Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

AndrewP posted:

I just bought a Dorkfood temp controller and am gonna try some sous vide steaks tonight!

I have a smallish crock pot and my question - as long as the steaks actually fit into the crock and water covers them, does it matter how big the crock actually is / how much water is used?

More water has more heat capacitance. If you drop a cold steak into a smaller bath it will probably take longer to come back up to temp. If your crock is small and there's no circulation the steaks nearer the element might get more done than the ones farther from the element, as the water around them will get to a hotter temp than the bath mean or wherever your thermostat is.

It probably doesn't matter unless you're pushing it to the absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You're probably okay but I guess you'll have to try to know for sure

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Juice Box Hero posted:

More water has more heat capacitance. If you drop a cold steak into a smaller bath it will probably take longer to come back up to temp.

Yeah, I definitely noticed this.

Overall it was a success and definitely the best steaks I've ever made, but when I seared it got a little cooked just inside - just need a hotter pan next time I think.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Once you jump to sous vide steak your next goal is "how fast can I dump heat into the surface of this steak".

I throw my cast iron pan in the oven at 500F for around an hour to make sure it's really evenly hot, then turn the burner all the way up and let it burn for a few minutes so the grates aren't stealing heat.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

AndrewP posted:

I just bought a Dorkfood temp controller and am gonna try some sous vide steaks tonight!

I have a smallish crock pot and my question - as long as the steaks actually fit into the crock and water covers them, does it matter how big the crock actually is / how much water is used?

e: thinking about it I can't imagine why it would as long as it can heat the meat to a certain temperature.

More water is more thermal mass. It'll take longer to get to a particular temperature, but once it gets there it'll stay there and the heater won't have to kick on and off as frequently. So basically, yeah, no difference in the final result.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Chemmy posted:

Once you jump to sous vide steak your next goal is "how fast can I dump heat into the surface of this steak".

I throw my cast iron pan in the oven at 500F for around an hour to make sure it's really evenly hot, then turn the burner all the way up and let it burn for a few minutes so the grates aren't stealing heat.

As long as its not raining I tend to prefer building a blazing hell fire in the charcoal grill, even preheated cast iron can't keep up with that.

Has anyone played with using the sous vide to do confit by throwing fat inside the bag? I've got a couple bags of chicken rear quarters + wings that I tossed some pork lard in and left at 140 for 24 hours, was going to age them for a week but know I'm thinking I might just open them up and see if it worked at all.

edit: though since my grate is heavy cast iron I guess that counts as preheated cast iron too

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Kenji from Serious Eats posted:

Indeed, the fat is largely a surface treatment for muscles. While it is true that it may find its way between the larger muscle groups and will cover the entire piece of meat in a thin layer of fat, it will not penetrate very far into the meat itself. This is easy to see simply by cutting open a large muscle group and examining the inside. It looks virtually the same as meat cooked through any other low-and-slow method, such as braising or steaming.

From that statement, I don't think you're gaining much.

E:Here's a link to the article.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

CrazySalamander posted:

From that statement, I don't think you're gaining much.

E:Here's a link to the article.

You're taking that statement wildly out of context, that article was the basis of my experiment to begin with. That said, after my experiment over the weekend I'm starting suspect this from the article is very true:

quote:

In Modernist Cuisine, Nathan Myhrvold et. al claim that using other controlled-temperature means of cooking can achieve results similar to confit. Simply by steaming a piece of meat until tender and coating it in a thin layer of fat, for instance, you can get a product that is indistinguishable from a true confit—at least, a confit that is eaten immediately after cooking.

Although with sous vide its even easier to just put a little fat in the bag. Might try aging it next time, the other nice thing about sous vide is after a day in the bath it will be food safe for a very long time if you keep it in the vacuum bag.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Jarmak posted:

As long as its not raining I tend to prefer building a blazing hell fire in the charcoal grill, even preheated cast iron can't keep up with that.

Definitely this - the last few times I vizzled steak, I seared them on a grill grate placed over a ridiculously hot chimney starter, came out close to perfect.

BobTheDestroyer
Dec 21, 2011
The anova ap has been released for Android in beta form Play Store Link.

