Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

tithin posted:

Nah, this was during the last months thread. I had made a comment about my kids having autism (as in, actual diagnosis - can't remember the context to the comment now though) and you responded with basically laughing and saying "well, I'm gonna go spend time with my normal kids now, see ya"

Yes, I recall that now. I admit to "poking the bear" more than a little bit with the forum that weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Gough Suppressant posted:

Could I grab the script you use for these? Id love to see a wordcloud/post generator for the AFL thread.

I should probably put it up on github. If I haven't done it within a week start bugging me on IRC.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

How do you pick posters and then generate it? Do you just randomly generate it according to some measure of phrases of certain length separated by conjunctions?

I have a script that let's me put in a posters name to get one generated from their posts. I try names from the most recent posters until I get 3 that are worth using. If I get stuck I fall back to using Fruity Gordo and Cartoon as being the posters that reliably give good results.

Google markov chains for details of how the script works.

Graic Gabtar posted:

Why is "ANZACS" on there twice?

I probably forgot to check the box to not duplicate words in tagxedo.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Graic Gabtar posted:

Yes, I recall that now. I admit to "poking the bear" more than a little bit with the forum that weekend.

So no "I'm sorry for that, that was a dick move."
Just hmmm yes that does sound something like I'd post.
Jesus Christ you're a piece of work!
edit: and by piece of work I mean loving horrible person

sick of Applebees fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 3, 2015

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Ket posted:

So no "I'm sorry for that, that was a dick move."
Just hmmm yes that does sound something like I'd post.
Jesus Christ you're a piece of work!
edit: and by piece of work I mean loving horrible person

Hi there.

Once early on here I posted something that was a little badly worded, it came across that someone had made really poor career choices and was poo poo at their job. They took some pretty obvious offence. I recognised that I had probably stepped over the line. So I apologised.

That apology was immediately shat on by the forum. I stated that was lesson learned, not to expect an apology from me ever again.

So by piece of work, you actually mean a product of the "eat your young" environment created here then yes.

Cheers.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Graic Gabtar posted:

Why is "ANZACS" on there twice?

Once for those who came back.

AND ONCE FOR THOSE WHO DIDN'T.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
It's not so much "eat your young" as it is

"Drink your piss"

drink it Ciarg

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Graic Gabtar posted:

Hi there.

Once early on here I posted something that was a little badly worded, it came across that someone had made really poor career choices and was poo poo at their job. They took some pretty obvious offence. I recognised that I had probably stepped over the line. So I apologised.

That apology was immediately shat on by the forum. I stated that was lesson learned, not to expect an apology from me ever again.

So by piece of work, you actually mean a product of the "eat your young" environment created here then yes.

Cheers.

Hi there.

Have my responses ever struck you as unreasonable, do you believe I wouldn't accept you apology?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Krazyface posted:

Once for those who came back.

AND ONCE FOR THOSE WHO DIDN'T.

I am not a fan of the art forms but I would get hype for a Gallipoli anime/manga.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

tithin posted:

Hi there.

Have my responses ever struck you as unreasonable, do you believe I wouldn't accept you apology?

Not in the last ten minutes no, before that can't recall!

For what it's worth though I will admit to saying a few crass things that day. I was trying to make some blunt arguments and some of what I was saying was much the same.

However, I don't recall directing them specifically to any one person. I'm an arsehole at times, but not that much of an arsehole.

Regardless though if I did, it's over the line and I apologise to you and your kid.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Graic Gabtar posted:

Not in the last ten minutes no, before that can't recall!

For what it's worth though I will admit to saying a few crass things that day. I was trying to make some blunt arguments and some of what I was saying was much the same.

However, I don't recall directing them specifically to any one person. I'm an arsehole at times, but not that much of an arsehole.

Regardless though if I did, it's over the line and I apologise to you and your kid.

Thank you.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Bifauxnen posted:

Jesus isn't real, dude

I don't know what concerns me more, that an inordinately large amount of people don't realize this, or that there are people in power who don't realize this.

Or maybe both, I don't know, but it's one of the many things that will sometimes keep me up at night.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Birdstrike posted:

I am not a fan of the art forms but I would get hype for a Gallipoli anime/manga.

