Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The Evapo-Rust is basically molasses so there's not a lot of weird caustic poo poo in there to eat up your engine. If you leave it for long enough it should dissolve any substantial rust flakes into solution so it won't clog the fins or the endtank jets.

Just curious because I wanted to try it, and here we are with an already-dickered cooling system to try it on!

CLR would probably have similar results too. Play the Comanche Lottery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

Gotta get up to get Down's

Adiabatic posted:

Hah of course the roommate would need the Camacho today. Good timing, buddy.

I didn't "need" it, you pole smoker. I was just too lazy to clear out the back of my car to put junkyard parts in it. But then I did. I hope the filthy Comacho seats give you a yeast infection.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

madhatter9374 posted:

I didn't "need" it, you pole smoker. I was just too lazy to clear out the back of my car to put junkyard parts in it. But then I did. I hope the filthy Comacho seats give you a yeast infection.

Oh my god what else has adi been lying about?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Okay look pole smoking has nothing to do with cars, and my roommate's and my relationship is none of your business StormDrain.

madhatter9374 posted:

Know how I know you're gay?

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Ferremit posted:

my mate cleaned out the gunge from his Pajero heater core with a bucket full of vinegar and water and a litle fishtank water pump to circulate it for an hr or two. worked a treat!

I was planning on doing something similar with the cooling system on my truck before changing the radiator, with a 1HP HF sump pump elevated in a 5 gallon bucket with some cleaning fluid for a few hours, and then reversing the flow for another few. :getin: I'm hoping all of the poop that gets flushed out will settle to the bottom of the bucket, well below the feed area for the pump. I bought all the stuff to do it last year, just have to actually get around to doing the radiator job.

I'm not sure how well this will work, but should be a fun experiment if nothing else.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

madhatter9374 posted:

Adi I like your roommate.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yeah he's cool.

My buddy Jeff came over to change the fluids on his 88 Chevy:

I took the opportunity to work more on the Comanche:

Checked the carpets better. Found a little bit of rust on the truck finally:

The stuff to the left is wet paper or something.

Meanwhile, Jeff was making a mess:

Moxie Omen this poo poo is delicious holy gently caress:

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Evapo-Rust is basically molasses so there's not a lot of weird caustic poo poo in there to eat up your engine. If you leave it for long enough it should dissolve any substantial rust flakes into solution so it won't clog the fins or the endtank jets.

Just curious because I wanted to try it, and here we are with an already-dickered cooling system to try it on!

CLR would probably have similar results too. Play the Comanche Lottery.

I believe its some sort of buffered amino acid. I used to have the link to a chemical supplier for the stuff in bulk.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The 2011 WRX from last weekend came back for more:

We did his sway bar and subframe/diff bushing inserts on the rear last time. Today it was time for the front.

He didn't have new ball joints so first order of business was trying to unseat the OE ones without damaging them:

It took some effort but we got both:

Took the driver side control arm off:

Oh right here's the fun part :suicide:

Driver's side sway bar end link came off without a problem, but the passenger side had to be cut off:

Yay passenger side:

Here's what the anti-lift kit looks like:

The center bearing's hole is eccentric and you adjust it for more or less caster. I believe it centers up the control arm body mounting points (with the subframe bushing) but someone more well versed in Subarus will be able to answer that one better.

Popped the new front sway bar in while we were there:

Anti-lift kit installed:

New sticker installed:

Decent Sunday afternoon, I'd say.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

PSA: Feeding orange chicken to a dog is a bad idea and there will be poo poo all over your carpet in the morning.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Adiabatic posted:

PSA: Feeding orange chicken to a dog is a bad idea and there will be poo poo all over your carpet in the morning.

Feeding most human food can have that effect. Many dogs do not suffer, but its never worth the test. As cute as the dog is, do not feed human good. Especially anything with garlic/onion (cause liver/kidney problems in dogs), grapes, most foods with pits, etc.
Just get some good'ol quality dog treats for dogs hahah.

