Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I went with the E30 for the league event. Not having tried it or the Cosworth prior, it seems to be a good choice thus far. It handles fairly well and I'm not spinning out too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I went with the E30 for the second goon rally too, doing much better this time. Those rocks on the second stage are scary as poo poo.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Jehde posted:

Yeah I went with the E30 for the second goon rally too, doing much better this time. Those rocks on the second stage are scary as poo poo.

yeah, had to put it down after killing myself on them for a straight 90 minutes.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Is it just me, or does the E30 seem to have a really fragile windshield?

e: Last stage is super slippery.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 2, 2015

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I am so bad at this game. Any help with hairpin turns would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foF11csFcsY

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

For FWD: The standard method seems to be just using the handbrake to get a slide going, but this requires getting the weight transfer just right in order to come out clean, also usually means your exit speed will be pretty low. I found out that left foot braking can work pretty well for wider hairpins, just balance the brake and throttle as you turn into the hairpin and you'll feel it nudge around pretty smoothly, you'll get a feel for it.

In general there's different kinds of hairpins where different techniques work best.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Unlocked the Impreza for the campaign. :slick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6byb27WBt0

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

Is it worth picking up Dirt Rally if you just have a controller? I have a wheel, but the only time I can use it is when everybody else is asleep - and it's pretty noisy with the FFB.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Mootallica posted:

Is it worth picking up Dirt Rally if you just have a controller? I have a wheel, but the only time I can use it is when everybody else is asleep - and it's pretty noisy with the FFB.

I'm playing it with a xbox360 pad and it's a perfectly enjoyable experience (though pretty challenging, but that's due to the game being a lot more simulatorish than previous DiRTs)

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Mootallica posted:

Seconding a yes if you enjoy rally games. Been using a DS3 emulating a 360 controller and, while I'd feel much better off with a wheel (especially with how narrow some stages get [barely car width at points], finer handling control would be great), a controller is workable to a reasonable level. I even managed to do fairly well with Traction Control (TC) and Stability Control (SC) assists turned off until I got past the 1960's cars that are FWD and have really low power (the 1970's RWD cars were spinning constantly till I bit the bullet and turned on traction/stability control). I believe I settled at ABS 3 (5 by default, I noticed negligible difference turning it down), TC 3, and SC 4 (can set any to off or 1-5 where 1 is weakest, 5 is strongest) for now. You do get more money in the Career Mode if you don't use assists, but, unless you have truly exceptional agility on that ~1cm for trigger/joystick control, you'll probably be better off with them on to a setting you find comfortable.

FWIW: I managed 85~90 percentile in yesterday's Daily Event so a controller (with assists) seems reasonably capable (granted the daily events being no restarts means they're more about not crashing hard than pushing things to the absolute limit). I felt none too shabby about getting my controller run in at 8 minutes 12 seconds when the top guy, a pro rally driver as mentioned above, was ~6:56 (presumably with a nice wheel setup).

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Dirt Rally is good, it strangely feels like the cars are really slow.

Anyway, I set a time for your league thingy.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Game Stock Car question... do you guys find it incredibly easy to spin out in this game? It's like no matter what setting I adjust, steering sensitivity is nigh impossible on tight corners compared to other sims

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

After a night's rest I not only completed the second stage of the current goonrally but I also did so without having to use the vehicle recovery (first time I've done that in the game so far :toot:)

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
How good is Dirt? It's not too expensive yet but I'm very wary of getting burned on games, especially since Codemasters doesn't have a great history of making sim type games. Y'all seem to be liking it and the reviews on Steam are Very Positive so that is moving me into the 'buy' camp but I seem to need a bit more push. I ask because I was thinking of buying P:C but that one is definitely an expensive game to be buying.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Xenoid posted:

How good is Dirt? It's not too expensive yet but I'm very wary of getting burned on games, especially since Codemasters doesn't have a great history of making sim type games. Y'all seem to be liking it and the reviews on Steam are Very Positive so that is moving me into the 'buy' camp but I seem to need a bit more push. I ask because I was thinking of buying P:C but that one is definitely an expensive game to be buying.

You can wait on it. As it is now, there's a lack of content and overall polish. A lot of fun, but not necessary.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Xenoid posted:

Think of it less as Codemasters trying to push their usual "the most realistic experience yet!" spiel (even though they are) and more as them starting a community driven rally sim, a "Project Rally" if you will. If you want in on the low price-point, now is the time to buy because they will raise the price as development progresses. There's actually an incredible amount of content and polish already for an early access title. The only caveats are that the 36 stages to start are only across 3 locations, so it can get a bit repetitive; and the FFB for wheels still seems to be under heavy development, I just use an xbox 360 controller so I wouldn't really know. There is still already a lot to do though, from goon rallies and daily challenges to the usual car unlocking career progression. All that being said though, I still maintain that most goons ITT will get more out of pCARS in general. pCARS will be the most "complete" experience any racing game has had in a while, and I figure most goons ITT prefer circuit racing over rally racing. If you are rally nut though, buy the Dirt game. You might wanna wait until they fix the FFB if you use a wheel though. :v:

Jehde fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 2, 2015

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

ethanol posted:

Game Stock Car question... do you guys find it incredibly easy to spin out in this game? It's like no matter what setting I adjust, steering sensitivity is nigh impossible on tight corners compared to other sims

I know they say to set your steering and wheel lock to a certain percentage. Their website will tell you depending on the car class, such for stocks or minis or formula.

Edit: I have bought Dirt Rally. No ragrets. This is a great game even if it's in its early phase.

Ringo Star Get fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 3, 2015

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I could not get game stock car to handle the way i wanted, which is odd because now I'm playing GTR 2 which handles fine with the same settings. Music in this game owns. Another general question, FIA GT actually has two classes? I've never watched a gt race, do they normally race at the same time?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm going to be the sole Sierra in this rally, aren't I?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Welp, guess I'm buying DiRT Rally.

I hate saying this because I still think it's an amazing driving sim, but I'm pretty disappointed with where Assetto is this far after release. Multiplayer (at least as a pub racer) is pretty much a nonstarter (0 servers use booking anymore, so no races), as even the free-drive servers are a crapshoot due to the fact that you don't see how many people are currently on a server, just how many have joined at one time. I've been enjoying driving by myself but most of where I want to drive are the hillclimbs and rally stages, and even lowering traction and adjusting car settings to try and mimic dirt/gravel/bad tarmac isn't really enough. Driving on loose dirt isn't like driving on ice. Not to mention how fragmented the mods are thanks to audio updates constantly breaking them. :-/

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Ya AC is a very competent hot lap simulator.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Yes, and I honour you for it. I think I'm gonna go with the Sierra for the career after using the E30 for this goon rally.

Somehow managed first on the last stage. :toot: I nailed every hairpin but I was going way too fast on the wider bends and kept hitting the outside and bouncing everywhere on two wheels.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
well fine i should probably do this whole league thing too, shouldn't i

here comes a special boy

edit: BLEH

OhsH fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 3, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Alright maple valley news, or should I say Syrup Canyon. I've "finished"modeling in Bob's Track Builder and exported it in rFactor 1 format. It's playable, and it feels like maple valley, at least to me. My plans from here are to convert it to rFactor 2 and from there to Assetto Corsa. Also I'm planning on making the variants as well (full reverse, short, and short reverse) but for now it's just the regular full layout.

If you have rFactor 1 please check it out and give me feedback.

http://gutbomb.net/SyrupCanyonRF1.zip

It's not pretty, I just used default textures. I didn't duplicate the landscape of maple valley, just the track layout. A notable landscape difference is that I didn't make the bridge a covered bridge. When you're on the bridge it's not really obvious that you're on the bridge, the track just narrows a little bit. when you go under, then it's obviously a bridge. Also the kerbs are for decoration only for now, I haven't figured out how to make them rumble yet. I didn't do any optimization so it might run like poo poo on older machines. Anyway, please check it out and let me know what I can do to improve it.

Edit: figured out the kerbs and re-uploaded.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 4, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Does AC support reverse tracks?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

holocaust bloopers posted:

Does AC support reverse tracks?

It would just be a new track with the driving line sent the other direction.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
What's the goon Dirt Rally league? I've bee blasting away just using a 360 controller since my wheel is in storage in a closet beneath junkasauras.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.dirtgame.com/leagues/league/13996/dirtygoons

There's still 2 hours left to get in on the current event! It's five stages, go go go!

