Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Squidder posted:

I think I'm gonna be stuck sending it to Teledoorbell, there's absolutely no extra space to add anything or go with the slightly bigger speaker. I did email the FBELE peeps to see if they still make the 45ohm version, so I'll wait and see what they have to say. Thanks for trying, I'll let you guys know what they have to say. :cheers:

A last ditch effort would be to ask in the electronics megathread here in DIY. They might be able to come up with something.

Also, I found a few of those FBELE parts on alibaba.com. Even if you did have to order the minimum of a thousand parts, it would still be cheaper than the $90 that Teledoorbell wanted.

edit:

here you go! Cannibalize one of these:
http://www.shopvalcom.com/valcom/paging-equipment-26013-Valcom-V1072AST-Doorplate-Speaker-V1072AST.html

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
With Tesla selling home Li-Ion batteries, is the idea you charge at night with cheap electricity, and power your house in the day with the battery, thus lowering your cost, or does that not make sense?

Is sposed to couple with solar so you have 24 hr power?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

1or both, yes.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Squidder posted:

I have a Teledoorbell intercom system and the outside speaker is shot. It's a 50 mm 45 ohm mylar speaker. Anyone know where I can find one? It's like the unicorn of speakers, I'm having no luck so far.

A picture:

Looks awfully similar to a headphone driver. Maybe ask around at head-fi or one of those headphone enthusiast sites.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
At the local art center an air compressor is used for spraying glaze on pots. The sprayer works at 45psi and there is no bladder on the compressor so you have to spray in short bursts. Because the psi is quite low, and the volume is low, is there a cheap bladder to build? Can I just build a bladder out of 4" pvc with some check valves?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

At the local art center an air compressor is used for spraying glaze on pots. The sprayer works at 45psi and there is no bladder on the compressor so you have to spray in short bursts. Because the psi is quite low, and the volume is low, is there a cheap bladder to build? Can I just build a bladder out of 4" pvc with some check valves?

You mean an air tank?

Yeah, that's a big no on PVC. It turns into shrapnel when it (eventually) goes.

I'm sure you can find a free junk pancake compressor around easily and simply use the (properly built for the purpose) tank from that.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

2L soda bottles can do 45 PSI all day long, especially if you wrap them in dust-tape (mostly for UV & abrasion shielding). They're cheap & plentiful.

Alternately, old fire extinguishers, old grill propane tanks (that have been disassembled and filled/emptied completely with water to flush propane), mounted car tires, and really anything else can be used to hold 45 PSI.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

With Tesla selling home Li-Ion batteries, is the idea you charge at night with cheap electricity, and power your house in the day with the battery, thus lowering your cost, or does that not make sense?

It *sort* of makes sense.

http://rameznaam.com/2015/04/30/tesla-powerwall-battery-economics-almost-there/#UpdatedCost

quote:

Here are two (make that three) ways we can calculate the LCOE of the Tesla Powerwall.

1. Rule of Thumb: 1,000 Full Charge Cycles. This gives an LCOE of $0.35 / kwh. That compares to average grid electricity prices in the US of 12 cents / kwh, and peak California prices on a time-of-use plan of around 28 cents / kwh.

2. 10 Year Warranty + Daily Shallow Cycles. Tesla is offering a ten-year warranty on these batteries, which is bold. Yet evidence shows that Tesla automotive batteries are doing quite well, not losing capacity fast. Why? It’s because they’re rarely fully discharged. Most people drive well under half of the range of the battery per day. So let’s assume 10 years of daily use (3650 days, if we ignore leap days) and 50% depth of discharge on each day. Using the 7kwh battery, that gives us a price of around 23-24 cents / kwh.

3. UPDATE: 10 Years of 7kwh Cycles. Cheap Enough. I’m adding this after some twitter conversations with Robert Fransman. Let’s assume for a moment that the Tesla Battery actually can be used for full 7kwh charging and discharging every day during its 10 year warranty. That would make the cost around 12 cents / kwh.

