Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

netally posted:

Not sure why I've never heard of this one until today. The Garden Bridge is planned to open in London in 2018.

It's a cool concept, but apparently is already having financial problems, won't be accessible by cyclists, and will be closed during nighttime hours. On the plus side, I'm sure tourists will love it.

The funny thing about this was that when they first announced it everyone thought "oh that's a good idea" but then as soon as one iota of thought was put into the practicalities and the stuff about charging for access and poo poo came out the entirety of London did a 180 and it's now regarded as a shambles.

It's such a mess now that I think it'll probably be viewed as toxic to any politician that backs it, plus some rich guy nearby has taken it to the supreme court on the grounds that it got circle jerked through the planning process and never should have got off the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

`Nemesis posted:

Sadly that'll never happen, seating capacity is too valuable. The best that could be hoped for is that wretched mess to get torn down.

Luxury boxes are too valuable. The big renovation actually lowered seating capacity from about 65,000 to 61,000.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

The best thing about this building (and most fitting for this thread) are the handles. They badly need a coat of paint but they can't figure out how to do it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Halah posted:

The best thing about this building (and most fitting for this thread) are the handles. They badly need a coat of paint but they can't figure out how to do it.

Looks like that building is going to hell in a handbasket.

:quig:

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Luxury boxes are too valuable. The big renovation actually lowered seating capacity from about 65,000 to 61,000.

And shrunk the field size making it ineligible to be the main Olympic Stadium which added a wrinkle to their Olympic bid as they had to build another big-rear end stadium and totally hosed up their pitch for it. "We can build it on the cheap!" is not how you appeal to megalomaniacs who want bribes.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Trevor Hale posted:

And shrunk the field size making it ineligible to be the main Olympic Stadium which added a wrinkle to their Olympic bid as they had to build another big-rear end stadium and totally hosed up their pitch for it. "We can build it on the cheap!" is not how you appeal to megalomaniacs who want bribes.
"We can build it on the cheap and pass the savings on to you!" might be though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Fly Molo posted:

Here's one, the Death Star. A concrete maze designed on purpose to be unnavigable, with no landmarks, maps, or consistent numbering system.

quote:

The building also interacts with the people who use it. It was supposedly designed on purpose to be confusing. Visitors are often forced to talk to someone to find out how to get to where they need to go. Doorways that you need to pass through will sometimes be locked, forcing you to find a new way. The doors that get locked rotate every so often, further confusing the situation. The idea was to force human interaction because it houses the social sciences.

We had an old building at uni which interconnected with half the other buildings in the science block. When they were doing renovations they decided to just lock the whole place up to stop students getting in the way. Thankfully we must have had a bunch of professional hoodlums at our campus because people made a point of going around every day and picking or forcing every single lock and door in the place.

STEM: gently caress human interaction.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

akasnowmaaan posted:

Add a bounce pad and some railgun ammo and it's a Quake 3 level.

First thing that came to my mind too.

What a bunch of douchebags. Unclear architecture is the worst. Why yes let me wander hopelessly around the building wondering where the entrance might be, what a good idea.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Mr. 47 posted:

Indianapolis, Indiana

I have to go past these monstrosities to pick up my prescriptions every month. The gigantic mirror sides are angled perfectly to blast the sun right down into your eyes.

The other two sides are just giant windowless (aside from at the seam) concrete slabs that even the most die-hard brutalism fan (hi, that's me) would be hard-pressed to justify.

They're the tallest buildings around, too.

And then downtown, there's this fucker, which was built for the Super Bowl a few years ago.

Not just a giant mirror, but a giant concave mirror. :waycool:

Tumblr of scotch fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 2, 2015

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

I like the Marriott, it reminds me of 2001's Monolith.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)
Speaking of pyramid-like structures (though this one is more ziggurat-like)...

Apex, a former department store in Pawtucket, Rhode Island.

