Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
https://twitter.com/forg1vengre/status/594591669644832768

Forgiven is going nuts today rofl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Is he just melting down

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I just finished watching LCK Finals.

Disinterested posted:

I know there are people ITT who think Easyhoon is a godlike mid so this is my quick reminder that there is no God but Faker.

It's me. I'm the Easyhoon fan and I hope this series at least gets people off his back about being a bench bitch or something.

Libertine posted:

Easyhoon seems to be much better than Faker on siege type champions, which seems to be more what SKT needs in the lineups they are running. From their first 5 games it's very clear that they prioritize Xerath very highly (more highly than any other team it seems like, they've taken it in 60% of their matches) and Easyhoon appears to be much more comfortable on that champion than Faker. I think it's an extension on his old Ziggs mastery, he's just a really excellent player of long-range mages.

Faker is much better on assassins and big play type champions because his rapid decision-making is just superior to almost any other player in the world. He had a great game on Leblanc so far this season and really unimpressive games on Xerath and Ahri.

Additionally, when Faker is in the lineup, enemy teams seem to be camping mid to shut him down but Faker isn't getting the same level of jungle support he used to when he and Bengi were basically attached at the hip. When Easyhoon is in the lineup he gets a lot more reign from the enemy team and they usually pay for it. I think they are both excellent players who have completely different styles which compliments different things SKT is trying to run. It also makes sense that Easyhoon is more comfortable early in the season, because this team that is now SKT is basically SKT T1S with Bengi in the jungle and sometimes Faker. The rest of team K is all gone.

This was my first post in the thread from four months ago. Holds up well in retrospect.

SKT plays two entirely different styles from a strategic standpoint when Easyhoon and Faker sub back and forth. They usually start with Easyhoon because the gameplan around his play is more reliable. If a team cannot beat Easyhoon then there's no reason to sub him out, because he can consistently never lose mid lane, and he plays flexible utility/CC oriented champions which make all of the rest of SKT's players free to do their stuff and both Bang and Marin can carry games very hard.

When they play Bo# series, if a team can beat Easyhoon, then they have to sub in Faker and play a much more recklessly aggressive kill/pick style.

GE basically never got through SKT's Stage 1 strategy so they never had to modify it. They almost did at the very end of Game 3 but then SKT pulled it back from the brink. If GE had won game 3 you would have seen Faker in Game 4 I think and SKT adapting an entirely differnet game plan.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

CandyPanda is a surprisingly responsible twitter user.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Hypocrisy posted:

CandyPanda is a surprisingly responsible twitter user.

a personality as entertaining as his playstyle

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I actually liked SKT T1 S so I'm happy they won a title :colbert:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I have actually no idea what the gently caress they are saying.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Well that escalated deterioated quickly

Also I can't believe SKT brought their midlane bench to MSI when they have to play against the best midlaner in NA and the world

http://imgur.com/xiqJhih/

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I'm looking through the matches. In Game 2 Bang ran 9x scaling Armor and MR on Corki. Pretty insane.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

I think you're overrating the recklessness of Faker's playstyle. Faker is an extremely calculating player.

Savage Cracker posted:

Also I can't believe SKT brought their midlane bench to MSI when they have to play against the best midlaner in NA and the world

Easyhoon offers more because he affects the other team's p/b so much.

Libertine posted:

I'm looking through the matches. In Game 2 Bang ran 9x scaling Armor and MR on Corki. Pretty insane.

Did they 2v1? It's not exactly bad if you're 100% certain of 2v1ing.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Disinterested posted:

Did they 2v1? It's not exactly bad if you're 100% certain of 2v1ing.

No, straight 2v2 Corki/Alistar vs. Sivir/Thresh

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Libertine posted:

No, straight 2v2 Corki/Alistar vs. Sivir/Thresh

That's quite A Thing.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Sk-T coaching strats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mmm7nckyR4 .

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Two things:

Daily Dot says Candypanda will be back on SK in Summer, while Forg1ven is released.

