Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
man of dubious value, or just 'doobie'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

nutranurse posted:

i mean quibbling over :qq: you arent using mean enough words when calling the guy a woman-beater :qq: is kind of stupid, imo, unless you have some v specific words in mind for the person in question

this kind of reaction is probably what EM and me were getting at eqeta

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

nutranurse posted:

i mean quibbling over :qq: you arent using mean enough words when calling the guy a woman-beater :qq: is kind of stupid, imo, unless you have some v specific words in mind for the person in question

It's because "dick" is associated for a lot of people with petty, annoying, inconsiderate behavior, so saying it that way makes it seem like you are playing down the severity of beating your spouse.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
People fighting over tiny nuances!? NOT IN MY CHAT THREAD

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

For the record I want it to be clear I only did it because you expressed annoyance.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Exclamation Marx posted:

not when you're saying it to a man :cool:

are "poo poo" and "rear end" and "dick" really equivalent to you?

does the rest of the anglosphere even really use oval office to refer to women anymore

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Jagchosis posted:

does the rest of the anglosphere even really use oval office to refer to women anymore

Don't they use bint or some other rubbish word?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

paragon1 posted:

It's because "dick" is associated for a lot of people with petty, annoying, inconsiderate behavior, so saying it that way makes it seem like you are playing down the severity of beating your spouse.

ive legit been in a situation when some guy was beating on his s/o in front of me and my friends and as we were pulling him off we were yelling things to the effect of "holy poo poo youre a dick/rear end in a top hat/piece of poo poo" which are all more or less the same to me b/c they express the same amount of disdain for the person in question

i dont get at all why this is a problem for you guys, i guess y'all just hold very specific and determined stages for insults??? i just say what comes to mind

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

nutranurse posted:

ive legit been in a situation when some guy was beating on his s/o in front of me and my friends and as we were pulling him off we were yelling things to the effect of "holy poo poo youre a dick/rear end in a top hat/piece of poo poo" which are all more or less the same to me b/c they express the same amount of disdain for the person in question

i dont get at all why this is a problem for you guys, i guess y'all just hold very specific and determined stages for insults??? i just say what comes to mind

Hey man, I don't give a poo poo, I'm just trying to help folks communicate. :shrug:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Exclamation Marx posted:

not when you're saying it to a man :cool:

are "poo poo" and "rear end" and "dick" really equivalent to you?

totally yeah b/c if im calling a person them im prolly yelling it angry enough for them to get that im not down with whatever the gently caress it is theyre doing

i mean if someones being annoying or petty or wahtever im not gonna come out swinging calling them names. thats ridiculously unlikely to help me, and in my experience it'd prolly just encourage them

e: and i'd still not call a dude a oval office because its still a real hosed up gendered insult IMO

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 3, 2015

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

rudatron posted:

man of dubious value, or just 'doobie'

hi rudatron are you newish to chat thread

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Jagchosis posted:

yeah, but then it's just as bad as in the american sense. "good oval office" is a term of endearment (for men), female friends use it too :sun:

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Don't they use bint or some other rubbish word?

in the 50s maybe lmao

nutranurse posted:

totally yeah b/c if im calling a person them im prolly yelling it angry enough for them to get that im not down with whatever the gently caress it is theyre doing

i mean if someones being annoying or petty or wahtever im not gonna come out swinging calling them names. thats ridiculously unlikely to help me, and in my experience it'd prolly just encourage them

the order in which words have been uncensored for broadcast lines up pretty well with how i see their relative seriousness

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
"guzzler of pig urine" would be great to bust out next time a police shooting happens I think.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

anyways, enough race war

helping cannibal elves eat people in eso, feels good

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Berke Negri posted:

anyways, enough race war

helping cannibal elves eat people in eso, feels good

is that any good

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lotka Volterra posted:

is that any good

no

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Exclamation Marx posted:

the order in which words have been uncensored for broadcast lines up pretty well with how i see their relative seriousness

that just strikes me as caring too much about poo poo youre prolly gonna be saying in the heat of the moment

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

nutranurse posted:

that just strikes me as caring too much about poo poo youre prolly gonna be saying in the heat of the moment

make up the best comebacks 15 minutes before the argument not 15 minutes after, duh

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Spaceman Future! posted:

make up the best comebacks 15 minutes before the argument not 15 minutes after, duh

if youre best comebacks rely on cursing out the dude they arent v good comebacks imo. you gotta get personal and poo poo

