Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

So is the Nexus 9 pretty much the only game in town if you want stock Lollipop? The reviews look pretty lukewarm but I'm considering going for a preowned one. I've got an iPad 3 but I want something faster and I'd prefer Android.

I have a Nexus 9 and I am really disappointed with it. If I were in your shoes I would hold out for whatever comes next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So is the Nexus 9 pretty much the only game in town if you want stock Lollipop? The reviews look pretty lukewarm but I'm considering going for a preowned one. I've got an iPad 3 but I want something faster and I'd prefer Android.

I mean, Nexus devices are the only that are completely stock (for whatever definition you use for that), but there's others out there that are close, like the Nvidia Shield. No one seems to like the Nexus 9 much for a number of reasons, notably the awful SoC they put in it.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Foma posted:

I have a Nexus 9 and I am really disappointed with it. If I were in your shoes I would hold out for whatever comes next.

What don't you like about it?

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

What don't you like about it?

Bad battery life, gets pretty hot on half the device, the screen leaks white light, and it doesn't feel that fast or responsive. Also I've had it lock up a number of times.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I went with the galaxy tab s 8.4 instead of the nexus 7 (2013) or the nexus 9.

Had it for a few months so far and am really enjoying it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm moving out of the country in June and going back into nomad mode, and I was thinking of a 10 inch or bigger tablet as a desktop replacement, given that basically everything I have done with my PC in months and months is contained inside a web browser. I do all my work at a PC at the office (after years of grad school I have decided gently caress working from home forever), and I haven't played a game on Steam in so long I finally just deleted the program and all the local game content a few weeks ago (this is mostly because it's becoming clear that the PC games I want to play will appear on the PS4 eventually, and at always decreasing prices). I'm looking at Samsung's current tablets (including the one that comes out next week), but is there anything else either now or that will come out before June that I should be looking at?

edit: more in general, how settled down are tablet specs by now? Are they becoming twice as good every six months, or has that time passed?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 25, 2015

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm moving out of the country in June and going back into nomad mode, and I was thinking of a 10 inch or bigger tablet as a desktop replacement, given that basically everything I have done with my PC in months and months is contained inside a web browser. I do all my work at a PC at the office (after years of grad school I have decided gently caress working from home forever), and I haven't played a game on Steam in so long I finally just deleted the program and all the local game content a few weeks ago (this is mostly because it's becoming clear that the PC games I want to play will appear on the PS4 eventually, and at always decreasing prices). I'm looking at Samsung's current tablets (including the one that comes out next week), but is there anything else either now or that will come out before June that I should be looking at?

edit: more in general, how settled down are tablet specs by now? Are they becoming twice as good every six months, or has that time passed?

Seems like it might make sense to consider the Surface 3 in your case.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Seems like it might make sense to consider the Surface 3 in your case.
Besides reducing weight of electronics, the idea would be to get away from Windows finally.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

So I got the "Snugg" leather case for my iPad mini 2. It's a little awkward pressing buttons really close to the edges but it feels very durable.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I got the Galaxy Tab S 10, and its cover, when it came out and I still think it's wonderful.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'd like a new tablet to read comics/manga on, and I don't mind spending a little more to get something nice. I'm using a 1st gen Nexus 7 right now, and while it's been fine for the past two+ years, I think I'd like to try something a little bigger. If I'm planning on manually loading comic files, and not just using something like Marvel Unlimited or Comixology, I should stay away from Apple tablets, right?

EDIT: The Galaxy Tab S 10.5 is on sale for $70 off from Bestbuy. Any good?

fadam fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 29, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

fadam posted:

I'd like a new tablet to read comics/manga on, and I don't mind spending a little more to get something nice. I'm using a 1st gen Nexus 7 right now, and while it's been fine for the past two+ years, I think I'd like to try something a little bigger. If I'm planning on manually loading comic files, and not just using something like Marvel Unlimited or Comixology, I should stay away from Apple tablets, right?

