Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

anthonypants posted:

I like how the knee-jerk reaction is to blame Dell, instead of using it as evidence to your management that you need a space to work.

This was at a client site.

Dell should 100% have a loving option to mute that loving alarm since they require the error messages to send out warranty parts and it is seriously loud and completely loving useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ratbert90 posted:

Haha that's not illegal at all! Unless it's a paid internship, but if it's not; it's probably quite illegal what your company is doing. :v:

What isn't legal?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

What isn't legal?

He's implying that you're getting actual value out of an unpaid intern. Which there have been a few high profile lawsuits about, but tons of companies still do it.

That being said, if it's a paid intern, his comment is irrelevant.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Inspector_666 posted:

This was at a client site.

Dell should 100% have a loving option to mute that loving alarm since they require the error messages to send out warranty parts and it is seriously loud and completely loving useless.
If you need to be in the Dell pre-boot diagnostics to troubleshoot a hardware problem, maybe you should swap the computer out first? Take the bad machine off the floor before you run the diagnostic.

If you still desperately need to annoy everyone else on the floor while you find a pen and paper or bring up the camera on your phone or whatever, just mash the OK button when the alarm sounds and recover the error code from the diagnostic event log.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

At the risk of aging myself

Yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep.

Uh huh, uh huh, uh huh.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

anthonypants posted:

If you need to be in the Dell pre-boot diagnostics to troubleshoot a hardware problem, maybe you should swap the computer out first? Take the bad machine off the floor before you run the diagnostic.

While I appreciate your idealism, it's woefully misplaced.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Best boss I ever had quit this week, it sucks but he is using soundboards to answer any calls he has before his last day and giving me a 30k raise.

Still not sure how I feel about this.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

What fire is he leaving behind for you to put out?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

thelightguy posted:

What fire is he leaving behind for you to put out?

None really I got promoted to Cloud Architect. I'm left alone and told "poo poo can be done better so you have the keys and make it that way, tell me why you want to do X and just do it". It's been this way for the past 8 months, I just got a raise finally.

I have complete freedom at my current job hence me not posting much here anymore(well that and I travel/workout with our DBA do conventions dressing up as various things fomr photoshoots, money, and girls). Basically I am rebuilding our SAN environment, reconstructing our blade infrastructure, consolidating our SQL infrastructure, implementing much automaton, and being the guy Applications team, SQL team, Dev team, network, and systems, go through to get poo poo done as quickly and efficiently as possible.

It's funny before I got here it took days to provision a new VM server, I set up orchestration and some other stuff so now it happens in a few minutes

If I move to AZ I get a min 50k raise, still not sure about it but tilted kilt is awesome, but not sure if I like all that heat. That and I'd actually have to show up before 10:30 everyday which blows rear end. That and I can't go up to DC and get wasted every night with the <insert_3_letter_title_here> on the company.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

Unrelated, and out of the blue, but I've been enjoying sitting around doing nothing (got the new-to-me Brandon Sanderson book, it's like a million pages),

If it's the Stormlight books, I envy you getting to read them for the first time. That's good readin'.

Congratulations on your (f)unemployment. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

None really I got promoted to Cloud Architect. I'm left alone and told "poo poo can be done better so you have the keys and make it that way, tell me why you want to do X and just do it". It's been this way for the past 8 months, I just got a raise finally.

I have complete freedom at my current job hence me not posting much here anymore(well that and I travel/workout with our DBA do conventions dressing up as various things fomr photoshoots, money, and girls). Basically I am rebuilding our SAN environment, reconstructing our blade infrastructure, consolidating our SQL infrastructure, implementing much automaton, and being the guy Applications team, SQL team, Dev team, network, and systems, go through to get poo poo done as quickly and efficiently as possible.

It's funny before I got here it took days to provision a new VM server, I set up orchestration and some other stuff so now it happens in a few minutes

If I move to AZ I get a min 50k raise, still not sure about it but tilted kilt is awesome, but not sure if I like all that heat. That and I'd actually have to show up before 10:30 everyday which blows rear end. That and I can't go up to DC and get wasted every night with the <insert_3_letter_title_here> on the company.
:iamafag:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tilted Kilt is literally a chain. It's ok, but on the same level as Twin Peaks or other "boobs in your face" chains. Nothing wrong with that per se, but there are much better places to go in Phoenix if you wind up here.