Wait, did I just make a reference to something specific?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

Bifauxnen posted:

Jesus isn't real, dude

Jesus' existence as a real historical person has been confirmed insofar as it can be short of having his actual corpse.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Birdstrike posted:

valiant hearts

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

How do you pick posters and then generate it? Do you just randomly generate it according to some measure of phrases of certain length separated by conjunctions?

it could be something similar to dissociated press

- e:fb

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 3, 2015

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I mean I get that atheism is cool on the internet but denying the existence of Jesus is pretty dumb even by that low standard

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I assume I got this title here and not the Cricket thread.

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.
WTB: Canoe paddle.

quote:

Tony Abbott acted against the direct advice of the Defence Department when he talked up the possibility of Japan winning the $20 billion "Future Submarines" contract.

High-level departmental advice to the government reveals its overwhelming preference was for Adelaide-based, government-owned ship builder ASC to do the bulk of the work.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/abbott-acted-against-defence-advice-on-subs-20150503-1mxxjp.html

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

quote:

According to the Heart Foundation analysis, based on Australian Bureau of Statistics data, the Darling Downs, which includes towns such as Dalby and St George, is the most obese part of Australia. More than 44 per cent of its residents are obese, and almost three-quarters do not get enough physical activity to be healthy.
[...]
Across Australia, 27.5 per cent of adults are obese, and 57 per cent do not get enough exercise for good health.

Heart Foundation chief executive Mary Barry said the statistics were both alarming and sobering.

"Far from being the fit and active, outdoors type often portrayed, this data shows us that nearly one-third of Australians are obese and more than half are living sedentary lifestyles with little or no physical activity in their day.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/health/australias-fattest-and-fittest-areas-revealed-20150503-1myxdf.html

It's almost as if living in isolated rural areas and pretending your car is an extension of your body is really bad for you. Poverty plays a role too, as cheap food is often really bad for you - even though it's likely to be rated 'heart healthy' by bodies such as the Heart Foundation. We've been following their guidelines for years now and where are we?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Well at least we know where the next series of "The biggest loser" will be.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Oh come on, doesn't the Defence Department know that government can't create jobs?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Captain's call.

Meanwhile Deloittes Economics calls the 2015/16 deficit as "likened the 2015-16 deficit figure to the work of horror writer Stephen King and Norwegian artist Edvard Munch, who is internationally famous for his tortured artwork The Scream"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-04/budget-deficit-figures-likened-to-stephen-king-novel/6441346

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...503-1myvwk.html

quote:

The Australian government would sell the right to immigrate to Australia - with migrants no longer accepted based on their skills or family connections - under radical proposals being examined by the government's independent think tank.

The Productivity Commission is investigating a price-based immigration system that would use entry fees as the primary determinant for who gains entry to Australia.

Such a scheme could help the government rein in the budget deficit by bringing in tens of billions of dollars in extra revenue and allow it to trim the number of public servants administering Australia's immigration system.

But the proposals have alarmed business groups and unions, who say tackling skills shortages should remain the focus of Australia's immigration policy. Ethnic community groups say they would oppose any moves that would prevent poorer immigrants from re-uniting with their families.

The Productivity Commission issues paper on Australia's migrant intake, released on Friday, raises some dramatic proposals including introducing an immigration lottery and creating a HECS-style payment system for immigrants to pay back their entry fee.

The Australian migration program issues permanent residency visas to three streams of migrants: those with particular skills; those with families in Australia; and others who meet special eligibility criteria.

The government established the inquiry, which will issue its final report next March, in a deal to secure Liberal Democrat Senator David Leyonhjelm's support for the reintroduction of temporary protection visas for asylum seekers.

In its issues paper, the Productivity Commission canvasses two options to introduce an "immigration fee": setting a price, with the size of the intake dictated by demand; or setting a cap on the intake and allowing demand to dictate the price of entry.

The commission notes there are also middle ground options such as allowing a capped number of places to be allocated via a tender process. The United States - whose immigration program is less skills-focussed than Australia's - uses a "diversity lottery" to allocate up to 50,000 places a year to applicants from countries with low rates of immigration to the US.

The inability of many hopeful immigrants to pay upfront could be addressed by allowing them to borrow against future expected earnings or by introducing a loans program.