[I had initially assumed that daily 7kwh cycling was impossible, despite the specs Tesla provided. No Li-ion battery today can handle 3650 discharges to 100% depth. But Robert Fransman has done the math on the weight of the battery vs. Tesla car batteries. He suggests that the 7kwh battery is actually a 12kwh battery under the hood. Discharging a battery to 60% 3650 times is still a stretch, but much closer to plausible. Tesla may here be just assuming they'll have to replace some on warranty before 10 years, but given that the price of batteries is plunging, future replacement is far less expensive. Smart.]

All three of these prices are the price to installers. It’s not counting the installer’s profit margin or their cost of labor or any equipment needed to connect it to the house. So realistically the costs will be higher. If we add 25% of so, the bottom price, the one backed by the warranty, is around 15 cents per kwh.

Tentative Conclusion: The battery is right on the verge of being cost effective to buy across most of the US for day/night arbitrage. And it’s even more valuable if outages come at a high economic cost.

In Sunny Countries: Bigger Impact, Drives Solar

Outside the continental US, the battery’s economics look far better, though. 43 US states currently have Net Metering laws that compensate solar homes for excess power created during the day. A good Net Metering plan is simply a better deal for most solar-equipped homes than buying a battery.

In some of the sunniest places in the world, though, retail electricity prices from the grid are substantially higher than the US, plenty of sunlight is available, and Net Metering either doesn’t exist or is being severely curtailed.

Here’s a map from BNEF of sunshine vs grid electricity rates. Countries above the 2015 line have cheaper solar electricity than grid electricity today. But a number of those countries, including Australia, Spain, Italy, Turkey, and Brazil have no or severely limited ability for solar home owners to sell extra power back to the grid. In those sunny, policy-light countries, Tesla’s batteries make economic sense today, and will help drive rooftop solar.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

That's an excellent analysis, except I think they've underestimated the installed cost a bit; 30%-40% is probably closer (for example, SolarCity is advertising $5000 installed), so more like 17 cents per kWh. It doesn't make sense (yet) for the average American, but it is impressively close.

Solar installs without net-metering agreements are still priced well beyond (battery + panels should be in the 35-40 cents per kWh LCOE) what makes sense in almost any part of the U.S. Hawaii Electric is probably making GBS threads itself right now; for the rest of the country this is just a POCO wakeup call - grid defection is very close to being viable, and if they don't rethink how they run as a business right now they'll be dead within 30 years.

POCO's that listen to that wakeup call should be able to offer incentives in excess of that $0.17/kWh, at least in some areas. With a 3.3 kW peak draw, $1500/kW is below the installed cost of almost any grid-scale storage (even pumped hydro), and distributed storage also relieves load on distribution systems. So far, this has only been leveraged in small scale pilots, but the mainstream draw of Tesla's batteries could make a big difference there.

Squidder
Mar 19, 2003

King of the Cat Tree

Oven Wrangler

kid sinister posted:

A last ditch effort would be to ask in the electronics megathread here in DIY. They might be able to come up with something.

Also, I found a few of those FBELE parts on alibaba.com. Even if you did have to order the minimum of a thousand parts, it would still be cheaper than the $90 that Teledoorbell wanted.

edit:

here you go! Cannibalize one of these:
http://www.shopvalcom.com/valcom/paging-equipment-26013-Valcom-V1072AST-Doorplate-Speaker-V1072AST.html

I got a reply from FBELE, they said to order 1 part I'd need to contact Teledoorbell. So I called Teledoorbell back and they're going to send me 2 new speakers for $5. Apparently they didn't offer me this choice right off the bat because ~reasons~, who knows. Guess I had to prove my worth or something.

Thanks to everyone that dug stuff up, I really appreciate it!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Squidder posted:

I got a reply from FBELE, they said to order 1 part I'd need to contact Teledoorbell. So I called Teledoorbell back and they're going to send me 2 new speakers for $5. Apparently they didn't offer me this choice right off the bat because ~reasons~, who knows. Guess I had to prove my worth or something.

Thanks to everyone that dug stuff up, I really appreciate it!

All the dialog options aren't opened up until you talk to ALL the NPCs on the quest.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

All the dialog options aren't opened up until you talk to ALL the NPCs on the quest.

Be sure to unstack the speakers before you turn in.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Be sure to unstack the speakers before you turn in.

