Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

CLAM DOWN posted:

My Tylt Car mount finally arrived and it is the greatest accessory.

I bought one as well. Hoping it mounts to my mountek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

BoyBlunder posted:

What phone are you using it with? I'm wondering about how this'll work with a Nexus 6.

I've posted pics comparing it with my N6 and my old N5. Works great with both. Check my history to see em

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Welp seems IKEA's qi chargers are already available in Finland. Went to pick up the single NORDMÄRKE qi charger, altough I don't even have my qi compatible phone yet :v:

They have pretty cool ideas with the qi charger furniture, and chargers which can be installed inside furniture like tabletops. Wouldn't mind some qi chargers on local bar's counter.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

My Tylt Car mount finally arrived and it is the greatest accessory.

Does it charge or just maintain? I know Qi is neat and all, but I've always felt it's not that great in the car since the screen will most likely be on, running navigation and streaming audio or something. Does it have enough current to actually charge while the phone does stuff, or will it just maintain the current battery level? I'm sure this is highly dependent on the phone being used but am curious. Qi just seems best suited for a nightstand or office desk.

Personally, I am content with the 1 second aggravation of plugging in a wire. QC 2.0 is stupid good...pumps in charging current despite the phone doing all sorts of poo poo on full brightness...and actually charges fast as hell with all this going on. Sure I'd like the futuristic thought of no plugging in, etc, but if the Tylt doesn't actually charge, that's no good.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Speaking of quick charge and cars, how do I sort out a good QC-compatible car charger from all the likely horrible crap on Amazon? Also, one that doesn't stick far out of the cigarette lighter thing would be nice because it's by my shifter.

hooah fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 3, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

hotsauce posted:

Does it charge or just maintain?...
My N5 actually overheated while qi charging once.
Hit day, direct sun, screen on while navigating and streaming audio was apparently too much for it.

Anyway, it does a slight charge in that situation for me. But if I know I need battery now my airdock has a 2a charger and a microUSB plug so I can just plug in directly.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

hooah posted:

Speaking of quick charge and cars, how do I sort out a good QC-compatible car charger from all the likely horrible crap on Amazon? Also, one that doesn't stick far out of the cigarette lighter thing would be nice because it's by my shifter.

This fully looks like horrible crap, but I have it and it works wonderfully:

http://www.amazon.com/Getwow-Adaptive-Charger-Adapter-Motorola/dp/B00Q0WTOXQ/

No clue what "GETWOW" is all about, but it's a legit QC 2.0 charger. I have two - one in my car, one in my travel bag for rental cars.

Edit: I guess it sticks out too far for you. I don't think a tiny button-shaped QC charger is possible yet, but who knows.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

What phone are you using it with? I'm wondering about how this'll work with a Nexus 6.

Nexus 6 with Diztronic case. It's a really tight fit, because this phone is massive, but it works.

hotsauce posted:

Does it charge or just maintain? I know Qi is neat and all, but I've always felt it's not that great in the car since the screen will most likely be on, running navigation and streaming audio or something. Does it have enough current to actually charge while the phone does stuff, or will it just maintain the current battery level? I'm sure this is highly dependent on the phone being used but am curious. Qi just seems best suited for a nightstand or office desk.

Personally, I am content with the 1 second aggravation of plugging in a wire. QC 2.0 is stupid good...pumps in charging current despite the phone doing all sorts of poo poo on full brightness...and actually charges fast as hell with all this going on. Sure I'd like the futuristic thought of no plugging in, etc, but if the Tylt doesn't actually charge, that's no good.

It does actually charge. I had it in the car with screen on for navigation and music playing over bluetooth, and Ampere showed my overall flow as charging at ~100 mA or so. I agree using a wire is not that inconvenient, but combining bluetooth audio in my car with Qi? gently caress, this setup totally wins. If I didn't actively use navigation which is obviously a big drain, it would charge at a very decent rate.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Ihmemies posted:

Welp seems IKEA's qi chargers are already available in Finland. Went to pick up the single NORDMÄRKE qi charger, altough I don't even have my qi compatible phone yet :v:

They have pretty cool ideas with the qi charger furniture, and chargers which can be installed inside furniture like tabletops. Wouldn't mind some qi chargers on local bar's counter.