There's comic apps for iPad so you can load your pirated comics. iPad absolutely has the best quality screen, so that would be best for your comics. Either iPad Air is a good bet.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Anyone have some hands on experience with the Surface 3 (non-Pro) yet? I have to wait to buy a tablet due to some unforeseen expenses and I think I might just buy the bullet on something in a higher cost bracket. The reviews for the Surface 3 make it look pretty good, although having to buy all the accessories and what not is kind of a bummer.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Foma posted:

I went through ten Nexus 9s. The first couple were because the price dropped by like $150, so I just returned it to rebuy it lower, but the next seven were just hot garbage.
  • Barely assembled, the back case was coming off
  • Top corner got burning hot
  • Kept locking up, felt like I was working under water
  • Volume button was so flush it was nearly useless
  • Screen had terrible bleed, a couple of them had a .5cm white line around the bottom edge, plus a the rest of the screen was milky when completely black

It was terrible. I decided to get an iPad Air, and haven't missed Android tablets at all However, I kept swapping out the N9 just to see how many bad ones I could get.

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha

Jose Oquendo posted:

iPad absolutely has the best quality screen, so that would be best for your comics. Either iPad Air is a good bet.

I think the Samsung Galaxy Tab S screen beats the Ipad screen

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

fadam posted:

I have one and I think it's great for comics.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Just a heads up for anyone considering the Tab S 10.5 looks like there's a decent ebay deal on slightly used ones http://www.ebay.com/itm/141400560417?rmvSB=true#viTabs_0

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I need an LTE tablet to watch the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight tomorrow night. What's going to look best, have a stand or stand case and has the battery long enough to last the duration of the event? (3-4 hours)

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Hi, I have a nexus 7 (2012 version) and while I'm really happy with it it's age has been showing and it has become much slower and less responsive than it used to be. Plus there have been other weird bugs and I'm at the point that I'd just like to replace it. Can anyone recommend me a good replacement tablet?

I use it mostly for reading ebooks, google maps, minimal internet surfing (to look up train/bus times, to check facebook, etc) and the occasional use of skype. I don't want 3G and since I don't use it to watch films/series nor to play games I really don't care too much about screen quality (my nexus 7 is more than good enough in that sense). 7 inch would be fine again.

edit: what about a samsung galaxy tab 4 7.0? Or an ASUS memopad (ME572C)?

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 2, 2015

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
why not a 2013 N7?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Keyser S0ze posted:

why not a 2013 N7?

Mostly because I literally can't find a shop (online or offline shop) still selling one here in Belgium. I might be able to ship one here from Germany or something, but if I'd needed to get it repaired at some point (when it's still under guarantee) I'd be quite a hassle. Plus, it's a 2 year old model so I assumed there'd be something better on the market by now. Is that not the case?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Walh Hara posted:

Plus, it's a 2 year old model so I assumed there'd be something better on the market by now. Is that not the case?

Pretty much, no.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Daimo posted:

Pretty much, no.
Lol at Nokia still not loving selling the N1 in the US.

Nokia could sell like 10 million N1s immediately, or at least nvidia could sell a ton of next-gen Shields if their March announcement wasn't a retarded dead-on-arrival ouya 2.0. After getting a legit new flagship Android phone I am loving starving for a tablet that isn't made redundant by it, and there's just nothing worth spending my money on :(

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Daimo posted:

Pretty much, no.

Is there a good place to get one online that's new and not a refurb?

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking for a dirt-cheap new tablet. The only requirements are
1) It can display a color PDF for up to 2 hours.
2) Won't break down within two years.

That's it. Everything else is optional, price guiding my choices. I don't need Wi-Fi, cell connectivity, ability to install anything, speed faster than glacial, large storage room or a large screen. I just need a cheap PDF reader that won't die on me.

Any ideas?

(I'm a new lecturer and I need to review my slides on the 60 minute bus ride to the campus.)

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

No Gravitas posted:

I'm looking for a dirt-cheap new tablet. The only requirements are
1) It can display a color PDF for up to 2 hours.
2) Won't break down within two years.

That's it. Everything else is optional, price guiding my choices. I don't need Wi-Fi, cell connectivity, ability to install anything, speed faster than glacial, large storage room or a large screen. I just need a cheap PDF reader that won't die on me.

Any ideas?

(I'm a new lecturer and I need to review my slides on the 60 minute bus ride to the campus.)

Enjoy your HP Stream 7

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Is a lenovo tab2 A7-10, for around 70 euros, worth it? I never gotten a tablet before, and been considering one for streaming stuff from my pc just for convenience sakes

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
So I have the option of getting an iPad Air 2 16GB or the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 LTE for the same price. I like the screen on the Tab more bit like how responsive the Ipad is. My biggest gripe about the iPad is iTunes, is there any way to get around using it? I like being able to just drag and drop files at will.

