Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Warmachine posted:

Oh, that's not to say I'm not interested in what happened; just that there's no need for me to replay everything to piece things out. Though, I might, seeing as summer just rolled into town and it's been forever since I heard Alistair be incurably stupid on screen.

Ah, yes, I get you on that one. I crafted my Dragon Age Keep world state with great care, but I'm unlikely to revisit things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Warmachine posted:

it's been forever since I heard Alistair be incurably stupid on screen.

For my second DAI playthrough I had Alistair as the Warden ally and it was a real downer to hear how much the guy is phoning it in. He doesn't do much voice acting apart from the big role as Alistair and seems to just do bit parts in dramas, but his job in DAI is really lacklustre. It's especially bad when compared with how decent DA:O Alistair was. This time, really boring delivery with huge random pauses between sentences and even words. The voice direction in the game is mostly good so he was particularly disappointing. Al wasn't even stupid. He was just... dull.

Loghain is miles better.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

funakupo posted:

One other small free thing coming, in case hadn't been noticed in that announcement:

"As an added bonus for players of Dragon Age: Origins or Dragon Age II, two new thrones will be unlocked for use at Skyhold. Be sure to download and install the latest Dragon Age: Inquisition game update to get these thrones at no additional cost. Will you lead the Inquisition from the Legacy Kirkwall throne or the Legacy Ferelden throne? The choice is yours!"

So, apparently Patch 7 will also include the new thrones. Pretty indicative that P7 will be required by Black Emporium. (P7 also being the big MP additions).

BioWare are just now closing the beta MP server to roll everything for Tuesday upgrade. Nothing on what plans for P8 beta announced yet.

It won't matter if the playthroughs of the other two games were on a different platform as long as the keep was able to find some of the playthroughs, right?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

SgtSteel91 posted:

So The Black Emporium is coming out on everything May 5 along with an addition to the multiplayer (new map, the ability to fight a Dragon, and new characters) at no cost

BW, mind sticking a tier 3 warden battlemage armor schematic in there?

Kthx

P.s. Also some cool hats.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
So since I've toyed around with and installed a few DA:I mods, once I download the next update, it's going to break everything to pieces, right?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Blackwall spoilers: if you listen to him and read all the codices his lie becomes really apparent by the time you reach Skyhold. He says he was in Ferelden during the Blight, which is a red flag for anyone who played Origins anyway, since Alistair was pretty sure there were no other Wardens around. In Skyhold where Leliana hangs out there's a codex entry that's just another letter... from Warden Blackwall just after Cailan died, stating that he's stuck in Orlais with the other Wardens.

It's so unsubtle and I'm sure everyone else took note of it but I didn't first time through.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm going to use the Ferelden Legacy throne like Cailan would, because he's a good role model. I have, on my main dwarf dude, all my Skyhold modifications set to Grey Warden theme, because my dwarf is a Grey Wardens fanboy. My elf lady is all Dalish of course. She doesn't like Wardens, and sent them away, the huge jerk.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
So after watching a bit of gameplay and reading how much you guys seem to enjoy it, I am planning on getting Inquisition. However, I want to beat at least Origins first since i own ultimate. Are there any tips for what to do/what to skip? I've already done the raising an army for redcliffe, Dalish, and the Circle. In the middle of the Dwarf one. And any tips on making a broken PC in case i want to start over and make different choices? The combat is ok, but rarely gripping, so id like to power through poo poo when i go through with Hindsight.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

eating only apples posted:

Blackwall spoilers: if you listen to him and read all the codices his lie becomes really apparent by the time you reach Skyhold. He says he was in Ferelden during the Blight, which is a red flag for anyone who played Origins anyway, since Alistair was pretty sure there were no other Wardens around. In Skyhold where Leliana hangs out there's a codex entry that's just another letter... from Warden Blackwall just after Cailan died, stating that he's stuck in Orlais with the other Wardens.

It's so unsubtle and I'm sure everyone else took note of it but I didn't first time through.