In slightly better days:

It was a pretty polarizing building to begin with when it was in use-- you can't miss it when you're driving down 95, and some people appreciated that fact, and others thought it was an eyesore-- but then it closed 15 years ago and it's been left to sit and rot ever since (outside of a small outlet in the corner, which is really weird to walk around in and is like a mini K-Mart). Nobody wants to scoop the building up, and I bet more than anything it'll eventually just end up demolished. That is, if the city ever scrounges up the money for it. My crappy phone pic doesn't really capture the weird "walking through a rusty falling-apart 1995" feeling you get when you walk through the overgrown parking lot. Honestly though, it's a pretty good representation of Pawtucket in general so maybe it should stay, just for honesty's sake.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Spatule posted:

What a bunch of douchebags. Unclear architecture is the worst. Why yes let me wander hopelessly around the building wondering where the entrance might be, what a good idea.

I actually really like the idea of a building that through its design encourages social interaction, that's a goal of architecture I'd never really considered before. And an academic building on a college campus seems the perfect place for such a building, it's not like your local post office or something.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Spatule posted:

I do legit really like the idea of trying to shape social interactions through architecture, of all things, but "deliberately obtuse layouts" in a building people actually have to use every day instead of a tourist trap or sth is not so good, no.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't help but wonder whether anyone actually bothers to go around locking/unlocking a different set of doors each month. That seems like the kind of thing that anybody who has to actually work there would just immediately stop doing.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Tunga posted:

I can't help but wonder whether anyone actually bothers to go around locking/unlocking a different set of doors each month. That seems like the kind of thing that anybody who has to actually work there would just immediately stop doing.

It seems super unsafe if there is a fire or something

"we can get out this way! Oh wait I guess it's locked today, I better interact to find which routes are open"

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It seems super unsafe if there is a fire or something

"we can get out this way! Oh wait I guess it's locked today, I better interact to find which routes are open"

"Maybe that man over there currently burning to death knows the way out! We should go ask him!"

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I have to go past these monstrosities to pick up my prescriptions every month. The gigantic mirror sides are angled perfectly to blast the sun right down into your eyes.

The other two sides are just giant windowless (aside from at the seam) concrete slabs that even the most die-hard brutalism fan (hi, that's me) would be hard-pressed to justify.

They're the tallest buildings around, too.

And then downtown, there's this fucker, which was built for the Super Bowl a few years ago.

I never minded the Marriott, but I always thought that the pyramids looked like the headquarters of an evil corporation in an eighties action movie.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Those needs to be completely covered in ivy or something.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Fire egress can be solved by magnetic locks that release on alarm, or crash bars, or delayed egress bars (which I hate the concept of).

But I agree that the locking random doors poo poo probably doesn't happen anymore.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mr. 47 posted:

I never minded the Marriott, but I always thought that the pyramids looked like the headquarters of an evil corporation in an eighties action movie.

Which, I'm sorry, makes them awesome.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Kunsthaus, Graz, Austria

actually rad as gently caress

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Noggin Monkey posted:

I've been seeing this kind of louver system popping up on new projects. What building is this and who designed it?

I found that through a GIS for Hunt Library at CMU, but looking again I don't think it's the same building. So, I guess I have no idea?

DNova posted:

FYI every single college campus in the US has some baseless story about how something was designed to prevent riots or how this one building that looks different was actually designed for a different school but lol whoops the blueprints got mixed up and they built it here by mistake.

Dmitri-9 posted:

and the architect failed to take the weight of the books into account so the building started sinking hyuk

I think the main problem with university architecture is universities have lots of architecture professors who have no business designing buildings that are actually meant to serve a purpose.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AwwJeah posted:

Kunsthaus, Graz, Austria

kunsthaus? because it looks like a tumor that fell out of someone's kunt?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

AwwJeah posted:

Kunsthaus, Graz, Austria

Looks like a dumb gay alien thing materialized too close to the surface

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

AwwJeah posted:

Kunsthaus, Graz, Austria

Someone call the Cowled Wizards, we've got a planar sphere anemone to take care of.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Speaking of pyramids

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Of course the South would build a pyramid just to stick a Bass Pro Shop inside.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

Lord of Pie posted:

Speaking of pyramids

This is amazing and I don't even fish, Bass Pro Shops owns

The promo vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQeIkYgLtnI

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
The Pyramid in Memphis TN was an all around mess and belongs in this thread even before the Bass Pro remodel.