And remove all party members before beginning the dialogue.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

thespaceinvader posted:

Can anyone suggest a means of treating mould on the underside of my sofa? We had some damp issues last year, and when it was being removed the other day I noticed a good bit of mould on the underside - it's a constucting with a lifting lid at one end, and the mould is on the particle/chip board underside of that box.

I have some benzalchonium chloride mould killer which I've used previously on painted walls, would that do the trick?

I don't have pics at the moment, the sofa is in storage.

I got bottom-paged and buried under interesting discussions about speakers - any ideas on this? If not, I'll just go with 'paint it with benzalkonium chloride, let it dry, wipe it.

We're also moving the sofa to a hopefully-less-damp location.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

I got bottom-paged and buried under interesting discussions about speakers - any ideas on this? If not, I'll just go with 'paint it with benzalkonium chloride, let it dry, wipe it.

We're also moving the sofa to a hopefully-less-damp location.

If it's unpainted, I'd think you could do the same thing you do to the underside of roof sheathing-- 1/2 cup of bleach in a gallon of water, scrub what you can off, then let the bleachwater dry on.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Ta, I'll give that a try.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
Last year my AC condenser stopped working. I changed the capacitor myself, and had a professional come out and change the fan motor. At the time he did not change the fan, and I recall him mentioning that it was shaking a bit, but he did something and brought it back and said that would fix it for a while.

I guess a while has come, because my condenser isn't working again. The motor is fine, obviously, but the fan itself was cock-eyed, with one side sticking up so that it would hit the top grill and the other side sitting down on some of the wires, effectively lodging it. I did not think to get a picture of that.

I took the top off and here's how the fan looks:

and here's how it looks when I manually hold the fan up

I'm assuming I need a new fan. Should I attempt it myself--it seems easy enough, but I don't want to gently caress up any of the wiring the guys did last year. Also, any time I look up "how to change fan" I get instructions on how to change the motor.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Palisader posted:

Last year my AC condenser stopped working. I changed the capacitor myself, and had a professional come out and change the fan motor. At the time he did not change the fan, and I recall him mentioning that it was shaking a bit, but he did something and brought it back and said that would fix it for a while.

I guess a while has come, because my condenser isn't working again. The motor is fine, obviously, but the fan itself was cock-eyed, with one side sticking up so that it would hit the top grill and the other side sitting down on some of the wires, effectively lodging it. I did not think to get a picture of that.

I took the top off and here's how the fan looks:

and here's how it looks when I manually hold the fan up

I'm assuming I need a new fan. Should I attempt it myself--it seems easy enough, but I don't want to gently caress up any of the wiring the guys did last year. Also, any time I look up "how to change fan" I get instructions on how to change the motor.

It's not too hard, the only tricky part will be to make sure the new blades have the same angle-- the motor is expecting a certain amount of load and airflow to operate efficiently and cool itself. Also if the condenser has a cowl that the fan sits in, the new one will need to be at the same height as close as you can get it otherwise you might induce turbulence that could reduce airflow and or create undesirable vibrations.

If you have a grainger in town they have a pretty wide selection

http://www.grainger.com/category/condenser-fan-blades/fan-blades-and-propellers/hvac-and-refrigeration/ecatalog/N-jra

Also if you have trouble getting the old center of that fan off, PB blaster works wonders.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Qwijib0 posted:

It's not too hard, the only tricky part will be to make sure the new blades have the same angle-- the motor is expecting a certain amount of load and airflow to operate efficiently and cool itself. Also if the condenser has a cowl that the fan sits in, the new one will need to be at the same height as close as you can get it otherwise you might induce turbulence that could reduce airflow and or create undesirable vibrations.

If you have a grainger in town they have a pretty wide selection

http://www.grainger.com/category/condenser-fan-blades/fan-blades-and-propellers/hvac-and-refrigeration/ecatalog/N-jra

Also if you have trouble getting the old center of that fan off, PB blaster works wonders.