I need a new sofa, they should hurry up and get a charger in one.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
One of the good things about the iOttie Easyflex Wireless charger is you can mount it right above one of your AC vents, dangle the charger part over the vent, and your phone gets cooled while running everything and getting charged at the same time. I don't think there's a vent mount wireless charger pad yet.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

hotsauce posted:

Does it charge or just maintain?

I have the Samsung Qi charger, which is likely the same for power as the Tylt, with my S6. If I'm using GPS it generally just maintains it but if I'm streaming a video or the screen is merely on, it definitely does charge it. As mentioned it can get warm when charging through Qi and being used in sunlight but I used mine yesterday in 30ish Celsius with the sun beating on my phone without any overheating issues.

Wireless charging in the car is definitely an unnecessary commodity but it sure is nice not to have to plug my phone in and mount it every time.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hotsauce posted:

This fully looks like horrible crap, but I have it and it works wonderfully:

http://www.amazon.com/Getwow-Adaptive-Charger-Adapter-Motorola/dp/B00Q0WTOXQ/

No clue what "GETWOW" is all about, but it's a legit QC 2.0 charger. I have two - one in my car, one in my travel bag for rental cars.

Edit: I guess it sticks out too far for you. I don't think a tiny button-shaped QC charger is possible yet, but who knows.

Thanks. I'll have to actually measure to see what kind of height I can stand; I've likely just been spoiled with a button-sized regular one. Hell, I'm not really even sure I need quick charging in my car anyhow...

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Since we're talking about Qi charging, one time (I think only once) I put my phone on my Tylt Vu for charging overnight and when I woke up it was super warm and also not charged. Did I just set it down wrong on there? It only happened the once and I charge it every night so I guess it's not defective or anything, but it was kinda strange.

Also, does the cable matter when using quick charge or just the adapter itself? I use the cord that came with the charger for the one I have, but I was looking at that car one linked above and it looks good, I just don't know if the cord matters. I have a "charge only" cord I use right now.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

myron cope posted:

Since we're talking about Qi charging, one time (I think only once) I put my phone on my Tylt Vu for charging overnight and when I woke up it was super warm and also not charged. Did I just set it down wrong on there? It only happened the once and I charge it every night so I guess it's not defective or anything, but it was kinda strange.

It happens to mine sometimes. It seems like it charges to full and then just stops without trickle charging back up, waking up with 95%. As mentioned I'm using an S6 but I've noticed it with a couple Qi pads, including the old Samsung square pad and some cheap Chinese one

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Apparently the current version of ART is a placeholder?

http://www.androidauthority.com/art-optimizing-compiler-605011/

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

I've got a dead-stock Nexus 5 that I've had since launch and has never been factory reset. I'm experiencing all sorts of battery weirdness so I went to factory reset it. It churned on "erasing" for a few minutes and then gave me the android on its back with the red triangle/exclamation mark. I held power+vol down and went to go to recovery, at which point it went back to "erasing" and has been sitting there for 5 minutes or so.

What the hell do I do?

EDIT: After about 10 minutes it started booting. Odd. Since it had weirdness in the middle of the process should I factory reset it again?

amenenema fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 3, 2015

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Anyone else with a Note 4 not getting updated temperature information on the lock screen? It's stuck at 69 no matter where I am or what the temperature actually is.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

My wife just got her Tylt car charger today. Seems to work great with her Nexus 6 with case . Qi just owns so much, I pity those who still use wires like cavemen.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Tylt Vu is incredible as well, I'm considering ordering like 3 more it's so good. Can't believe I'm only getting in on these now.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="444865953"]
Anyone else with a Note 4 not getting updated temperature information on the lock screen? It's stuck at 69 no matter where I am or what the temperature actually is.