The other is not League related specifically... but it looks like Dota2 is going to try to move towards something close to the LCS (Three Valve Run tournaments over the course of the year have been announced). The reason I bring this up is because I gotta ask the question of if Valve creating a version of the LCS for their game would effect the League Competitive scene. I'm guessing it would, but it could be in a more beneficial way, with the two companies (Valve and Riot) working together to put on larger scale MOBA tournaments for the "Finals" and sharing the cost of the venue for things like MSI. Riot supposedly loses money on the LCS, but if they began to merge it with Valve (and even Blizzard) to be something that's bigger to support all three games, I suspect that they'd each gain customers from the cross pollination (if you will)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

RIOT will never help Valve run tournaments. Riot makes a billion dollars on league, they can let LCS be a loss leader.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I don't play or like DOTA 2 but I do watch TI every year because it's just objectively incredible to watch. The tournament structure, prize structure, matches and all are just wild. I think it's an overall better event than League worlds and if League adopted the entire structure of it wholesale I would love that.

That said, Valve really dropped the loving ball big time by not have seasons and regular tournaments throughout the year and I think Riot's loss leading LCS is a huge reason for the game dwarfing DOTA 2 in popularity.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Calax posted:

Two things:

Daily Dot says Candypanda will be back on SK in Summer, while Forg1ven is released.

The other is not League related specifically... but it looks like Dota2 is going to try to move towards something close to the LCS (Three Valve Run tournaments over the course of the year have been announced). The reason I bring this up is because I gotta ask the question of if Valve creating a version of the LCS for their game would effect the League Competitive scene. I'm guessing it would, but it could be in a more beneficial way, with the two companies (Valve and Riot) working together to put on larger scale MOBA tournaments for the "Finals" and sharing the cost of the venue for things like MSI. Riot supposedly loses money on the LCS, but if they began to merge it with Valve (and even Blizzard) to be something that's bigger to support all three games, I suspect that they'd each gain customers from the cross pollination (if you will)

I'd say it's closer to how golf or tennis have quarterly majors rather than a league system. Doesn't Valve already use that system for CS:GO tournaments? Seems to work wonderfully for them.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yeah the Dota 2 scene right now is currently run much like mid-2000's UFC/MMA with all of the hilarious issues that entails (bracket fixing, shady sponsorship deals, professional teams barnstorming).

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Jerkface posted:

RIOT will never help Valve run tournaments. Riot makes a billion dollars on league, they can let LCS be a loss leader.

Supposedly they loose a chunk of money on the LCS itself, but view it as PR for the game.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I was thinking about Easyhoon. I wonder if his champ pool and ultra defensive style comes from having to lane against Faker in intrasquad scrim when SKT had two teams. Kuro is basically a slightly more aggressive Easyhoon, so Easyhoon turned on the jets and was like gently caress this I learned from the best.

Calax posted:

Supposedly they loose a chunk of money on the LCS itself, but view it as PR for the game.

Yea bud thats the definition of a loss leader

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
The dota 2 tourney thing is that instead of just one major valve ran tournament (the international) there will instead be four. One of these is TI and they will be "helping out with" (probably taking over) three other major already existing tournaments, probably one for each region. We don't know exact details yet afaik but the reasoning behind it is it will fix over saturation in the tourney scene and ensure a general quality to the tourneys, while also making sure the only major tournament that exists is no longer just ti.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
DOTA 2 should have had its own LCS-like at least a year ago - I think it's past the point where it has any hope of catching up in popularity.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Sexpansion posted:

DOTA 2 should have had its own LCS-like at least a year ago - I think it's past the point where it has any hope of catching up in popularity.

nah. if they introduce it well i'd expect lcs crushing numbers every time these tournaments come up. the main issue this is meant to solve is really just the over saturation of tournaments and the fact that most pros generally agree that having one tournament with a $10mil prize pool and the rest paying pennies in comparison is kinda dumb

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

Libertine posted:

I don't play or like DOTA 2 but I do watch TI every year because it's just objectively incredible to watch. The tournament structure, prize structure, matches and all are just wild. I think it's an overall better event than League worlds and if League adopted the entire structure of it wholesale I would love that.

That said, Valve really dropped the loving ball big time by not have seasons and regular tournaments throughout the year and I think Riot's loss leading LCS is a huge reason for the game dwarfing DOTA 2 in popularity.

