Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

This one's more of a troll from the developers to another company. The recently released game Chroma Squad is about stunt actors from sentai action shows (like Power Rangers). They fight mudmen and transform into colorful superheroes after posing and shouting a catch phrase, and during big battles they will summon a giant robot to duke it out in the streets. The party gets instruction from a giant brain in a glass tube and you get points in the way of audience members, and they appreciate it when you end the episode with a special move very much like the most entries in the sentai genre.

The company Saban owns the rights to the Power Rangers, and when they heard about this game being developed they sent lawyers to make sure the Power Rangers was being properly credited. Even though Power Rangers is only one example of a large genre, and that the game is much more about the production of a sentai show than being a Power Rangers game.

Anyway, from what I understand the developers acquiesced to Saban's requests, which were a small cut of the profits and a mention of them in the game's... marketing? Signage? If you look any where for Chroma Squad, you'll see a little "Inspired by Saban's Power Rangers" in small print nearby. It's even on the title page.

I just played right through The Wonderful 101 and saw nary a mention of Saban. Of course, Nintendo probably has pretty good lawyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

Of course, Nintendo probably has pretty good lawyers.

This can prevent legal disputes from ever happening. It's a lot harder to send an army of lawyers against another army than after a small company who can't afford the expense (which is how patent trolls get away with the poo poo they do).

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lord Lambeth posted:

I just played right through The Wonderful 101 and saw nary a mention of Saban. Of course, Nintendo probably has pretty good lawyers.

Chroma Squad is a much more overt "real 90s kids remember this!!!" homage to Power Rangers by a bunch of white dudes while Wonderful 101 is a generic Japanese superhero game made by actual Japanese people. It doesn't change what a miserable twat Saban is but they're completely different.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Chroma Squad is a much more overt "real 90s kids remember this!!!" homage to Power Rangers by a bunch of white dudes while Wonderful 101 is a generic Japanese superhero game made by actual Japanese people. It doesn't change what a miserable twat Saban is but they're completely different.

you're such a positive, joyful person who isn't a weird bitter gently caress every time you post

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

pretty soft girl posted:

lmao capcom actually does treat their IPs (and fans) like poo poo for nearly every reason except for retro boxart megaman, how could this guy be so wrong on every point he makes

Remember that this is the same company that decided to A) at start, not release any DLC for the Dead Rising 2 on PS3 until much, much later, and then B) still made Xbox-only DLC content for the same IP, and finally C) tanked their entire Dead Rising franchise by being completely tone-deaf towards fans by making the third a serious, grimdark DLC bait.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

The group behind Chroma Squad is Brazilian.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

President Kucinich posted:

That Megaman is awesome.

Should've been in Mega Man's final smash.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

LawfulWaffle posted:

This one's more of a troll from the developers to another company. The recently released game Chroma Squad is about stunt actors from sentai action shows (like Power Rangers). They fight mudmen and transform into colorful superheroes after posing and shouting a catch phrase, and during big battles they will summon a giant robot to duke it out in the streets. The party gets instruction from a giant brain in a glass tube and you get points in the way of audience members, and they appreciate it when you end the episode with a special move very much like the most entries in the sentai genre.

The company Saban owns the rights to the Power Rangers, and when they heard about this game being developed they sent lawyers to make sure the Power Rangers was being properly credited. Even though Power Rangers is only one example of a large genre, and that the game is much more about the production of a sentai show than being a Power Rangers game.

Anyway, from what I understand the developers acquiesced to Saban's requests, which were a small cut of the profits and a mention of them in the game's... marketing? Signage? If you look any where for Chroma Squad, you'll see a little "Inspired by Saban's Power Rangers" in small print nearby. It's even on the title page.

A good counter troll is the game starts with you leaving your original production company because you're tired of their boring poo poo. You later fight their lawyer who is a straight up red horns devil while a guest character yells at them for being lovely and trying to steal credit for the ideas of others.