This post brought to you by "the inlaws always feed my dog random stuff and I have to deal with an rear end that squirts out something which makes you think your coolant and oil have been making love"

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Better than the idiot fucks who proudly feed their cats a vegan diet.

"Fluffy lived 3 happy, healthy years ilu babby :3:"

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ugh.

I know I've mentioned this, but I worked at Whole Foods for several years. So many people came in asking about vegan diets for pets - for their cats in particular.

They actually sold raw cat food (frozen), but it was full of the stuff cats need. Like dead animals and protein.

I would love to go vegetarian myself (for both health and personal reasons, it's just hard to when you're surrounded by nothing but meat in this part of the US), but I would never force that on my pets - dogs and cats (especially cats) are meant to eat meat. Humans can get around it through :science:, tofu, beans, and other forms of protein, and I did go vegetarian for several months with no ill effects (plenty of positive effects though).

I still stay in touch with a few of my old regular customers. One of them was a mother and daughter who were both vegan, but fed their cat a raw diet, with a lot of meat. Cat lived a lot longer than most (I think he was 17 when he died). Daughter eventually went off of the vegan diet because of weight issues (there was a side of anorexia thrown in as well), but she's doing well.

I'm one of those evil monsters who feeds his pets dry food, but at least it's decent dry food (cat gets Wellness, dog gets something a bit cheaper, but still far better than grocery store pet food).

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
My coonhound hates meat, but will stand and drool and beg if she sees you messing with veggies.

Her favorite treats in the world are broccoli and cucumber. She has taken out someone's legs to get at a piece of cucumber.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

iwentdoodie posted:

My coonhound hates meat, but will stand and drool and beg if she sees you messing with veggies.

Her favorite treats in the world are broccoli and cucumber. She has taken out someone's legs to get at a piece of cucumber.

Hahah, drat. My dog loves carrots. Loves them. So much. They're not bad for her either, so she gets some.
But if she begs too much, I pull out the celery. I think it sounds the same when being cut, and she'll grab it mid-air to eat it if I toss it at her.

Then she makes the worst face and spits it out and sadly walks away while giving me the biggest case of stink-eye. Totally worth it :)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

One of the cooler Subie guys is talking about doing a "JDM '01 Legacy BH5 GT-B E-Tune II twin turbo" swap. It's an EJ208 with a five speed. He said "I might need your garage and lift". I said "Scotch. Expensive scotch." He's backpedaling now.

poo poo this is a pretty good "cheap motherfucker" litmus test. I'm talking maybe $100, $150 in alcohol as a gift to do a full swap, including RHD.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
$100 or $150 to use your garage and probably get help from you? I would gladly do that and buy you dinner.

It's not nearly the same but people used to ask me for help with their computers or occasionally homework. All I would ask for is a pizza and nobody ever took me up on it. Best buy charges $150+ to reinstall windows and all I'm asking for is about :10bux:. Saved me a lot of time though.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

He said "I might need your garage and lift". I said "Scotch. Expensive scotch."

poo poo man, I give my loving TIRE GUY a decent bottle of whiskey or bourbon just to let me fart around and use the tire machine while he makes sure I don't hurt myself or any of the shop equipment.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

See this is what makes this subforum the best automotive forum out there.

You guys are rad and more of you need to live near RVA.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

One of the cooler Subie guys is talking about doing a "JDM '01 Legacy BH5 GT-B E-Tune II twin turbo" swap.
Does not compute. Nobody cool wants a lovely twin turbo EJ.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yeah I heard they aren't great but maybe it's just the novelty of it?

At any rate, babby's first Subaru turbo inlet this weekend.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

The twin turbos suck. Most people convert them to single.

The best part? They physically don't fit in a LHD car. The 2nd turbo hits the steering shaft.

