Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
That happened to me too. I ended up connecting my phone via USB. It felt pretty weird to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
I clicked on the 'x' and removed my unread count for this forum. How do I get it back?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Viewing the thread again will reset the "last seen" post again.

If not the try clicking the post-it note icon to the left of any post.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So how am I supposed to use the new photo app since all the collating into events I had done in the previous app over the last 4 years has been seemingly rendered null and void?

neuralyzer
Dec 14, 2004
Pablo Picasso
A Photos question which I haven't seen in the last few pages--is there seriously no way to shuffle photos in a slideshow? Best I can find is to uncheck the "keep listed by date" option, but that's not really shuffling. Disappointed since that's the only thing keeping me from switching.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CaptainCrunch posted:

However it seems to have stalled on the upload. It's been saying 5,764 photos left to upload for about 3 days now.

Anyone else experiencing stalled uploads? Any ideas on a solution?

Is your network still showing activity? When I uploaded my library the X photos left was all over the loving place. Took like a whole week for around 10k photos and s few hundred videos.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I never figured out how to connect my Mac to my NAS, but today I managed it. Problem is the NAS still isn’t recognized as an external drive, so I can’t use things like Time Machine with it.

I also mounted the Files folder on the drive (the rest are just empty legacy folders) using Finder, but nothing seems to have changed as a result. As said, I don’t really get a lot about external drives and OS X.

I can only connect to the MyBookWorld drive - not the _backup drive. I don’t know whether it’s because it’s in RAID0 that it detects the two drives.

I guess it’s possible the drive just doesn’t support OS X - or vice versa.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

So what happens when you select that drive in Time Machine and click Use Disk? Check the console logs.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ufarn posted:

I never figured out how to connect my Mac to my NAS, but today I managed it. Problem is the NAS still isn’t recognized as an external drive, so I can’t use things like Time Machine with it.

I also mounted the Files folder on the drive (the rest are just empty legacy folders) using Finder, but nothing seems to have changed as a result. As said, I don’t really get a lot about external drives and OS X.

I can only connect to the MyBookWorld drive - not the _backup drive. I don’t know whether it’s because it’s in RAID0 that it detects the two drives.

I guess it’s possible the drive just doesn’t support OS X - or vice versa.

The drive with -Backup on it is the WD software serving it up as a Time Machine share. The other is all the "normal" AFP/SMB shares. It's not reporting two different drives, it's listing two different services. You attach to the AFP/SMB shares. Only Time Machine can connect the -Backup share (as it can per your screenshot).

ufarn
May 30, 2009

phosdex posted:

So what happens when you select that drive in Time Machine and click Use Disk? Check the console logs.

Where do I view the logs?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ufarn posted:

Where do I view the logs?

Have you actually assigned the time machine share that shows up as available in Time Machine and let it do a backup? If you do, it will look something like this:

EDIT: I just checked WD support site. The MyBook World and MyBook World II both support Time Machine. You need to make sure you aren't authenticated as Guest would be my next guess. When you highlight the share with -Backup in Finder, it should say connect as: <user>. If it says Guest you aren't connected correctly. It should have the username you set up in the MyBook World config.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 1, 2015

ufarn
May 30, 2009

flosofl posted:

Have you actually assigned the time machine share that shows up as available in Time Machine and let it do a backup? If you do, it will look something like this:

I haven’t been able to configure anything beyond that

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ufarn posted:

I haven’t been able to configure anything beyond that

Go to finder and select the "-Backup" share. Who does it say you are connected as? If it says "Guest" you need to hit the "connect as" button and use the username/password you set up in config program and save to your keychain.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

flosofl posted:

Go to finder and select the "-Backup" share. Who does it say you are connected as? If it says "Guest" you need to hit the "connect as" button and use the username/password you set up in config program and save to your keychain.
Yeah that’s the one i plain couldn’t connect to:

When I click Connect As, the button blinks, but that’s that. Feels bugged somehow.

Earlier today, I basically granted blanket access to the drive, so there shouldn’t be any finicky permission problems.

