Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I'm scared of the avatar fairy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

PupsOfWar posted:

what's this cartoon supposed to represent re: somali famine
It's really just a cartoon about the famine in Somalia that killed ~260,000 people, half of them being children under 5 years old: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2013/05/201352113337568731.html

quote:

Almost 260,000 people, half of them young children, died of hunger during the last famine in Somalia, according to a UN report that admits the world body should have done more to prevent the tragedy. The toll is much higher than was feared at the time of the 2010-2012 food crisis in the troubled Horn of Africa country and also exceeds the 220,000 who starved to death in a 1992 famine, according to the findings.

"The report confirms we should have done more before the famine was declared," said Philippe Lazzarini, UN Humanitarian Coordinator for Somalia. "Warnings that began as far back as the drought in 2010 did not trigger sufficient early action," he said in a statement.

Half of those who died were children under five, according to the joint report by the UN's Food and Agriculture Organization and the US-funded Famine Early Warning Systems Network. "Famine and severe food insecurity in Somalia claimed the lives of about 258,000 people between October 2010 and April 2012, including 133,000 children under five," said the report, the first scientific estimate of how many people died.
It's depressing as poo poo, especially since it was partially preventable.:smith:

Latuff doesn't just do I/P stuff, he does cartoons about tons of events affecting people worldwide. Sometimes you just need to remind people that horrible stuff is happening, otherwise it just gets swept under the rug.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 3, 2015

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

ZenVulgarity posted:

nah cm punk fans

those are just literal neonazis

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

why would you force fight yoda

thats like trying to outswim a shark with lead-weights strapped to you

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

nutranurse posted:

those are just literal neonazis

you're gonna attract that guy who posts about how nazis appropriated skinhead culture

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

ZenVulgarity posted:

don't be scared, embrace it

42 BCE: War is happening in the Roman Empire.

Marcus Brutus begins to plunder the cities of Asia Minor, in order to obtain money and soldiers. The inhabitants of Lycia refused to submit to Rome, and Brutus besieged Xanthus. After destroying their suburbs, the Xanthians withdrew into the heavily fortified city. The Roman legionaries (2,000 men) forced the gate and fight their way into the forum. The citizens made an heroic stand by the temple of Sarpedon, as night falls the Roman army conquers the city. The Xanthians preferred to perish in the flames rather than to yield.

42 CE: War is still happening in the Roman Empire.

Romans take control of Ceuta, a port city on the North African side of the Strait of Gibraltar. The territories of the current Algeria and Morocco become a Roman province. The Dalmatian legate, Furius Camillus Scribonianus, revolts but his troops defect and his rebellion quickly withers.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

you can't do a history post if you don't get the snipe :mad:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

nutranurse posted:

why would you force fight yoda

thats like trying to outswim a shark with lead-weights strapped to you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

this is star wars, mainstream enough that pointing out poo poo from the movies isnt that nerdy

nerding it up would be me pointing out how dumb it is to devote yourself to form 2

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

i cant deal with race talk in dnd threads(not this one) anymore its just dumb garbage from dumb idiots

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
oh right, Dartmouth Boy also said that asians, latinos and whites were all suffering under the yoke of affirmative action to the benefit of the black man lmao

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Badger of Basra posted:

you can't do a history post if you don't get the snipe :mad:
well then more people who end up getting the top of the page need to start posting history.:colbert:

seriously, I like learning about random events I've usually never heard of before, especially stuff that's pre-1000 CE.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

fade5 posted:

don't be scared, embrace it

42 BCE: War is happening in the Roman Empire.

Marcus Brutus begins to plunder the cities of Asia Minor, in order to obtain money and soldiers. The inhabitants of Lycia refused to submit to Rome, and Brutus besieged Xanthus. After destroying their suburbs, the Xanthians withdrew into the heavily fortified city. The Roman legionaries (2,000 men) forced the gate and fight their way into the forum. The citizens made an heroic stand by the temple of Sarpedon, as night falls the Roman army conquers the city. The Xanthians preferred to perish in the flames rather than to yield.

42 CE: War is still happening in the Roman Empire.

Romans take control of Ceuta, a port city on the North African side of the Strait of Gibraltar. The territories of the current Algeria and Morocco become a Roman province. The Dalmatian legate, Furius Camillus Scribonianus, revolts but his troops defect and his rebellion quickly withers.

