Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Murodese posted:

“I don’t think it’s a very Christian thing to come in by the back door rather than the front door.”

But outside of marriage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

"I don't think it's a very Christian thing to come in by the back door rather than the front door. ... I think the people we accept should be coming the right way and not the wrong way. ... If you pay a people-smuggler, if you jump the queue, if you take yourself and your family on a leaky boat, that's doing the wrong thing, not the right thing, and we shouldn't encourage it."

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-11/burnside-an-unchristian-view-of-asylum-seekers/4123872

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Jesus was pretty keen on the poor and the meek, not sure where the wealthy people who proactively seek out people smugglers fit in that general schema

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Christianity basically built the pillar of martyrdom around being persecuted so running away really doesn't get you any brownie points

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Murodese posted:

“I don’t think it’s a very Christian thing to come in by the back door rather than the front door.”

e; some of the quotes on there either aren't real or Tony Abbott is a worse person that I thought, and I thought he was a pretty loving lovely person

We're talking refugees, we'll get to gay marriage later.

e: hmm kind of beaten

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Graic Gabtar posted:

Since when did the campaign against domestic violence become an issue solely of the Left?

Not your best work Bolt.

I think what he's getting at is that Right-wingers beat their wives

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Cartoon posted:

I'm actually finding it hard to locate biblical support for "Jesus knew that there was a place for everything." Most of that sort of stuff is in the Old Testiment. http://biblehub.com/colossians/1-17.htm Colossians has this but it's not a very clear statement of NTATA's claim.

I did however find this:

http://tonyandponies.tumblr.com/

The ponies aren't making me any less angry at these quotes.

Also, I think this Cardinal Pell bloke needs to be drawn and quartered. I leave out the hung bit because that way the rest of it happens while he is alive.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

The Catholic Church agreed with Tony and promoted him to Chief Scandal Coverer-upper instead.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lmao I thought that abbott quote sounded familiar

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

katlington posted:

"I don't think it's a very Christian thing to come in by the back door rather than the front door. ... I think the people we accept should be coming the right way and not the wrong way. ... If you pay a people-smuggler, if you jump the queue, if you take yourself and your family on a leaky boat, that's doing the wrong thing, not the right thing, and we shouldn't encourage it."

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-11/burnside-an-unchristian-view-of-asylum-seekers/4123872

Why does he say the same thing three times using slightly different words for everything he argues?

Same message, three ways, none of them make what he's saying any better.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

If Jesus was going to endorse anyone would it be the wealthy who escape persecution by underhanded means, or the teeming masses who suffer to be left behind?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

After all for every rich person who people smuggles their way to freedom there are 10,000 poor people who have no choice but to suffer persecution.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Negligent posted:

After all for every rich person who people smuggles their way to freedom there are 10,000 poor people who have no choice but to suffer persecution.

You're right, we should send planes over for those guys too.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

but Jesus knew not everyone is rich and selfish enough to people smuggle their way out of persecution.

Tony Abbott knew it too, thats why he said everyone has their place and not everyone's place is to come to Australia

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Jesus was all like, bless the poor! bless the meek!

so if you're a rich gently caress who selfishly uses your money to escape persecution how much time do you think Jesus has for you?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

wait a minute, if the asylum seekers on boats were rich wouldn't tony be rolling out the gold carpet for them

checkmate negligailure

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

Murodese posted:

wait a minute, if the asylum seekers on boats were rich wouldn't tony be rolling out the gold carpet for them

checkmate negligailure

Doesn't count, they'd have crazy foreigner money backed by drugs or governments. Not like the glorious Ozzie, sailing on the iron ore sea, with a northerly wind strait out of Gina's arse.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Laserface posted:

Why does he say the same thing three times using slightly different words for everything he argues?

Same message, three ways, none of them make what he's saying any better.