TT swaps are a good mineshaft cannary for stupid subaru owners. You can see a subaru bro tard coming from a mile away when they say "i want to do a TT swap"

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Slow is Fast posted:

The best part? They physically don't fit in a LHD car. The 2nd turbo hits the steering shaft.

TT swaps are a good mineshaft cannary for stupid subaru owners. You can see a subaru bro tard coming from a mile away when they say "i want to do a TT swap"

But more turbos is more better, bruh. That's like, twice as many boosts. Gosh, don't you know anything? :v:

What time is TT-Tard showing up this weekend? I was going to do the Forester (lol you can never escape Subarus) suspension overhaul tomorrow but my schedule is flexible.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah I heard they aren't great but maybe it's just the novelty of it?

They are mega turds. I would rather pay a Japanese dude to slap me in the face with his dick for an hour for $7000 before I picked up one of those poo poo rods because at least it would be over faster and I wouldn't have to get it plated.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

But more turbos is more better, bruh. That's like, twice as many boosts. Gosh, don't you know anything? :v:

What time is TT-Tard showing up this weekend? I was going to do the Forester (lol you can never escape Subarus) suspension overhaul tomorrow but my schedule is flexible.

haha yeah that ain't happening for a while. Come on out tomorrow but don't show up before noon. I need my beauty sleep.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Adiabatic posted:

haha yeah that ain't happening for a while. Come on out tomorrow but don't show up before noon. I need my beauty sleep.

lol that is not going to be a problem, I loathe waking up before 10 on Saturdays.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

poo poo this is a pretty good "cheap motherfucker" litmus test. I'm talking maybe $100, $150 in alcohol as a gift to do a full swap, including RHD.

Dude, what the poo poo? Multiply that figure by ten and you have a price that makes sense. The shop I worked at charged $1500 flat-rate labour for an engine re&re and that was for the same engine that came out, so none of wiring hocus-pocus that you're going to put up with.

If there's fab and wiring work to be done I'd set the bar at a couple nice bottles. Maybe a Dalwhinnie, Macallan 12 and a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue because the box it comes in is very nice.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

TWSS posted:

Dude, what the poo poo? Multiply that figure by ten and you have a price that makes sense. The shop I worked at charged $1500 flat-rate labour for an engine re&re and that was for the same engine that came out, so none of wiring hocus-pocus that you're going to put up with.

If there's fab and wiring work to be done I'd set the bar at a couple nice bottles. Maybe a Dalwhinnie, Macallan 12 and a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue because the box it comes in is very nice.

Well, presumably the owner is doing the work, right? He's still tying up Adiabatic's shop and probably will need some assistance here and there, but it's nothing like paying him to do the whole swap for him.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Yeah it doesn't work like that. This guy will show up and not have a clue and adiabatic will have to bust rear end just to get the turd out the door or let the thing sit there for weeks while idiot owner head scratches because they bit off more than they can chew.

Been there done that. Like I said, TT swaps suck and don't actually work on usdm cars and anyone who suggest them doesn't have an idea of what they are doing and won't be able to do the job themself.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Raluek posted:

Well, presumably the owner is doing the work, right?
Hahahahahaha! Oh, you!

Just had my neighbour come to see me complaining about the clutch in their Peugeot 107. Garage has said it needs a new one, but I reckon an adjustment of the cable will do a world of good - it is worn, but not really slipping yet, so there's no reason it won't last a bit longer. Seeing as it's overdue for a service (something something teenage girls' cars :j:), I said to get a quote for oil/filters/plugs with a clutch adjustment while they're in there, and if it's taking the piss, I'll sort them out. In a way I'd rather not, as want to work on my own stuff (and the access to the clutch cable looks like an utter sod for my monkey bastard hands), but it's neighbourly to not leave them hanging and, well, I think we're all a little more inclined to help cute girls needing simple servicing work than Subie Brahs wanting silly JDM conversions.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I had a bunch of stupid poo poo pop up at the last minute today, now it's quarter after 4 and I still haven't left for Richmond. I tried calling you but didn't get an answer and your voicemail is full, mr. popular :v: Are you busy tomorrow? By the time I made it out there today it would be nearly 6pm. Also my phone deleted your address so I can't GPS my way there...

