Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Linedance posted:

I knew if I sat outside the serviceOntario place long enough, eventually something terrible would turn up.

Is the front bumper hanging off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Linedance posted:

Could you imagine the outcry if someone had suggested driving down the sidewalk and out the next driveway?

wayfinder posted:

Or just over the lawn and around the tree

If I were in my Jeep I would have no problem driving over the curb, but I'm not going to risk damaging the extremely low profile tires and wheels or possibly running over and breaking the sprinklers in my yard because some rear end in a top hat parked in front of my driveway. Why should I go out of my way and risk costing myself money because this shitheel doesn't look before parking his car? The rear bumper of my bright red car was about 6 feet way from his face when he parked.

xzzy posted:

Then there'd be whining about ruining the bodywork when whatever low-slung hatchback that is grinds against the curb. You just don't do that man.

It's a 2014 Fiesta ST, and I would nearly certainly scratch up the wheels going over the curb on the side of the driveway. The wheel sits lower than the curb height - I checked.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
re: towing/petty vandalism, how smart would it be to trash someone's car with yours sitting right next to it? You're just going to get it right back, and how are you going to make a report? "oh, but I was justified in flattening their tires because they did xyz" Won't fly. Better to just tow them away legitimately, then they'll double-gently caress themselves if they do choose to retaliate.

veedubfreak posted:

^^
This was exactly me until I re-located the US plate

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Cars with Euro plate slots look so much better from behind. US plates are too narrow, it makes the car look like it's puckering its lips.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wayfinder posted:

Cars with Euro plate slots look so much better from behind. US plates are too narrow, it makes the car look like it's puckering its lips.

Cars in the US sporting Euro plates just make me assume the driver is a hipster douchebag.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Rhyno posted:

Cars in the US sporting Euro plates just make me assume the driver is a hipster douchebag. self-important, pretentious oval office in his mid 20s who is trying desperately to appear cool to others.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Rhyno posted:

Cars in the US sporting Euro plates just make me assume the driver is a hipster douchebag.

But it matches the rusted hood and hellaflush wheels so well.

Haha, theres a guy at the end of my street that just put either 19s or 20s on his newish Passat. They stick out about 2" past the fender. I'll try to get a picture next time I see it.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Rhyno posted:

What I don't get is why most of them also pick really random ones from Germany. You'd assume that if you have a VW, you'd pick WOB for Wolfsburg for example. But instead you often see them with weird rural or suburban ones, like SU up there. Who the gently caress would admit to living there? Is that some hipster irony thing I'm not getting?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Ghost Farts posted:

What I don't get is why most of them also pick really random ones from Germany. You'd assume that if you have a VW, you'd pick WOB for Wolfsburg for example. But instead you often see them with weird rural or suburban ones, like SU up there. Who the gently caress would admit to living there? Is that some hipster irony thing I'm not getting?

The irony is that they don't care enough to know what any of the markings on the plate mean, so they just buy them from random websites. Wait, that's not ironic.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
So I saw this helaflush Acura the other day outside the smoothie place. Purple body, gold rims, the works. And then I saw the weirdest thing (and stupidly didn't take a photo). On each of the front wheel wells, at the bottom-rear corner (next to the doors), the owner had mounted these pieces of thick metal wire (or maybe some sort of thin rebar) that protruded outside of the wheel in a V shape for a solid 7 inches. Can someone explain to me what the gently caress that was? My reaction to it was :captainpop:.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

shodanjr_gr posted:

So I saw this helaflush Acura the other day outside the smoothie place. Purple body, gold rims, the works. And then I saw the weirdest thing (and stupidly didn't take a photo). On each of the front wheel wells, at the bottom-rear corner (next to the doors), the owner had mounted these pieces of thick metal wire (or maybe some sort of thin rebar) that protruded outside of the wheel in a V shape for a solid 7 inches. Can someone explain to me what the gently caress that was? My reaction to it was :captainpop:.

Curb feelers, I'll bet. A fashion from the 70s/80s is coming around again.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

shodanjr_gr posted:

Curb feelers

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The though that there are people old enough to pay $10 for a somethingawful account, frequent AI, and don't know what curb feelers are has left me feeling... well...

:captainpop:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

eyebeem posted:

I want to know when "Don't gently caress with someone's car" became against the grain in AI.

It's always been "Don't gently caress with MY car" & "people who drive or park wrongly are not human"

e: oh my god dude

shodanjr_gr posted:

They even put curb feelers on a guy's car on pimp my ride. To be fair, it was for the retro look

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

eyebeem posted:

The though that there are people old enough to pay $10 for a somethingawful account, frequent AI, and don't know what curb feelers are has left me feeling... well...

FWIW, I'm 28 but I grew up in Greece where people know how to parallel park :haw:.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

shodanjr_gr posted:

FWIW, I'm 28 but I grew up in Greece where people know how to parallel park :haw:.

Alright, you get a pass because of the Greece thing.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Yup, different colour hatch too because the original likely rusted to powder years ago.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

eyebeem posted:

But does the stroller have curb feelers?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I only know what kerb feelers are from the internet, I have never seen them in person but I think there's a marketing opportunity for them here because people don't need to demonstrate parallel parking to get a license.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

eyebeem posted:

I want to know when "Don't gently caress with someone's car" became against the grain in AI.

