Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm sure there's a cryptic set of clues hidden in these images :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

TheChaosPath posted:

Seems like a lot of work bro

man you are amazing

you bitch and bitch about people not digging and then when one person shows how they would do it you bitch about that

god drat

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
dig count

Urban Smurf - 1
xie - 0

lmao

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
anybody else bitching in this thread is getting a month off

I'm so tired of it, act like adults for once

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Homestar Runner posted:

dig count

Urban Smurf - 47
xie - 0

e. clarification to avoid probation: making fun of Urban Smurf's scattergun approach, not complaining about xie.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."

CommonShore posted:

e. clarification to avoid probation: making fun of Urban Smurf's scattergun approach, not complaining about xie.

The Secret is like a pile of coffee beans. Fearlessly posting our ideas is the grinder. The critical response is the high pressured espresso machine. I think of my theories as straight esspresso (not always the best, occasionally magical, and usually not desirable after sitting around for a couple min.) Xie's theory is like some kind of foofoo raspberry mochalatte.

I need to compile my material better. My approach isnt so dramatically different than many other hunters who are driven to put all the pieces together. Where some people keep their efforts in a vacuum of focus to a single image-verse pairing, I've taken it a step further and paired them all systematically such that theres no major contradictions. There's definately conflicts with the consensus, but thats all weaksauce and pissing on both sides. Many of the widely accepted narrowed locations are no better than any random place a person might force to work. Backyarditis and pareidolia are rampant and no, suggesting that 4 casques are in the western states, central, and eastern doesnt mean all the casques are in Oregon -i forget which fukkah said that.

The real weakness in general is everyones limited focus on visual based matching. While an eventual assortment of visual matches will apply, still involves navigating the secondhand interpretations of JJP. Preiss selected all the locations each for a reason. He wrote the verses. Theres more to the verses given the first hand authorship and from that and the Litany of the Jewels, I've entrenched my perspective.

I've been waiting for xie's report before dropping a phat recompiling of my work. I might have to get down to business sooner...; the goonmill is overdue for more grist.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Off the wall theories are way more fun than digs anyways. Looking forward to new stuff.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Urban Smurf posted:

Many of the widely accepted narrowed locations are no better than any random place a person might force to work. Backyarditis and pareidolia are rampant and no, suggesting that 4 casques are in the western states, central, and eastern doesnt mean all the casques are in Oregon -i forget which fukkah said that.

The real weakness in general is everyones limited focus on visual based matching. While an eventual assortment of visual matches will apply, still involves navigating the secondhand interpretations of JJP. Preiss selected all the locations each for a reason. He wrote the verses. Theres more to the verses given the first hand authorship and from that and the Litany of the Jewels, I've entrenched my perspective.

I've been waiting for xie's report before dropping a phat recompiling of my work. I might have to get down to business sooner...; the goonmill is overdue for more grist.

The Oregon thing came from someone convinced that Milwaukee was actually Milwaukie.

Despite the Milwaukee city hall in the portrait.

The problem with the verses/portrait thing is that you need the portrait to give you a starting city, the verses to get you close, portrait to give you visual match confirmation, then verses again to narrow it down to roughly 5000 cubic feet of dirt to go through to find a small box.

That last part is the killer. Odds are good that we've had people digging in the correct location and not locating the box already.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i like this thread and am glad someone is digging soon. let us know when you find something, xie!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i like this thread and am glad someone is digging soon. let us know when you find something, xie!

:angel:

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Has anyone attempted to use The Secret to solve The Secret?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Has anyone attempted to use The Secret to solve The Secret?

That's basically what Urban Smurf is doing. It just has dubious results.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Lay off Urban Smurf, he's gotten the closest to digging one of these drat things up of anyone.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Pick posted:

Lay off Urban Smurf, he's gotten the closest to digging one of these drat things up of anyone.

Hey, I dug a hole once, too

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."

Pick posted:

No, I don't think so. Done some digging though.

It's doubltful any of the potential sites have enough remaining clues to case a solve. It takes just one really good confirmer to take things to the next level and invest some serious time figuring out how Byron Preiss chose his exact dig spot. Cleveland is a pitiful example to follow since it outright tells us which brick points to the casque. Chicago has more to teach us about how the verse sorts out the final details, but there's bound to be unique situations in the other locations that must be hinted at by some clever word choices in verse. Preiss seems to be good about pointing out places that are between two things, under something or facing in a particular direction.

