Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

jivjov posted:

Yup, I think at this point the only major DBZ thing that has not gotten an American release is Yo Son Goku

Don't be surprised if it gets added to Dragonball Super's first season as a 'lost episode' or something on the bluray release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Thyrork posted:

Isn't Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans also unreleased in the US? I assume since it has Cooler in, its not very big on the DBZ radar anyway.

It got remade and included with Raging Blast 2 if I remember properly(Funimation really needs to stick it, Yo Son Goku, and Episode of Bardock on a DVD and release it here in the States, maybe include the first Bardock special and History of Trunks as well if they need to pad it out some more, even if those two already have DVD releases from Funimation)

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I just had a crazy thought: what if the makers of Super decide to do something like what Futurama did and turn the movies into episodes of the season?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Goku, Gohan, Goten, Trunks, Piccolo, Kuririn and Vegeta: Japanese or Ocean voices

Frieza: New Funimation voice

The rest: Who cares? But...Ocean or Japanese probably.

I grew up with Funimation, and I loving hate their voice actors apart from Schemmel and I especially hate their buttrock soundtrack. Honorable mention goes to the Mexican dub they aired on Telemundo. It was pretty great too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The buttrock totally betrays the tone of Dragonball in like 90% of the situations, but I suppose it speaks volumes about Dragonball that it can remain good despite that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The real problem with the old Funi soundtrack is the same problem as pretty much every other dub-original soundtrack from that era: It's totally tone-death and feels the need to fill every second with instrumental flourishes lest the audience lose interest in the show due to more than a second going by without any music.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

The japanese soundtrack for dbz is bad

as are the grandma voices

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Faulconer soundtrack is better but they play it too loud and often. I imagine that the Super dub will be more restrained.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ruggington posted:

The japanese soundtrack for dbz is bad

as are the grandma voices

I disagree on the soundtrack. I absolutely agree on the grandma voices. Even I, who am usually really pro-sub, can't take Dragon Ball in Japanese at all entirely because of Nozawa's Goku.

The right choice is the Latin American dub no matter what, but when that's not avaliable, I prefer to stick with the English voices.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Sean Schemmel's Goku is like half my childhood and Faulconer's Soundtrack is :krad:. Suck it it weaboos, dub forever.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I disagree on the soundtrack. I absolutely agree on the grandma voices. Even I, who am usually really pro-sub, can't take Dragon Ball in Japanese at all entirely because of Nozawa's Goku.

The right choice is the Latin American dub no matter what, but when that's not avaliable, I prefer to stick with the English voices.

Nozawa playing Goku, Gohan, Goten, and Bardock is so loving dumb. Like it makes sense enough when the characters are kids but come on.

The Japanese score I could give or take, Faulconer would be ideal but I can handle its absence.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

*vegeta powers up his planet-eradicating garlic gun*

*japanese soundtrack cues up the sound of a cartoon dinosaur comically falling over*

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I can tolerate the japanese dub but it feels like fake prototype early access dragonball where they haven't worked out all the bugs

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Ruggington posted:

*vegeta powers up his planet-eradicating garlic gun*

*japanese soundtrack cues up the sound of a cartoon dinosaur comically falling over*

tbf he turns into a giant monkey soon after

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Neo_Crimson posted:

Sean Schemmel's Goku is like half my childhood and Faulconer's Soundtrack is :krad:. Suck it it weaboos, dub forever.

Yeah, I gotta say, the first time I saw Battle of Gods it was subbed, and I only thought it was "okay." Once I watched it dubbed, I thought it was "loving hilarious and awesome." I really can't stand how high-pitched Goku sounds in Japanese. Also this scene is way better with the Faulconer score :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdEbG49_Zkc

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

tbf he turns into a giant monkey soon after

this is a very serious situation that requires very serious synth-filled buttrock

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Is the Latin American dub available on the internet anywhere? I want to listen to it despite knowing less than zero Spanish because everybody says it's awesome.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, the Faulconer score is generally quite good, it's just not always used well. Take a look at Freeza and Cell's death, for instance - they both use the Ginyu Body Change leitmotif while the baddies are getting blown up, but it works way worse for Cell because Vegeta's theme is playing as Vegeta distracts Cell, then Gohan freaks out and finally starts to overpower him all while the music build - and then the music just slam-cuts to the Ginyu music out of nowhere without even trying to stay with the choreography. poo poo like that really lets the music itself down a bit.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, the Faulconer score is generally quite good, it's just not always used well. Take a look at Freeza and Cell's death, for instance - they both use the Ginyu Body Change leitmotif while the baddies are getting blown up, but it works way worse for Cell because Vegeta's theme is playing as Vegeta distracts Cell, then Gohan freaks out and finally starts to overpower him all while the music build - and then the music just slam-cuts to the Ginyu music out of nowhere without even trying to stay with the choreography. poo poo like that really lets the music itself down a bit.

Alternatively, that was dope.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Szmitten posted:

Alternatively, that was dope.

Yeeeah, its good music, but i agree with Spiritus Nox. Faulconer's score was poorly used in the show, but its still good!

It wouldn't have hurt to have an occasional moment of quiet for atmosphere when it suited the scene!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I really wish they'd bring his music back for Super, with the benefit of hindsight they'd be better able to fit the score to the action and even drop it when it's not needed.

