Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And to think I was complaining about the strut top bearings only lasting for 15 years on my Peugeot :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Preoptopus posted:

All I see is soon to be mechanical failures.

Future oil leak failure, note they are still using jesus clips.

What's wrong with those clips? They can be a pain to get back into place sometimes but GM/Ford/probably a bunch of other manufacturers have been using them for 20+ years. I've sold replacements but no more often than I've sold replacement hoses or gaskets - haven't had one leak in my stable yet.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

8ender posted:

Those are going to rust to bits in Canada. They look like the terrible ones Subaru used that turned to dust within 5 years.

Those sure are some nice road grime, snow, slush, and salt collecting trays they've added. At least they made the trays from plastic so they'll be guaranteed to function until the control arms are properly reduced to dust instead of falling off and giving the arms a chance of surviving.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

Slack3r posted:

Mechanical Failure Delivery System!

Link to this terrible idea.. Yep.. It's real.

http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/mcy/4939902005.html

The real failure here is photobucket. Jesus what a poo poo site.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

Slack3r posted:

Mechanical Failure Delivery System!

Link to this terrible idea.. Yep.. It's real.

http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/mcy/4939902005.html

Of course it would be from my loving town, people here are so goddamn stupid.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

FuzzKill posted:

What's wrong with those clips? They can be a pain to get back into place sometimes but GM/Ford/probably a bunch of other manufacturers have been using them for 20+ years. I've sold replacements but no more often than I've sold replacement hoses or gaskets - haven't had one leak in my stable yet.

I know its like a simple hose and a clamp is a retarded and cheaper idea. No but for real, if i was wrenching only on my own poo poo i wouldn't complain, but Ive had more than my share blow out on me cause they didnt seed all the way. Or the opposite get corroded so bad in there that they only come out with a piece of the radiator or something. Either way your bathing in ATF. You can do a trans flush on a toyota without even taking it off the ground and its way less mess.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 2, 2015

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Preoptopus posted:

Car And Driver did a piece on the 2016 CTSV
http://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook/15-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-640-hp-200-mph-2016-cadillac-cts-v#1
All I see is soon to be mechanical failures.

Future oil leak failure, note they are still using jesus clips.

I am having a bastard of a time seeing where the jesus clips/circlips are in these photos. Mind pointing them out?

E: never mind, guess it's on that oil fitting.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 2, 2015

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Look all Im saying is for a car thats supposed to compete with a M5 and a S60(whatever)amg, they couldve spent a little more effort is all I'm saying.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Preoptopus posted:

Look all Im saying is for a car thats supposed to compete with a M5 and a S60(whatever)amg, they couldve spent a little more effort is all I'm saying.

Yeah but those cars aren't expected to survive past the lease period either. It's only a problem for cheapmos like me who will crash their $1750 22 year old Cadillac into a robot sex clinic.

It's GM. Statistically you're lucky if they're not trying to sell you a rebadged Cavalierabaltuze.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Steel isn't necessarily worse than aluminum for a given strength/weight, and the CTS is the lightest car in its class. Given all the other use of aluminum in the car I doubt that they haven't optimized these things down the last gram. You guys are really just looking for something to be upset about just because it's GM.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
And completely without cause or reason, to boot!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
But does it zig?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
That's the beauty of it, it doesn't do anything!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

Steel isn't necessarily worse than aluminum for a given strength/weight, and the CTS is the lightest car in its class. Given all the other use of aluminum in the car I doubt that they haven't optimized these things down the last gram. You guys are really just looking for something to be upset about just because it's GM.

"No, sir I don't think you understand just how much we're optomizing oil leak technology and planned obsolescence"

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

Slavvy posted:

I work on Korean cars; they're insultingly better than VAG mechanically.

I did the oil and filter on my hyundai tiburon recently. Up on the lift, spin off filter with hand, spin new filter on with calibrated elbow click, down on the lift, add oil. run, stop, check level after rundown.
15 minutes.

Nearly everything is fantasticly spaced out and easy to get to, and pretty well its all either 10, 12 or 14mm. 17mm for the oil drain in the sump.

The hardest thing to access is the alternator though, but that seems to be more of a curse of FWD then anything else.

Hell even the starter motor is literally in front of your face when you peer under the front of the car.

The only thing that bugs me is that to do the rear plugs (v6) you have to take the inlet manifold off. But its a steel gasket, so you dont have to worry about tearing anything.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

That's the beauty of it, it doesn't do anything!

