Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Primus posted:

Welp. Time for AA to correct this clearly biased article!

It's pretty much as supportive of their plight and protests as stories about this I've been posting on Facebook, both in English and in Hebrew. This is an example of a situation that is actually a big deal, and which false accusations of sterilization and genocide (which, notably, the protestors aren't making) would just obfuscate.

But keep giving Hasbara shills a coup by saying unsubstantiated and false nonsense and thus help them cover up for these real atrocities, I guess. :shrug:

ETA: March 20, 43BC – Publius Ovidius Naso (Ovid), Roman poet, is born.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I started making hibiscus rice with a little bit of lime and mint. If you put that in a grape leaf w/ some lamb or goat or hamburger, you've got a respectable dolma. Hibiscus owns.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

you have posted this before, but i will allow it

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

false accusations of sterilization and genocide

I like the subtle attempt at trying to spin forced sterilization of an ethnicity as not being genocide.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Randler posted:

I like the subtle attempt at trying to spin forced sterilization of an ethnicity as not being genocide.

I am separating the claims: you and your like are lying when you say individuals were sterilized, and you your like are lying even further when you are saying so many were sterilized systematically and with the intent to eliminate a population as to amount to genocide. I have heard these lies separately in the wild, so I am addressing them separately.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

John Cena is dead to me

I mean he already was because he sucks but more so now

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

false accusations of sterilization
Spoken as the worst Alhazred.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Raskolnikov38 posted:

John Cena is dead to me

I mean he already was because he sucks but more so now

Wrestling fans are at about the same level as anime fans on the nerd hierarchy these days

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Alhazred posted:

Spoken as the worst Alhazred.

Spoken as someone who actually knows and is addressing the facts, as opposed to libel and false accusations.

But keep whitesplaining to Ethiopian Jews what their grievances with the Israeli government are. :allears:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I am separating the claims: you and your like are lying when you say individuals were sterilized, and you your like are lying even further when you are saying so many were sterilized systematically and with the intent to eliminate a population as to amount to genocide. I have heard these lies separately in the wild, so I am addressing them separately.

Ah, the good old "I'm just trying to logicall structure things, you guys" gambit. :allears:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Randler posted:

Ah, the good old "I'm just trying to logicall structure things, you guys" gambit. :allears:

Is that a good old anything, or is that the best your antisemitic mind can come up with now? Aren't you going to find another rationale to hate me? I remember before this came up you accused me of being a GiP poster, and that's why you're hating on me. Fact of the matter is your an antisemite and like finally being in a position, as a German, to spread hate against Jews with social legitimacy, which you can't currently do at home, as people there still remember the Holocaust, that your ancestors perpetrated.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Wrestling fans are at about the same level as anime fans on the nerd hierarchy these days

I am willing to put them below anime fans

and my dislike of anime is a matter of record

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

oh my god this website is amazing

aside from the fact that the guy also writes books on how to obtain software patents (because of course) his origin story is pretty much what you'd expect. read the fountainhead/atlus shrugged as a teenager, worshiped ayn rand. reckoned himself a child prodigy. met with failure in life and had a mental breakdown. his therapist told him to dabble in philosophy to improve his mental health, so he read the rest of ayn rand's corpus. concluded that to be truly happy, one must not just be a rich rear end in a top hat, but a rich rear end in a top hat who meditates. rejects buddhist notions of abandoning attachment to the material world because of course.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
jesus christ i woke up with my knee hurting a ton and it still does

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Spoken as someone who actually knows and is addressing the facts, as opposed to libel and false accusations.

But keep whitesplaining to Ethiopian Jews what their grievances with the Israeli government are. :allears:

So Ethiopian jews wasn't given contraception without them knowing about it?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is that a good old anything, or is that the best your antisemitic mind can come up with now? Aren't you going to find another rationale to hate me? I remember before this came up you accused me of being a GiP poster, and that's why you're hating on me. Fact of the matter is your an antisemite and like finally being in a position, as a German, to spread hate against Jews with social legitimacy, which you can't currently do at home, as people there still remember the Holocaust, that your ancestors perpetrated.