I knew something was up my first playthrough, but I'm very simple and thought maybe he was one of the werewolves from the Brecilian Forest :downs:

Really lame the Hakkon DLC isn't out til the 26th. Black Emporium should be cool, though, I'm excited to see how they design it on the new engine.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nasgate posted:

So after watching a bit of gameplay and reading how much you guys seem to enjoy it, I am planning on getting Inquisition. However, I want to beat at least Origins first since i own ultimate. Are there any tips for what to do/what to skip? I've already done the raising an army for redcliffe, Dalish, and the Circle. In the middle of the Dwarf one. And any tips on making a broken PC in case i want to start over and make different choices? The combat is ok, but rarely gripping, so id like to power through poo poo when i go through with Hindsight.

You'll be creating saves in the Keep, so don't worry about making every choice when you play the game.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I've not checked this game out before, but a quick google search shows a lot of controversy regarding the PC port of the game. All things being equal is it best just to play on PS4/X1? I have a powerful PC but if it truly plays better on console I'll just get it on my PS4.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Nasgate posted:

You're most of the way through the game. Orzammar is the longest of the four big setpieces. What origin are you playing? Mage is the most broken in Origins and II I think, not so much in Inquisition. The Keep lets you set your decisions to import into Inquisition if there's anything you regret and/or don't want to play.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

What origin are you playing? Mage is the most broken in Origins and II I think, not so much in Inquisition.

You haven't tried knight-enchanter yet, have you?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I dunno how broken it is, but Rift Mage is super fun. The big meteor storm finisher is one of my favorite powers, like the 2H warrior where you slice open the ground and fire comes out.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Dienes posted:

Or Rift Mage

Pretty much a 'never get approached by an enemy again' class

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Crow Jane posted:

I knew something was up my first playthrough, but I'm very simple and thought maybe he was one of the werewolves from the Brecilian Forest :downs:

Oh man, that would've been so much better. I know most people didn't choose werewolves because doing so actively hinders you (by cutting off access to elfroot and giving you no ranged support against the Archdemon) but it was great having their emissary at camp and then the Lady at Redcliffe at the end.

I'm guessing that non-quest in DA2 is the last we've heard of them though :(

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm going to use the Ferelden Legacy throne like Cailan would, because he's a good role model.

If you're following Cailan's example you could just use the Orlesian throne instead :smug:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Nasgate posted:

If you're on PC get the "Skip the Fade" mod. It's only cool once and it'll shave an hour + off your game time. If you're only playing for story then set combat to easy and every PC will be broken :v:

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

I saw that mod before I started playing Origins as well. Didn't use it since this my first playthrough. But I am currently in the Fade section right this moment. And now I understand why Skip the Fade is the 6th most popular DA:O mod on Nexus of all time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Too many drat codex entries to follow. I gave up trying to read most of them 2 hours in. I hate reading small fonts on a TV screen.

Dienes posted:

I don't think you can do insane amounts of damage w/ KE, though.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Giant Boy Detective posted:

I saw that mod before I started playing Origins as well. Didn't use it since this my first playthrough. But I am currently in the Fade section right this moment. And now I understand why Skip the Fade is the 6th most popular DA:O mod on Nexus of all time.

The fade is nothing. "Skip the Deep Roads" should exist if it doesn't. You guys weren't kidding when you said this was the longest one. If I didn't do any side quests this would be half my play time, and I'm not done yet.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The Deep Roads are great, though

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

The Deep Roads are great, though

I'm not done, but so far it's so extremely generic story wise, and is the worst offender of when Bioware is unable to give characters individual agency.

And having your party killed by 4 simultaneous Overwhelms by spiders is frustrating, if extremely unlucky.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
the deep roads is a sewer level

GauchoNaut2085
Oct 23, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I don't think you can do insane amounts of damage w/ KE, though.