An object that has no purpose other than to be itself, is considered art. Its art man.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

"No, sir I don't think you understand just how much we're optomizing oil leak technology and planned obsolescence"

Wasn't it Saturn that pioneered the sintered aluminum blocks that leak through the block walls technology?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Wasn't it Saturn that pioneered the sintered aluminum blocks that leak through the block walls technology?

Yea but they were just trying to be more like opal or something.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

No, Buick beat everyone to the punch in the early '60s with the 215 on weeping block technology.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IPCRESS posted:

No, Buick beat everyone to the punch in the early '60s with the 215 on weeping block technology.

Which they were smart enough to stop making and sell off to Rover. Who continued to make it until 2004.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I thought Porsche perfected porous block technology

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

8ender posted:

I thought Porsche perfected porous block technology

Not when they were magnesium :hellyeah:

Man, I just thought about how hard it must be to melt magnesium without some serious brown trouser moments.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Not when they were magnesium :hellyeah:

Man, I just thought about how hard it must be to melt magnesium without some serious brown trouser moments.

Pretty easy, you just do it under an inert or reducing atmosphere. Nitrogen (if magnesium doesn't like forming nitrides at melt temp), overfueled furnace, helium, argon, etc. Argon would be a good candidate since it is a noble gas but fairly cheap as it makes up 1% of the atmosphere.

Casting it on the other hand...

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Preoptopus posted:

Being a tech makes me hate cars.

1500quidporsche posted:

My scirocco's control arms are more solid looking then those ones, and Mk1 control arms are practically wear items.

Good to know GM is really trying to get their market position back from VW.

GM knows more than you guys give them credit. Look at these torque rods, flimsy looking right?

They are being developed for class 8 trucks.

The section modulus perpendicular to the loads is what counts. With torque rods, the loads are always along the length of the rod. They are intentionally making the rods weak in torsion. This reduces the torsional loads on the bushings, which increases their life, and allows for different total torsional rates.

http://www.truckinginfo.com/channel/products/product/detail/2014/09/new-torsion-rod-design-is-30-percent-lighter.aspx

Throatwarbler posted:

Agreed.

Giblet Plus! fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 3, 2015

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I love it that they are totally owning up to enhancing engine noise electronically in the cabin now.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Giblet Plus! posted:

GM knows more than you guys give them credit. Look at these torque rods, flimsy looking right?

They are being developed for class 8 trucks.

The section modulus perpendicular to the loads is what counts. With torque rods, the loads are always along the length of the rod. They are intentionally making the rods weak in torsion. This reduces the torsional loads on the bushings, which increases their life, and allows for different total torsional rates.

http://www.truckinginfo.com/channel/products/product/detail/2014/09/new-torsion-rod-design-is-30-percent-lighter.aspx

Agreed.

That's fine, in fact it is great.

I just expect to watch northern winter roads eat those alive. For example that plastic debris shield is awesome and will protect the arm from sandblasting and gravel impingement, but it is on the bottom so it will also serve as an excellent brine slush tray once the tiny drainage holes and open ends are plugged with dirt and frozen slush. At that point, it is only a matter of time till the salt finds the one tiny scratch in the paint from a careless dealer transport driver tiedown and starts eating its way into the metal under the coating. Even if no tow truck driver or transport ever scratches it... a single piece of gravel getting stuck between the shield and the arm will result in a paint breach in a few months after vibration does its work.

A few years later it will look like someone shot an artillery round through the arm and then dipped the ends in acid. Some poor bastard will end up in this thread when their wheel goes walkabout abruptly because the inspection tech missed the failure since it was hidden by the plastic shield while it was on the rack.

You gotta make everything drain down easier than it fills up to survive the north.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

Which they were smart enough to stop making and sell off to Rover. Who continued to make it until 2004.
Oh no no, Rover's first step was to try and make it worse by deleting one of the four rows of head bolts on each head, not doing anything about this for about 20 years when they reduced it to two rows per head. In fairness, they did also put cross-bolted mains in while they were at it.