I think describing Randler as an antisemite is a little reductionist; Randler just hates all non-Catholics and most Catholics for not being Catholic enough, including the Pope, although the staunch Teutonic nature of Randler means she can't express this dangerously anti-authoritarian perspective.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

oh word?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

CoolCab posted:

I think describing Randler as an antisemite is a little reductionist; Randler just hates all non-Catholics and most Catholics for not being Catholic enough, including the Pope, although the staunch Teutonic nature of Randler means she can't express this dangerously anti-authoritarian perspective.

and slavs

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Fact of the matter is your an antisemite

Citation needed

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I'd say AA is overreacting, but Randler is disgusting enough that he might actually be right

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Right, and slavs. And Jamaicans for some reason. But mostly protestants.

That's Our Randler!

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

CoolCab posted:

Right, and slavs. And Jamaicans for some reason. But mostly protestants.

That's Our Randler!

i really dont understand how randler still has a clean rap sheet

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Jagchosis posted:

and no redtext

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
superior German posting engineering

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jagchosis posted:

slavish devotion to authority, and i mean "like a slave" not "like a slav", obviously

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

only bad posters give out red titles and they recognise randler as one of their own

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

R. Mute posted:

only bad posters give out red titles and they recognise randler as one of their own

you should join next time we have dadchat ck2, it is barrels of fun

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Jagchosis posted:

Never actually having done the stuff I get accused of helps.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

and no redtext

this would be a good one

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

R. Mute posted:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
fwiw i think randler is a net positive. she's okay, i disagree with her a lot but she's funny when she does? basically all i'm asking for in a poster

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

we still pretending germans are gendered?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

PupsOfWar posted:

we still pretending germans are gendered?

wow, germans are super progressive

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Alhazred posted:

So Ethiopian jews wasn't given contraception without them knowing about it?

This letter of complaint sent by the Association for Civil Rights in Israel, on behalf of "Association for Civil Rights in Israel (ACRI), Isha L’Isha – Haifa Feminist Center, Tebeka – Advocacy for Equality and Justice for Ethiopian-Israelis, Israel Association for Ethiopian Jews, Physicians for Human Rights – Israel, and Tmura – Legal Center for the Prevention of Discrimination", from 2013, is the latest actual listing of accusations leveled. You will not find the terms "genocide" or "sterilization" there.

As to your specific question, most of the report focuses on two aspects: the fact that women were not properly informed of the side effects of Depo Provera, and that they were not informed of alternatives, even though those are widely available in Israel, including to Ethiopian women (and most of the latter who use contraception use a monthly pill).

The only sentence raising the concern that you are raising is: "[s]ome of them were not even told that this is a birth-control measure". Which to me states that this was an issue for only a minority of these women.

Again, I cannot stress this enough, even without that sentence this would be a huge breach of medical ethics for all of those involved, and particularly by those in the Joint who seem to have been the originators of this issue. With that sentence it is even worse. But even being given contraceptives without knowing it is not sterilization, because it is reversible as soon as that is discovered. It would be different if they were being forced or not being informed about having their tubes tied. Which, to the best of my knowledge, has not happened.

But as things stand, it is not sterilization, and it is not genocide. It is simply another of many instances of the systemic racism and prejudice that Ethiopians face in Israel, which has come to a head now, although if you lot had actually bothered listening to what I'd been saying for the past month, you'd know this was coming a long while ago.

Your monomaniacal focus on this one instance and the inappropriate inflammatory language you use about it is a detriment to any discussion of this issue. Again, Ethiopians are rising in protest and are not talking about this; if your interpretation of the situation were true, this is all they would be talking about. I suggest you cease from whitesplaining to them.

And with that I have no interest in addressing this issue further, and I will proceed to ignore it when it comes up.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Absurd Alhazred posted:

And with that I have no interest in addressing this issue further, and I will proceed to ignore it when it comes up.

lmao taking bets on this

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Jagchosis posted:

boringly inoffensive

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

I'll believe this article was written in good faith when Al Jazeera publishes a report on Saudi and Qatari women rallying against religious police.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Depo-Provera can't melt Ethiopian Jews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jagchosis posted:

Mods not Jewish enough. :shrug:

• Locked thread