Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Oh Emo-Stein...You're such a whiny tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
So now I've seen Billie Pipper's vagina.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Edit: Sorry for any spoilers!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Apr 22, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So the first episode was leaked? Or released early? Or something?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

counterfeitsaint posted:

So the first episode was leaked? Or released early? Or something?

It's up on youtube and sho.com in TV14 form, and there's an unedited version floating around.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Also my DVR recorded it Monday sooooo.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
poo poo I'd better get a thread up. Hold on, watching the episode to inspire the OP.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Penny Dreadful: "House of Emo-Stein."

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
So what is the deal with speculation based on this leaked/early release episode? Spoiler tag or no?

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
I watched the first episode yesterday, and it's just as pulpy and over the top as I'd hoped. I'm a little skeptical about the witch daughters, none of the actresses seemed that good and it feels a bit ehhh to introduce this plot. However, I'm pretty psyched for Emostein and the wax museum.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Mouse Dresser posted:

However, I'm pretty psyched for Emostein and the wax museum.

I foresee Emostein falling for the blind girl and abandoning his reanimated Billy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I foresee Emostein falling for the blind girl and abandoning his reanimated Billy.

Probably be easier to explain to the blind than to understand the garbled undead rantings anyways.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Pinky Artichoke posted:

That's okay, Frankenstein will kill her again so he can talk to her. And feel up her corpse.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Probably be easier to explain to the blind than to understand the garbled undead rantings anyways.

Lady Irishstein: Oh aye fiddly-dee so'n it's a fight ye be wanting then, t'be sure t'be sure. Potato.

I kinda want resurrecting her corpse to mean that dreadful Irish accent will magically disappear, but there's a kind of car-wreck fascination to hearing her garble it.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
It's one of the most hilarious fake accents in recent years, I can't take a word out of her mouth seriously, I half expect a laugh track when she finishes a sentence :shobon:

e: 12 minutes into the first ep and I am not disappointed in the slightest. The pulpy atmosphere and gore is still in and the scenery chewing is powerful.

Martout fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 24, 2015

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

Martout posted:

The pulpy atmosphere and gore is still in and the scenery chewing is powerful.

At this point I'm basically rooting for the witches on the strength of Madame Kali's awesome chanting and Bathory bathing and menacing cigarette-chewing. She's just so into Satan, how can you not love that.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Martout posted:

It's one of the most hilarious fake accents in recent years, I can't take a word out of her mouth seriously, I half expect a laugh track when she finishes a sentence :shobon:

e: 12 minutes into the first ep and I am not disappointed in the slightest. The pulpy atmosphere and gore is still in and the scenery chewing is powerful.

The one daughter's random hissing attack is an amazing scenery-chewing achievement.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
And the regular broadcast for Season 2 Episode 1 is tonight.

I do like the cast pictures on the website.

http://www.sho.com/sho/penny-dreadful/home

edit: Or was it last night? Emo-Stein save me from this madness!!

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 3, 2015

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

And the regular broadcast for Season 2 Episode 1 is tonight.

I do like the cast pictures on the website.

http://www.sho.com/sho/penny-dreadful/home

edit: Or was it last night? Emo-Stein save me from this madness!!

Either way it's probably about time for a new thread.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Pinky Artichoke posted:

The one daughter's random hissing attack is an amazing scenery-chewing achievement.

I loved it. Adds to that witches as cats mythos. That dagger ring was amazing. I was expecting a sharp nail or something, like every other supernaturally themed show, but that was a nice touch.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I said this in S1, too (before the character was revealed and then killed with no fanfare), but Dalton really should've been Van Helsing.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Was not expecting to see David Haig in this.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
io9 has a great write up on the season premiere: http://io9.com/five-things-about-penny-dreadful-are-better-than-ever-1702023840

Including this amazing picture

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Hey folks - I've gotten unexpectedly busy with work the last week or so, and this show deserves a new thread. Mouse Dresser has offered to take on the OP, so know that he or she writes it with my blessing.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
What if skeesix goes back in time and makes one a few days ago?? I'm so confused.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

poo poo I made one before I saw that one was already made.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think you guys should have a dance off for it. I'll call David Bowie.