But it's never gonna happen, I wouldn't doubt that Toei has a contract in place that says Funi needs to use the original music, so we're gonna be stuck with whatever they end up using.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Xad posted:

Also this scene is way better with the Faulconer score :colbert:

If by "better" you mean "a thousand times more cringe-worthy", then yes you are correct.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Augus posted:

If by "better" you mean "a thousand times more cringe-worthy", then yes you are correct.

I dunno I thought it was synced up pretty well, even if the song doesn't work out right for the alternating tone of the scene.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
What happened to Faulconer anyway? Did he do anything after DBZ? Any reason why he wasn't called in to do another soudntrack for Kai?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Let's just cut the pretense and get Team Four Star to do all the dubbing, it's what the people (the good people) want anyway

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Neo_Crimson posted:

What happened to Faulconer anyway? Did he do anything after DBZ? Any reason why he wasn't called in to do another soudntrack for Kai?

Likely just the fact that re-scoring anime soundtracks kind of fell out of fashion after the 90's with all the dubbing studios that had half a brain behind them (aka not 4kids)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Xad posted:

Yeah, I gotta say, the first time I saw Battle of Gods it was subbed, and I only thought it was "okay." Once I watched it dubbed, I thought it was "loving hilarious and awesome." I really can't stand how high-pitched Goku sounds in Japanese. Also this scene is way better with the Faulconer score :colbert:

I didn't really like any of the old dbz movies but this is like one of my top moments in all of DBZ :allears:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

projecthalaxy posted:

Let's just cut the pretense and get Team Four Star to do all the dubbing, it's what the people (the good people) want anyway

Most of the VAs dubbing the new stuff are phenomenal, I love TFS but it's not really fair to have a handful of people come in to replace more actors who are doing a great job.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I dunno I thought it was synced up pretty well, even if the song doesn't work out right for the alternating tone of the scene.

It doesn't match the tone of the scene period. It's just a 12-year old's idea of "how do I make this scene 10 times more epicer?"
The Falconer soundtrack as a whole is mediocre at best. Yeah there are a handful of highlights that fans will never let you forget because they'll keep making videos where they use them to make every scene from every anime more epicer, but all-around it's mostly just dull ambience. The only appeal I really see in it is nostalgia for a better age where dubbing companies didn't really care about the source material or quality assurance and also didn't really think much of the audience.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

He couldn't just let the part of the scene where Bulma freaks out on Beerus/Bills be silent? The build up didn't fit in at all. Vegeta powering up was pretty epic though.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Xad posted:

Nah, it doesn't fit the tone of the film at all.

The Bruce Faulconer score worked best for Cool Serious Scenes but not for light hearted stuff like BoG

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Augus posted:

It doesn't match the tone of the scene period. It's just a 12-year old's idea of "how do I make this scene 10 times more epicer?"
The Falconer soundtrack as a whole is mediocre at best. Yeah there are a handful of highlights that fans will never let you forget because they'll keep making videos where they use them to make every scene from every anime more epicer, but all-around it's mostly just dull ambience. The only appeal I really see in it is nostalgia for a better age where dubbing companies didn't really care about the source material or quality assurance and also didn't really think much of the audience.

I think that's really unfair. Nostalgia is a factor for a ton of people but I think Falconer's score does a lot for intense scenes. Sure the Japanese score works, but the way Falconer uses synth really complements the way you're supposed to feel the energy crackle off of these characters when they let loose. The Japanese score doesn't have any of that quality, if you ask me.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

He couldn't just let the part of the scene where Bulma freaks out on Beerus/Bills be silent? The build up didn't fit in at all. Vegeta powering up was pretty epic though.

Well it's an edit, but the editor should have cut the music at that part. It's really dumb.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 3, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Augus posted:

a better age where dubbing companies didn't really care about the source material or quality assurance and also didn't really think much of the audience.

Say what you will about other dubs at that time period but I think that's a really unfair thing to say about Funimation Dragon Ball.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

The Bruce Faulconer score worked best for Cool Serious Scenes but not for light hearted stuff like BoG

Yes, thank you. The Faulconer score is terrible outside of the "epic scenes". The loving "joke music" tracks they would use during any kind of light hearted scene was so bush league even when I was like 12.

Kai is so good in part because they use the Japanese soundtrack.

This is what I'm talking about, and you hear this like four times a week at least on Toonami:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsUJ_k3-1QE (around 10 seconds into the video)

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

tbh I generally prefer the dub soundtrack but it can be used pretty poorly

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Forgot how bad Frieza voice was in the older dub. So used to his newer voice from Kai and Xenoverse. Do like Abridged Frieza a lot in tone, but sometimes the lines reminds me of Stewie from Family Guy and that just bugs me.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I really really dig the newer Schemmel, starting from when they re dubbed the old vanilla Z going forward, and from Kai on he's been loving phenomenal. I also love love love Sonny Strait as Krillin. I like Sabat's Piccolo but I really do not like his Vegeta. I never have and I don't think I will. It's been much better ever since he made it his own, but Ryo Horikawa's smooth rich rear end in a top hat voice makes the character. So my magical ideal dub would basically be the current Funi cast but with Japanese Vegeta's voice. If that makes me a weeaboo then so be it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I mostly like Schemmel because he/Funi give Dub Goku more classically heroic delivery and lines, which make him seem a bit less like a creepy, punch-obsessed man-child. And, I mean, he's drat good at the punchy screamy bits too.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I accidentally ignored a phone call from Sean Schemmel once and I pray to his altar for forgiveness everyday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bunch of weebs itt complaining about faulconers good soundtrack and gokus manly dub voice

• Locked thread