I think Boston the most potential. Milwaukee after that.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

TheChaosPath posted:

Hey, I dug a hole once, too

you're digging it now

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

gnarlyhotep posted:

you're digging it now

:laffo:

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Is anyone actively working on the San Francisco cask?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Urban Smurf posted:

No, I don't think so. Done some digging though.

It's doubltful any of the potential sites have enough remaining clues to case a solve. It takes just one really good confirmer to take things to the next level and invest some serious time figuring out how Byron Preiss chose his exact dig spot. Cleveland is a pitiful example to follow since it outright tells us which brick points to the casque. Chicago has more to teach us about how the verse sorts out the final details, but there's bound to be unique situations in the other locations that must be hinted at by some clever word choices in verse. Preiss seems to be good about pointing out places that are between two things, under something or facing in a particular direction.

I think Boston the most potential. Milwaukee after that.

I still think we have the location of the Charleston cask to within feet (triangulated by the arms of the statues at White Point Gardens) but it's another one of the "deeply illegal to dig there" sites.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I still think we have the location of the Charleston cask to within feet (triangulated by the arms of the statues at White Point Gardens) but it's another one of the "deeply illegal to dig there" sites.

That's cool, I didn't know that. Could you point me towards a solve?

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

WPG has been a big favorite, thats for sure. If I could being myself to believe its there, I'd probably come up with something along the same lines as triangulating statues' arms and some kind of symmetry using the "time" on the necklace as a clue to focus on the southeast direction. The legal issues of digging WPG is a real problem. I would hope a different cask puzzle being solved would help sharpen how we suspect these puzzles are designed. Until a big break comes along, I'll keep on with my belief that its hidden near Lighthouse Island's water drums. Being the diamond, I expect it to be one of the most difficult puzzles.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
i really like the charleston solve, for the little to nothing that it's worth. it jives up very well with my personal belief on how some/most of these are solved, and i think the "on the eighth a scene where law defended..." solve is too good to ignore there.

commencement is this week goons, my life gets a lot clearer once we're past graduation. im done with grad classes for another month or so. im out of town all next weekend though.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

xie posted:

i really like the charleston solve, for the little to nothing that it's worth. it jives up very well with my personal belief on how some/most of these are solved, and i think the "on the eighth a scene where law defended..." solve is too good to ignore there.

commencement is this week goons, my life gets a lot clearer once we're past graduation. im done with grad classes for another month or so. im out of town all next weekend though.

fukken goons know Xie's schedule like we're shared on his GCal, drat...

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Cobalt60 posted:

fukken goons know Xie's schedule like we're shared on his GCal, drat...

and you're the one who posted about it

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

xie posted:

It was just a hike but obviously there were some handjobs

Hey you're loving stupid and should kill yourself.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Punch Card posted:

Hey you're loving stupid and should kill yourself.

why is that

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

gnarlyhotep posted:

why is that

It's not sincere I'm just playing like people do on the internet in the year of our lord 2015 instead of contributing anything of substance. Get with the times, you person who's an old man like I am and thought effort still matters.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Punch Card posted:

It's not sincere I'm just playing like people do on the internet in the year of our lord 2015 instead of contributing anything of substance. Get with the times, you person who's an old man like I am and thought effort still matters.

oh ho

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

It was actually sincere in that I long for the days (that may just be imagined at this point) when we all expected a little effort but weren't yet subject to the Icequeen and friends-era mess of having to walk on digital eggshells. Really not trying to be a dick, just trying to have fun.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Punch Card posted:

It was actually sincere in that I long for the days (that may just be imagined at this point) when we all expected a little effort but weren't yet subject to the Icequeen and friends-era mess of having to walk on digital eggshells. Really not trying to be a dick, just trying to have fun.

as long as you aren't being bitchy, I'm cool

:buddy:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

mods???

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
spoilers: there's a smaller safe inside the safe, it's full of gumballs

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

I too am not being bitchy, but rather would think it fun if people just put shovel to dirt in weird places across the US. Instead, I'd suggest that the trolls are the folks who rile up this thread and then literally go on homoerotic forest trollop tromps.