Makes me wonder if that part was in the game before Saban butted in.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Der Kyhe posted:

Remember that this is the same company that decided to A) at start, not release any DLC for the Dead Rising 2 on PS3 until much, much later, and then B) still made Xbox-only DLC content for the same IP, and finally C) tanked their entire Dead Rising franchise by being completely tone-deaf towards fans by making the third a serious, grimdark DLC bait.

The last part isn't true. The DR3 trailers and marketing were all grimdark and serious but the game is almost exactly the same as the previous DRs in tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVgLDeSLmgA

It was a marketing failure because the people making the game kept the balls out insanity in but the people marketing the game thought "Hey the TWD is hugely popular,. let's try to make people think our game is like that"

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
For a few versions now in the Football Manager series, if the real date and the in-game date are both April 1st, this will happen:

When you accept your half a billion pounds, this happens:

Brutal.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Internet Kraken posted:

No you just didn't notice the problems because you were a dumb kid like the rest of us. Gen 1 of Pokemon was a complete mess.

I'm not following you dude. With most of those things, it would be impossible to tell whether they were working as intended or not, and the reason they're Bad or whatever is that when you get down to the mechanics & raw numbers they don't make sense for competitive play, which is absolutely not something 12-year-old me cared about while playin pokemans.

On the other hand, I never got to do the "real" main quest in Morrowind, because the guy you talk to in Vivec (?) City would never give me the next bit of the quest. "Oh yeah that happens sometimes," advises GameFAQs, "you should probably just start over." :shrug:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the real problem with generation 1 pokemon was that psychic-type was completely broken

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Alouicious posted:

the real problem with generation 1 pokemon was that psychic-type was completely broken

Yeah that was obviously completely hosed even when I was a child, and that's not a bug as much as it is some really awful balancing.

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax
Well, Ghost types couldn't even hit Psychic types in gen 1 due to a bug, but it was a moot point since the only Ghost-type attack (aside from Night Shade, which deals fixed damage independent of type effectiveness) was Lick, which was extremely weak.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

There was a bug involved though where ghosts were completely ineffective against psychics despite the game itself saying otherwise.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ChaosArgate posted:

There was a bug involved though where ghosts were completely ineffective against psychics despite the game itself saying otherwise.

You would never notice anyway because there are a total of three ghost type moves.

There were also only four bug type moves, which leave a lot to be desired and are learned almost exclusively by poison types.

gently caress psychic pokemon in gen 1.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

Looking at Pokemon and Final Fantasy 6 makes you really appreciate modern RPGs. Like, yeah, Skyrim had some glitches that made some quests freak out but at least it didn't have entire stats and status effects that were completely worthless thanks to a mistake by the programmers.

My experience with Japanese adventure games is that every status effect is completely loving worthless in every game.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Jerry Cotton posted:

My experience with Japanese adventure games is that every status effect is completely loving worthless in every game.

Yeah, JRPGs kinda made it so that every time I encounter a status effecting offense usable in a game it feels really weird when it actually works against enemies.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, JRPGs kinda made it so that every time I encounter a status effecting offense usable in a game it feels really weird when it actually works against enemies.

Yeah I honestly wish they'd stop including them unless they were actually worth using. Seems like a massive oversight no one's cleared up in over 20 years of RPG games.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Status effects not only work but are close to essential endgame and postgame in Final Fantasy 13.

Then again, the troll there is that you got to endgame and postgame in Final Fantasy 13.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Somehow combining troll-chat, guide-chat and pokemon-chat, but I had a guidebook for gold/silver that not only wouldn't tell you information, but straight up made a point of telling you it's withholding stuff.

There's a guy here. What pokemon does he have? Oh, you'll just have to battle him to find out :downs:

Wow, there's a really desirable item in this huge, multi-level, dark dungeon. Where? We just said!

You just got a new pokemon? It could evolve one way... or maybe a different way! How? Try experimenting!

ugh.