If you would have done "war is happening in the Roman Empire" and people just ran with it I would have laughed real hard

Good actual posts though

If there's a date close to the CE line, do we typically do both BCE and CE?

And it's hard to edit history snipes on my phone. :(

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

oh right, Dartmouth Boy also said that asians, latinos and whites were all suffering under the yoke of affirmative action to the benefit of the black man lmao

i found out that daniel hung used to be president of the college republicans

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

death to history snipes

death to history itself

time is a closed loop

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

i found out that daniel hung used to be president of the college republicans

loving college republicans

was he there when they did that affirmative action bake sale thing

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

fade5 posted:

It's really just a cartoon about the famine in Somalia that killed ~260,000 people, half of them being children under 5 years old: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2013/05/201352113337568731.html

It's depressing as poo poo, especially since it was partially preventable.:smith:

Latuff doesn't just do I/P stuff, he does cartoons about tons of events affecting people worldwide. Sometimes you just need to remind people that horrible stuff is happening, otherwise it just gets swept under the rug.

Of course, D&D oft decries the alternative as worse. Which is better, the freedom of anarchy without necessary social norms to foster development, or the freedom from starvation which political order empowered against existing social norms and customs provides?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

ZenVulgarity posted:

If you would have done "war is happening in the Roman Empire" and people just ran with it I would have laughed real hard

Good actual posts though

If there's a date close to the CE line, do we typically do both BCE and CE?

And it's hard to edit history snipes on my phone. :(
I was tempted to throw in a battle from WW2 about a 1942 battle in Italy, but there wasn't much fighting happening there there yet. Although since the Romans were screwing around in Algeria:

November 8, 1942: Operation Torch: United States and United Kingdom forces land in French North Africa. French Resistance Coup in Algiers: 400 French civil resisters neutralize the Vichyist XIXth Army Corps and the Vichyist generals (Juin, Darlan, etc.) thus allowing the immediate success of Operation Torch in Algiers, and ultimately the whole of French North Africa.

I've also been trying to throw in more BCE stuff, since last thread was basically all CE events. We can't have negative page numbers, so ya gotta put BCE events somewhere.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 3, 2015

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

My Imaginary GF posted:

Of course, D&D oft decries the alternative as worse. Which is better, the freedom of anarchy without necessary social norms to foster development, or the freedom from starvation which political order empowered against existing social norms and customs provides?

kill yourself your gimmick is past its prime

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

on page 501 let's bombard this thread with boyko gifs

in honor of mayday.us

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

joeburz posted:

:agreed:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Does anyone have the user name Johnny nightstick? Feels like someone should.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

joeburz posted:

What gimmick? Some local customs, such as polygamy, female genital mutilation, child brides, and arranged marriage need by repressed by state institutions in order to create a common good and functioning society compatible with modernity.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Badger of Basra posted:

you're gonna attract that guy who posts about how nazis appropriated skinhead culture

Let me guess: he's a huge fan of Atari Teenage Riot?

:nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkb3r9filcM
:nws: (probably)

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 3, 2015

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

How do Persians do rotisserie chicken because this stuff is great

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

How do Persians do rotisserie chicken because this stuff is great

no the real hallmark of persian cuisine is their awesome rice

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

nutranurse posted:

arizona is a fever dream tho and not real america

its been very interesting watching the little fault lines growing at the edges of the african american political community here wrt mexicans

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

ZenVulgarity posted:

Haven't your parents told you yet? The avatar fairy isn't real

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

nutranurse posted:

no the real hallmark of persian cuisine is their awesome rice

Tahdig especially

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Growing up in rich Asian American Silicon Valley, we lumped black and Latino people together as "ghetto people"

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My history snipe was merely a test and I am saddened that I can't contribute more.

I am ashame.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I often forget when I am in chatthread and when I am not

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/05/israel-ethiopian-jews-rally-police-brutality-150503155817247.html

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

lol

Primus
May 14, 2007

Greater than the sum of his parts.

Welp. Time for AA to correct this clearly biased article!

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

quote:

At a protest by Ethiopian Jews on Thursday in Jerusalem, police used water cannon to keep angry crowds away from Netanyahu's residence, and at least 13 people were injured.

hmm

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

PupsOfWar posted:

I often forget when I am in chatthread and when I am not

a dangerous game

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

:psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Somebody fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 16, 2015

• Locked thread