Well, My feeling is that no matter how many events and tournaments they have I still won't watch it because the game is a muddy brown mess and the champs are tiny and there's no way to tell whats going on at any point. Pro league teamfights are hard enough to follow when its 10 guys each a different distinct bright neon all shooting road flares for ults, it's literally impossible to follow 10 tiny brown men clunking little rocks at each other.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
why do all the dota lads have boringass names like Fire Mage and Angry Man anyway

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Well, My feeling is that no matter how many events and tournaments they have I still won't watch it because the game is a muddy brown mess and the champs are tiny and there's no way to tell whats going on at any point. Pro league teamfights are hard enough to follow when its 10 guys each a different distinct bright neon all shooting road flares for ults, it's literally impossible to follow 10 tiny brown men clunking little rocks at each other.

You can tell when the team fights are happening because all the little brown men clunk together in a big set of fireworks and lasers and cogs and water and stuff and then the announcers just yell "BKB!!!!" until one team gets aced.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Lovechop posted:

why do all the dota lads have boringass names like Fire Mage and Angry Man anyway

I think that actually helps somewhat for people who don't play the game to watch. Even though you can't necessarily tell how they play from the names, you at least get a sense of who the heroes are by "Alchemist" or "Tinker" or "Phantom Assassin" and such. Whereas when I started playing League my main reaction was how the gently caress am I going to remember what "Caitlyn" and "Annie" do

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Did you know: in non pro league ADCs are actually extremely strong because every game ever played will go 50+ minutes because the average player's reaction to winning is to think "wow now that I'm ahead I can farm in more safety" and not "now that we're winning we should finish winning (by winning)"

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

Redmark posted:

I think that actually helps somewhat for people who don't play the game to watch. Even though you can't necessarily tell how they play from the names, you at least get a sense of who the heroes are by "Alchemist" or "Tinker" or "Phantom Assassin" and such. Whereas when I started playing League my main reaction was how the gently caress am I going to remember what "Caitlyn" and "Annie" do

Uhhh do you mean The Sheriff of Piltover and The Dark Child?

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

The Sion rework was excellent because not only did they change him from a weird mage to a heavy engage tank but they also changed his official title from "The Undead Champion" to "The Undead Juggernaut" leading to greater clarity. They also made it so when you hit his ult it goes BOIIIING.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Did you know: in non pro league ADCs are actually extremely strong because every game ever played will go 50+ minutes because the average player's reaction to winning is to think "wow now that I'm ahead I can farm in more safety" and not "now that we're winning we should finish winning (by winning)"

Counterpoint: Riven is very popular in non pro league.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The average Riven player blows dick and feeds in lane and the game ends quickly because of it.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Redmark posted:

how the gently caress am I going to remember what "Caitlyn" and "Annie" do

Turn down your invitation to prom, nerd

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
A lot of people watch The Invitational because even people who don't play DOTA think it is "the superbowl of eSports" but I don't think that more minor tournaments will attract that many viewers.

But hey what do I know.

Also I really like (playing) DOTA 2 but I think it's a horrible mess to watch at the competitive level.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i dont normally read much into the 'x is duoing with y so their team must be signing them' thing, but eddy posted this on twitter and gambit are looking for an adc atm:

https://twitter.com/EdwardCarryLoL/status/594905194019848192

while i dont respect steeelback's style much i think he could work in GMB just by not feeding while diamond camps top. pinoy sucked and did a lot of retard poo poo so, could be decent.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Would be more of a return to Genja style I think. Pinoy and Edward are an extremely aggressive bot lane and for better or worse basically feast or famine every single game.

Back when Gambit rolled with Genja, Edward was always super aggro and Genja was always chilling like a villain stacking his tear up.

I would normally say you want your bot lane to be on the same page as far as strategy goes, but maybe one can temper the other? I don't know. I'm not sure what works better for Gambit, or if they even care what works better because it sounds like they all have just massive egos.

I suppose if Steelback is going to be released by Fnatic he should look to get on any other LCS team he can, but Gambit has been a clusterfuck of roster moves for awhile and I have no idea how to even rate Edward because he plays so inconsistent as a result of their duo's style.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
pinoy was great, if only for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT5KpwIuWJo

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

It's a shame he didn't play like that more often.

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

I looked up Varus on probuilds and one of the first results is Genja playing it jungle lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

I looked up Varus on probuilds and one of the first results is Genja playing it jungle lmao

lol and he STILL went loving frozen mallet 3rd item. genja is the god.

• Locked thread