The commission notes that introducing a price-based system could lead to some loss of government control over Australia's immigrant intake and could change the composition of those who apply to migrate to Australia.

Refugees would not have to pay the fee.

Senator Leyonhjelm said that a fee-based immigration system had been backed by Nobel Prize-winning economist Gary Becker. Senator Leyonhjelm nominated $50,000 as a possible amount for entry to Australia.

"This would make a substantial financial contribution to the Australian budget and I hope that would lead to lower taxes," he said.

Businesses needing skilled migrants could pay the fee or governments could waive the fee for particular professions or trades, he said.

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton said that the proposals were not government policy when releasing the inquiry's terms of reference earlier this year.

"The government is keen to see the Productivity Commission analyse these issues thoroughly, however there are no plans to make significant changes to the migration program," he said.

Australia uses a mix of qualitative factors (such as skills) and charges in its immigration process, he said.

Australian Industry Group chief executive Innes Willox, said that "skilled migrants should remain the primary source of new entrants".

Australian Council of Trade Unions President Ged Kearney said: "We are concerned the Productivity Commission's inquiry is focused on allowing only those rich enough to migrate regardless of fulfilling the current requirements, including filling skills shortages."

The Productivity Commission will release a draft report in November and hold public hearings before it hands its final report to government next March.
:stare: Because with the unemployment rate at >6% what we really need is an influx of people with skills not necessarily in areas we are short of...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Makes you think

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Arent comics supposed to be funny? or witty? or anything?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I think first dog comics are bad because they assume too much prior knowledge. The first 1000 panels of every comic should teach someone to read and understand English. Also every time a pronoun is used it should be followed in parentheses by a complete description and history of that pronoun.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Tithin how can you unironically beg people to stop replying to Negligent and then immediately reply to graic grabtar

Do you smell toast? Try to lift your arms. Is there someone nearby who can help you?

I noticed this too.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

my stepdads beer posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/health/australias-fattest-and-fittest-areas-revealed-20150503-1myxdf.html

It's almost as if living in isolated rural areas and pretending your car is an extension of your body is really bad for you. Poverty plays a role too, as cheap food is often really bad for you - even though it's likely to be rated 'heart healthy' by bodies such as the Heart Foundation. We've been following their guidelines for years now and where are we?

It's almost as if well planned cities have benefits other than appealing to late sipping lefties.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Bill Shorten is happy to lower the RET target to 33K

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...503-1mz51v.html

I think even though renewables are really popular with the public, most don't give a poo poo about RETs, let alone understand the system. Hopefully the Liberals agree to the new target so that the industry can have some certainty.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Freudian Slip posted:

That's been the case for a couple of months now.

But you wouldnt know it because Bread Shabbob is such an invisible nobody

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Gough Suppressant posted:

I think first dog comics are bad because they assume too much prior knowledge. The first 1000 panels of every comic should teach someone to read and understand English. Also every time a pronoun is used it should be followed in parentheses by a complete description and history of that pronoun.

The thing that I dislike most is the 4-5 twitter circlejerk in-jokes in every single strip

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Four Corners tonight looks wonderfully depressing.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Drugs posted:

The thing that I dislike most is the 4-5 twitter circlejerk in-jokes in every single strip

The thing I dislike the most is the essay in every strip.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Makes you think

Wow, that's hamfisted.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Freudian Slip posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...503-1mz51v.html

I think even though renewables are really popular with the public, most don't give a poo poo about RETs, let alone understand the system. Hopefully the Liberals agree to the new target so that the industry can have some certainty.

I wonder if they should just accept whatever low ball offer the libs want really. renewables are going to be far more cost effective than anything else on the market soon (if they aren't already) so schemes like this to incentivise may not be necessary before too long.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Wow, that's hamfisted.

It's worth it for kawaii tony

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

norp posted:

That's been the case for a couple of months now.

But you wouldnt know it because Bread Shabbob is such an invisible nobody

No, they were going with 33.5K for the past couple of months. He has signaled that he is willing to drop it further today.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
AFP press conference on if you are interested.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Freudian Slip posted:

No, they were going with 33.5K for the past couple of months. He has signaled that he is willing to drop it further today.