Again, that step worked perfectly fine on the other drive, but the -Backup thing is borked.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

There is an default app called Console that'll show you all your logs. Finder version of the drive is the samba/cifs share and the Time Machine would be the afp I believe here. Try doing from Finder, Command + K to connect to server and putting in afp://serverip.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
This seems to be the only related log:

kernel[0] AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: Restoring session /Volumes/Files
kernel[0] AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: get the reconnect token
KernelEventAgent[97] tid 54485244 received event(s) VQ_NOTRESP (1)

But the full log is at http://pastebin.com/Yrftisxd

I’d already mounted the one drive via Connect to Server. Its IP is 192.168.1.2, but that just lets me connect to the one WD share - the other is still elusive.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

JHVH-1 posted:

I really hate the scam popups that show up sometimes telling me my mac has a virus and it has a phone number to call and then if you close the popup it just re-opens really quickly.
I re-installed glimmer blocker since I had never put it on this machine, and closing the dialog and tab really quick got rid of it.

I kinda want to call the number, 844-262-6418, and gently caress with the people. Like pretend I have them walk me through their scam but use a linux machine or something so whatever they give in their phone script would never work.

Try this: http://www.adwaremedic.com and also reset your browser history, cache, etc.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ufarn posted:

This seems to be the only related log:

kernel[0] AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: Restoring session /Volumes/Files
kernel[0] AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: get the reconnect token
KernelEventAgent[97] tid 54485244 received event(s) VQ_NOTRESP (1)

But the full log is at http://pastebin.com/Yrftisxd

I’d already mounted the one drive via Connect to Server. Its IP is 192.168.1.2, but that just lets me connect to the one WD share - the other is still elusive.

quote:

01/05/15 23:23:34,424 com.apple.prefs.backup.remoteservice[32009] Error while confirming network destination: Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=64 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 64.)" (kOTSerialFramingErr / EHOSTDOWN: / Host is down)
Looks like the TimeMachine service isn't running or is refusing your connection.

I actually use the MyCloud EX2, but in the config web-app, I had to give the user I set up rights to the TimeMachine share. Other than that there's no other setting I can see for turning the service on or off.

Here what I have running the mount command in terminal (note *networked* TimeMachine volumes are only mounted when a backup is being attempted):

quote:

//USERID@WDMyCloudEX2._afpovertcp._tcp.local/USERID on /Volumes/USERID (afpfs, nodev, nosuid, mounted by USERID)
//USERID@WDMyCloudEX2_AFP_TimeMachineBackup._afpovertcp._tcp.local./TimeMachineBackup on /Volumes/TimeMachineBackup (afpfs, nobrowse)

EDIT: wow the [code] tag breaks the poo poo out of margins.

EDIT p. DUEX: Make sure you actually have AFP turned on in the config. TimeMachine will not work if it's off.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 2, 2015

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Hey everybody i recently got a new macbook and yosemite is installed on it and I was wondering if there was a better way to sort files by date added. I hate hate hate that it groups them in today, yesterday, last seven days etc. instead of just one continuous list with the most recent at the top. help

thanks

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

uggy posted:

Hey everybody i recently got a new macbook and yosemite is installed on it and I was wondering if there was a better way to sort files by date added. I hate hate hate that it groups them in today, yesterday, last seven days etc. instead of just one continuous list with the most recent at the top. help

thanks

Arrange by -> None

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I upgraded to an 8TB Seagate external for Time Machine and now it's backing up way more data with each pass than it should be. I can't tell from the logs exactly what it's doing but judging by the size it's probably copying my entire user folder.

I tried everything I know - check both disks, verify permissions, run every rebuild/purge/wipe/repair I could with MainMenu, then format the backup drive and start from scratch, and after it completed the initial backup I'm still seeing the exact same behavior. Any ideas?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

Choadmaster posted:

Arrange by -> None

That's just giving me the files alphabetically now.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

uggy posted:

That's just giving me the files alphabetically now.

Then in list view ctrl-click the Name Size Kind Header, select Date Added, click on it until it sorts the right direction.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
woah thanks i'm an idiot.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I need to start ctrl-clicking and cmd-clicking more often, because I'm probably missing out on a ton of little things that would make my life easier.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I've been using Spectacle for window management, like snap to half or one-third of the screen. Is there a better option that replicates Windows' functionality? I mean you snap windows by dragging them to the relevant edge of the screen. The keyboard shortcuts are cool too if it has those as well.