Hate to keep canceling on you like this, I feel like one of those stupid subaru clowns.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 2, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yeah my bad bud I was on the bike. I've got that turbo inlet job tomorrow so let's shoot for next weekend.

RHD swap dude has zero loving clue what he's doing, but three or four of these guys just did the same swap in a forester and it took them two weeks or so. They're all on board for this one (if it even happens :rolleyes: ) and at least one of them won't leave me out to dry. I'll be doing somewhere between a quarter and half of the work, I suspect.

I know I'll probably regret it, but life's about the poo poo you do and this at least seems like an interesting pain in the rear end.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 2, 2015

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah my bad bud I was on the bike. I've got that turbo inlet job tomorrow so let's shoot for next weekend.

RHD swap dude has zero loving clue what he's doing, but three or four of these guys just did the same swap in a forester and it took them two weeks or so. They're all on board for this one (if it even happens :rolleyes: ) and at least one of them won't leave me out to dry. I'll be doing somewhere between a quarter and half of the work, I suspect.

I know I'll probably regret it, but life's about the poo poo you do and this at least seems like an interesting pain in the rear end.

Godspeed you crazy bastard. I'm looking forward to seeing a video of a brake cleaner bomb being tossed into a Subaru.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Out of interest, why is the TT swap a pig to do on US cars? Is the shell fundamentally different, or is it an issue of interference with the steering column, brake master/booster etc?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Slow is Fast posted:

TT swaps are a good mineshaft canary for stupid subaru owners. You can see a subaru bro tard coming from a mile away when they say "i want to do a TT swap"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ah, crap, I missed that completely.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Bit late but, a friend came over to do the brakes on his 9-5 in my garage which does not contain a lift or anything special. He asked if he could use my garage a week ahead of time and he brought a bottle of rum and bought me dinner unprovoked.

Your shop is loving valuable and anyone that doesn't pay up is useless jackass.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Galler posted:

Your shop is loving valuable .

Listen to this man. I have to do my repairs and projects in two places.

1. The stuff that isn't messy (electronics, etc.) This happens on a workbench in my bedroom.

2. The stuff that is. This happens on my god drat balcony. I have to lug parts up 3 flights of stairs, work on a tiny balcony covered in plastic sheeting(to keep my deposit. I learned quickly that wood stain does not come out of concrete), then lug them back down.

I would build a distillery under my sink if it meant buying even a day a week in a real garage.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Keldoclock posted:

Listen to this man. I have to do my repairs and projects in two places.

1. The stuff that isn't messy (electronics, etc.) This happens on a workbench in my bedroom.

2. The stuff that is. This happens on my god drat balcony. I have to lug parts up 3 flights of stairs, work on a tiny balcony covered in plastic sheeting(to keep my deposit. I learned quickly that wood stain does not come out of concrete), then lug them back down.

I would build a distillery under my sink if it meant buying even a day a week in a real garage.

See if you can find a hackerspace / makerspace in your area. A good one is a good substitute for a garage/shed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Daww thanks y'all :3:

Borked around with a friend's F150 yesterday. He's pretty convinced his fuel pump is on the fritz, so he came over to take the bed off:

It's held on with 8 giant T50 Torx bolts (ugh):

We stripped one (ugh ugh) and couldn't figure out a way to get it out, so I told him to go have someone weld a bolt onto it and we'd resume after.

Welp.

Mowed the lawn:

A 2005 Legacy came by for a turbo inlet:

Buuuuuuuuh don't need this anymore I reckon:

Old vs New:

GET IN YOUR HOLE:

All done:

Payment:

Beer fridge as of last night:

Meat Badger is pleased: