Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

MacPac posted:

If you dont push yourself to get better, or play in a corp that doesnt tell you why you`re bad and how to get better its perfectly possible to just stay bad for years and years.

Or you can team up with 40.000 equally bad people. Form a coalition and rule Eve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I find that it's hard to tell who is and isn't a newbie. Some players have been in this game for a real long time but never got pass the newbie stage, so they graduated into just being bad. Like i've been playing Eve-Online on and off for a long time, so i'm not a newbie, i'm just really bad.

The thing of it is though, in Eve it doesn't matter if you're bad. In other MMOs where the end game is high end pve, a gently caress up can wipe an entire raid or group. In eve, if an individual screws up they suffer the loss personally and we all just laugh at them.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Dirty Sanchez posted:

The thing of it is though, in Eve it doesn't matter if you're bad. In other MMOs where the end game is high end pve, a gently caress up can wipe an entire raid or group. In eve, if an individual screws up they suffer the loss personally and we all just laugh at them.

Like Asakai?

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

I said come in! posted:

I find that it's hard to tell who is and isn't a newbie. Some players have been in this game for a real long time but never got pass the newbie stage, so they graduated into just being bad. Like i've been playing Eve-Online on and off for a long time, so i'm not a newbie, i'm just really bad.

What's your definition of being bad though? If it's K/D ratio, then I think that's a bad representation of the overall nature of the game and your "skill" in playing it.

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zephyrine posted:

Or you can team up with 40.000 equally bad people. Form a coalition and rule Eve.

different strokes for different folks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RhoA posted:

What's your definition of being bad though? If it's K/D ratio, then I think that's a bad representation of the overall nature of the game and your "skill" in playing it.

Hmmm, that's a good question. I guess in Eve-Online, not learning from your mistakes or flying bad overpriced fits.

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer

RhoA posted:

k/d ratio has nothing to do with it since thats going to be good if you fly in any kind of competent fleets and bad if you do soloing independent of your own skill. Im thinking more of personal skill in doing your role in a fleet/corp/playstyle. Like striving to be better at tackle interceptor being at the right place when needed and not suiciding your ship so the fleet has a tackler for the entire roam. I find it rewarding when FC asks if i can do tackle instead of dps or logi because thats were he wants me to be.

Theres tons of various roles and activities you can apply yourself to learn the ins and outs of and get good at. From my time in goonswam i remember you had pretty elite groups like blackops and miniluv with people obviously tryharding it up and getting good together.

MacPac fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 3, 2015

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

What? RZR is giving up on Tenal? That's the biggest news in nullsec warfare since ever :stonk:

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
Do people not read anymore

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mitsuo posted:

No they don't.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Read what?

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

Mitsuo posted:

Audiobooks!

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Wolfy posted:

You can't even ping your squad nerd

Or can I???

E: I can't yet but gimme two weeks after I get to WA

smertrioslol fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 3, 2015

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

vyst posted:

Also h1z1 should be opt all but because it's a part of mittens master plan you'll never see one on opt. That's just the price you pay for having him at the helm. Either get off jabber or deal with it. Ironically it's mostly the idiots that don't even go on fleet warfare or are not even subscribed to eve. Protip: nobody cares about you

At least you're honest about pubfleet 2015's priorities. Well, and you run a good the best subgroup :3:

MacPac posted:

k/d ratio has nothing to do with it since thats going to be good if you fly in any kind of competent fleets and bad if you do soloing independent of your own skill. Im thinking more of personal skill in doing your role in a fleet/corp/playstyle. Like striving to be better at tackle interceptor being at the right place when needed and not suiciding your ship so the fleet has a tackler for the entire roam. I find it rewarding when FC asks if i can do tackle instead of dps or logi because thats were he wants me to be.

Theres tons of various roles and activities you can apply yourself to learn the ins and outs of and get good at. From my time in goonswam i remember you had pretty elite groups like blackops and miniluv with people obviously tryharding it up and getting good together.