Haven't tried it out yet but it does come with a heap of recipes

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

BobTheDestroyer posted:

The anova ap has been released for Android in beta form Play Store Link.

Haven't tried it out yet but it does come with a heap of recipes

Yikes. I like how every recipe has "sous vide" in the title. No poo poo.

I haven't used the app with the device yet but I'm not very impressed with the recipes uh, menu-list? Thing? No surprise some 80 year old weirdo from Missouri would post a recipe for "seared ahi tuna." I assume you set the water for room temp.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The recipes sound like they're the same ones on their website which all also start with "sous-vide" and vary massively in quality.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Chemmy posted:

Real men grill their steaks over a crucible filled with thermite.

(Seriously, I recall one enterprising goon doing just this for shits and giggles)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Alright y'all, anyone on the Sainsaire/Anova fence now has no excuse not to buy an immersion circulator that won't break when you look at it wrong. The first gen Nomikus are on sale for $200 with the coupon code MOMNOMS.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-deals-we-can-find/#nomiku

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The first gen Nomikus are nice but they also have a pretty small range when it comes to water level.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Went and bought a 4 lbs pork roast from the meat science lab and plan to have it for dinner. The wife is terribly worried about under cooked meat so I'm doing it at 158F for 3+ hours. Any suggestions on modifying that time/temp or what to toss in the bag? I'm contemplating apple slices and rosemary, but I'm not really settled on the spicing.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Mr. Wookums posted:

The first gen Nomikus are nice but they also have a pretty small range when it comes to water level.

People get all freaked out about that, but I've done 72 hour cooks with my Nom and experienced no problems.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Went and bought a 4 lbs pork roast from the meat science lab and plan to have it for dinner. The wife is terribly worried about under cooked meat so I'm doing it at 158F for 3+ hours. Any suggestions on modifying that time/temp or what to toss in the bag? I'm contemplating apple slices and rosemary, but I'm not really settled on the spicing.

Helloooooo! That's only a few hours from me!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

People get all freaked out about that, but I've done 72 hour cooks with my Nom and experienced no problems.

Helloooooo! That's only a few hours from me!

Order your whole/half cow today! Cut just the way you want it.

If they get the smoker back up and running today they will have so many bratwursts. Don't touch my swiss and mushroom bratz, I'll cut you!

E: If you are going to make the trip PM me beforehand, and I'll give you the inside scoop on where else to get good stuff in town like the local teeny tiny micro-breweries.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 1, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

derp

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Indolent Bastard posted:

158°F is 13°F above the FDA recommended temperature, you're not doing 158 for food safety you're doing it so it's well done (and if you're doing that might as well do it in an oven, less water loss I think).

If you stay in this course of action I wouldn't exceed 3hr. But personally I would do it 144°F for 3:30-4:00.

edit: Also, you want to brine it (if you want to have it tonight just injection brine).

deimos fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 1, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

deimos posted:

158°F is 13°F above the FDA recommended temperature, you're not doing 158 for food safety you're doing it so it's well done (and if you're doing that might as well do it in an oven, less water loss I think).

If you stay in this course of action I wouldn't exceed 3hr. But personally I would do it 144°F for 3:30-4:00.

edit: Also, you want to brine it (if you want to have it tonight just injection brine).

Noted.

E: Will brine overnight, and cook with the Anova tomorrow. Looks like chicken tonight.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 1, 2015

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Noted.

E: Will brine overnight, and cook with the Anova tomorrow. Looks like chicken tonight.

I recommend you read at least chapter 1 of Douglas Baldwin's book so you're familiar with the pitfalls of sous vide pasteurization. I don't want you killing yourself in the pursuit of perfect meatology.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Someone's just invented a gadget that upgrades an ordinary stove with precision temperature control:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/meld/meld-a-perfect-meal-every-time?ref=category

They mention using it for sous vide, but also things that require temperatures above the boiling point of water (such as frying and candy making).

I was thinking about getting a hot plate and Chinese PID controller for candy making, but this looks like a good alternative.