It looks pretty next to the river though :shobon:

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

When you hear "bad Korean architecture" you think of NK's Ryugyong, I'm sure, but least-best Korea is like the perfect storm of terrible architecture. You've got a country where:
- they got a bunch of money all of a sudden
- no one has any idea what's going on
- there are basically no regulations

I'll make some effortposts later, but here's an easy one:

Seoul's 63 Building, designed by the same firm that did the Sears Tower. Not bad. Inoffensive at worst but I think it looks pretty good.
It, like many early Korean skyscrapers, juts out from out of nowhere. It's not just the tallest building in its area, but there's nothing nearby even a third of it's height (those towers in the background are a little ways off). Also it's clad in super-reflective mirrored gold glass. Also it's specifically positioned to catch the morning light, which it does really well. Really really well. Just look at this fucker:

For about half an hour at dawn, during most of the year, this becomes the world's most annoying reflector. It's like staring into the sun. It's absolutely terrible. Last year I had just moved to Seoul from the southern part of the country, and had woke up really early to drive up the rest of my stuff that was too delicate for the delivery truck. I turned a corner to get on to one of the roads that lines the river and almost drove off the road. It's absolutely awful. It doesn't help that it's still a point of national pride, so no one at my office is willing to commiserate. "Oh, the 63 building? Yes, it's very big! What's that? A blinding eyesore? No, actually it's very beautiful. Please be careful while driving!"

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

The Pyramid in Memphis TN was an all around mess and belongs in this thread even before the Bass Pro remodel.

It looks pretty next to the river though :shobon:

Except for the east side, which is always covered in bird poop. I never could figure out why birds only seemed to nest on that side.

I liked the pyramid as a concept, and especially as a play off of the Memphis name. But it was built in a terrible place with horrible road access and had a terrible interior.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
nobody in gbs has probably ever been to high point, nc, a dying town built on the dying american furniture industry, so i dont know if anyone's seen this bad boy, but it's pretty special

my parents used to drop off rent at a building right next to it when we moved to nc in the 90s. even as a child i thought it was dumbsecretly awesome

also, if you have been to high point, congratulations on your job in the furniture industry! there's no reason to go to there outside of the biannual furniture market. it's the city equivalent of a k-mart.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Wasn't it the Marriot that literally melted cars parked in certain spots in front of it because it focused the sun on them like the world's biggest ant-burner?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Collateral Damage posted:

Wasn't it the Marriot that literally melted cars parked in certain spots in front of it because it focused the sun on them like the world's biggest ant-burner?

Maybe you're thinking of London's walkie-talkie building.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yep that was it, my bad. But it fits the thread:

http://www.livescience.com/39371-skyscraper-melts-cars-20-fenchurch.html

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Speaking of pyramids, we have the Steelcase Pyramid in Grand Rapids.

Its been out of use for years, though, to the point that the parking lot is mostly grass. The creepy part is at night it lights up in red.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
So presumably it should be cheap to buy as a doom fortress goon fortress? :v:

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 3, 2015

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fly Molo posted:

The idea was to force human interaction because it houses the social sciences.

LOL, that architect hates social science students.

Should have been the math building.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

blowfish posted:

So presumably it should be cheap to buy as a doom fortress goon fortress? :v:

Its just been donated to the local school system. I'll be interested to see what they do with it.

You can't see it from the pictures, but there is also a large tunnel/loading dock that runs under the building and has enormous security doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Dienes posted:

Speaking of pyramids, we have the Steelcase Pyramid in Grand Rapids.

Its been out of use for years, though, to the point that the parking lot is mostly grass. The creepy part is at night it lights up in red.

drat thing looks like a Goa'uld mothership.

• Locked thread