Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think a lot of people who start out 'just wanting to learn a bit of boxing, but not to actually fight or anything' actually do want to try out muay thai or something, but they've got negative preconceptions about what they think fighting gyms are really like. I went to a traditional muay thai gym once where you basically had to 'graduate' from a technique class before they'd let you anywhere near sparring, and I'm sure that's not particularly abnormal. If she's afraid of getting beaten up, i'll bet there are plenty of options around that would give you both a workout while teaching plenty of technique, but never expect you to spar. There's an upper limit on how good you can get if you train that way, but it doesn't sound like either of you are training to be batman or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
does a non wing chun art that focuses on bare handed boxing stuff exist? I want to see stuff where they throw punches like in boxing but modify the tech to deal with avoiding hand injury and "gimmick" stuff that is only possible because of no gloves. Like the pictures where you have an 1800s dude thowing vertical punches.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

You could do literally any striking art and just open your fist when you're aiming for the head, close your fist when you're aiming for the body, probably

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
yeah but who actually trains that way?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Slaapaav posted:

puzzle mats are scary as gently caress. so many wrecked toes at the old place i used to train bjj

At the gym I go to we use puzzle mats on the main floor which is mostly stand up stuff, krav, muai thai, cardio classes, etc. Our bjj, judo, and mma classes are done on 2 inch velcro mats.

Slaapaav posted:

Russians?

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Slaapaav posted:

does a non wing chun art that focuses on bare handed boxing stuff exist? I want to see stuff where they throw punches like in boxing but modify the tech to deal with avoiding hand injury and "gimmick" stuff that is only possible because of no gloves. Like the pictures where you have an 1800s dude thowing vertical punches.

What counts as gimmick stuff and are you looking to do some kind of professional application or are you fine with maybe getting a little esoteric? (Esoteric can be read as '50/50 chance of being involved with woo in some way')

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Slaapaav posted:

Nobody, because the hands are too delicate to be used unprotected. So in a modern, hobbyist sense, bare-handed fighting is the gimmick now.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
No matter how many times I get shown how to wrap hands mine come out looking like garbage. I have a similar problem with gi belts. Can one of our in-house doctors diagnose my specific brand of motor skill retardation?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Heeey, I've done hundreds of rounds of no wraps, no gloves sparring.

It just takes people who are not idiots to make it work. But it does if you find them.

kimbo305 posted:

Nobody, because the hands are too delicate to be used unprotected. So in a modern, hobbyist sense, bare-handed fighting is the gimmick now.

Not entirely, the guys I've done it with are boxers and purple belt BJJ grapplers.

It's just another thing you can do.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

My gym switched to these from puzzle mats -- they're definitely cushier. I prefered the puzzle mats because they covered the floor where all the heavy bags are, but even these are not so cushy that I have problems standing and striking.

How would you rate them for Judo throws? Wasn't planning on taking many at home but its nice to have the option.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
Judo throws require some serious cushion/spring to be safe. Puzzle mats will prevent you from breaking something when combined with proper ukemi but it'll still hurt enough that you won't want to take more than a couple falls at a time on them.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Slaapaav posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiGQIh-6Kdo

By the way, herniated discs in your lower back loving suck and I hope I'll be able to go back to at least doing some striking training, even if wrestling and MMA is out for the foreseable future.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 30, 2015

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Slaapaav posted:

The obvious answer is find an MMA gym that understands striking for MMA and teaches towards using small gloves. Failing that:

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

You could do literally any striking art and just open your fist when you're aiming for the head, close your fist when you're aiming for the body, probably

this is pretty much the answer from what I can tell. In my limited striking training I've taken an interest in "how would I punch without these gloves" and tried a few heavy bag rounds using slapping hooks and stuff like that. It felt pretty similar to normal hitting, I wish the open palm long hook wasn't illegal because I felt like I was connecting well with that variation. I mean I could still try to get away with it if I was actually fighting but I just want to spar at the gym so I'm not looking to go to that level.

And for the rest of bareknuckle style fighting, its still around in pretty much every full contact style. Its really explicit in Muay Thai because they clinch elbow and throw but even boxing has a lot of secret wrestling:

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/wrestling-practice-with-james-toney-and-floyd-mayweather

The first time I sparred I was a total, total wreck but when I was against the ropes and panicked, the wrestling/bjj kicked in and I did one of those mayweather tie - up shove and hit moves that stunned my opponent. Afterwards, my trainer was like, "WTF why can you barely fight but pulled that off?!"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

n3rdal3rt posted:

How would you rate them for Judo throws? Wasn't planning on taking many at home but its nice to have the option.

Pretty good. Not quite as nice as a ring, but the padding is thick. Definitely better than a puzzle mat.
If they were well secured, I wouldn't mind doing drills on them all day, though my sanshou gym is not full of ippon-level throw artists, except for our coach.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
How often do boxers get point penalties or the dq from upperbody throws and elbows? or punches where they control the opponents head by grappling with one of their arms?

the part where toney steps on foot of the other guy is the greatest

Slaapaav fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 30, 2015

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

A Wry Smile posted:

Judo throws require some serious cushion/spring to be safe. Puzzle mats will prevent you from breaking something when combined with proper ukemi but it'll still hurt enough that you won't want to take more than a couple falls at a time on them.