Yup, grainger is where I bought the capacitor last year. Will I need to get any additional parts, or does the center mount and everything come with the fan?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Palisader posted:

Yup, grainger is where I bought the capacitor last year. Will I need to get any additional parts, or does the center mount and everything come with the fan?

you'll need a new hub, just bring in your old one to match the needed diameter.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've got this water hammer that seems to be coming from the laundry room. I'm assuming cold water too, as there's a brand new expansion tank installed for the hot water. The hammer happens pretty much whenever water is used anywhere in the house, intermittent thuds separated by at least a few seconds. Are those little water hammer arrester things made for laundry likely to help, or what should I be looking at here?

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

baquerd posted:

I've got this water hammer that seems to be coming from the laundry room. I'm assuming cold water too, as there's a brand new expansion tank installed for the hot water. The hammer happens pretty much whenever water is used anywhere in the house, intermittent thuds separated by at least a few seconds. Are those little water hammer arrester things made for laundry likely to help, or what should I be looking at here?

Is this something that just started happening or has it been ongoing?

If it's happening on every faucet in the house, I would be suspect of the water pressure. Fixtures usually like 40-60psi.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sirr0bin posted:

Is this something that just started happening or has it been ongoing?

If it's happening on every faucet in the house, I would be suspect of the water pressure. Fixtures usually like 40-60psi.

I just moved in a month ago or so, didn't notice until after moving in of course. Haven't noticed any particular water pressure issues, definitely doesn't seem too high, maybe a little on the low side. I'm 100 yards from a water tower.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

baquerd posted:

I just moved in a month ago or so, didn't notice until after moving in of course. Haven't noticed any particular water pressure issues, definitely doesn't seem too high, maybe a little on the low side. I'm 100 yards from a water tower.

You should quantify that with a water pressure gauge before going though a bunch of things that could be quite time consuming or expensive.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Motronic posted:

You should quantify that with a water pressure gauge before going though a bunch of things that could be quite time consuming or expensive.

Thanks, I'll get one and report back, looks like those are :10bux: cheap.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Does anyone know what this light socket that is over my bathroom mirror is called? It has no serial/model number or anything on it. It's 31.5cm long. The (long lost) tube that was in it had connectors on the side of the tube (like, at 90 degrees to the length of the tube) that fit in the large sockets at either end of the mount.

Feel free to laugh at me if this is a super common light fitting where you are. I'm in Australia and this is the only one I've ever seen.

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
I'm looking for some cheap/free software to sketch up and design cat towers and some furniture, something that could allow me to print up a blueprint to have something to blankly stare at and scratch my rear end while I 'work'. Any suggestions of software that you have used in the past?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GotDonuts posted:

I'm looking for some cheap/free software to sketch up and design cat towers and some furniture, something that could allow me to print up a blueprint to have something to blankly stare at and scratch my rear end while I 'work'. Any suggestions of software that you have used in the past?

What you're looking for is literally called "SketchUp".
http://www.sketchup.com/

Edit:

There's also FreeCAD, I guess.
http://www.freecadweb.org/

KillHour fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 7, 2015

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

Does anyone know what this light socket that is over my bathroom mirror is called? It has no serial/model number or anything on it. It's 31.5cm long. The (long lost) tube that was in it had connectors on the side of the tube (like, at 90 degrees to the length of the tube) that fit in the large sockets at either end of the mount.

Feel free to laugh at me if this is a super common light fitting where you are. I'm in Australia and this is the only one I've ever seen.

There were a surprising amount of bathroom fixtures made with practically custom tubes specific to that manufacturers designs, it is probably not worth your while to try and find one unless you're in love with the fixture.

I'd just replace it.

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
Sketchup looks awesome, thanks for the help!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Autodesk Fusion 360 is also free if you claim you're a student.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

AlphaDog posted:

Wow, that's an odd one. That looks like it takes some type of double ended halogen bulb. Their wattage is linked to their length though. A ~300mm one would be around 1500W, which would be absolutely blinding over a bathroom mirror, so maybe not a halogen.

I don't suppose you have any other of those fixtures in your place do you? What about your neighbors? You could maybe get a better look at an existing bulb, maybe even take it down to the store and match it up.

edit: After looking at it again, I get the feeling that it's missing pieces. You might definitely want to check out a neighbor's fixture just to see if anything is missing.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 7, 2015

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

Safety Dance posted:

Autodesk Fusion 360 is also free if you claim you're a student.