Also, if you wind up here, message me. I am and always have been a serious eater and gym rat. I can show you better places to drink, better places to eat, and better places to work out.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
No complaints other than my boss leaving. I worked hard to get where I am, might as well stop and smell the roses as they say.

evol262 posted:

Tilted Kilt is literally a chain. It's ok, but on the same level as Twin Peaks or other "boobs in your face" chains. Nothing wrong with that per se, but there are much better places to go in Phoenix if you wind up here.

Also, if you wind up here, message me. I am and always have been a serious eater and gym rat. I can show you better places to drink, better places to eat, and better places to work out.

I was out there last week, AZ is kinda cool not sure if I want to move their over Charlotte though.

East coast has more Cons that I can get paid to go to so eh.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 3, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

East coast has more Cons that I can get paid to go to so eh.

Vegas is conference central. And Seattle is getting more and more, as is LA.

I'd rather be in Raleigh than Charlotte, but Central Phoenix is booming gentrification. If you were in Tempe or something, you missed it. Next time you're out here, I'll drag you into the city

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

Vegas is conference central. And Seattle is getting more and more, as is LA.

I'd rather be in Raleigh than Charlotte, but Central Phoenix is booming gentrification. If you were in Tempe or something, you missed it. Next time you're out here, I'll drag you into the city

See you in a few weeks then, like seriously I go there once a month after June! Already offered a few jobs in Raleigh to nimble/emc/vmware, just looking at Varrow/Peak10 right now since they both offered me my price range just thinking about it now. Charlotte just has my friends down there where we were ranked in the top 15 of TF2 in the world. That and they have good job offers @ a 30% decrease in living on where I am now

Sorry but the vendors I travel with are based out of my office-I mean east coast area. Next time I am out there let's use my corporate card up!

IDK working out with my DBA and being told to get fit and in shape is fun then I get paid to go to conventions(see you goons at Otakon, there are a lot more but that is the biggest) and stuff, man is it fun.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 3, 2015

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

evol262 posted:

Yeah I live less than 5 miles from a Tilted Kilt, a Hooters, a Twin Peaks, and a Wild Pitch. Boobs in your face is a thriving industry in North-DFW.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah I live less than 5 miles from a Tilted Kilt, a Hooters, a Twin Peaks, and a Wild Pitch. Boobs in your face is a thriving industry in North-DFW.

5 miles. 30 minute drive. Ugh Dallas.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Scaramouche posted:

The Question: Anyone imported anything into the Sage Timberline Estimating product database (also known as Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate now)? Their main concern is that they can create an initial spec in the Sage product, but it all goes pear-shaped when it goes out to their contractors, who submit their actual cost information using different codes/not using Sage, which means currently they have to be manually entered. All I know about Sage is that it's a flat file database, and apparently ships with an ODBC connector but other than that I've got nothin. I'm also aware of the "Sage Timberline Office Connector Import" product, but they've already been in touch with that vendor and apparently that's a no go.

I administer an Estimating setup, but have never done anything at file-level with the revision database (I'm assuming you're talking about a pei.dat file?). That said, the few times I've delved into the Sage settings files, which was mostly to push out a customized setting for which database to open, it was all just XML, so it's outwardly possible the pei file is also just XML. I'd look but I have the VMs down at the moment as I'm upgrading the storage switch firmware (haven't yet set up redundant switches at this client so upgrade currently requires total downtime, though good news is redundant switch is in the budget for....two months from now oh well).

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Given Dilbert's post, I'm not sure he's allowed ITT anymore. :colbert:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Hey, our toilet isn't working, it overflows when we flush it. What should we do??

I don't know submit a ticket to IT I guess?

Eh, sounds good to me!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Maybe it's one of those japanese toilets with a bunch of buttons and it needs troubleshooting by a skilled techician

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Not pissing me off: I'm in Chicago for the Microsoft Ignite conference, currently at a Cubs game with a bunch of SharePoint geeks.
Any other goons here this week?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
poo poo pissing me off: aside from working on a Sunday, HP's ProBook "recovery" DVDs aren't actually bootable, so if the hard drive fails and needs to be replaced hope you have a Windows 7 DVD/USB drive around. What's the point of having an "operating system DVD" if it requires you to already have an operating system to use?

This all ignores the initial problem of not having standardized images for our laptops.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sheep posted:

poo poo pissing me off: aside from working on a Sunday, HP's ProBook "recovery" DVDs aren't actually bootable, so if the hard drive fails and needs to be replaced hope you have a Windows 7 DVD/USB drive around. What's the point of having an "operating system DVD" if it requires you to already have an operating system to use?

This all ignores the initial problem of not having standardized images for our laptops.

This disc?

It's bootable and stock win7..