The rule of three is a very common device in writing and rhetoric, Cicero was king of this and as a Roads Scrotum Abbott would have cribbed more than a little. Except it's supposed to be pairing three adjectives, nouns, or concepts - you're not supposed to just say the same thing three different times. They're supposed to build within a flow or be mutually strengthened by association, you lose impact if you just spew out an entire message then repeat it twice using different words. It's a real thing but he's an absolute moron and it's remarkable that he can still manage to gently caress up one of the most basic, well-understood techniques in oratory

e: Also he's probably just fishing for a sound bite. Throw a bunch of different brainstormed slogans out and see which one the media likes - quantity over quality, especially when you know that the media is on your side. You're essentially saying "I know you gotta buy something from me at the end of the day, so here's about 15 different things, pick whichever one is going to make you less cranky, I don't care"

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 3, 2015

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Negligent posted:

If Jesus was going to endorse anyone would it be the wealthy who escape persecution by underhanded means, or the teeming masses who suffer to be left behind?

Jesus isn't real, dude

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
God helps those who help themselves.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I would legit pay money to see Lee Lin Chin fight Andrew Bolt

It's not Andrew Bolt, but you can at least pretend?

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/11/27/last-lee-lin-chins-fight-death-broadcast-battleground

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Word cloud for April:

2015: JFM

2014: JFMAMJJASOND

2013: AMJJASOND

April's top posts:

Bifauxnen posted:

GEE GOOD THING WE GOT RID OF THAT CARBON TAX THEN

How loving stupid are people, if they never give you any hours or keep trying to argue a position like Negligent's. At least Ayn Rand could go on for like 30 pages of her painstaking logic and lay it all wrong? Well then how much of a more decent experience. Maybe it would honestly help too if more asylum seekers did that instead of renting it, we might very well decide it's totally worth shelling out good money to get over here, I was trying to get over here, I was nervous and frustrated as hell until it finally got approved. I was just drawing up his scumlist!

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

"I'm sorry if my words have upset you but I really do believe I've been made to feel unsafe in my mouth was falling out? Would you rather I drag myself to the temple and a degree with a whole bunch of his body out of life' rather than hand-waving it away as an objectively impossible task that shouldn't be my responsibility because I had a medical condition that directly stemmed from a medical complication?"

And then put on your glasses and tap your pen against your teeth as you stare at them hard and basically point out how to update it every so often and then I'll head to my doctor on company time and have him write a note saying yes, Tarantula is not a liar, I really do believe I've been made to feel unsafe in my own place of work." etc etc

Then if they flip out and make sure that nobody after you can lead them to him!" "Well of course that sounds crazy, why would you not want to guarantee people work two weeks in advance. Unless you're on some quips that will absolutely decimate John Curtin in the event of your.. contract... hm well oh hum mm okay oh well that's.. uh.. if.. in the process won't affect the outcome doesn't necessarily mean people find the activity pointless and boring

Murodese posted:

The nail in these guys' coffin was slammed home the instant the Greens would've been much improved if they had loudspeakers all over the camp that just played mortar explosion noises and HMG fire on repeat, for serious. Then just kick back and wait for the last several conferences, and literally nothing has changed except that we now imprison and torture children.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Calling bullshit, I don't think I've ever been that succinct or coherent

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Calling bullshit, I don't think I've ever been that succinct or coherent

You said every single one of those words though not necessarily in that order

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Tasmania is consistently hilarious. thanks for doing these.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Could y'all stop rising to Negligents bait, he's either serious and won't change his mind for anything, or trolling and won't change his tune for anything - in either respect the thread becomes infinitely more poo poo to read.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for April:

April's top posts:

Could I grab the script you use for these? Id love to see a wordcloud/post generator for the AFL thread.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Urcher posted:

You said every single one of those words though not necessarily in that order

How do you pick posters and then generate it? Do you just randomly generate it according to some measure of phrases of certain length separated by conjunctions?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

tithin posted:

Could y'all stop rising to Negligents bait, he's either serious and won't change his mind for anything, or trolling and won't change his tune for anything - in either respect the thread becomes infinitely more poo poo to read.

