Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I just watched No Tears for the Dead last night. It's a Korean action-drama. The beginning 15 minutes were lean, economical, melodramatic storytelling in the vein of some of John Woo's best stuff. Then it just started getting flabbier and flabbier as the narrative progressed. Middling, but if you would like a pastiche of John Woo filtered through Korea it's probably worth a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I just watched No Tears for the Dead last night. It's a Korean action-drama. The beginning 15 minutes were lean, economical, melodramatic storytelling in the vein of some of John Woo's best stuff. Then it just started getting flabbier and flabbier as the narrative progressed. Middling, but if you would like a pastiche of John Woo filtered through Korea it's probably worth a look.

That reminds me: Kundo: Age of Rampant is a Korean thriller in the style of Quentin Tarantino. The first hour is pretty fun and extravagant in all the best ways, but the story itself is pretty rote and the movie loses steam halfway through. I'd still recommend it for the curious, but a month later my most vivid memories of the film are how cool all the old Korean hats were.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

hemale in pain posted:

The Canal was a very good horror movie but it really let it self down with the dumb ending. One day a horror movie might figure out that TWIST! endings where all the characters die aren't scary. It also killed the idea that the dude was just going crazy, and instead I'm left wondering if evil spirits convinced the kid to kill himself with like 10 seconds of whispering or if they possessed him like the father was

Yeah a few tweaks would have made it a much better movie. The worst thing about it is that for me I never knew what was supposed to be real, and by the end it just kind of turned out that the writing was bad and that was a side effect. I don't know if most of it was even intentional.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Here are some to watch. I got tired of deleting the length after each movie so you get to put up with that after a lot of the movies:

The Great Beauty (2:21:09)

Been wanting to see La Grande Bellezza for awhile. I guess I will finally do a Hulu trial membership.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jose Oquendo posted:

I took a look at Hulu and they do have a lot more complete series than I realized. Time to get Hulu I guess.
Does hulu have any way to keep track of what I've watched? I was watching The Shield on Crackle and after a couple days I couldn't even remember where my place was and the navigation was poor enough that I gave up.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Magnus Gallant posted:

Would an ad blocker work on hulus ads?

From what I understand, Hulu knows all the ad-avoiding tricks; adblockers and related software don't work on Hulu.

I really wish they'd have a no-ads option.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

I took a look at Hulu and they do have a lot more complete series than I realized. Time to get Hulu I guess.

You can easily get Hulu Plus for free if you use Bing as your default search engine. They give points, and you can get about 25 points a day if you do 50 searches, one month of hulu is 425 points, that's about 17 days of using it for search. Maybe it's not worth it, but it's an option.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

You can easily get Hulu Plus for free if you use Bing as your default search engine. They give points, and you can get about 25 points a day if you do 50 searches, one month of hulu is 425 points, that's about 17 days of using it for search. Maybe it's not worth it, but it's an option.

On the one hand, doing 50 searches a day sounds like work, and not fun work. An hour of actual work more than pays for Hulu, and it would take me a lot more than an hour to do 50 searches times 17 days.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I had no idea that MS was getting so desperate for people to use Bing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sucks that the best thing bing is for should be done incognito.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

precision posted:

On the one hand, doing 50 searches a day sounds like work, and not fun work. An hour of actual work more than pays for Hulu, and it would take me a lot more than an hour to do 50 searches times 17 days.

Protip: Unlike Google, Bing has no restrictions on rapidfire automated searches. :smuggo:

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

The ads on Hulu really aren't that bad, it's still less total time then watching it when it airs on TV.

And I've said this before, the Criterion Collection stuff on Hulu Plus is easily worth the $8 alone (and it's ad-free as are most of their movies).

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Wilhelm Scream posted:

The ads on Hulu really aren't that bad,

Except for the Doctor Who guy.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

neonnoodle posted:

Protip: Unlike Google, Bing has no restrictions on rapidfire automated searches. :smuggo:

You can just make a bookmark folder of fifty bing searches and load it up and get your daily points in one click.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:

Evil Mastermind posted:

From what I understand, Hulu knows all the ad-avoiding tricks; adblockers and related software don't work on Hulu.

I really wish they'd have a no-ads option.

ABP blocks the majority of the ads for me. Some still sneak through but it works pretty well. You still have to sit awkwardly in silence while you wait for the ad break to end though

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

dreadnought posted:

ABP blocks the majority of the ads for me. Some still sneak through but it works pretty well. You still have to sit awkwardly in silence while you wait for the ad break to end though

Yeah I don't really think that qualifies as working. I'd rather sit through a lovely ad than silence and a black screen.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Lycus posted:

Except for the Doctor Who guy.

He's a Doctor Who maniac though! He's seen every episode at least once. Geek chic as HELL.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They should do one of those Hulu fan ads of a guy who was browsing the criteron collection for smut.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Donnie Brasco is a pretty good movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Asnorban posted:

He's a Doctor Who maniac though! He's seen every episode at least once. Geek chic as HELL.

