Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hotsauce posted:

I have a code. It's yours if you like. PM me.

Thank you, but I don't believe I can bring that phone over to Sprint. :( If I can, i'll take the code though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I have to run to dinner. F5 I guess.

SELFIE-DIOA-HVQN-XRU6-EWUR

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm going to flash 5.1 over my 5.0.1 Nexus 4. I thought that the flash-all script had something about a -w that would wipe the user data, but I can't find it. Am I misremembering, or did they really change that?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It does. Also you can't just run the flash all script if you're rooted, you have to flash the parts individually.

line is:

fastboot -w update image-<device>.zip

You can take the w off and run it without wiping your data if you're not rooted. If you're rooted:

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash bootloader <bootloader-filename>.img
fastboot flash radio <radio-fileame>.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot boot twrp.img
adb sideload SuperSU.zip

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Here's the whole file (minus the Apache license stuff):
code:
@ECHO OFF
PATH=%PATH%;"%SYSTEMROOT%\System32"
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-mako-makoz30f.img
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
fastboot flash radio radio-mako-m9615a-cefwmazm-2.0.1701.05.img
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
fastboot update image-occam-lrx22c.zip

echo Press any key to exit...
pause >nul
exit
But good to know about root anyway, although I thought I'd used flash-all fine before, but I might be forgetting that I had to re-root or something.

Edit: nevermind, I was looking at the bat from my 5.0.1 folder, where I'd of course removed the -w :doh:

hooah fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 16, 2015

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Just bought a LG G2 and rooted it via Stump Root. I also updated it to Lollipop. Since then I apparently lost the root, Stump Root still acts like the device is rooted and have been trying to figure it out. Was using this guide http://highonandroid.com/android-sm...g3-on-lollipop/

And can't seem to get it to work. The download mode gets stuck at 0% and the driver failed to install. The box at the bottom says USER B84. Honestly I'm a bit confused because this is my first Android phone and I just wanted to install a volume boost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm still debating whether or not I'll root the Droid Turbo when I get it tomorrow. I know it won't be as easy as the Nexus phones I've had, but how bad is it? And does anyone know how well the "community" is doing with update zips?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

hooah posted:

I'm still debating whether or not I'll root the Droid Turbo when I get it tomorrow. I know it won't be as easy as the Nexus phones I've had, but how bad is it? And does anyone know how well the "community" is doing with update zips?

As far as I can tell it's mostly a pointless waste of $20.

The only thing I've heard from people who have rooted their turbo is that they get a bunch of random crashes and reboots. That may just be a case of people only speaking up when they have a problem though.

It's also only a "half" root or whatever. You still can't unlock the bootloader and run custom roms.

I'm just happy being stuck on 4.4.4. I don't have to deal with any of the bugs people complain about with 5.x Android. :)

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

CortezFantastic posted:

Just bought a LG G2 and rooted it via Stump Root. I also updated it to Lollipop. Since then I apparently lost the root, Stump Root still acts like the device is rooted and have been trying to figure it out. Was using this guide http://highonandroid.com/android-sm...g3-on-lollipop/

And can't seem to get it to work. The download mode gets stuck at 0% and the driver failed to install. The box at the bottom says USER B84. Honestly I'm a bit confused because this is my first Android phone and I just wanted to install a volume boost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm pretty sure there's no method to root the G2 and G3 on lollipop (yet) unless you flash a pre-rooted rom via custom recovery.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mogomra posted:

As far as I can tell it's mostly a pointless waste of $20.

The only thing I've heard from people who have rooted their turbo is that they get a bunch of random crashes and reboots. That may just be a case of people only speaking up when they have a problem though.

It's also only a "half" root or whatever. You still can't unlock the bootloader and run custom roms.

I'm just happy being stuck on 4.4.4. I don't have to deal with any of the bugs people complain about with 5.x Android. :)

Well, I wouldn't be interested in custom ROMs anyway, just Titanium Backup, Tasker, and AdAway. Bummer about losing Lollipop, though.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

hooah posted:

Well, I wouldn't be interested in custom ROMs anyway, just Titanium Backup, Tasker, and AdAway. Bummer about losing Lollipop, though.

Helium can do some backups without root. Tasker shouldn't need it for most things (llama only needs it for reboot actions).

Adaway is nice, but honestly I haven't bothered with it since a few months back. I use very few ad-supported apps these days.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Can Tasker/Llama put the phone on vibrate according to events in a particular calendar? Since Google's added Smart Lock, that's all I really use it for anymore. Although I guess I would want that with the Turbo since it's not on Lollipop yet.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Anyone doing anything interesting with Cyanogenmod these days? I've been a faithful advocate of it for several years & am looking to chat about it.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

hooah posted:

Can Tasker/Llama put the phone on vibrate according to events in a particular calendar? Since Google's added Smart Lock, that's all I really use it for anymore. Although I guess I would want that with the Turbo since it's not on Lollipop yet.
Yup, at least llama can. Tasker should also be able to.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

CortezFantastic posted:

Back up with TWRP if you care about what you've done with your phone so far, go back to actually factory images (not just the on-device reset options) and try again. Also make sure your root exploit works with your stock firmware (if you can TWRP from factory Lollipop, its SuperSU injector is pretty reliable).