Anyone have any info about getting around iTunes or any major differences that would sway me one way or another? It will be primarily a video player / reader.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hi guys! So my birthday is coming up and I am apparently getting a tablet for it. I don't know what the price range is, but I don't think I can go *too* high.. Probably the $300-$400 range I would think would be the maximum but I'm not really sure.

So basically, I have a gigantic massive gaming laptop that I use at home and was never meant for use outside my home. But lately I have need for something to do work on easily outside my home, and a tablet fulfills other uses I would like (such as being able to read comic books on them and that's often how what I read is released these days) so I would very much like to do that, as I can't really read comics on the computer and enjoy them in any real way, and I am hoping reading on the tablet will actually work out.

I am also a Hearthstone addict, and lately there are local gatherings where Hearthstone players actually get together at a bar/pub and play against each other in real life, actually seeing their opponent! That appeals to me greatly and I really, really want to be able to do that, so having a tablet seems like a fairly necessary thing, as something I didn't mention about my unwieldy laptop is that LED panel is actually broken, thus it only works when plugged into a monitor and until I get the panel fixed it's basically a desktop computer, which actually works just fine, absurdly, and I still have warranty with plenty of time on it so I can send it away to get it fixed I just haven't had the chance yet, and it would be absurd bringing this ginormous laptop anyway. And I want a tablet for other work-related reasons, besides.

Given all these things, what would you guys recommend? I believe Hearthstone has apps for both android and iPad. I am leaning towards an Android-based device, as I just don't particularly like apple, and I have a Windows machine, and it just seems like it would be a better fit and I'd pay less money (even if it is less slick and doesn't have the Apple tech support and the Apple brand and whatnot). So I am a little averse to Apple products. There are just so many freaking Android tablets of so many sizes and generations that I have *no* clue what direction to look in or where to go. So um.. help, please? :shobon:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kizurue posted:

So I have the option of getting an iPad Air 2 16GB or the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 LTE for the same price. I like the screen on the Tab more bit like how responsive the Ipad is. My biggest gripe about the iPad is iTunes, is there any way to get around using it? I like being able to just drag and drop files at will.

Anyone have any info about getting around iTunes or any major differences that would sway me one way or another? It will be primarily a video player / reader.
What are you trying to drag and drop? Music, there's no real way that I know of beyond using a streaming service, but there's plenty of video players that can set up wireless servers to move files around, I'm fairly certain.

kaworu posted:

Given all these things, what would you guys recommend? I believe Hearthstone has apps for both android and iPad. I am leaning towards an Android-based device, as I just don't particularly like apple, and I have a Windows machine, and it just seems like it would be a better fit and I'd pay less money (even if it is less slick and doesn't have the Apple tech support and the Apple brand and whatnot). So I am a little averse to Apple products. There are just so many freaking Android tablets of so many sizes and generations that I have *no* clue what direction to look in or where to go. So um.. help, please? :shobon:
The only Android tablets worth mentioning now are a two year old Nexus 7 or a Samsung Tab S which costs the same as an iPad.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Welp, my Nexus 7 (2013) died and I'm pretty pissed. I'm in the market for a new tablet, but I don't know what to do about that. I've narrowed it down to two options: the Dell Venue 8 7000 and an iPad Mini 2.

I actually kind of prefer Android to iOS, and the Venue seems well-constructed and looks cool (and has an SD slot, apparently.) But after my Nexus 7 decided to crap out after 2 years, I'm way more attracted to the reliability and support infrastructure for Apple products.

Is the Venue worth buying over an iPad? They're about the same price, and I probably wouldn't notice any performance differences. I'd use either mostly for browsing the internet, listening to music, maybe playing emulator games, etc. The OS preference is mostly arbitrary (I like having access to the file system, and having widgets that aren't rows of apps on the home screen.) But I definitely have more confidence that an iPad will still be running in 2 years.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Xealot posted:

Welp, my Nexus 7 (2013) died and I'm pretty pissed. I'm in the market for a new tablet, but I don't know what to do about that. I've narrowed it down to two options: the Dell Venue 8 7000 and an iPad Mini 2.

I actually kind of prefer Android to iOS, and the Venue seems well-constructed and looks cool (and has an SD slot, apparently.) But after my Nexus 7 decided to crap out after 2 years, I'm way more attracted to the reliability and support infrastructure for Apple products.