Contrast to a really awesome r/b/y guidebook I had (not the one posted earlier, I think) that did poo poo like getting into 100 wild pokemon battles in every area for a good set of encounter rates, a full pokedex of level up and tm moves, stats at level 100 (probably not completely accurate since no one really knew how that worked at the time, but they did note that pokemon raised from low levels by battle were stronger than those caught higher or raised by rare candy), actual strategies and sample teams (they all had mewtwo and like 4 mewtwo counters), differentiating between red/blue and yellow...

The last sample team was also probably the greatest troll team ever. It's 5 super poo poo pokemon with sleep moves and whatnot just to draw things out. The entire time though, you have to talk poo poo about how your last pokemon is like, a super rare pokegod that your uncle at nintendo showed you how to get and it will destroy them effortlessly and all that.

Then it turns out to be... a level 5 caterpie. When your opponent is confused/angry/laughing you just reach over and pop the batteries out of their gameboy and run away :laugh:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah status effects are making a comeback these days. I believe almost every Atlus game these days has really good status effects. In monster hunter, status effects are amazing. In citizens of earth, they are pretty great as well, but usually come along with normal attacks.

Also they were awesome in final fantasy 5. I think there are about 7-10 bosses that can be killed with instant death, including a part of the last boss. A few that can be put to sleep, which in that game you only wake up if you get hit with a physical attack. Blind does work as well.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mazerunner posted:

Contrast to a really awesome r/b/y guidebook I had (not the one posted earlier, I think) that did poo poo like getting into 100 wild pokemon battles in every area for a good set of encounter rates, a full pokedex of level up and tm moves, stats at level 100 (probably not completely accurate since no one really new how that worked at the time, but they did note that pokemon raised from low levels by battle were stronger than those caught higher or raised by rare candy), actual strategies and sample teams (they all had mewtwo and like 4 mewtwo counters).

The last sample team was also probably the greatest troll team ever. It's 5 super poo poo pokemon with sleep moves and whatnot just to draw things out. The entire time though, you have to talk poo poo about how your last pokemon is like, a super rare pokegod that your uncle at nintendo showed you how to get and it will destroy them effortlessly and all that.

Then it turns out to be... a level 5 caterpie. When your opponent is confused/angry/laughing you just reach over and pop the batteries out of their gameboy and run away :laugh:

That guide owned so many bones. I don't remember what the 5 were but they were all the same lovely pokemon. Magikarp or one of the cocoons I think.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
When Hitman: Contracts came out one of the game guide companies did an experiment where they released a video walkthrough on DVD that had a snarky narrator explaining game mechanics and making jokes. I don't think it did very well because that's the only game I ever saw it for, and from what I saw of it it was hugely clunky to have to navigate the DVD on a laptop every time you needed help, but it's kind of amazing that they more or less predicted Let's Plays/Twitch a year before YouTube even existed.

Also at one point Steam was selling digital copies of Prima strategy guides, which I'm sure is completely unrelated to the fact that it took them until years later to add support for community-made guides.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Nighthand posted:

Status effects not only work but are close to essential endgame and postgame in Final Fantasy 13.

Then again, the troll there is that you got to endgame and postgame in Final Fantasy 13.

Slow is also strong against most/every boss in Final Fantasy 4.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Monster Hunter has really good status effects but for all of 3U I totally distrusted their effectiveness because I was so used to them being useless in other games.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Cavia games are pretty vicious about hard to obtain/grindy achievements/trophies, but the most egregious example I can think of is Bulletwitch - the game is a chore to play, as is often the case with their titles, but there are two extra high difficulty settings, Inferno and Nightmare (I think) and the higher one is unlocked by clearing the game on the lower one, which is already a major drag. However, in order to get a full 1000 GamerScore from the game's achievements, one needs to clear the game on the highest difficulty setting - the value of that achievement, though? 1 GamerScore point.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I think the best part of the Chroma Squad title screen deal is how the scan lines and old fashioned TV screen curve go away after a few moments everywhere in the game except the title screen. I had to go back and double check because I just assumed "Oh well it would be legible in a few seconds anyway because the scan lines go awa-oh, ooooh."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

DoctorWhat posted:

Monster Hunter has really good status effects but for all of 3U I totally distrusted their effectiveness because I was so used to them being useless in other games.