Yes you need to have access to AND be familiar with factory images if you're going to root, because upgrading past 5.0 depends on it - delta patches for Lollipop and on are against entire volumes. Simply having ever rooted will cause an OTA to (gracefully) abort, and as far as I know no recovery does monolithic backups. Also at some point 4.4 is going to be cut loose same as everything before it because Google won't be able to get carriers to patch the system webview anymore and we already see good reasons why people will want to move past 5.1.

If you think what I'm saying sounds like these days you need to plan for taking personal control of your device's capabilities and security (in a very real sense) before you ever buy it, then you're not far wrong. You got lucky that G2s have well-observed factory images, but you still need to learn how to use them if you're going to be happy this way. And if you wonder why rooting is generally counseled against in other Android threads (even by me) this is why.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 25, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

A3th3r posted:

Anyone doing anything interesting with Cyanogenmod these days? I've been a faithful advocate of it for several years & am looking to chat about it.

We mostly know what CM.org and maintainers tell us. Keep in mind the above: the only real candidates for custom ROMs anymore are devices with factory images available, and most of those have pretty comfortable stock ROMs already. Also you still need drivers for the stuff on your phone and in true Linux fashion they go in the kernel, and in typical fashion they need to be compatible with your version of Android, and if the manufacturer sourced their components from jerks there may not even be blob drivers available for kernel assemblers.

Thus: the state of devices already fit for CyanogenMod won't change much, while the role of CyanogenMod on devices already contemporary with Lollipop or later versions of Android is drastically reduced, and may not even be worthwhile anymore.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 25, 2015

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

hooah posted:

Sorry, I must have misunderstood the question. There is no lollipop for the Turbo yet. Rooted or not.

I thought you wanted to install a lollipop rom or something.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I'm running the newest cm 12.1 nightly for my moto x 2014. Has anyone had issues with awesomeplayer/ nuplayer? I notice that using either in chrome with embedded videos is very glitchy, seeking is very laggy and often will lead to the whole phone freezing up and rebooting.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Zom Aur posted:

Helium can do some backups without root. Tasker shouldn't need it for most things (llama only needs it for reboot actions).

Adaway is nice, but honestly I haven't bothered with it since a few months back. I use very few ad-supported apps these days.

Youtube ad blocking is currently what's keeping me rooted. Don't actually have a problem with static ads that don't waste my life in 15 second increments.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Youtube ad blocking is currently what's keeping me rooted. Don't actually have a problem with static ads that don't waste my life in 15 second increments.

What do you use for youtube ad blocking?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

r0ck0 posted:

I'm curious aswell since I got Lollipop, I don't use xposed+youtube adaway.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
I just use regular AdAway, at least until the new premium service comes.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

r0ck0 posted:

There's an Xposed module. Google periodically breaks it somehow, but I've never had problems after updating.

Pretty sure I downloaded it from within the main Xposed app, but here's where you can download it by itself.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Hi, the OP of this thread is 5 years old, made by a banned poster, and full of broken links. How do I root my phone?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

30.5 Days posted:

Hi, the OP of this thread is 5 years old, made by a banned poster, and full of broken links. How do I root my phone?

Maybe take the hint and don't bother?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

nimper posted:

Maybe take the hint and don't bother?

Vote 1 and move on. If you think the thread is actually against rules/law/whatever, report it.

30.5 Days posted:

Thanks to the new Android security model, unless you went out of your way to get a developer phone or something else with official access to system images, you probably don't.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

Search "xda Samsung root" and start downloading and flashing stuff. What could go wrong?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
God IYG is the worst.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

RVProfootballer posted:

Search "xda Samsung root" and start downloading and flashing stuff. What could go wrong?

Don't forget to delete as many system files as you can. They aren't important.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

30.5 Days posted:

God IYG is the worst.

Sir Unimaginative gave you about the best answer you can expect nowadays. What phone do you have?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Thanks to the new Android security model, unless you went out of your way to get a developer phone or something else with official access to system images, you probably don't.

I thought a supreme court decision made it so software developers couldn't do this? There was a big deal over Apple and the jailbreak hack for iOS that ended up going to court and if I remember correctly that was basically the outcome, was the courts told Apple they can't prevent people from doing this sort of thing to their phones.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I thought a supreme court decision made it so software developers couldn't do this? There was a big deal over Apple and the jailbreak hack for iOS that ended up going to court and if I remember correctly that was basically the outcome, was the courts told Apple they can't prevent people from doing this sort of thing to their phones.