SIGs are generally full of people looking to get good at [thing]. The trick is to find a thing that interests you, and work with the people in a sig that are experts in it. Usually most groups will have several roles that are often in demand, and will be in dire need of people to drive activity that can fill those roles and get fleets rolling with the critical mass of dudes to do something.

Getting poo poo done for goons or yourself is really where being 'good' at EVE lands. The real trick is what qualifies as getting poo poo done - that's different for most people. I personally find tackle most rewarding because it tends to make the difference in fights that result in kills and fights where poo poo gets out, but having good scouts, good logi, some critical support ships, and a critical mass of DPS is also necessary to get good engagements. Flexibility is also part of being 'good', as is having competent fits, having your ships actually ready to go in the right staging.

A lot of GSF sigs will take care of some parts of this for you, but being able to handle your own poo poo is really, really useful. Probably the strongest part of the organization is that while a lot of smaller groups do still tend to be cults of personality, you still at least have people trying to pass down skills through the organizational knowledge.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Saw Scott Manley convert 203 PLEX to the charity while nonchalantly mentioning market manipulation. Why am I so poor? :negative:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Demiurge4 posted:

Saw Scott Manley convert 203 PLEX to the charity while nonchalantly mentioning market manipulation. Why am I so poor? :negative:
He has hundreds of plex because he has a popular youtube channel and gets buddy referral signups you dolt. If someone had actually bought 250 billion worth of plex from the market, why would they be in VFK?

I loving love Scott Manley because he seems like a super nice guy, but is also just enough of a goon to put in some very light trolling to wind up the dumb people. The OTEC ad he did for the AT was particularly great.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Mitsuo posted:

tl;dr

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

People don't read?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Klyith posted:

He has hundreds of plex because he has a popular youtube channel and gets buddy referral signups you dolt. If someone had actually bought 250 billion worth of plex from the market, why would they be in VFK?

I loving love Scott Manley because he seems like a super nice guy, but is also just enough of a goon to put in some very light trolling to wind up the dumb people. The OTEC ad he did for the AT was particularly great.

I recall him saying he was unable to actually redeem most of that PLEX due to the old setup CCP had and that if loaded up the page on the website it'd crash 99% of the time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tomorrow I will be able to fly Caldari recon ships, with zero understanding of what their purpose even is. I'm good at making informed choices on what to train. I guess one of the ships can cyno other ships places, is that at all useful to other players?

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

I said come in! posted:

Tomorrow I will be able to fly Caldari recon ships, with zero understanding of what their purpose even is. I'm good at making informed choices on what to train. I guess one of the ships can cyno other ships places, is that at all useful to other players?

It used to be more useful, but yes a covert cyno is the Lord's gift to moving around eve. Train that Cyno V, people are always looking for Cyno V mans. If you want to be a "hunter" for blackops gangs though, you should probably look at training into an arazu as its more useful for blops dropping (significantly higher ehp and gets a bonus to warp disruptor range).

edit: falcons are also one of the most hated ships in eve thanks to their jamming strength. Find a small gang to hang out with and get to jammin, but be ready to run away at the drop of a hat since you die when people start to think about you.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mpaarating posted:

It used to be more useful, but yes a covert cyno is the Lord's gift to moving around eve. Train that Cyno V, people are always looking for Cyno V mans. If you want to be a "hunter" for blackops gangs though, you should probably look at training into an arazu as its more useful for blops dropping (significantly higher ehp and gets a bonus to warp disruptor range).

Awesome, I will do that next. I want to use this ship in gangs. Do you (or anyone else in this thread) know of a good fit for a Falcon? There is a peacetime fitting on the Wiki that I was thinking of going with, but I don't understand its Jammer recommendation.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Awesome, I will do that next. I want to use this ship in gangs. Do you (or anyone else in this thread) know of a good fit for a Falcon? There is a peacetime fitting on the Wiki that I was thinking of going with, but I don't understand its Jammer recommendation.