God, I hate the fact that, as the only common V8 over here, those things have such a big following. Especially as people will ask me if I'm going to put one in the Landie. A V8? Yes, that would be cool. A Rover V8? Not a loving chance. I'd have one in a Stage 1 for originality, but that's it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kastein posted:

I just expect to watch northern winter roads eat those alive. For example that plastic debris shield is awesome and will protect the arm from sandblasting and gravel impingement, but it is on the bottom so it will also serve as an excellent brine slush tray once the tiny drainage holes and open ends are plugged with dirt and frozen slush. At that point, it is only a matter of time till the salt finds the one tiny scratch in the paint from a careless dealer transport driver tiedown and starts eating its way into the metal under the coating. Even if no tow truck driver or transport ever scratches it... a single piece of gravel getting stuck between the shield and the arm will result in a paint breach in a few months after vibration does its work.

A few years later it will look like someone shot an artillery round through the arm and then dipped the ends in acid. Some poor bastard will end up in this thread when their wheel goes walkabout abruptly because the inspection tech missed the failure since it was hidden by the plastic shield while it was on the rack.

You gotta make everything drain down easier than it fills up to survive the north.

I really don't think this is a huge concern to the buyers of new $85k cars.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Throatwarbler posted:

I really don't think this is a huge concern to the buyers of new $85k cars.

Yea but then they sell it in 8 years at less than half its value to a kid named Skyler who finances the poo poo out of it. And Skyler really wants to impress his buddies by doing donughts in every snowstorm and then he realizes it pulls on the high way and brings it in for an alignment, where I tell him that his rear end is made of rust and will most likely need to be completely rebuilt.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Preoptopus posted:

Yea but then they sell it in 8 years at less than half its value to a kid named Skyler who finances the poo poo out of it. And Skyler really wants to impress his buddies by doing donughts in every snowstorm and then he realizes it pulls on the high way and brings it in for an alignment, where I tell him that his rear end is made of rust and will most likely need to be completely rebuilt.
Unless it causes a significant affect on residual values, though, the person buying it new still won't care.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Preoptopus posted:

Yeah, but so what? Same story goes for bmw front control arms and people replace them as required.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

kastein posted:

Preoptopus posted:

It's a steel stamping. I'm sure GM would be happy to sell you new ones.

The parts are likely e-coated, which means there is a ~1 mil thick layer of paint applied to them.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Most of the alloy arms on the fancy 'European' vehicles have non-serviceable ball joints anyway - so the entire arm has to be replaced when the ball joint goes bad. Which is probably approximately the same time frame for major rust to build up on a steel arm (if you live up North)

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

FuzzKill posted:

Most of the alloy arms on the fancy 'European' vehicles have non-serviceable ball joints anyway - so the entire arm has to be replaced when the ball joint goes bad. Which is probably approximately the same time frame for major rust to build up on a steel arm (if you live up North)

Its qualitylongevity is probably similar to other cars in the price zone. However, without all of the information we have in this thread, in the article you would still see the puny arms, lovely welds, and rust trappers. It's not a great advertisement, even if I kind of like the car's styling

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Does every part on a car need to last the lifetime of the vehicle? At what point is it acceptable to expect that things will need occasional replacement?

This seems like a lot of teeth gnashing over something pretty minor.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah but domestic cars something something.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's one more thing to go horribly wrong to save $100 a car on an "$85,000" car. You'd have to do something monumentally stupid to damage an aluminum control arm. for stamped steel all it would take is for some half baked high school dropout to put his greasy hands all over it before paint/powdercoat.

Look how many companies have had huge recall campaigns for stamped steel control arms rusting out in the north, and look at GM's reputation is as far as recalls go.

GM is always shat on for cheaping out in new and interesting ways, this is an example of them doing so.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

`Nemesis posted:

Does every part on a car need to last the lifetime of the vehicle? At what point is it acceptable to expect that things will need occasional replacement?

I'd say it's reasonable to expect a critical driveline component to last the life of the vehicle, especially when we're talking about a car that costs more than most people make in a year.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

`Nemesis posted:

Does every part on a car need to last the lifetime of the vehicle?

No, but these parts on a really expensive car ought to at least look as durable as the parts that have the same function on the cheapest cars (there's perfectly normal no-nonsense examples on a Versa or Yaris for example) as opposed to looking like the control arm version of a laundry basket from Five Below that your socks can escape out the bottom of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

That was the much maligned rover/kia sedona V6 of hell, the one that leaked oil so bad that some engines had to be replaced before actually being rolled out onto the yard as NEW STOCK.

rainwulf fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 4, 2015