Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Senor Candle posted:

Literally every Batman story:
Someone: I'm going to do a crime!
Batman: No

This isn't even accurate. Like Death of the Family:

Joker: Hey Batman, I just killed hundreds of people to get your attention!
Batman: Well, poo poo happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Last time I checked killing people was a crime!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Senor Candle posted:

Last time I checked killing people was a crime!

Yeah, but it was "I already did a crime." Batman recently seems terrible inept at actually stopping crimes because you have the Penguin and Joker all murdering people by the hundreds before Batman does anything.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, but it was "I already did a crime." Batman recently seems terrible inept at actually stopping crimes because you have the Penguin and Joker all murdering people by the hundreds before Batman does anything.

Hey Batman saved a lot of lives during Year Zero, stopping all those plots.
I guess he's now content to sit back and rely on the stuff he did in his new origin.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I really don't like Scott Snyder's writing; is that just me? It always seems so clunky and full of unneeded words, and the characters always seem to have monologues where they go "I am explaining the obvious subtext of this scene in case you may have missed it". It's like reading someone who hasn't realised there will be pictures around their words. I wouldn't really mind the need for every story to be the biggest one ever if I felt any of them were actually good at the nuts and bolts level.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I like him for the most part, but he's got some real issues with grand mastermind style plots, which is to say that's all he knows how to write. Zero Year was really good, and I really liked Court of Owls. His pre-New 52 Batman stories are pretty much universally good. I think that being handed the reins to the "real" Batman (ie Bruce Wayne) with a more-or-less blank slate post-reboot has sort of pushed him into this mindset of trying to create a new set of legendary stories that people are going to remember the way he remembers the Batman stuff he grew up on.

He's also about ten feet up Frank Miller's rear end in a top hat, and utterly terrible at writing the Joker.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Travis343 posted:

He's also about ten feet up Frank Miller's rear end in a top hat,

Yeah, but now in the sense he'll be writing Robocop instead of his lofty epic hero, and I think that'll work out for a much more relaxed, less purple prose'd comic (for a while, at least.)

I hope these final lines are really telling :)

Robocop 2 was better than The Dark Knight Returns.
Yeah, yeah, I know his script being re-written probably made it that way.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 3, 2015

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I'm all for Batlabor: Mobile Batman Police.
Dunno if that's because I'm a sucker for Snyder, power armor, Batman, or that it just looks like an interesting idea we haven't really seen before.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

If I recall the interview correctly, one of the things Snyder always tells his writing students at Sarah Lawrence is to write the kind of story you, the writer, want to read right now. Don't focus on what you think other people might like, what you think might sell, what you think is good for the world; just write the kind of story you would enjoy.

Given this, him returning to the same themes (architecture, hidden pasts, strange technology, the importance of father figures, generational legacies) over and over doesn't surprise me in the least.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I am down for Bat-mech, but god I hate Gordon's new look. I don't know if Capullo just loves short mohawks and Snyder's throwing him a bone, or if Snyder loves short mohawks, but they literally just had Joker have the same haircut, then before that had Bruce have the short buzzcut in Zero Year.

Also no mustache = NOT MAH COMMISSIONER

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

TwoPair posted:

I am down for Bat-mech, but god I hate Gordon's new look. I don't know if Capullo just loves short mohawks and Snyder's throwing him a bone, or if Snyder loves short mohawks, but they literally just had Joker have the same haircut, then before that had Bruce have the short buzzcut in Zero Year.

Gotta appeal to that Gotham tv show synergy.

Really what they should have done is gotten rid of all his hair and commit fully to the Robocop look.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is kind of odd that they went for a man on his late fourties (if not older) to be the new Batman.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Senor Candle posted:

Literally every Batman story:
Someone: I'm going to do a crime!
Batman: No
Right, and literally every story is "someone does a thing, and then other things happen".

You can tell plenty of Batman stories that are not a giant lurking conspiracy threatening to unravel everything you ever thought you knew and destroy Batman to the very core with secrets and lies that cut to the very heart of Gotham City. It's pretty easy, and hundreds of writers have done it. It's also possible to tell a good story about all of that, but I'm not 100% sure Snyder has pulled it off. He definitely hasn't pulled it off like six times in five years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

Let's just assume that they have yet to achieve Stark levels of facial-hair/armor synergy so Gordon had to shave.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

It definitely is way too consistent of a pattern to just be coincidence.