Also, Spectacle stopped working with acrobat after some update, so if this program works with acrobat that would be an instant buy and huge improvement.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

I've been using Spectacle for window management, like snap to half or one-third of the screen. Is there a better option that replicates Windows' functionality? I mean you snap windows by dragging them to the relevant edge of the screen. The keyboard shortcuts are cool too if it has those as well.

Also, Spectacle stopped working with acrobat after some update, so if this program works with acrobat that would be an instant buy and huge improvement.

Moom can do all that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

Moom can do all that.

This looks very useful, thanks!

Actually, is it best to buy through App Store or their website? I never know whether to use the Mac App Store.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

Actually, is it best to buy through App Store or their website? I never know whether to use the Mac App Store.
Hahahaha

I always buy through the app store when I can. That way I don't need to keep track of license files/emails and it also means I can easily install on multiple macs.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

If you're in the first view use 'clean up by > date' rather than 'arrange by'.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Or you have my Downloads folder, which is currently set to Arrange By: Date Added, and for some inexplicable reason, every time I download a new file or two, they get dropped to the very bottom of the list, even though the list is being sorted in descending order. So, hundreds of files, going back to a modification time of 1995 (yay for servers keeping file times of MIDI files extracted from old games, and modules produced that long ago), and then suddenly it's 10 files all downloaded recently.

Opening the files in Finder tends to cause them to move to the top of the list, along with the folder that is extracted from them if they're archives.

Upon further inspection, it appears all of the items stuck at the bottom have no "added" timestamp.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

tuyop posted:

They'd prefer you to buy it directly from them.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

kode54 posted:

Or you have my Downloads folder, which is currently set to Arrange By: Date Added, and for some inexplicable reason, every time I download a new file or two, they get dropped to the very bottom of the list, even though the list is being sorted in descending order. So, hundreds of files, going back to a modification time of 1995 (yay for servers keeping file times of MIDI files extracted from old games, and modules produced that long ago), and then suddenly it's 10 files all downloaded recently.

Opening the files in Finder tends to cause them to move to the top of the list, along with the folder that is extracted from them if they're archives.

Upon further inspection, it appears all of the items stuck at the bottom have no "added" timestamp.

Finder is just really unintuitive and bad and after its inexplicable flakiness with wifi, the worst thing about OS X imo.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

gmq posted:

They'd prefer you to buy it directly from them.

That's exactly what I was thinking about. I read something like this about fantastical now that I'm thinking about it at as well.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

tuyop posted:

BetterTouchTool (and BetterSnapTool) do this.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 3, 2015

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

tuyop posted:

That's exactly what I was thinking about. I read something like this about fantastical now that I'm thinking about it at as well.

The App Store's far more strict requirements and long review times mean that it probably is preferable to buy more rapidly updated and/or expensive software from the developer themselves. I like it for the smaller utilities on there that don't change too often, though.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is your network still showing activity? When I uploaded my library the X photos left was all over the loving place. Took like a whole week for around 10k photos and s few hundred videos.

Nope. It was fully stalled. But! The Genius I spoke to suggested pausing the upload, signing out of iCloud, rebooting, sign back in, unpause.

That did it. Next morning everything was up and showing on all my other devices. Very nice.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Is there a photo duplicates checker which works with the new Photos app? It seems the old Dupe Guru hasn't been updated and still only supports iPhoto libraries. Unfortunately, my dad ended up somehow importing his entire photo library twice into the same Photos library, possibly through manual imports with drag and drop, instead of pointing the importer at his camera, which may have been able to detect all of the pictures which were already imported.

E: Ooh!

kode54 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 4, 2015

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

There's also this, and it's only 99 cents on the Mac App Store as opposed to paying $20. Haven't tried it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I am trying to install win 7 via bootcamp on an 8.2 macbook pro running 10.8.4 and I've got it to create the bootable usb, and partition the drive - but when it restarts it just give me the 'boot device cannot be found' message.

any suggestions?

edit: it's okay, I figured out the solution - buy some DVDs and do it that way

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 4, 2015