That's a feature, not a bug

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently the current version of ART is a placeholder?

http://www.androidauthority.com/art-optimizing-compiler-605011/

The article is about the ahead of time compiler being rebuilt, not ART. When they switched to ART, apps now compile for your phones architecture at installation time instead of right before it gets run. Pretty cool stuff.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Tylt Vu is incredible as well, I'm considering ordering like 3 more it's so good. Can't believe I'm only getting in on these now.

drat you a baller son, thats like $300 in charging devices.

I like wireless charging but the one I got at the Verizon store is temperamental as gently caress, you have to set the phone down just right. I'm guessing these are as pricey as they are because you can just set the phone down on it however and it starts charging without having to mess with it?

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
This was probably discussed back when Lollipop was first released, but what's up with only having a "Power Off" option and no "Restart?" Any way to get Restart back as an option?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
There's no compelling reason to restart under ideal conditions. You can easily have multi-month uptime if there's no updates or memory leaks. You can get Restart back by rooting and changing to a rom with that as an option.

So basically no, there's no way to get it back. If it bothers you greatly for some reason, send in feedback and hope I guess.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DemonMage posted:

There's no compelling reason to restart under ideal conditions. You can easily have multi-month uptime if there's no updates or memory leaks. You can get Restart back by rooting and changing to a rom with that as an option.

So basically no, there's no way to get it back. If it bothers you greatly for some reason, send in feedback and hope I guess.

Ideal conditions on a device where there was a multi-month bug that required weekly, sometimes 2-3 times a week, restarts.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I'm pretty sure vanilla android has never had the restart option.

If your manufacturer used to include a restart option but no longer does, that would be a question for that manufacturer.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rastor posted:

I'm pretty sure vanilla android has never had the restart option.

If your manufacturer used to include a restart option but no longer does, that would be a question for that manufacturer.

Vanilla Android had some Safe Mode version and you could restart into that.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

Vanilla Android had some Safe Mode version and you could restart into that.

FYI you still can, you need to long press on the power off option and it'll bring up a prompt.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah we've got three of those too. There's no way I'd ever own a non-Qi device, it's just too important to do without.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Someone just sold a G2x for $40 in TYOOL 2015.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

butt dickus posted:

Maybe they needed a trade in phone?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

butt dickus posted:

He sold that phone for $80 more than it was worth.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

We actually installed wireless charging spots on the counters at my coffee shop. The company that provided them even sells little USB adapters so that non-QI phones can charge wirelessly, and people are blown away by it.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Does anyone have an experience installing a tempered glass screen protector on a larger phone? My Ascend Mate 2 came with a normal one factory installed that got a VERY annoying scratch over the weekend (some stupid rear end vertical scratch that reflects a rainbow of light at the right angle :argh:)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

butt dickus posted:

I'm surprised you can get actual dollars for a phone that can't even custom ROM to KitKat.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I'm surprised you can get actual dollars for a phone that can't even custom ROM to KitKat. was so loving awful that it was subject to a class-action lawsuit and subsequent settlement.

Fixed for you.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Captain Yossarian posted:

Does anyone have an experience installing a tempered glass screen protector on a larger phone? My Ascend Mate 2 came with a normal one factory installed that got a VERY annoying scratch over the weekend (some stupid rear end vertical scratch that reflects a rainbow of light at the right angle :argh:)

Glass on top of glass is a bad idea

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Glass on top of glass is a bad idea

Not really. They're usually ridiculously easy to install and I've seen so many that crack when dropped by the OEM glass remains mint. That and they usually provide a smoother feel to it and don't leave finger prints (make sure you get one with oleophobic coating).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

Not really. They're usually ridiculously easy to install and I've seen so many that crack when dropped by the OEM glass remains mint. That and they usually provide a smoother feel to it and don't leave finger prints (make sure you get one with oleophobic coating).
You can't really prove that the OEM glass would have broken in the same drop. Something tells me that glass screen protectors aren't really using the same quality glass as OEMs. But they're probably a better idea than lovely plastic film ones.

When I sold my G2x ages ago, I felt bad for the guy I sold it to. I can't believe anyone would willingly spend money on one in 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I've replaced two tempered glass screen protectors this year alone due to a fall. Underlying phone was perfectly intact.

They're amazing.