Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Striking Yak posted:

I saw someone explain this once after being asked why Batman is such a dick to Mr. Freeze in City. Basically, if Batman starts reasoning with people, they might get the idea that Batman is something that can be reasoned with. If Batman's not a total dick to everybody he meets, people might get the impression that he's human after all, rather than a terrifying, invulnerable embodiment of justice in the shape of a fist.

I thought he was a dick to Freeze because he was literally dying and post-mindfucked by Ra's Al Ghul and Victor was trying to bargain with him. If he'd just given Batman the cure and then said "Btdubs, he kidnapped Nora, can you help me?" there's 0 doubt Batman would've helped him. Especially since you end up helping him anyway because Batman is good under all that jerk. It would've saved him an asswhooping and taken away an amazing boss fight from us, but it would've made more sense. The only villain I felt bad for was Ivy in Asylum. Then Batman was being 100% rear end in a top hat completely unprovoked and without any excuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Batman took down Ivy because she was a crazy, dangerous person with superpowers hopped up on incredibly volatile experimental chemicals whose plants were shaking a whole island apart and threatening the lives of hundreds of people.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
You think Batman's an rear end in a top hat now, you've seen nothing yet. I had forgotten the depths of his dickishness in this game.

I just spent 12 hours working on a thing today for a future video and I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

wiegieman posted:

Batman took down Ivy because she was a crazy, dangerous person with superpowers hopped up on incredibly volatile experimental chemicals whose plants were shaking a whole island apart and threatening the lives of hundreds of people.

Obviously then, I meant before that. He was a dick when she was still locked up. Then once she was free he was a dick again. By the time she was hopped up on Titan and wreaking havoc, he had basically earned it.

I'm anxious to see what could've possibly taken 12 hours to do.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

Obviously then, I meant before that. He was a dick when she was still locked up. Then once she was free he was a dick again. By the time she was hopped up on Titan and wreaking havoc, he had basically earned it.

I'm anxious to see what could've possibly taken 12 hours to do.

What? No. Ivy's entire characterization is appearing innocent with good intentions to lure people into falling under her spell and making them a slave. She's tried a dozen and one times with Batman and he knows letting her out will only complicate the rest of the night. So he acts like a dick to shut her down so she knows it has no chance of happening, and keeps her right where she really belongs. If you think she wouldn't try the same poo poo, minus Titan, to take over Joker's dudes and ruin his night, then attack Gotham

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I'm not sure Ivy's a great example of unnecessary antagonism by Bats, at least in the Arkham series. Bruce was perfectly willing to let her hang out in her 'island' fortress in City since she wasn't hurting anybody there.

He was a touch rough with Freeze at the museum but a later scene makes sense of it since Freeze drags his feet considerably when helping somebody whose name isn't Nora, at the PD Bats doesn't even KO Freeze, he just slaps some sense into him... recalling that slapping someone in a near impentrable metal exoskeleton takes a bit more effort than with a softer target.

Really Bats is hardest on the nameless mooks in these games since most of his takedowns are downright malevolent and you do so many of them by end game. You pretty much cut a swath of terrified, broken bodies through Gotham's nobodies. I guess the player could be 'nice' and avoid all unnecessary combat while gently putting everyone to sleep on predator sections but where's the fun in that :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I think the most sadistic stuff you can do in the Arkham Series is pull or throw mooks into those gaping pits in Arkham Asylum.

You know, the same ones that kill Batman if you fall into them.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Also remember the "thou shalt not kill" policy! It, apparently, only applies to supervillains

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

There's a good one in Origins. On the predator map Wrecking Crew if you hit r1 and go up the gargoyle that's above you at start and look to your right you'll see a ladder connecting to a lower section. Put some gel there. If a dude climbs up and gets a face full of explosion he's flung waaaaay into the abyss. This section during storymode occurs when you're near the top of a bridge support and the thug hits water :gonk:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

hard counter posted:

I'm not sure Ivy's a great example of unnecessary antagonism by Bats, at least in the Arkham series. Bruce was perfectly willing to let her hang out in her 'island' fortress in City since she wasn't hurting anybody there.

He was a touch rough with Freeze at the museum but a later scene makes sense of it since Freeze drags his feet considerably when helping somebody whose name isn't Nora, at the PD Bats doesn't even KO Freeze, he just slaps some sense into him... recalling that slapping someone in a near impentrable metal exoskeleton takes a bit more effort than with a softer target.

Really Bats is hardest on the nameless mooks in these games since most of his takedowns are downright malevolent and you do so many of them by end game. You pretty much cut a swath of terrified, broken bodies through Gotham's nobodies. I guess the player could be 'nice' and avoid all unnecessary combat while gently putting everyone to sleep on predator sections but where's the fun in that :v:
Well if you want to get technical none of the ways batman takes out criminals in the games are really very nice or gentle. Even if you get choked out, if you're ever rendered unconscious and don't wake up after 5-10 minutes you likely have brain damage.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I wouldn't put it past batman having some kind of sensors in his gauntlets that tell him precisely when they've lost consciousness and it's time to release the choke hold before you start inflicting brain damage.