Is the Venue worth buying over an iPad? They're about the same price, and I probably wouldn't notice any performance differences. I'd use either mostly for browsing the internet, listening to music, maybe playing emulator games, etc. The OS preference is mostly arbitrary (I like having access to the file system, and having widgets that aren't rows of apps on the home screen.) But I definitely have more confidence that an iPad will still be running in 2 years.

I'm pretty sure there are no emulators available on the apple app store. Just checked on my gf's iPad a few weeks ago when she wanted one.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
My co-worker got the Venue yesterday. It seemed slower than my 2013 Nexus 7, but that might have been because it was doing updates and stuff. The screen was crisp but oversaturated and the colors were noticeably off. Whites looked green when viewing straight ahead and the colors got worse as your viewing angle got less ideal. It was incredibly thin and very well built but the single bezel made it awkward to hold. The speaker was fairly loud. The cameras are awful but that's about what you'd expect from any tablet. It also had some garbage that was always in the notification bar like on LG phones and looked like it was designed by the people who make motherboard utilities. It's nice enough but I sure as hell wouldn't pay what they're asking.

If my 2013 7 died I'd probably just buy another.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Xealot posted:

I was in a similar position about 8 months ago. I had been purchasing the Nexus 7 (2013) as soon as it was available. I used it all the time and was always taking good care of it. One day, it was not booting. It would start but then just turn off. I tried many things to get it to be working and ultimately ended up calling Google support (who were very nice). They said it was hosed.

Honestly, it a connector from the internal storage was probably being disconnected, but I do not have the knowledge to make the repairs. I purchased an iPad Mini 2 (with the touch reader) even tho the hardware is poo poo for the price. That thing just feels put together more. I am sure Apple is having bad units during fabrication, but I would say that the premium price is for a premium product.

EDIT: If I was needing to use gmail or other Google Apps for business or something, I would have bought another Nexus 7 or maybe a Surface. If you hate Apple / OS X, obviously don't force iPad on uself.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I am still loving my Tab S 8.4

I did read that a new line of them is coming out this Summer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Un-l337-Pork posted:

I was in a similar position about 8 months ago. I had been purchasing the Nexus 7 (2013) as soon as it was available. I used it all the time and was always taking good care of it. One day, it was not booting. It would start but then just turn off. I tried many things to get it to be working and ultimately ended up calling Google support (who were very nice). They said it was hosed.

Honestly, it a connector from the internal storage was probably being disconnected, but I do not have the knowledge to make the repairs. I purchased an iPad Mini 2 (with the touch reader) even tho the hardware is poo poo for the price. That thing just feels put together more. I am sure Apple is having bad units during fabrication, but I would say that the premium price is for a premium product.

EDIT: If I was needing to use gmail or other Google Apps for business or something, I would have bought another Nexus 7 or maybe a Surface. If you hate Apple / OS X, obviously don't force iPad on uself.
Compared to what, precisely? The only thing Anandtech has consistently beating it is the Nvidia Shield. (Pretend the iPad Air is an iPad mini 2 or 3 since they're all the same hardware and be sure to click through to the GPU and NAND tests.)

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Jose Oquendo posted:

There's comic apps for iPad so you can load your pirated comics. iPad absolutely has the best quality screen, so that would be best for your comics. Either iPad Air is a good bet.

The Samsung Tab S range screens are probably better than the iPad's.

Tab S 10.5 is the beat android tablet at present imo, get it if you want android.

Edit: Also, the paid comic apps like comixology are better on Android, as you can buy comics in them.

Apple's ridiculous app store rules forced them to remove the feature of actually buying comics on iOS.

wooger fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 24, 2015

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Going to disagree with you wooger, the Sony Z4 tablet is the new best android tablet (imo).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does the Amazon app on an Android device support downloading movies for watching on the plane or something? It seems nuts that it wouldn't but I wanted to make sure.

edit: I was looking for cheap, so I was thinking of the Samsung Tab 4 7", should I be looking at something else instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Un-l337-Pork posted:

I don't really need Android for business reasons, though I definitely use Google's services (Chrome / Gmail / Gchat / Drive) for stuff. I have an iPhone 5C, and the apps on iOS for those are fairly adequate for my purposes.

It's not that I hate iOS, it's that conceptually I prefer Android. But a brand new $270 device dying within 2 years is kind of bullshit, and I don't know what other manufacturer in the Android space provides the same or similar build quality and reliability Apple does (I've had Apple devices last 5+ years.)

I'm aiming to spend ~$350, which is how much a 32gb iPad Mini 2 goes for. I was just wondering what else was out there I hadn't thought of.