But in all honesty, this thread is about UrbanSmurf; not much else matters, and that's fine and fun

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Cobalt60 posted:

But in all honesty, this thread is about UrbanSmurf; not much else matters, and that's fine and fun
Sometimes I wonder if US is the true master meta of the thread

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Herv posted:

Sometimes I wonder if US is the true master meta of the thread

I've had my moments. Everyone at this party is drinking from the Mjiolnir keg, while I've brought my own grig of van der Waals...

Learning how to test our theories, overcome stubborn-heavy assumptions, and not cave to the limp-wristed criticisms is the real battle. I dont know where the OP has gone, but they need to step up and do the job they started. Conversely, a lot of people desrerve credit for many small contributions. I consider it a major win just to boldly question the established parameters of this hunt. Many of the views that are said to be based on the known locations of Chicago and Cleveland really shouldnt dictate how we proceed in solving other puzzles. Byron Preiss confirmed little or nothing of how the puzzles were designed. That he said he thought they'd be solved relatively quickly really says nothing. It quifies nothing if in the end its limited to luck or whomever contacts him with a gist of a solve relying on him to say "thats close enough, heres your reward."

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Don't get excited but if in theory I had approval to do some stuff in the NC drop from local and private athourities how many of you would be down for a goonp dig?

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

gnarlyhotep posted:

as long as you aren't being bitchy, I'm cool

:buddy:

To my mind you are missing a load of what those people are saying, and using your probation powers as a club to stifle any dissent from the preferred narrative in 'your' thread, rather than as a fine instrument to excise idiocy as you should be. I don't want to be all 'power corrupts' or 'stare into the abyss', but poo poo.

Not being bitchy.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Spacman posted:

To my mind you are missing a load of what those people are saying, and using your probation powers as a club to stifle any dissent from the preferred narrative in 'your' thread, rather than as a fine instrument to excise idiocy as you should be. I don't want to be all 'power corrupts' or 'stare into the abyss', but poo poo.

Not being bitchy.

:golfclap:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
:rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Houston: Verse 1, Image 8

I don't know for sure if this is the person to give credit for this find, but a couple months back user TexWriter at Q4T's forum posted his conclusion that the Atropos Key sculpture in Houston might as well be the reason for the quotation "what we take to be our strongest tower of delight" appearing in Verse 1. See this excerpt from Pierre: the Ambiguities, by Herman Melville:

quote:

But is life, indeed, a thing for all infidel levities, and we, its misdeemed beneficiaries, so utterly fools and infatuate, that what we take to be our strongest tower of delight, only stands at the caprice of the minutest event—the falling of a leaf, the hearing of a voice, or the receipt of one little bit of paper scratched over with a few small characters by a sharpened feather? Are we so entirely insecure, that that casket, wherein we have placed our holiest and most final joy, and which we have secured by a lock of infinite deftness; can that casket be picked and desecrated at the merest stranger's touch, when we think that we alone hold the only and chosen key?

Pierre! thou art foolish; rebuild—no, not that, for thy shrine still stands; it stands, Pierre, firmly stands; smellest thou not its yet undeparted, embowering bloom? Such a note as thine can be easily enough written, Pierre; impostors are not unknown in this curious world; or the brisk novelist, Pierre, will write thee fifty such notes, and so steal gushing tears from his reader's eyes; even as thy note so strangely made thine own manly eyes so arid; so glazed, and so arid, Pierre—foolish Pierre!

Oh! mock not the poniarded heart. The stabbed man knows the steel; prate not to him that it is only a tickling feather. Feels he not the interior gash? What does this blood on my vesture? and what does this pang in my soul?
And here again, not unreasonably, might invocations go up to those Three Weird Ones, that tend Life's loom. Again we might ask them, What threads were those, oh, ye Weird Ones, that ye wove in the years foregone; that now to Pierre, they so unerringly conduct electric presentiments, that his woe is woe, his father no more a saint, and Isabel a sister indeed?

Note the exact quotation, and then see how a few lines later it makes a direct reference to the three Fates. One of the three fates is called Atropos. This makes a good case for the Woodward sculpture as being a significant part of this puzzle. There's a diamond pattern cutout in the face portion of the metal sculpture which consists of four sides of equal lengths. Why shouldn't we consider this as a good link to the verse line "In the center of four alike"?