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Lotka Volterra posted:

is that any good

yes if you felt oblivion and skyrim weren't weird enough

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

nutranurse posted:

if youre best comebacks rely on cursing out the dude they arent v good comebacks imo. you gotta get personal and poo poo

yeah but you gotta give yourself tools. youre not going to come up with "hellacious slunt" or "face like an infected prostate" on the fly, you gotta memorize your flash cards.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

i feel so bad my bro dropped 100 bucks to see that fight. he was trying to rationalize that purchase real hard on the phone

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

nutranurse posted:

i feel so bad my bro dropped 100 bucks to see that fight. he was trying to rationalize that purchase real hard on the phone

I just barely convinced my friend not to buy it.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

nutranurse posted:

Jagchosis posted:

really the only one i'm rooting for in this bullshit is disappointment
i bet on the right horse

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

paragon1 posted:

I just barely convinced my friend not to buy it.

i mean mayweathers a great boxer but thats b/c the dude spends most of his time not getting hit and winning anticlimatically through strategy

im gonna have to console my bro when i wake up

the real winners tonight were mma fans

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 3, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EWc6vACztU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i was invited to a house party where they would show the fight and my lady was like "go hang out with your boys and see the fight" and i was like naw i'll just sit here and play with my baby until it sleeps and then go through my steam library, i dont really care to see a guy punch another guy in a punchmans thing where one dude wins and another loses and then absorb the opinions of a series of dudes, some of which i know, about events

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

wow that is some ironic imagery

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yeah the stone mountain laser show is like the third most horrible thing i've ever seen while being so high i could barely walk or speak

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
deffo the worst thing i've seen while surrounded by thousands of drunk, wildly applauding people who only superficially understood what was unfolding before them

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Popular Thug Drink posted:

deffo the worst thing i've seen while surrounded by thousands of drunk, wildly applauding people who only superficially understood what was unfolding before them

your avatar makes everything you post funny

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yeah thanks anonymous drunken benefactor this really knocks it out

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

really tho i dunno why people would blame mayweather for doing what mayweather does. they should be angry at pacquiano for not getting on mayweathers level

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

nutranurse posted:

really tho i dunno why people would blame mayweather for doing what mayweather does. they should be angry at pacquiano for not getting on mayweathers level

its colonialism man

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

nutranurse posted:

what do you mean by mayweathers level

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

this is definitely a trap question fwiw

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
my baby will meet all of its remaining great grandparents tomorrow. all of mom's grandparents are dead, a little young imo. most/all of my grandparents are alive. both my genetic grandmas, a stepgrandma, and my maternal grandpa

at my dad's dad's funeral, i was exposed to a tragic bit of family history. my stepgrandpa jim, who i loved a lot as a child, had a troubled journey through this earth. i have two distinct memories of him - leaping into his arms into a pool, where he would dunk me and toss me around. also once he threatened to cut my head off with a lawnmower blade. he was a tough love redneck good old boy but as far as i know he was good with kids, because even when he was claiming to stab me with a machete i was entertained and not scared. i dunno, little boys can accept threats of violence int he context they are given. jim died when i was a young child and i remember weeping at the news, it was my first taste of mortality. they said it was cancer

so a few years ago at my dad'd dads' funeral my mom was drunk and told me the whole story. apparently jim had at one point been drinking and playing poker with some men, one of whom was the son of the county sherriff. words happened and jim got shot with a shot gun. it blew out most of his guts and one of his kidneys, necessitating a colostomy bag. this really cramped jim's style, also of course charges were never filed. jim couldn't really adjust to pooping in a bag taped to his side, so he killed himself in the brick carport where i would do laps on my tricycle. my dad and uncle drove eight hours to claim the remains and assist the cleaning crew so that my grandma wouldn't have to deal with it on a double shift. she never went back to that house, and sold it immediately thereafter, where she ended up living with us and doing all my stinky stained laundry in high school. anyway being an adult is garbage, thanks for reading

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
other memories of the rural south - video rental vans? like a blockbuster, but in a big box truck that would drive around once a week like an ice cream truck? anyone else remember this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

so a few years ago at my dad'd dads' funeral my mom was drunk and told me the whole story. apparently jim had at one point been drinking and playing poker with some men, one of whom was the son of the county sherriff. words happened and jim got shot with a shot gun. it blew out most of his guts and one of his kidneys, necessitating a colostomy bag. this really cramped jim's style, also of course charges were never filed. jim couldn't really adjust to pooping in a bag taped to his side, so he killed himself in the brick carport where i would do laps on my tricycle. my dad and uncle drove eight hours to claim the remains and assist the cleaning crew so that my grandma wouldn't have to deal with it on a double shift. she never went back to that house, and sold it immediately thereafter, where she ended up living with us and doing all my stinky stained laundry in high school.

well at least he died doing what he loved

• Locked thread