To be fair, if he really means every episode, that would actually be an accomplishment.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

drunken officeparty posted:

Pacino was excellent but I didn't think much of Depp. He always looked vaguely awkward like he was constantly in fear of being uncovered at any moment - I thought it was hard to believe the others would actually trust someone that always has his guard up like that.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

drunken officeparty posted:

There's an episode of Inside the American Mob with Joey Pistone about that whole thing and how it basically killed the ability of the mob to keep its members from pleading and talking to cops/prosecutors.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Tried to watch Revanche on Hulu but...there are no loving subtitles.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Could somebody explain the whole "Criterion Collection" thing to me? There's the movie, and then there's the Criterion Collection version of the movie? Have they gone back and improved the quality of the print? Are they picking only the most amazing films?

edit: google does what? I am an idiot.
http://www.criterion.com/about_us

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

coyo7e posted:

Does hulu have any way to keep track of what I've watched? I was watching The Shield on Crackle and after a couple days I couldn't even remember where my place was and the navigation was poor enough that I gave up.
Your account has a "history" tab that shows you everything you've watched. I cleared out my history recently but it had poo poo from like, 6 years ago that I didn't remember watching (SNL skits).

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

magnificent7 posted:

Could somebody explain the whole "Criterion Collection" thing to me? There's the movie, and then there's the Criterion Collection version of the movie? Have they gone back and improved the quality of the print? Are they picking only the most amazing films?

They pick only the most amazing movies like The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Smiley Face is on Hulu Plus. Probably my favorite stoner comedy.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

magnificent7 posted:

If it's on the Hulu Criterion Channel it's probably a more recent digital transfer (cleaner/sharper) than whatever non-Criterion-listed version you're talking about. They're an actual distribution company linked with Janus Films and Rialto, and they do a lot of in-house restorations/scanning/transferring, usually with the assistance of people who worked on the films.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 2, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Also, Hulu doesn't have the whole Criterion Collection. They don't have Naked Lunch, for one thing.

Criterion releases are usually worth picking up for the extras they have though.

edit: If you can't get enough Juggalo documentaries, and who can, Whoop Dreams is on Hulu now. FAM-UH-LEE! Ninja.

precision fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 2, 2015

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Wes Craven's New Nightmare is on Netflix streaming now! :woop:

I also noticed The Exorcist, Leon: The Professional, and Big Trouble in Little China. Good selection of flicks.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Stripped also just got added, which is something I've wanted to see for a while. It's a documentary on comic strips and where the medium has been going as newspapers die. Among other things, it's remarkable for having an interview with the infamously media-shy Bill Watterson, who also drew the cover art.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Wes Craven's New Nightmare is on Netflix streaming now! :woop:

I also noticed The Exorcist, Leon: The Professional, and Big Trouble in Little China. Good selection of flicks.

Is Leon: The Professional the one with the uncut cringe parts?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
If you're a big fan of music, or a musician, and especially if you like jazz, I highly recommend the documentary Keep On Keepin' On.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

precision posted:

Also, Hulu doesn't have the whole Criterion Collection. They don't have Naked Lunch, for one thing.

Criterion releases are usually worth picking up for the extras they have though.

edit: If you can't get enough Juggalo documentaries, and who can, Whoop Dreams is on Hulu now. FAM-UH-LEE! Ninja.

Yeah, not all the Criterion films are there, but on the flipside, there are a bunch of films that you can't get on disc. Like, deep cuts from some random avant-garde filmmaker or second-tier Eastern European guy that like only five film scholars have actually watched. It's pretty cool.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Whoop Dreams is an amazing name.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Doctor Butts posted:

Is Leon: The Professional the one with the uncut cringe parts?
Happy birthday, Mister President!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

Happy birthday, Mister President!

I just looked that up and :stare:

Maybe it's best I don't rewatch that movie anytime soon.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

axleblaze posted:

I just looked that up and :stare:

Maybe it's best I don't rewatch that movie anytime soon.

Honestly the "Like a Virgin" part was more unnerving, but also hilarious.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Finally got around to watching LA Confidential, which was pretty great, which comes as no surprise I gather. Something that I started thinking about unrelated to the movie itself though is I find myself experiencing stuff that inspired other stuff in the wrong order, because I played LA Noire before seeing this and LA Confidential is all over that fucken thing. I also played Tomb Raider before seeing The Descent and I saw The Descent before I saw Apocalypse Now. I guess that's normal though considering I'm only 27. I was like 9 years old when LA Confidential came out and it's just one of those things I never got around to watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

cat doter posted:

Finally got around to watching LA Confidential, which was pretty great, which comes as no surprise I gather. Something that I started thinking about unrelated to the movie itself though is I find myself experiencing stuff that inspired other stuff in the wrong order, because I played LA Noire before seeing this and LA Confidential is all over that fucken thing. I also played Tomb Raider before seeing The Descent and I saw The Descent before I saw Apocalypse Now. I guess that's normal though considering I'm only 27. I was like 9 years old when LA Confidential came out and it's just one of those things I never got around to watching.

That movie has some of the best casting I've ever seen. Every actor is phenomenal.