In a more RPG game: Etrian Oddessey.
You live and die by status effects, buffs and binds.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

In a more RPG game: Etrian Oddessey.
You live and die by status effects, buffs and binds.

Same in ALL the Megaten games.
If you do not use status effects, you will get them applied to you. And then you lose.
Same with buffs, debuffs, and nullers of those.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Sleeveless posted:

Holy poo poo, white dudes!?!?!?!?!?

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

ArtIsResistance posted:

Holy poo poo, white dudes!?!?!?!?!?

SMDH if you play any video games made by the white devil.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Speaking of bad game guides, my old Prima(?) Guide for Majoras Mask had the snow temple wrong in a way that would not only be impossible to beat by following it, but it would also screw up the temple to the point that you had to reset the whole thing. I had to use my Nintendo Power issue to get past it as a kid.

Another game guide troll was Primas FF7 guide. I had both that one and the Versus books one. The versus books one was great because it was actually interesting to read and pretty helpful. The troll though was that where the Versus books guide just said that you should save before the part where Aeris dies and stated that they didn't want to spoil anything but the next scene would change everything, the Prima guide had a 2 page spread frame by frame sequence of the cutscene.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

jadebullet posted:

Speaking of bad game guides, my old Prima(?) Guide for Majoras Mask had the snow temple wrong in a way that would not only be impossible to beat by following it, but it would also screw up the temple to the point that you had to reset the whole thing. I had to use my Nintendo Power issue to get past it as a kid.

...I didn't know you could screw up Snowhead, or any temple for that matter, like that. I do know of one Majora's Mask guide that told you to use an ocarina song to warp back to the entrance of Great Bay Temple to save some time though. Unfortunately, the guide hosed up and printed Song of Time instead of Song of Soaring, so players who followed that guide got sent back a liiiiittle bit further than they intended.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
It had you drop the pillar in a way that made it so that you couldn't knock out all of the segments.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

jadebullet posted:

It had you drop the pillar in a way that made it so that you couldn't knock out all of the segments.

You can just reset the pillar though by going back down and hitting the switch at the very bottom to lower it back to the bottom, then go back to the switch where you could raise the pillar back up and all of the segments will return.

Edit: ohhh, I gotcha now. Talking about resetting things in Majora's Mask gets very confusing. :v:

Still though, last time I ran through Snowhead, I punched through the pillars wrong and couldn't get all the segments, but still completed the dungeon just fine.

ChaosArgate has a new favorite as of 18:44 on May 4, 2015

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ChaosArgate posted:

You can just reset the pillar though by going back down and hitting the switch at the very bottom to lower it back to the bottom, then go back to the switch where you could raise the pillar back up and all of the segments will return.

Yeah, that's what it means by "reset the whole thing", you can't break the temple so badly that it's unbeatable. But it's still a pain and a waste of time to redo the entire process.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Szurumbur posted:

However, in order to get a full 1000 GamerScore from the game's achievements, one needs to clear the game on the highest difficulty setting - the value of that achievement, though? 1 GamerScore point.

Bulletwitch was a very early 360 game and lots of them have insane achievements - developers didn't realise that people would care about them. IIRC the first Ghost Recon on 360 had an achievement for being no 1 in the world rankings.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

ookiimarukochan posted:

Bulletwitch was a very early 360 game and lots of them have insane achievements - developers didn't realise that people would care about them.

Not sure about other developers, but Cavia was fully aware. Trolling the players was Cavia's thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I wish Bulletwitch would come out on PC. It was really dumb but it was like...my kind of dumb. Lots of weird less-major titles like that on the 360 that I liked. Dark Sector, Matt Hazard etc.

• Locked thread