Are you serious and won't change your mind for anything on some topics?

In that case are you just making the thread infinitely more poo poo to read as well?

Is the problem Negligent's posts or the fact you just don't like people posting that don't agree with you?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Graic Gabtar posted:

Are you serious and won't change your mind for anything on some topics?

In that case are you just making the thread infinitely more poo poo to read as well?

Is the problem Negligent's posts or the fact you just don't like people posting that don't agree with you?

It's amusing you're asking me of all people this considering I've changed positions based on arguments itt in the past. My position is malleable on many things, depending on the persuasiveness of the argument. I don't argue with Negligent because I don't see the point, the acrid nature of his arguments have driven good posters from this thread because he's stubborn and won't budge on anything (one need only look at the lawful vs legal argument from a year ago to realise this).

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

tithin posted:

It's amusing you're asking me of all people this considering I've changed positions based on arguments itt in the past. My position is malleable on many things, depending on the persuasiveness of the argument. I don't argue with Negligent because I don't see the point, the acrid nature of his arguments have driven good posters from this thread because he's stubborn and won't budge on anything (one need only look at the lawful vs legal argument from a year ago to realise this).

Tithin how can you unironically beg people to stop replying to Negligent and then immediately reply to graic grabtar

Do you smell toast? Try to lift your arms. Is there someone nearby who can help you?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

tithin posted:

Well I guess I wasn't lucky enough to be here for that debate. Must of been a hoot.

There are some people here I don't respond to as I don't find them at all interesting or they are just completely abusive for no sensible reason.

There are people that say they ignore me for whatever reason of their own.

I don't mind being swayed or just being challenged as it you should let your views be validated. What does poo poo me is schoolyard grade posts saying, "don't talk to so and so" or "block so and so". People here seem to be smart enough to make their own choices or maybe they just don't like their own views being questioned.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for April:

April's top posts:

Why is "ANZACS" on there twice?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Graic Gabtar posted:

Well I guess I wasn't lucky enough to be here for that debate. Must of been a hoot.

There are some people here I don't respond to as I don't find them at all interesting or they are just completely abusive for no sensible reason.

There are people that say they ignore me for whatever reason of their own.

I don't mind being swayed or just being challenged as it you should let your views be validated. What does poo poo me is schoolyard grade posts saying, "don't talk to so and so" or "block so and so". People here seem to be smart enough to make their own choices or maybe they just don't like their own views being questioned.

I'll be honest, I had you on ignore until very recently - in part because of an extremely poor insult from yourself to me, and in part because I had you classed in the same position as negligent, who won't believe sources, regardless of impartiality.

I only took you off a day or so ago.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Graic Gabtar posted:

Is the problem Negligent's posts
Yes.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

tithin posted:

I'll be honest, I had you on ignore until very recently - in part because of an extremely poor insult from yourself to me, and in part because I had you classed in the same position as negligent, who won't believe sources, regardless of impartiality.

I only took you off a day or so ago.

What did I say to you? From memory it was a pretty lovely framed argument about your job?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Graic Gabtar posted:

What did I say to you? From memory it was a pretty lovely framed argument about your job?

Nah, this was during the last months thread. I had made a comment about my kids having autism (as in, actual diagnosis - can't remember the context to the comment now though) and you responded with basically laughing and saying "well, I'm gonna go spend time with my normal kids now, see ya"

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I thought we got somewhere towards the end of last month when some of the less regular posters showed up.
At the very least that's encouraging, and we should try to keep up effort because people will read this.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

OK. Well I'm kind of tuning him out at the moment because he's arguing about religion FFS. It may poo poo me but I'm not going to start posting that he should be blocked by everyone because he's banging about Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Wordcloud clearly awful, no instance of word 'piss' seen. April immersion ruined.

• Locked thread