As far as Ivy, she's basically a nigh-immortal seductress. No-selling her is the only way to deal with her that isn't going to end terribly for one or both of you.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kurieg posted:

I wouldn't put it past batman having some kind of sensors in his gauntlets that tell him precisely when they've lost consciousness and it's time to release the choke hold before you start inflicting brain damage.
I have no doubt that, if the writers actually cared to explain it, it would be something like this. It's pretty stupid though.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I have to say, I was way too excited by Alfred mentioning Christmas ham and not turkey, since ham is what we eat for Christmas in Sweden.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Thesaya posted:

I have to say, I was way too excited by Alfred mentioning Christmas ham and not turkey, since ham is what we eat for Christmas in Sweden.

It's the traditional Christmas dish for most of Europe, if I remember correctly, and considered traditional in North America if used less often because Turkey's pretty common/cheap.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I had no idea there was a traditional food choice for Christmas dinner.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

berryjon posted:

"You have an accurate view of the problem. It's your solution that needs to be stopped." - Kidd Radd

Kidd Radd was the coolest comic and yes, that is the best way to put it.

Seriously, everyone read Kidd Radd. It is well worth the time.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 3, 2015

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Lazy Bear posted:

It's the traditional Christmas dish for most of Europe, if I remember correctly, and considered traditional in North America if used less often because Turkey's pretty common/cheap.

Over here in the States, it's ham for Easter, turkey for Thanksgiving, and either or for Christmas, despite it becoming more popular to have brunch or a large breakfast instead of a nice dinner.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I grew up in the US and ham was always a thing. Turkey is mostly something people obsess over for Thanksgiving and toss it into other meals as wanted. Christmas is usually the only time of year I have a good ham.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

My family has both. A fair-sized turkey and a cottage roll. Man, now I want cottage roll.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I think it's mostly a familial thing. We do ham for Easter, and turkey for Thanksgiving. If we're having Christmas at my sister's we do Ham, but my parents do Turkey.

Regardless we always do Chilli on Christmas Eve for some reason.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Miz Kriss posted:

Over here in the States, it's ham for Easter, turkey for Thanksgiving, and either or for Christmas, despite it becoming more popular to have brunch or a large breakfast instead of a nice dinner.

Ham for Easter? You celebrate the holiday where you're not supposed to eat meat with ham?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tiggum posted:

Ham for Easter? You celebrate the holiday where you're not supposed to eat meat with ham?

Err... What? Easter is the Christian party time.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

What? You're only not supposed to eat meat on Fridays during lent. Easter is a feast day of celebration.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
This would be an excellent conversation for some thugs to be having while breaking into a place right before Batman beats them up.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
We usually have ham for easter as well if we do anything special at all outside of maybe getting a chocolate bunny. And Christmas varies between ham or some slow cooked turkey(It was usually Ham until my Step Father decided to cut out red meats for a diet at one point and almost can't eat them now that he's off the diet. Though he makes exception for bacon because he couldn't give that up even if it fucks up his body due to its no longer liking red meat.) But a good Christmas ham is amazing.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

paragon1 posted:

This would be an excellent conversation for some thugs to be having while breaking into a place right before Batman beats them up.

With a ham. :v:

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

my dad posted:

Nah, by pelting them with cranberry sauce cans.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Batman is a ham.

Ham fisted.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I want Arkham Knight to have just the inanest henchmen conversations. Like, a million different topics that have zero bearing on the subject at hand, interspersed with the usual low-brow henchman poo poo to keep us on our toes.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

wiegieman posted:

I want Arkham Knight to have just the inanest henchmen conversations. Like, a million different topics that have zero bearing on the subject at hand, interspersed with the usual low-brow henchman poo poo to keep us on our toes.
I totally want them to go in this direction.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

my dad posted:

bat ham :v:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Not to interrupt Christmas Batham talk, but I've got an update.

GCPD Blue/Polsy

Predator Challenge: Breaking In/Polsy with The Long Halloween Batman

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Miz Kriss posted:

Here in Denmark it's either duck, ham, turkey, or a combination for Christmas. Duck seems like the most popular.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 11:25 on May 3, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Nalesh posted:

Here in Denmark it's either duck, ham, turkey, or a combination for Christmas. Duck seems like the most popular.
Czech here, and we eat fish.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
That SWAT fight. :allears:

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Was that God Hand music you used during the SWAT fight?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

ZeButler posted:

Was that God Hand music you used during the SWAT fight?

Yes, yes it was. Broncobuster :v:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I'd personally have chosen this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFSen7DRQWU

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 3, 2015

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Actually I think Branden was the SWAT commander in Year One as well. As I recall, Gordon recounts that his team once handled a protest in a park-and didn't even leave the statues standing.

And clearly this is the objectively correct music for that fight:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAG-IS_Ntjg

:colbert:

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 12:11 on May 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

my dad posted:

That SWAT fight. :allears:

I'm really impressed that he pulled that off without smoke bombing the entire group before jumping. Sadly on the new game plus modes they start giving the gunmen armor and you can't take down the lot of them nearly as easy.

• Locked thread