Hint: nobody's going to actually gently caress with someone else's car, we're just imagining it because when someone blocks our car in, we feel anger.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

atomicthumbs posted:

Hint: nobody's going to actually gently caress with someone else's car, we're just imagining it because when someone blocks our car in, we feel anger.

I'm gonna leave SO MANY lovely notes.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Sigma X posted:

The irony is that they don't care enough to know what any of the markings on the plate mean, so they just buy them from random websites. Wait, that's not ironic.

When I still had my mk4 I was part of a VW FB group in case I needed cheap parts and 25% of the posts were people asking where to get euro plates. I actually have a euro plate a goon sent me for AISS, but I just have it on a bookshelf.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Of course it's a Prius.

Main article:
http://tollroadsnews.com/news/fiery-crash-at-bergen-toll-plaza-on-garden-state-parkway---memories-of-stratford-ct-1983
In other news, there is a toll road news site?!

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Aurune posted:

Of course it's a Prius.

Main article:
http://tollroadsnews.com/news/fiery-crash-at-bergen-toll-plaza-on-garden-state-parkway---memories-of-stratford-ct-1983

Further proof that electric vehicles are fiery deathtraps.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Pham Nuwen posted:

But does the stroller have curb feelers?

Nah, that was another fifty bucks, and who the he'll spends 1250 on a loving stroller.

That said, I was riding home this morning and while splitting I saw an Evo that looked kinda beat. I noticed a wheel was wobbly. As I slid next to him at the next light, I noticed that his bitchin knock off wheel had THREE cracked spokes.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 4, 2020

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Can't you just sawzall everything off, and make a new manifold that just fires the exhaust strait up through the hood?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Extra posted:

To remove the exhaust manifold on a 2.0L zetec you must remove the catalytic converter. To remove the catalytic converter you must remove the exhaust gas recirculation tube which is held on by a 30mm nut. The 30mm nut is not accessible unless the exhaust manifold is removed. I am now ordering a 30mm crowfoot wrench because no store ever sells one and even then I'm not sure I'll be able to get at this dumb heat seized nut.

You just described why I hate dealing with FWD cars.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Haha, you are talking about a ford product with EGR. You are better off sticking red hot rusty nails up your dong than ever trying to gently caress with that unless your repair procedure is "buy new manifold, buy new EGR bung, buy new EGR tube, buy new EGR valve, buy new EGR DPFE hoses and sensor while you are in there because if they haven't failed they are about to."

It isn't quite that bad but it is close.

PS: I had to use two wrenches, each about 14" long, end to end to get the EGR bung on my dad's ranger to turn even after breaking it free. Good luck. If you end up needing to chase the threads for the bung in the manifold, they are m22x1.5 on most Ford products and I have two of the taps and will never use them again. You are welcome to buy or borrow my spare, your choice.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

It isn't quite that bad but it is close.

No....it really is that bad. That was spot on advice.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Extra posted:

To remove the exhaust manifold on a 2.0L zetec you must remove the catalytic converter. To remove the catalytic converter you must remove the exhaust gas recirculation tube which is held on by a 30mm nut. The 30mm nut is not accessible unless the exhaust manifold is removed. I am now ordering a 30mm crowfoot wrench because no store ever sells one and even then I'm not sure I'll be able to get at this dumb heat seized nut.

They added egr to the later zetecs? The one in the zx2 doesn't come with it because variable exhaust timing shenanigans.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Extra posted:

Is this on a Focus? Because it can be done.

The trick is take the three nuts off the studs sticking up through the header first, then let the cat drop down and remove the middle/bottom bolt holding the header to the head with an extension through the gap between the two. Once the header is out of the way you can get a normal wrench on the EGR fitting, but you can only turn it maybe 1/4" at a time. Every time I've done it you literally have to turn the fitting, reverse the wrench (you're literally turning the fitting so little that the difference between the open end of the wrench facing forward or backwards is all it takes for the next turn) and turn it again - rinse & repeat for 15-20 minutes.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 3, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Aurune posted:

Of course it's a Prius.

Main article:

No, this is how you're supposed to do it. (and yes, that car also caught fire afterwards)

And of course, the first article I can find about it is from the same website. :psyduck:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Extra posted:

For the record I am aware removing the EGR is a dumb thing to do and will reduce gas mileage and is a bad idea without a tune due to detonation temperatures.
I have never believed that forcing an engine to sniff its own farts is a good idea.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

HotCanadianChick posted:

You just described why I hate dealing with FWD cars.

To change the PCV valve in a 1st-gen Mazda 6 (and I think the 3 as well) you have to remove the intake manifold. What a mess.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

angryhampster posted:

To change the PCV valve in a 1st-gen Mazda 6 (and I think the 3 as well) you have to remove the intake manifold. What a mess.

That reminds me: the intake on my GTI is integrated with the engine cover. You have to take it off to do anything beyond an oil change. This also means you have to completely reassemble everything before starting the car. Makes troubleshooting a huge pain as you can't look at the bare engine while it's running and you have to do the work twice if something goes wrong.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 3, 2015

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Aurune posted:

Of course it's a Prius.

Main article:

http://tollroadsnews.com/news/inferno-in-the-cash-lane-at-sam-north-toll-plaza-houston-tx

quote:

The motorist was probably paying his $1.50 toll with six quarters when hit, and moments later, incinerated.

:spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747