Though it also looks like the sort of Kickstarter project that could go horribly wrong, so it might be best to wait until this actually ships.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
there are some incredibly unintentionally funny things about that product & the kickstarter page

e.g.

Will pots lids work with the Meld Knob + Clip?

Here's a photo of how the Meld Clip works with a pot lid:

Will you have a Windows app?
At this time we aren't planning on developing a Windows app.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Yeah, no. That thing will never work. There are a ton of reasons why, but the most obvious for me is: it would void my oven warranty, and my oven knobs aren't even like that, and how would it push itself in, as my oven requires you push in to change temp(yay apartment 'safety features'). Not to mention, on an electric coil, the likelihood of it able to stay within 1 degree Fahrenheit is basically impossible. Coil ovens just don't work that way. If you want cheap sous vide buy a 6-8qt crock pot and a PID.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The heating elements on an electric coil stove and a crock pot are basically the same thing. 1 degree is probably possible for a big static mass like a gallon of water for sous vide. The novel part is the knob control, which seems like it will be hard to do in a cheap, small package that doesn't fall apart.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
A gallon of water, sure. But any more and you run into circulation issues. As I doubt this thing is 'smart' enough, or the average user will put the probe in the right place. Again, just get a PID/crockpot or an ANOVA. That thing is a POS and I can hardly believe it has raised that much.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

That poo poo they said about "bagless sous vide" cracked me up. Sorry, if you're heating something directly in a pot as billions of people around the world do on a daily basis, it's not sous vide and you probably shouldn't call it that. Most people would just call it cooking.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I like the part where they say 'unlike other tools, that force you to learn new skills...'

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

I've got a beach party coming up next week and was thinking of cooking some spareribs for 48-72 during the week like short ribs, chilling them and then throwing them on the grill at the party to reheat and get a nice crust.

I'm not seeing much online regarding spareribs, so I'm wondering if you all have any experience. My concerns are mainly ensuring the meat is not so tender that it falls apart trying to get it on the grill and also whether I can put my dry rub on it before the long cook, or whether I might get some off flavors from the spices doing some weird interactions

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Planning on making some flank steak and finishing on the grill for some carne asada tacos.

I'll do them medium rare, so I'm guessing 131 degrees-any idea how long I should cook them?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
To jump back, if I'm going to do a store-bought corned beef, do I put the spices in the vac bag or just toss them?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Test Pattern posted:

To jump back, if I'm going to do a store-bought corned beef, do I put the spices in the vac bag or just toss them?

I haven't done it in a vac bag because I didn't yet have a foodsaver when I last did corned beef, but in a regular old ziploc, I put the spices in and it worked out just fine. The amount of liquid the meat sheds while being cooked does a great job of distributing the spices and making sure you don't really have hotspots. Might be different in a vac bag though.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

nwin posted:

Planning on making some flank steak and finishing on the grill for some carne asada tacos.

I'll do them medium rare, so I'm guessing 131 degrees-any idea how long I should cook them?

I usually do 24 hours, but I've literally never tried anything else. It's probably worth an experiment sometime.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

I usually do 24 hours, but I've literally never tried anything else. It's probably worth an experiment sometime.

If you want to slow cook it maybe, if you're just bringing it to 131 to grill/sear it like a steak it takes less then an hour.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Flank steak isn't usually the tenderest of meats, so a long cook is worthwhile IMO.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

Flank steak isn't usually the tenderest of meats, so a long cook is worthwhile IMO.

I'm not as much of a flank steak fan, but I do love a good skirt steak cooked high heat on the grill then cut against the grain so I'm not sure it really falls into the "long cook" brisket category.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ended up doing the flank steak at 134 for 24 hours, with about one minute per side on the grill.

It turned out really good and it was very tender. Only thing I didn't like was the rub I put on it almost left it feeling dry on the top (cumin, salt, pepper, garlic powder). I ended up moistening it pretty well with some fresh lemon juice drizzled on top during the finish. It made some awesome tacos.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm doing a beef chuck pot roast right now. 135* for 72 hours. I think I'll serve it with an au poivre style sauce with morels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

nwin posted:

It made some awesome tacos.

Glad it worked out. I haven't been cooking much lately and I really gotta do this one again myself.