I wouldn't want to take Judo throws on just puzzle mats either. I have but they suck. What I regularly train on is some million year old wrestling mats on top of million year old puzzle mats on top of concrete. Not the best cushion and pretty much no spring so my ukemi isn't bad out of necessity. I still try to limit the number of big throws per night.

kimbo305 posted:

Pretty good. Not quite as nice as a ring, but the padding is thick. Definitely better than a puzzle mat.
If they were well secured, I wouldn't mind doing drills on them all day, though my sanshou gym is not full of ippon-level throw artists, except for our coach.

Sounds like these could work out then. I'm not looking to take anything crazy just maybe drill some throws and work on stuff from a mostly compliant level just to get the idea and feel of things. Nothing too aggressive as I don't want to destroy the drywall in my basement from a misjudged throw while fighting.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Joined an amateur boxing club, the parts of my body around my ribs, more specifically the ones just under my armpits hurt to gently caress. Boxing has scary looking dudes, itching to dominate the weak. Lots of tattoos and no women.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

osietra posted:

Boxing has scary looking dudes, itching to dominate the weak. Lots of tattoos and no women.

At least that club does. Not all clubs are like that.
e: I feel especially bad if this impression is reinforcing your views of fight sports and attendant machismo in general.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

kimbo305 posted:

At least that club does. Not all clubs are like that.
e: I feel especially bad if this impression is reinforcing your views of fight sports and attendant machismo in general.

It's fine. kimbo305. There's only one black guy as well, so every cloud etc.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

osietra posted:

Joined an amateur boxing club, the parts of my body around my ribs, more specifically the ones just under my armpits hurt to gently caress. Boxing has scary looking dudes, itching to dominate the weak. Lots of tattoos and no women.

Go to a BJJ club. Once you know enough, you get to put your balls on the faces of all the scary looking tattooed dudes who want to dominate the weak, it really fucks with their minds.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

osietra posted:

What the gently caress

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

osietra posted:

Also wtf

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
A lot of gyms have scary dudes who are actually perfectly nice. Or other scary dudes who are nice once you've been around a little bit and pass the idiot test.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Novum posted:

Also wtf

context if you forgot: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687623

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I forgot about that thread. it's still a gold mine.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Our club has a dude with "HATE" tattooed on his knuckles and a skull on his neck. He usually brings his daughter along and plays with ponies with her during breaks.

Frightening :(

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
My roommate and I wanna drill BJJ poo poo in our garage and need some cheapish mats. Are puzzle mats from Wal-Mart going to be thick enough for rolling? Doubtful we'll do much, if any, takedown stuff on them.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Are there really any workouts that improve your judo/grappling stamina? Over the years I've lifted weights, done calisthenics, swinged kettlebells and ran and done all kinds of combinations of those but I really think the only thing that will give me better judo conditioning is randori. Do I just suck or am I right?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
How much running did you do?

e: totally anecdotal but I run 3 times a week, 2 sprints and one distance and my stamina when boxing has been pretty far ahead of most of the guys similar to me

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

ManOfTheYear posted:

Are there really any workouts that improve your judo/grappling stamina? Over the years I've lifted weights, done calisthenics, swinged kettlebells and ran and done all kinds of combinations of those but I really think the only thing that will give me better judo conditioning is randori. Do I just suck or am I right?

climbing works wonders ive heard

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Wow, I was hit by a 15 year old girl with a left hook so hard it actually hurt, a couple of hours ago.

This. This is why I love teaching people how to box.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ManOfTheYear posted:

The transferability of one kind of cardio to another is largely muscle confusion and mental. You're right, that randori will probably be the best if you do lots of other cardio already. It's entirely possible for someone to have really good cardio and be hosed when they try a new activity, especially a high-stress high-impact one like sparring. It's your own tension that's wearing you out, perhaps combined with adrenaline dumps if you're really new. The more you relax and become comfortable in that activity, the more your cardio will transfer into randori.

The best activity for cardio, in terms of performance return for time invested, is sprints of any kind - road, bike, pool, whatever. Please do not use weights for cardio unless you enjoy having injuries.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Keg posted:

My roommate and I wanna drill BJJ poo poo in our garage and need some cheapish mats. Are puzzle mats from Wal-Mart going to be thick enough for rolling? Doubtful we'll do much, if any, takedown stuff on them.

Do you have a coach or school? Because if it's just YouTube and dicking around, this is not the best plan.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
could get good use out of Gracie University.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

yikes

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
how do you even let that happen

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Xguard86 posted:

Do you have a coach or school?

Yeah I have those things, but I end up just rolling during open mat time instead of getting reps in drilling stuff. I bought some puzzle mats and now my garage looks like a toddler's room.

Keg fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 3, 2015

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rabhadh posted:

how do you even let that happen

By leading with a heavily-telegraphed rear-hand uppercut, with your lead hand at your waist and your chin up. Pretty much asking for it to happen.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

So I recently found one of my male friends is poo poo talking on facebook about how my girlfriend does BJJ and her friend does Judo with me. He believes that women who fight and train are not feminine and it is the man's role to protect the woman rather she protect herself. He thinks I "brainwashed" them into trying the marital arts against their will and I am going to confuse their role in society if they keep going forward in "male blood sports".

People still think like this in 2015 and it amazes me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
american? your whole society thinks like that you dont even have women as infantry in your armies

• Locked thread