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

tomapot posted:

Not pissing me off: I'm in Chicago for the Microsoft Ignite conference, currently at a Cubs game with a bunch of SharePoint geeks.
Any other goons here this week?

My boss said we would go in January and then a few times a month I'd ask him about and he'd say "maybe" and then finally he said "welp all the hotels are sold out I guess we're not going." It's like, why the gently caress do you think I kept asking you about it?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

FISHMANPET posted:

My boss said we would go in January and then a few times a month I'd ask him about and he'd say "maybe" and then finally he said "welp all the hotels are sold out I guess we're not going." It's like, why the gently caress do you think I kept asking you about it?

I had someone from another team ask about registration a few weeks ago. They sold out over a month ago, no chance. I asked MS for pass but by the time we found one the travel hotels was too expensive. These things sell out too quick, you have to jump on it the first month it opens.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

Sheep posted:

You think that's bad, you have to enter no key into windows vista, install 65874365892 updates, then key in for the key to work. winvista win7, partion software fight each other too, its glorious.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

mewse posted:

This disc?

It's bootable and stock win7..

Weird, ours don't boot, nor do the Windows 8 ones.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sheep posted:

Weird, ours don't boot, nor do the Windows 8 ones.

If you're able to use bootable USB, use the microsoft "usb dvd download tool" to turn the bootable dvd into a bootable usb.

You want to use the bootable HP dvd because it will install activated on HP machines that have a win7 license.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mewse posted:

If you're able to use bootable USB, use the microsoft "usb dvd download tool" to turn the bootable dvd into a bootable usb.
Don't use that, use rufus instead: https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

anthonypants posted:

Don't use that, use rufus instead: https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Why? The Microsoft thing is way simpler and RUFUS ain't any faster.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
VMware store interlude.

Alright, so, nevermind.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

^ ^ ^ There's something new and hilariously disturbing every time I look at that.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Why? The Microsoft thing is way simpler and RUFUS ain't any faster.

Rufus is both more versatile (can make boot disks for more things than just Windows PE) and more reliable (doesn't take a dump when it's time to make the thing bootable and can make something that actually WORKS for EFI bootpaths).

Alternately for Windows 8 on make the thing bootable yourself (which requires a command in DiskPart and a command outside DiskPart, hence more work than Rufus) and just copy the contents of the ISO over. This works with EFI bootpaths, unlike 7, where doing that is kind of a pain unless you have an existing Windows 7 environment.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 4, 2015

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
An ESXi host died, and two VMs rebooted while failing over. That sucks, but here's what pisses me off:
  • poo poo documentation on the server. No rack information, but at least it had the Dell service code, I guess? I had a good guess where it was, but sometimes it's nice to know things.
  • No iDRAC access. We've got a ton of Dell servers out there, but any information pertaining to iDRAC access is kept highly classified. In fact, it's such a mystery, the on-call admin we called couldn't find it. He'll deal with it in the morning.
  • No physical access. After peering through the racks in our "HIPAA environment", I found a Dell server with an amber LCD complaining about CPU1. But the location of the keys to get inside these racks are also highly classified. Tried a bunch of the unmarked keys in our key cabinet, but they didn't seem to work.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sir Unimaginative posted:

^ ^ ^ There's something new and hilariously disturbing every time I look at that.
Business up top, party on the bottom.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Boss's kid is interning. he's not even here 5 minutes and puts a helpdesk ticket in:

Please install Google Chrome

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Boss's kid is interning. he's not even here 5 minutes and puts a helpdesk ticket in:

Please install Google Chrome

Maybe that's a good thing? Knowing some of the interns that have graced previous employers they would have googled Google Chrome, scrolled past the first 6 pages of legitimate downloads and then downloaded it from files.ru.lolz or something and messed everything up.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Maybe that's a good thing? Knowing some of the interns that have graced previous employers they would have googled Google Chrome, scrolled past the first 6 pages of legitimate downloads and then downloaded it from files.ru.lolz or something and messed everything up.

We have it locked down so they can't install software. He quit after 3 days last year so we'll see. It's more of he's going to be looking for sports car pictures for 3 hours to use as his desktop wallpaper and not actually do any work.

- POSTED WHILE SURFING SOMETHINGAWFUL.COM INTERNET FORUMS AT WORK

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Just reply with "Please justify which office duties require the use of Google Chrome, and why <Current Browser> is not sufficient." and wash your hands of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
"Our current cybersecurity policies do not allow anything else besides the Internet Explorer 6, which is the safest browser for work environments"