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Can't wait for the Part 4 adaptation where there isn't even a plot for like the first half of it.

The Italian food episode will be the litmus test for who truly deserves to watch Jojo.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Bad Seafood posted:

Can't wait for the Part 4 adaptation where there isn't even a plot for like the first half of it.

The Italian food episode will be the litmus test for who truly deserves to watch Jojo.

And indeed, who deserves anime in general.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
How the hell is he complaining about the Alessi fight?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Because he is incapable of appreciating anything that does not explicitly move the plot forward even after we've established that the plot is fighting dudes.

I understand his mindset because I too once thought such foolish things.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

MelvinBison posted:

How the hell is he complaining about the Alessi fight?

Because it's the worst fight in all of Egypt. Alessi is one of the most one-note villains, and the turnabout where he starts losing isn't as creative as a lot of Jojo's fights are.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dire Wombat posted:

Because it's the worst fight in all of Egypt. Alessi is one of the most one-note villains, and the turnabout where he starts losing isn't as creative as a lot of Jojo's fights are.
To quote a Primus album title, they can't all be winners.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
The Alessi fight just makes me kind of uncomfortable because it has a ton of creepy subtext, plus I hate Polnareff's stupid buckteeth kid design. Alessi losing to elementary school kid Jotaro is fantastic but I usually skip the fight on a reread.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The setup and conclusion are great, but it takes a while to get going and when it gets going it suddenly ends.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

Because he is incapable of appreciating anything that does not explicitly move the plot forward even after we've established that the plot is fighting dudes.

I understand his mindset because I too once thought such foolish things.

I mean, that's just loving nuts, it's not like this is a 200 episode long series, it's 48, and the constant moving toward Egypt plus the known quantity of bad guys means the show has a really strong sense of progress. The "plot" episodes are literally the first 5 episodes, the first half of ep 25 so you meet Iggy, then skip to Vanilla Ice. That's sure a great anime, right guys?

The perfect illustration of this being a bad idea is Sailor Moon Crystal; that show is just the plot episodes of Sailor Moon, and it really suffers from its breakneck pacing. I just want a little room to breathe and get to know the characters, but there's literally no time to do that, just constant Moon politics coverage and people I've barely gotten to know getting kidnapped. Stardust Crusaders really got the pace and structure of a monster-of-the-week style manga just right; it's really impressive how nicely it flows. It helps that it has amazingly unconventional fights like Lovers and D'arby to give variety to the Crusader's encounters, whereas any other shonen series would have considered Anubis to a be pretty out there fight.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dire Wombat posted:

When is he winning? Polnareff has the whole situation under control aside from the parts where he's made younger.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

When is he winning? Polnareff has the whole situation under control aside from the parts where he's made younger.

so, like, the majority of the fight?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Imagine a Stardust Crusaders with no Good!,Oingo Boingo, Hol Horse only showing up once, no Joseph and Avdol's homoerotic hijinks and the other slightly less iconic beatdowns and panels.

It'd be so lovely.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Aurain posted:

Imagine a Stardust Crusaders with no Good!,Oingo Boingo, Hol Horse only showing up once, no Joseph and Avdol's homoerotic hijinks and the other slightly less iconic beatdowns and panels.

It'd be so lovely.

So, the OVA? :v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's really no coincidence that D'Arby and DIO are the only good parts of the OVA because the source material there is impossible to gently caress up if you follow it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Honestly, if you were to dilute Part 3 to its barest possible essentials (don't know why you'd want this, but let's humor you), it'd end up like this:
  • Everything that happens in Japan
  • The Tower of Gray
  • Silver Chariot
  • The Emperor & The Hanged Man
  • Justice
  • The Lovers
  • Judgment
  • N'Dour
  • Petshop
  • D'Arby the Gamer
  • Vanilla Ice
  • Dio's World
These are the plot important fights, though a couple of them only qualify by a hair. Notice how Jotaro doesn't do anything for awhile after they leave Japan, or how Joseph is essentially useless until D'Arby the Gamer with only a quick use of his powers to see his own brain during the Lovers. Avdol does a bunch of stuff, "Dies," comes back, doesn't really do anything, then dies again to save Polnareff. Speaking of Polnareff, dude dominates the first half of the story only to virtually disappear until it's time for Vanilla Ice.

Kakyoin and Iggy don't do too badly.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think you could probably cut out Justice and Lovers if you're going to the extreme of making it barebones as possible, because while those fights take Enya out, she's only really key in retrospect regarding the Arrow. As a standalone part, Enya is pretty expendable.

If you're not against re-writing around it a little, you could also possibly do away with Pet Shop, because Iggy no sells the missing leg after the fact. To that degree, you could even write around D'Arby the Gamer with little effort.

---me being dumb---
I don't agree that Polnareff loses relevance until Ice after the first half though, he's a focus through out. Anubis and Alessi are Polly fights and he's a key character of both Boingo bits. He gets a disproportionately large amount of air time all the way through, though it's probably because Araki just likes being able to write sidekicks who have fun and can be played for comedy. Okuyasu following Polly directly probably isn't a random thing.

e: ↓ Ah, yeah, of course.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 4, 2015

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I think he means that in that prospective barebones rework of the series, Polnareff would be largely irrelevant. It'd be hard to deny that he's among the most focused-on members of the man cast in the actual story.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Polnareff is great, but his Part V cameo is sort of dumb and pointless. The lovely translated version wouldn't lose a lot from having it be someone else.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Aurain posted:

Polnareff is great, but his Part V cameo is sort of dumb and pointless. The lovely translated version wouldn't lose a lot from having it be someone else.

It's true but Polnareff loving up everything, getting owned and then having to be a ghost haunting a turtle is one of the funniest things in the series.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

chaos rhames posted:

It's true but Polnareff loving up everything, getting owned and then having to be a ghost haunting a turtle is one of the funniest things in the series.

His ghost is trapped forever in a place that doesn't have a bathroom

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

FirstAidKite posted:

His ghost is trapped forever in a place that doesn't have a bathroom

Nothing bad can ever happen to him again.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TDlBT5iokE

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
You guys remember that guy from Part 7 named Mrs. Robinson who kept bugs inside his eyes? That wasn't a Stand power, he just did that.

Early Part 7 fights were just loving weirdos running up to Johnny and Gyro and fighting them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

You guys remember that guy from Part 7 named Mrs. Robinson who kept bugs inside his eyes? That wasn't a Stand power, he just did that.

Early Part 7 fights were just loving weirdos running up to Johnny and Gyro and fighting them.

You'd be jealous if there was a bunch of dudes that good looking stealing your glory in the race too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Moltrey posted:

We are the sons of The Boss. I am The Pain.

• Locked thread