Autodesk Fusion 360 is also a humongous piece of crap and fairly unfriendly to people new to CAD anything.

Sketchup all the way for newbies and non-high-precision stuff.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Qwijib0 posted:

I'd just replace it.

kid sinister posted:

Wow, that's an odd one.

Thanks! Yeah, "replace the fitting" is the next option. The tubes aren't available in the local hardware store or supermarket, but I haven't checked any electrical places or lighting specific stores yet.

This morning, a dude on facebook told me it's an incandescent "Linestra" lamp like this one: http://www.ebay.it/itm/Lampadina-Linestra-LAES-35W-osram-Attacco-Doppio-con-2-Attacchi-30-cm-tipo-neon-/200590134563 and gave me a couple of places to look that might have them. Apparently they were never common here and it's surprising to see one. If there aren't any tubes sold here any more, I'll just replace it, yeah.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 8, 2015

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

AlphaDog posted:

Thanks! Yeah, "replace the fitting" is the next option. The tubes aren't available in the local hardware store or supermarket, but I haven't checked any electrical places or lighting specific stores yet.

This morning, a dude on facebook told me it's an incandescent "Linestra" lamp like this one: http://www.ebay.it/itm/Lampadina-Linestra-LAES-35W-osram-Attacco-Doppio-con-2-Attacchi-30-cm-tipo-neon-/200590134563 and gave me a couple of places to look that might have them. Apparently they were never common here and it's surprising to see one. If there aren't any tubes sold here any more, I'll just replace it, yeah.

Wow. For what it's worth, you could get an LED replacement for it. http://www.buylighting.com/Linestra-Light-Bulbs-s/132.htm

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

kid sinister posted:

Wow. For what it's worth, you could get an LED replacement for it. http://www.buylighting.com/Linestra-Light-Bulbs-s/132.htm

Electrical place didn't have any, but they knew a place that did and sent me there. That place told me that in Australia you can't get the incandescent ones any more so I have the LED replacement for $40. The Mrs is happy and I didn't have to wire anything, so I'm calling this a win.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

Electrical place didn't have any, but they knew a place that did and sent me there. That place told me that in Australia you can't get the incandescent ones any more so I have the LED replacement for $40. The Mrs is happy and I didn't have to wire anything, so I'm calling this a win.

Also, you'll probably never have to replace it again.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

So a couple years ago I had a basement man-cave room remodeled into an office. The old floor was commercial tile over cutback glue straight to the slab. Some asbestos remediation was needed :). For cost, I decided to go with VCT (vinyl composition tile, i.e. grocery store tile) to replace it, and had read *somewhere* that the old cutback glue should be removed with mineral spirits before putting down modern clearset glue.

The flooring subcontractor disagreed, said that the clearset would go over the cutback no problem, and since the other subs had been pretty decent, I trusted him.

Here are some glamor shots of what is happening at the tile joints now:

At first it was a couple of spots here and there, but now whenever it stays wet outside for a couple of days and the slab sucks up more moisture than normal, 1 to 3-inch puddles of clearset+cutback mixture will erupt from the floor sometimes when I step on a tile that doesn't see much traffic, and the little quarter-inch spots will just spontaneously pop up wherever they feel like.

I'm planning on talking to the contractor about this, but I was wondering what the goon prognosis was for my floor. Is this something that can be fixed with the tiles in place, are we going to have to redo the whole floor, or will this eventually stop happening and I'm just being a big sissy?

Also, I'm a bit concerned that the cutback glue might be impregnated with asbestos. It doesn't seem friable, even where the spots have dried out, but is a thing that people really did? The house was built in 1968 if that helps, though the old tile could have been installed pretty much any time between then and, say, 1980.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

AlphaDog posted:

The US is like that too now. Stores can't buy incandescent bulbs to sell them here anymore, but stores can sell their existing stock. Stores knew this ban was coming, so they massively stocked up. I could see why they wouldn't bother stocking specialty bulbs like that though.

I could see this as a problem in the future for certain fixtures even with regular sockets where you just can't cram the fat base of a CFL or LED bulb in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Only standard screw base incandescent bulbs were banned; weird specialty bulbs are generally still legal.