Munko
Jan 14, 2006
Uh Huh
In as Wunko for the Dirt league. I can't actually believe how fun Dirt Rally is even at this early stage. There's a few rough edges and the stages can get a bit samey after a while but it's just so drat satisfying to nail a stage. I love iRacing/AC/rF as much as anyone but none can quite satisfy me like a rally sim.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

gently caress yo league.

I didn't realise how bad I was until now. How are you guys actually good with xbox controllers? I spend all of the course fishtailing around and braking to a standstill if it gets out of control. I hear "jump maybe" and I think "jump: no" :smith:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I like to go exploring in the trees quite often. :smith:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
drat, wasn't able to finish in time to get on the board! My times were 11/12th through the 4th stage, so it's not like I missed out on any glory though. Weekly rallies?

This game is great so far. I used these FFB settings: http://steamcommunity.com/app/310560/discussions/0/611704730331127090/ and am looking at modifying the cockpit camera to get a narrower fov/move up

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I test drove both in a Custom Event before picking (needed to know which I wanted to buy for Career mode anyway). The Sierra with the extra weight felt a lot more in control, but the power difference just wasn't enough to make up for the weight difference, at least on the stage of Greece I tested both on (heavy gravel might have been a factor in the Sierra feeling so much more bogged down by weight). I wasn't feeling the BMW much either, but on my test stage I was running a full ten seconds better with it (on a short, ~4 minute stage), even if it is sketchier/harder to drive. I have a feeling 1980's cars will be my least played grouping (least with the current options).

In related news: I finally tested out some Group B cars and it made me giddy with the ridiculous power compared to the 60's/70's/80's I've used so far. Death traps are so fun when you don't actually die when careening off a massive cliff. :unsmith:

Munko posted:

I can't actually believe how fun Dirt Rally is even at this early stage. There's a few rough edges and the stages can get a bit samey after a while but it's just so drat satisfying to nail a stage.
It is impressive; first time in awhile to stumble into a game I just don't want to put down.

The "bit samey" is kind of getting to me though. I feel it's a little disingenuous of them to claim 36 stages when many (all?) of the longer stages include the entirety of the shorter stages within them. Seems like a big corner-cut to pick out a relatively small chunk of the rally, lay 12 stages over it that include plenty of overlap, and call it good. On the plus side: it helps make the longer stages much easier when you're 3/8 of the way through the run and realize you just passed the start point of the previous stage and the rest of the stage will be identical to what you just did the prior stage.

Be great if at some point they open the door to crowd-sourcing rally stage creation or something so we can get a lot more variety (not sure how much in-house capacity they have to stage creation, but I'm doubtful they have plans to revisit/continue adding stages to existing locations). Part of the fun of rally racing games is not being familiar enough with the stages that you can ignore your co-driver for lengthy periods because you already know what's coming from doing the stage too much.

Daimo posted:

How are you guys actually good with xbox controllers? I spend all of the course fishtailing around and braking to a standstill if it gets out of control. I hear "jump maybe" and I think "jump: no" :smith:
Did you turn on some assists? I managed the 1960's cars fine without TC and SC, but the 1970's cars necessitated turning them on to stop spinning out constantly because the trigger doesn't have fine-enough throttle control to feather it easily. I settled in with both at 3 and both RWD classes are plenty manageable (I occasionally still spin, but usually it's with the help of bumps/walls/ridges instead of just too much power at the rear).

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

:getin:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I shouldn't have because money's tight, but I bought Dirt Rally anyways. Will update with a trip report if I don't get sucked in and spend all night playing (this will probably happen).

Hopefully my Fanatec Carrera wheel works well, because I really can't afford an upgrade right now.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Sooo, how do I see the league standings? It only shows things related to the current event.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Sooo, how do I see the league standings? It only shows things related to the current event.
I think we've just been doing single-event things so far so there hasn't been any standings (whoever wins the event wins the "season"). Don't think there's a way to look back to previous "seasons" that the league has had yet because Early Access.

So, direct answer: you don't (as far as I can tell).

Maybe next "season", later this week, we could try two events and see how their fledgling league system handles it.

Coopz
Mar 13, 2006
Love Dirt Rally, just loathe the controls and the menu controls. Everything there feels like a after though:(

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Coopz posted:

Love Dirt Rally, just loathe the controls and the menu controls. Everything there feels like a after though:(

It probably is an afterthought right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Oh man, this is so loving good. I can only imagine with a real cockpit. :allears:

• Locked thread