Jammers are targeted at specific races. You use a loadout targeted at what you think you'll be fighting. IIRC it's pretty common to keep extras in the cargo and switch based on intel. If you saw a shield fleet and knew it was using caldari ships with scimitars for logi you might do 2 Gravimetric for the caldari ships, 3 Ladar for the Scimitars and a multispectral as an wildcard in case there's something you weren't expecting. I never did a ton with them though so I could be off.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NovemberMike posted:

Jammers are targeted at specific races. You use a loadout targeted at what you think you'll be fighting. IIRC it's pretty common to keep extras in the cargo and switch based on intel. If you saw a shield fleet and knew it was using caldari ships with scimitars for logi you might do 2 Gravimetric for the caldari ships, 3 Ladar for the Scimitars and a multispectral as an wildcard in case there's something you weren't expecting. I never did a ton with them though so I could be off.

That's confusing to me and just means that I shouldn't be flying this ship just yet because the hull alone is 200 million isk. I'll stick to tier 1 variations for a while and get into fleets. :P Something I honestly should have been doing from the beginning but instead wasted my time on ratting.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I said come in! posted:

That's confusing to me and just means that I shouldn't be flying this ship just yet because the hull alone is 200 million isk. I'll stick to tier 1 variations for a while and get into fleets. :P Something I honestly should have been doing from the beginning but instead wasted my time on ratting.

Blackbirds are fun, just very easy to have popped since they have pisspoor tank. Get your jammer supports to IV at least and enjoy being the primary on any fleet you go on.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
I heard a month or 2 back they brought out T3 destroyers, What are they like? I've been unsubbed for a while but I'm thinking about returrning on payday, looking for something fun to use when I'm back since I was in a pretty new account.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

itsjustdrew posted:

I heard a month or 2 back they brought out T3 destroyers, What are they like? I've been unsubbed for a while but I'm thinking about returrning on payday, looking for something fun to use when I'm back since I was in a pretty new account.

They were absolutely absurd and got nerfed recently. They're still very good. They switch between tank, gun skills or prop, and you can build a ship that goes 2300km/s, hits out to 40+ km and has cruiser tank, it just won't do all of them at the same time.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
So what's best to train in to when I come back?

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

itsjustdrew posted:

So what's best to train in to when I come back?

Amarr and Minmatar Tactical Destroyers skill if you have their respective destroyer skills at level 5.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Good posting V

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
I agree, Good Posting V would be a good train, GF, truly rekt me.

There isn't a Caldari or Gallente one? I've always been more of a fan of missiles or blasters.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

itsjustdrew posted:

I agree, Good Posting V would be a good train, GF, truly rekt me.

There isn't a Caldari or Gallente one? I've always been more of a fan of missiles or blasters.

Not yet, no.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

They're supposed to be released in the next 2 expansions though aren't they?

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
'Yet'. Am I safe to get my hopes up? I think missiles will be better for me so I don't have to re-learn tracking with my lovely skills, plus light missiles / rockets always seemed to eat frigates alive.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Yeah they are definitely getting added, I just can't remember when. I *think* we're supposed to have both by mid year.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

darth cookie posted:

They're supposed to be released in the next 2 expansions though aren't they?

I believe the Caldari Jackdaw is next up for release followed by the Gallente Hecate. Not entirely sure on their release dates though.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
Any idea on what the stats will be? 'Cause I really like the idea of them so far.

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

itsjustdrew posted:

Any idea on what the stats will be? 'Cause I really like the idea of them so far.

I don't think they've shown up on the testing server yet, so :iiam:

vulvamancer
Oct 2, 2006

Yes! It all makes sense! We may be freaks, but we're freaks with teeth, and claws, and magic wands! And together, we can stand up to Farquaad!

itsjustdrew posted:

Looks like the jackdaw will be a super talwar with a kinetic lock and possibly a very stout rocket brawler, like a big hawk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

RhoA posted:

I believe the Caldari Jackdaw is next up for release followed by the Gallente Hecate. Not entirely sure on their release dates though.

Caldari Dohle is June, Gallente Greek Goddess of Magic is July. That's the plan for now according to CCP.

• Locked thread