Also, Mouse Dresser has some great stuff in there, I hope it doesn't get wasted.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I thought for sure that was the dude from Moulin Rogue. One thing I really enjoy about this show is that none of my predictions are right. Almost everything I've guessed at with the exception of Ethan's condition and Billie Piper's future I have been utterly wrong about it, and it feels good to be surprised.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
No posts in a couple of days, but the only other thread I can find is closed. Is this the current thread?

I thought the season ended with Vanessa being possessed by Satan. Wasn't the cross in her room upside down and she was babbling, etc. Did I miss something in the meantime? She seemed in control now.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
This topic confusion is way too stressful for me.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Let's just use this thread. It's already broken in and comfortable.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

atomicgeek posted:

Let's just use this thread. It's already broken in and comfortable.

"You must always keep the thread close at hand."

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

The open S2 thread is here, looking sad and forlorn with its two posts.

If we are intending to move, maybe we should close this one?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Autonomous Monster posted:

The open S2 thread is here, looking sad and forlorn with its two posts.

If we are intending to move, maybe we should close this one?

If people just want to stick with this one my feelings won't be hurt. I only started a new one because there was a bunch of discussion about it and the new season was supposed to start. So I figured someone had to do it. If I didn't have to do it, oh well.

Anyways, I was totally creeped out by Victor copping a feel on a dead body.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Skeesix posted:

Anyways, I was totally creeped out by Victor copping a feel on a dead body.

In a vacuum that's pretty creepy, but on this show I'm not sure it even registers.

Not that Victor couldn't do with getting out of his lab and meeting some non-corpsified women, mind.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This one is only 14 pages, let's just use this one.

Here is the first post I made in the closed thread:

Mouse Dresser posted:

Season 2 of Showtime's series "Penny Dreadful" is upon us, mortals!

In the first season of this Victorian-set drama, we were introduced to many literary familiar faces and some new characters invented for the series.

The characters are:

Vanessa Ives
Played by Eva Green

Poised, mysterious and utterly composed, Vanessa is a seductive and formidable beauty full of secrets and danger. She is keenly observant -- clairvoyant even -- as well as an expert medium. Her supernatural gifts are powerful and useful to those around her, but they are also a heavy burden. Her inner demons just may be more real than emotional, and they threaten to destroy her relationships, her sanity, and her very life.

Sir Malcolm Murray
Played by Timothy Dalton

A hardened African explorer by trade, Sir Malcolm has paid a heavy price for his exciting career. Although his stately mansion is filled with marvelous souvenirs of his travels, he has destroyed all of his personal relationships along the way except one: Vanessa Ives, whom he has known since childhood and considers a daughter. Vanessa is troubled and in danger, and Sir Malcolm will do everything in his power to help her and keep her safe.

Perfectly normal human male Ethan Chandler oh whoops he a werewolf omg
Played by Josh Hartnett

A dashing American who finds himself trapped in the darkest corners of Victorian London, Ethan's charm and brash ways are catnip to the ladies. Sir Malcolm enlists him to help in a personal quest, and Ethan becomes protective of the beautiful Vanessa. But behind Ethan's bright eyes lurk dark secrets. He is running from something, and his troubling past threatens to overtake him at every turn.

Sembene
Played by Danny Sapani

Sembene is an African man with ritual face scarring who serves as Sir Malcolm's sentry and confidant. He has an air of mystery about him and his heroic efforts prove invaluable to Sir Malcolm and his friends many times over.