Are you thinking of network unlocking? That went to court, but has nothing to do with rooting.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
^^ Or that, yeah.

I didn't pay a great deal of attention to that, but my understanding was that the court ruled that it's not illegal to jailbreak/root your phone, but they didn't place any onus on manufacturers to make it easy to do so.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I said come in! posted:

The point I'm talking about is purely technical:

Starting with Android 5.0 (Lollipop), Android updates don't see a filesystem when they write patches to /system, just a bulk partition. Change so much as a last-accessed timestamp and the updater won't even try. Don't have factory images to go back to and you're stuck with an out-of-spec device you can't update for the life of the device (or with the largesse of ROM cookers and CyanogenMod maybe).

Developer devices (and iPhones/iPads, but this isn't the iOS Jailbreak thread) are about the only thing that have guaranteed user access to factory images. It'll be a ton easier to find them :airquote:somewhere:airquote: if they're not from a carrier, but it'd still be on you to make sure they're from the manufacturer (ideally from their actual servers and just not exposed to the public) and not someone's freshly ripped stock ROM or something (because something could get flipped even then).

EDIT: Oh yeah: on some phones (Samsung for US carriers loves this poo poo) they make it so rolling back your Android version can kill your phone. And had factory images available at some point but not for newer versions.

This all, of course, ignores the part where you may need to unlock bootloaders or use exploits or something else that the manufacturer either won't or shouldn't let you do. So these days you pretty much need to look for phones that can be rooted or are worth rooting if you want a rooted phone. And the fun part is that CyanogenMod etc probably won't be worthwhile for that much longer, not because of brain drain (although that too is happening) but because the phones that can be rooted or are worth rooting are generally good as they are, and don't really call for custom ROMs, while the jacked up phones are the ones least likely to be rootable in the first place.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 3, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thank you for the responses! That is all really great information and informative. I still want to root my Sprint Galaxy S5, but it seems like that is out of the question. And really i'm not entirely sure that's even a good idea if that is ever a possibility. All I really want is to fix a bug in their Lollipop update that Samsung and Sprint refuse to fix, which was that it disabled the LCD light for notifications. And really they may still fix this, but its been a couple months now, and according to Sprint customer support they are aware of the issue, they admitted to me that it exists. So rooting a phone for one issue is probably not worth it. In the future I need to just learn my lesson and buy a phone from the Google play store.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Yeah, Samsung's KNOX garbage turned me off the S6, I have the S3 and I know how difficult it made it to make my phone work properly.

My upgrade is up, so I'm in the market for a root-able modern phone. What's the disadvantages to getting an official Nexus 6? I could deal with the iPhone battery it's got, and the screen looks really nice.

Anyone else root/mod friendly? HTC is so-so, only because you have to ask them and they could begin refusing at any time. I know the Samsung KNOX brick situation, don't know anything about LG, Kyocera etc.

Sprint (I know, but it's free to me), so the OnePlus One is out.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Harik posted:

Yeah, Samsung's KNOX garbage turned me off the S6, I have the S3 and I know how difficult it made it to make my phone work properly.

My upgrade is up, so I'm in the market for a root-able modern phone. What's the disadvantages to getting an official Nexus 6? I could deal with the iPhone battery it's got, and the screen looks really nice.

Anyone else root/mod friendly? HTC is so-so, only because you have to ask them and they could begin refusing at any time. I know the Samsung KNOX brick situation, don't know anything about LG, Kyocera etc.

Sprint (I know, but it's free to me), so the OnePlus One is out.

If the size is good for you, the Nexus 6 is great.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Harik posted:

As a long time phone-rooter, I'm extremely happy with my Nexus 6. I haven't even rooted it since T-Mobile includes wifi tethering without the usual ridiculous extra fee. I still support the idea of rooting a phone though, but if I go into my reasoning for that I'll derail the thread.

No removable battery is really the only drawback of the N6, but a microSD slot would be a nice addition.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

30.5 Days posted:

Asking the question without even specifying your device makes it pretty clear you have no idea of what you are getting into, and you probably shouldn't, even if you could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Luceo posted:

As a long time phone-rooter, I'm extremely happy with my Nexus 6. I haven't even rooted it since T-Mobile includes wifi tethering without the usual ridiculous extra fee. I still support the idea of rooting a phone though, but if I go into my reasoning for that I'll derail the thread.

No removable battery is really the only drawback of the N6, but a microSD slot would be a nice addition.

MicroSD is both a plus and a minus. While the extra space is nice on my S3, the fragmented storage situation (internal, "fake SD", "real external SD") is not that great. Lingering artifact of the original dumb design decision to pass the SD card to the host as a block device. Is 32GB that much of a limit? I've only got 12 usable on the S3 now.