Also, from what much more hip people than me have said when I brought up that hairstyle being a thing popping up in comics a lot, supposedly it's already starting to fall out of fashion among trendy folks, so it's gonna make Snyder's run look dated that much sooner. I mean, it's fine, as a kid I read a lot of Batman comics where Bruce had that weird curly hair that fashionable men had in the late 80's, so every kid needs dated comics to look at and go "...why did grown ups think that was cool?"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, Jim's marine-ing out for it, so I don't think this is so much a cool trendy with-it fashion haircut here.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Space_Butler posted:

It definitely is way too consistent of a pattern to just be cI mean, it's fine, as a kid I read a lot of Batman comics where Bruce had that weird curly hair that fashionable men had in the late 80's, so every kid needs dated comics to look at and go "...why did grown ups think that was cool?"

Same conversation kinda going on right now in the Marvel thread, re: Tony Stark:

Cultural archeology via comics.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

fcbd divergence:
Ha, I called Batman being reborn as the New God the last time he died, when the Morrison super-speculation was in full force.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 4, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

fatherboxx posted:

fcbd divergence:
Ha, I called Batman being reborn as the New God the last time he died, when the Morrison super-speculation was in full force.

That sounds like the same kind of stupidity that gave us the Punisher as an Angel.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

fatherboxx posted:

fcbd divergence:

Morrison was definitely setting him up as the new Orion in Return of Bruce Wayne. The clues weren't at all subtle.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

If I've never read any Green Lantern stuff before, can I read just the main GL series in New 52, or am I going to have to read the other associated/family series to understand what's going on?

I'm looking for a new New 52 series to start, and the choices so far are Flash, Catwoman, and Green Lantern. I figure the former two can be read independently without much trouble, but I wasn't sure about Green Lantern.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dunbar posted:

If I've never read any Green Lantern stuff before, can I read just the main GL series in New 52, or am I going to have to read the other associated/family series to understand what's going on?

I'm looking for a new New 52 series to start, and the choices so far are Flash, Catwoman, and Green Lantern. I figure the former two can be read independently without much trouble, but I wasn't sure about Green Lantern.

With GL, you kinda have to start with Geoff Johns' pre-reboot series. It was the best at the start, and Green Lantern Corps back then was even better, so it's not a bad idea.
For Catwoman, just start where the new writer did at #35 where it turns into a dead serious organised crime book. It was levels of garbage till then.

Those are the only choices? Read Dial H, Demon Knights, Frankenstein, I Vampire, All-Star Western, OMAC, GI Zombie? By virtue of getting their asses cancelled, they're nice contained runs :D

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 5, 2015

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Shameless posted:

Morrison was definitely setting him up as the new Orion in Return of Bruce Wayne. The clues weren't at all subtle.

I always considered that whole idea to be more 'the superheroes of earth are the New New Gods, not 'they'll literally become New Gods'

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Dan Didio posted:

I always considered that whole idea to be more 'the superheroes of earth are the New New Gods, not 'they'll literally become New Gods'

Oh yeah, that's absolutely what it was. Now it's just another decent idea fallen prey to Johnsian Literalism

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Convergence week 5 sale
https://www.comixology.com/Convergence-Week-5-Sale/page/6497?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Includes Rucka's Batwoman run of Detective Comics. Get it, you dummy who haven't already.
Also, his Question post-52 Five Lessons of Blood.

So, now we've gotten through the Convergence #1s, what did people like? What'll you finish off this month?
I'll get #2s for Detective Comics, Green Lantern Corps, Hawkman, Infinity Inc, JLA, Nightwing/Oracle, Plastic Man, Shazam, Superboy/Legion, Superman, Swamp Thing, Question, Wonder Woman and World's Finest.

e: \/ Oh yeah! I wanna read all of 'em, so I'm glad they're reappearing free.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 5, 2015

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I haven't seen much in the way of discussion around it, but a reminder that tomorrow DC will begin releasing FOR FREE 8-page stories correlating with each new ongoing being launched in June. These stories aren't previews they are stand alone stories by the new creative teams that will be available on DCs website and Comixology that are meant to give you a taste of what's to come.