If that's the case then may as well just can the whole thing then, no way the Libs are gonna budge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Well we appear to have come to the end times. I'm not able to get riled up by NTATA* because he isn't saying anything. This was the strategy that I expected from the get go. An NTATA closely media managed is way more terrifying than a loose cannon bouncing all over the parliament. I suspect this is the shutters being rolled down in the run up to the next election with the hope that things go no further South.

https://www.pm.gov.au/media

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/6211-state-of-the-nation-politics-release-201504272227

quote:

Despite falling behind, the Abbott Government has every chance to win the next Federal Election. A quick look at history tells us that many first-term Federal Governments in Australia faced significant problems during the first half of their terms, but then recovered and won the next election.

Implementing tough and unpopular reforms can often be the best way to regain support. Some of the most successful Governments advocated tough reforms and carried them through, from John Howard introducing the GST prior to the 1998 Federal Election to NSW Premier Mike Baird recently winning re-election while advocating the 99 year lease of energy assets. In New Zealand, conservative Prime Minister John Key – widely regarded as the most successful centre-right politician in the world today – increased the GST and since then has easily won the next two New Zealand elections.

The latest economic data shows we are even more in the toilet than we suspected with the next RBA decision likely to be to cut rates further to 2%. For the first time the lack of wages growth is being cited as putting downwards pressure on revenue assumptions.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/grogonomics/2014/nov/18/slow-wage-rises-show-australias-industrial-relations-system-is-working

All of which will just grooms you, the punter, for the GST as the only viable solution to Labor's debt and deficit disaster. Please point out to me any argument for the GST that isn't "broadens the tax base" or "our current one is lower than the OECD average" (I guess I should include other non-arguments like the one Michele Levine used in her spew like "NZ has a big one and they're going great!" The first budget disaster can actually be used as a battering ram for the GST. "We tried everything else first but the ALP and the Greens blocked everything else!"

http://www.rba.gov.au/monetary-policy/rba-board-minutes/2015/2015-04-07.html

Hard to see why 25 basis points is such a big deal except, as I have mentioned previously that amounts to 1/9th of what the RBA has in the tank for it's management of the economy. They aren't getting even a hint of help from the federal government with effectively every policy either stalled or promoting the slowing of the economy.

As an example consider the RET. A gently caress off huge RET would be a wonderous thing and could even place Australia as world leader (I'll accept accusations of fantasy but we were actually the leader a couple of decades ago) none the less having no firm target is a disaster. Every minute that passes with out us having a firm target sees investment go elsewhere. In an environment :laugh: that is curated by people who claim wind turbines are ugly and climate change a joke who can blame investors from staying away in droves. To gently caress things up all the Tories have to do is fail to agree on a number and legislate it. So we find ourselves now with the LNP standing in their trenches to defend 32 000 GWh and the ALP (and presumably the Greens) willing to die in a ditch if they don't get 33 500 GWh. I personally find the drop from 41 000 GWh appalling and short sighted but we would be significantly better off with 32 000 GWh last year than no agreed target this year. The difference is less than 5% guys just get over it. And believe me I am swallowing gravel and bile to be virtually agreeing with Kate actual child killer Carnell on any issue.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-04/union-calls-for-renewable-energy-target-resolution/6441864

Grats on a stirling run as Minister for Indigenous Affairs too NTATA you piece of poo poo.

Optional section. I put this last so if you are time poor and don't want to read meta thread poo poo you don't have to read what amounts to posting poo poo about posting poo poo.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717048&userid=213078 ~30 posts 4 days in. The one that contained a slight apology to Tithin after being dragged kicking and screaming only one worth a single poo poo.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717048&userid=204309 At this point this has become a desperate cry for attention. There is no reason for anyone to reply to this drivel.

Hey go right ahead and smack your heads against those walls. I've given this advice to people who reply to IWC on the grounds of informing lurkers. You can respond to any issue that such posters raise without either quoting them, engaging with them or giving them any of the attention they so clearly crave.

* Noted Torture Apologist Tony Abbott. Tony would also like to be mentioned for his role in encouraging rape, domestic violence and the upcoming release of his new book The Gospel According to Tony.

• Locked thread