Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Jon Zyetta posted:

If only his first name was Richard. :shepspends:

Yea, it's funny, but poo poo like that does happen. Part of my job is to ask every single person their name and date of birth and then verify it matches our computer records. It's amazing the things people will give their kids as a first name to match up with their surnames just to make a terrible joke. It's just so freaking cruel, but to do it to their own children just for lullz. And then I always wonder why the hell they don't have their name changed. They wouldn't even have to give the courts a reason - it would be super obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Karma Monkey posted:

Yea, it's funny, but poo poo like that does happen. Part of my job is to ask every single person their name and date of birth and then verify it matches our computer records. It's amazing the things people will give their kids as a first name to match up with their surnames just to make a terrible joke. It's just so freaking cruel, but to do it to their own children just for lullz. And then I always wonder why the hell they don't have their name changed. They wouldn't even have to give the courts a reason - it would be super obvious.

One of my old coworkers had the last name Artz. He always joked that he'd name his kids Marshall and Liberal.

I wouldn't put it past him.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Karma Monkey posted:

My Ex-Wife's last name is Walker. Her father was going to name her Luke Sky if she was a boy. Luckily, he ended up with 3 daughters.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Apparently she freaked out convinced he was going to get murdered by the national guard, which is a perfectly reasonable fear.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Karma Monkey posted:

Danger Us Lee

It exists, he was in my boy scout troop.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I went to school with a Wayne Kerr.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Astrofig posted:

Apparently she freaked out convinced he was going to get murdered by the national guard, which is a perfectly reasonable fear.

Honestly I'll take my chances with a national guard unit any day of the week. They've killed what, 4 civilians on US soil in the last 45 years? 4 dead people is a slow news week by police standards.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I know a kid named Charlie Brown, the poor bastard.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Slime posted:

Sounds like he gotta rock, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Slime posted:

Good grief.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Slime posted:

As long as he doesn't play football in school he should be fine.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I knew a Charlie Brown. Before he worked at the Paramount he worked at the W hotel as a front desk clerk. Kid came up to him, probably the hundredth to do so, and asked him how snoopy was. He told the kid Snoopy had to be put down years ago. Apparently the kid didn't stop crying til they made it to their hotel room. Charlie, actually Bruce Charles Brown died a few years back. I still tell that damned story whenever I can. Man, I miss him.

Oh, at the same job, there's a volunteer, Richard Head.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Kilo147 posted:

I knew a Charlie Brown. Before he worked at the Paramount he worked at the W hotel as a front desk clerk. Kid came up to him, probably the hundredth to do so, and asked him how snoopy was. He told the kid Snoopy had to be put down years ago. Apparently the kid didn't stop crying til they made it to their hotel room. Charlie, actually Bruce Charles Brown died a few years back. I still tell that damned story whenever I can. Man, I miss him.

Oh, at the same job, there's a volunteer, Richard Head.

Was it a requirement on that job to have a terrible name?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
There was a richard head at my 6th form - one of the teachers. No-one went with it, because he was genuinely one of the nicest guys in existence.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"Rich Head" sounds like an Austin Powers villain so there's always that option

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Slime posted:

Is he a clown, that Charlie Brown?

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

razorrozar posted:

"Rich Head" sounds like an Austin Powers villain so there's always that option

I actually knew an Austin Powers in high school. He was a very uninteresting person. I guess it's better than Charlie Brown though.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I knew a Bobby Brown in the early 90s. Fat white kid who played the accordion.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pookel posted:

Well, that's his prerogative.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

flosofl posted:

Well, that's his prerogative.

:golfclap:

(And now that drat song is stuck in my head.)

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

My high school biology teacher was named Mr. Dick Wrinkle.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

My name is PYF terrible names

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

pookel posted:

They say he's the cutest boy in town.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I thought this was that thread :saddowns:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

razorrozar posted:

I thought this was that thread :saddowns:

Oh, poo poo, so did I. :doh:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a bunch of Sun front pages that aren't "Gotcha!"

I sort of appreciate the sentiment, but the manner of articulation leaves something to be desried:

The Americans got Bin Laden:

Left: morning edition. Right: late edition:

Left (:haw:): Scottish Sun. Right (:haw:): London Sun.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Onion is very weird these days.
Wait... what?

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
I don't care if this is real or not:

Man Punches Bear In Face To Save Dog

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Left (:haw:): Scottish Sun. Right (:haw:): London Sun.

Say what you want about old Rupert, but he always backs a winner...

Edit - and by winner, I hope I mean the Tories don't get enough for a majority

Amphigory has a new favorite as of 17:47 on May 1, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Amphigory posted:

At least in Australia, that's because he picks the winner. He blatantly propagandizes whichever party benefits his holdings the most, and since he owns most of the papers and the subscription TV model he'll influence a fuckton of the outcome.

Sometimes the poo poo he'll get away with as a 'news outlet' is funny in how flagrant it is.

Yeah, that certainly looks like an impartial analysis of the political situation.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Amphigory posted:

Nobody will get a majority. The arithmetic just isn't there. Based on my awareness of the figures, it's very likely that Labour could have gotten a majority, but the SNP surge has undercut that quite drastically. Nonetheless, they still have a good chance of being the biggest party next Friday, but they're looking at a minority government with support from Plaid (if they get anyone in) and possibly the DUP.

Of course, neither of them have much presence here, so I'll probably end up voting for Lady Hermon again. I don't tend to decide until the last minute, though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nobody will get a majority. The arithmetic just isn't there. Based on my awareness of the figures, it's very likely that Labour could have gotten a majority, but the SNP surge has undercut that quite drastically. Nonetheless, they still have a good chance of being the biggest party next Friday, but they're looking at a minority government with support from Plaid (if they get anyone in) and possibly the DUP.

I know this isn't the thread, but can you in very few words describe the difference compared to the Danish system? Cause we have had maybe five majority governments ever, aside from them it's all been coalitions of a right or left spectrum of parties. Wouldnt it be kindof the same in Australia, then? To make actual legislation, they'd need to get some other parties on top of their own?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with the Danish system. I assume it uses multiple-member constituencies and a proportional electoral formula? In that case, the key difference is that Britain relies on single-member constituencies with a plurality electoral formula. This gives rise, at least in theory, to what is known as Duverger's law; when the Single Member Plurality system is used, it will tend to produce a two-party system with a tendency toward majority governments in the parliament. Obviously, this is not always the case in practice.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah, in Denmark all parties above 2% get their share of the total seats, in that sense its very fair. Imo the real problem is the constituency voting anything right of left. :marx: wtf why doesnt this smiley exist

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

Apparently my idea for "Cat Court" wasn't as original as I had thought.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Turfahurf posted:

Apparently my idea for "Cat Court" wasn't as original as I had thought.

We'll now take a brief recess. By way of reminder, we ask the jurors to please not poop in the sandbox

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

canyoneer posted:

We'll now take a brief recess. By way of reminder, we ask the jurors to please not poop in the sandbox

...again. I'm looking at you mittens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Defendant was given 9 life sentences