It's pretty much genius and I hope this becomes an industry standard going forward.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Injustice Year Four started today - and it's pretty good!
I'll gladly take a year's worth of seeing the Greek pantheon get dicked over.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Didio said on twitter one of the convergence spin offs is gonna continue (and that it's probably not Booster Gold because it would be too obvious?). Anyone have a guess which it might be?

I figure if it's gonna be integrated into the New 52 universe then it's probably one of the street level books like The Question or maybe Batgirl (though they brought back Steph in the New 52 and want Barbara headlining the title for the forseeable future so probably not), but I guess if it continues off of Convergence with the more cosmic level of storytelling then maybe Pre-52 Superman or Speed Force (though that's doubtful since DC's history with The Flash family has been nothing if not abusive for the last decade).

Maybe someone else has some better insight than I do, though.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 5, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Didio said on twitter one of the convergence spin offs is gonna continue (and that it's probably not Booster Gold because it would be too obvious?). Anyone have a guess which it might be?

I figure if it's gonna be integrated into the New 52 universe then it's probably one of the street level books like The Question or maybe Batgirl (though they brought back Steph in the New 52 and want Barbara headlining the title for the forseeable future so probably not), but I guess if it continues off of Convergence with the more cosmic level of storytelling then maybe Pre-52 Superman or Speed Force (doubtful since DC's history with The Flash family has been nothing if not abusive for the last decade).

Maybe someone else has some better insight than I do, though.

Will not be Question as they are bringing back Renee to the Gotham PD, but she could be doing both.
It could be Superboy and the Legion.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Hoping for Shazam or Question.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Will not be Question as they are bringing back Renee to the Gotham PD, but she could be doing both.

Haven't been following along with it, have they already shown her? Because, technically, Convergence has already happened from the regular universe's perspective, I think (When Superman came back with a beard). Could be this was planned beforehand and that's how they're introducing her.

Oh yeah, Legion could make sense for the cosmic side of things and there's no ongoing Legion book.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The correct option would be Shazam even though it contradicts nu52 Shazam.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Haven't been following along with it, have they already shown her? Because, technically, Convergence has already happened from the regular universe's perspective, I think (When Superman came back with a beard). Could be this was planned beforehand and that's how they're introducing her.

No she is going to be introduced in the 52 in an upcoming Detective Comics.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

The correct option would be Shazam even though it contradicts nu52 Shazam.

I'd just be happy with a New 52 Shazam title, really, which is what everyone has been clamoring for for over a year anyhow. It'd be kind of weird to bring the title to life through Convergence when all the set up has been done already for Earth-0 Billy, but I'll take what I can get.

bobkatt013 posted:

No she is going to be introduced in the 52 in an upcoming Detective Comics.

Well, that seems like that could be how they get Convergence Montoya into it but, yeah, seems unlikely if that's the case. Which is a shame.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

I loved Parker's Shazam, but I also loved Johns' Shazam so I am conflicted.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Semper Fudge posted:

I loved Parker's Shazam, but I also loved Johns' Shazam so I am conflicted.

SHAZAM OF TWO WORLDS

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

I'm actually thinking it might be Batgirl that continues forward. Snyder was talking up the fact that DC has some plans for Cassandra Cain that are going to materialize very soon, and this seems strangely plausible.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Semper Fudge posted:

I'm actually thinking it might be Batgirl that continues forward. Snyder was talking up the fact that DC has some plans for Cassandra Cain that are going to materialize very soon, and this seems strangely plausible.

DC moves in a surprising new direction: Another Bat character!

It'd be weird if Cassandra is the one to survive Convergence. She's not even the main character of said (dull, awful) book.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Semper Fudge posted:

Please god, don't have it by Alisa Kwitney. That book is so poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Space Fish posted:

Injustice Year Four started today - and it's pretty good!
I'll gladly take a year's worth of seeing the Greek pantheon get dicked over.

Indeed was quite good.

Here's hoping the guy knocked Cyborg out was Jason Todd :v:

• Locked thread