Chaotic Focus + Fire Mine + KE = Perpetual Explosion Engine. Even with Immolate you can do thousands of damage when you spec out correctly and still be invincible while doing it. KE isn't quite the damage dealing setup you can pull off in a rogue class, but you should never lose a fight on any difficulty.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

GauchoNaut2085 posted:

Even with Immolate you can do thousands of damage when you spec out correctly

Apparently I need better gear. But otherwise I agree. That's more or less the build I've been going with.

Of course, with Fade Step, because it's the most fun ability in the game.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Anti-Hero posted:

I've not checked this game out before, but a quick google search shows a lot of controversy regarding the PC port of the game. All things being equal is it best just to play on PS4/X1? I have a powerful PC but if it truly plays better on console I'll just get it on my PS4.

I am also curious about this, because I have the PC port, and I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary (then again, I just built my computer so it's probably plenty powerful).

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

CVagts posted:

I am also curious about this, because I have the PC port, and I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary (then again, I just built my computer so it's probably plenty powerful).
It runs perfectly fine on PC. The controls are much more intuitive with a controller than keyboard and mouse, however. I just had to remap some things and I'm fine with kb+m, but I'm sure some people would prefer to just plug their controller in to the PC.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's actually pretty decently optimized compared to a lot of modern ports. Runs perfectly playable on my aging laptop (except for...firestorm I think that causes single digit FPS when triggered.)

The only real PC issue is the control scheme.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Well I was using a controller from the get-go so that explains why I didn't notice anything.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Oh god I just found the money vault and lord trifles

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CVagts posted:

Well I was using a controller from the get-go so that explains why I didn't notice anything.

You'll notice the lack of buttons.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Ok so I've just finished my first playthrough (as in finished the main story if not every quest/area) and I have a Blackwall question.

I seem to have completely the missed the whole Blackwall 'reveal' - does this sometimes not happen?? I have no idea when it should have happened within the main story, or what I might have done to miss it... I had a decent friendship with him throughout and took him on some significant missions if that makes any difference. I'm going to play through again anyway with a different character, to see how different decisions pan out, what should I look out for?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Robot Mil posted:

Ok so I've just finished my first playthrough (as in finished the main story if not every quest/area) and I have a Blackwall question.

I seem to have completely the missed the whole Blackwall 'reveal' - does this sometimes not happen?? I have no idea when it should have happened within the main story, or what I might have done to miss it... I had a decent friendship with him throughout and took him on some significant missions if that makes any difference. I'm going to play through again anyway with a different character, to see how different decisions pan out, what should I look out for?

I never got the message that he leaves in Skyhold, but I traveled to Val Royeaux and found him interrupting the execution.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

How do I proceed with the Fairel quest in the hissing wastes after raiding the main Venatori camp?

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

CVagts posted:

I never got the message that he leaves in Skyhold, but I traveled to Val Royeaux and found him interrupting the execution.

I do remember a point when I couldn't find him in Skyhold, but to be honest I didn't really think much of it let alone to travel to Val Royeaux! I guess that's what I get for not paying much attention?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Robot Mil posted:

I do remember a point when I couldn't find him in Skyhold, but to be honest I didn't really think much of it let alone to travel to Val Royeaux! I guess that's what I get for not paying much attention?

There's a point, after Adamant where Blackwall has apparently disappeared, but is actually in the courtyard chopping wood, but he won't appear there until you go to where he normally is, so it's easy to think he's gone. After this conversation there's another with him in his normal spot, then a third where you go for drinks. After that, if you go to his normal spot, you'll find a note pinned to the rocking horse, at which point a scout approaches you from behind and begins the quest.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Ah thanks, I'll do some hunting after Adamant this time round!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

How do I proceed with the Fairel quest in the hissing wastes after raiding the main Venatori camp?

So I was supposed to randomly waddle east until I came upon a dragon, or did I miss something?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Rinkles posted:

So I was supposed to randomly waddle east until I came upon a dragon, or did I miss something?

Have you got all the key fragments? There's five. The end of the quest is where the dragon hangs out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Rinkles posted:

There was another map floating around that showed the location of the final tomb.

• Locked thread