Dr. Victor Frankenstein Yes, THAT Dr. Victor Frankenstein.
Playede by Harry Treadaway

More Romantic poet than surgeon, Dr. Frankenstein is a tender, gentle soul who is fascinated by the mysteries of life and death. He has dedicated himself to researching what makes something live, and has sacrificed everything for his scientific pursuit. He is also recruited by Sir Malcolm, and becomes a willing member of his solemn band. But the good doctor is playing with fire, and his research pays off in shocking ways with devastating personal consequences.

Brona Croft aka Mrs. The Creature
Played by Billie Piper

A poor Irish immigrant to Victorian London, Brona tries to escape a dark and sordid past. The Gaelic meaning of her name is "sadness," and she lives up to it as she valiantly fights a fatal case of consumption. Ethan Chandler is madly in love with the doomed Brona, but it is Dr. Frankenstein who has ultimate unholy plans for her.

Caliban/The Creature/Frankenstein's Monster/Emo-Stein
Played by Rory Kinnear

Dr. Frankenstein's original creation is a hideous, immortal monster whom nevertheless has a deep and anguished soul. His horrible appearance and unusual "birth" have left him a lonely, misunderstood outcast, and he is furious at his creator over his unfortunate fate. He will not rest until Dr. Frankenstein creates an immortal mate for him.

Evelyn Poole
Played by Helen McCrory

Beneath the surface of this gracious, attractive lady lies an evil wicked old witch. Evelyn Poole is a wicked, conniving practitioner of the occult. Her dark powers are great, and she recognizes an equally powerful potential kindred spirit in Vanessa. Evelyn has big plans for Vanessa, and she will do everything she can to entrap the young woman and hijack her power.

Hecate Poole
Played by Sarah Greene

Evelyn Poole's beautiful daughter is also a practitioner of the dark arts. She is completely controlled by her mother, who uses her as a dangerous and lethal weapon in her evil quest.

Ferdinand Lyle
Played by Simon Russell Beale

The eccentric, fawning Egyptologist from the British Museum's Department of Egyptian and Assyrian Antiquities is initially called upon by Sir Malcolm to help translate some unusual hieroglyphics. His expertise and connections continue to prove useful to Sir Malcolm and his friends, but can his allegiance really be trusted?

Dorian Gray
Played by Reeve Carney and his indiscriminate penis

Dorian Gray is a fabulously wealthy young gentleman who is almost unnerving in his beauty. His skin seems to radiate a golden glow of intoxicating youth and promise. A recklessly abandoned sensualist, he has a devil-may-care attitude that borders on dangerous. Nothing seems to faze him, nor are any risks too great. In fact, he is unnaturally drawn to them.

This show relishes in the absurdly wonderful dark, frightening, gory gothic tales from the era in which it's set. It's pulpy fun, when you think it can't go further it surpasses all of your fears and hopes and shows you some of the scariest, silliest, most awesome fun currently airing on TV.

Every week io9.com does great episode write ups and include updated charts of the weird relationships of the characters.

Airs on Showtime on Sundays at 10:00pm.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Just wanted to say I'm hyped for this season. Disappointed that Van Helsing is dead and Goonenstein is still un-alive.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Aw yes, it looks like Price Peterson's going to be recapping this show this season. Here's his take on Fresh Hell.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

drat. Well, that solved the horrible accent predicament. Is it also weird to assume she's named Lily because she's the Bride of Frankenstein, a la Lily Munster? This show just gets weirder and weirder. That puppet/doll room was crazy as hell, but notice they all looked shoddily made, up until the Ives doll at the end. I found that odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Pan Dulce posted:

drat. Well, that solved the horrible accent predicament. Is it also weird to assume she's named Lily because she's the Bride of Frankenstein, a la Lily Munster? This show just gets weirder and weirder. That puppet/doll room was crazy as hell, but notice they all looked shoddily made, up until the Ives doll at the end. I found that odd.

I think it was more that they looked shocked, drop-jawed and bug-eyed like they knew exactly what was going on, assumedly because that's what happened to them. Some of them looked spattered with red paint.

• Locked thread