Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's the same as it's been for 3-4 years, ymmv with navigation apps. If you're in a big city you're probably well off with any.

If you have lag issues with the position of your car there's some software / hardware issue at play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Nokia's Here didn't start very well. I open it up and the app believes I'm 1km+ from where I'm actually at.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

I wish Minneapolis/St. Paul metro transit would just loving port their Android app over to iOS. They don't seem to have any open sharing of their real time data, so every other app just uses the posted schedules, which are often wrong. But the Android one I used to have used real time directly from them, and was almost always dead on. It upsets me that it's not on my current phone.

Use the Transit app. It has realtime for Metro Transit.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Basically all the maps apps on an iPhone are going to be roughly the same wrt your position on the map - there's not really much scope for doing things to the location data apple gives you. Maybe road-snapping or similar but that's not always going to be right either. Generally you'll find that if you have a bad location in one app you can open one of the others and see the same bad location.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

My Google Maps app kept crashing at random the other day while I was driving and using it for navigation. I think I may just use the Apple one today just for safety.

One of the fixes in the just-released version 4.5 of google maps is for random crashing during navigation; no promises but might work better now?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
If your location is way off, turn off wifi and reopen the maps app of your choice. The assisted GPS sometimes puts too much emphasis on the wifi connection - we just moved offices and it adamantly shows me at the old location if I'm inside and it can't get an immediate GPS lock.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Google Maps is quite dumb about continuing to read off long verbal instructions when your position on screen clearly indicates that you have obeyed said instruction so shut up and put my music back on. :argh:

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
What's the name of that app that deletes the stuff in the Other section of your phone?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Lifeline is a neat game but the dialog is too often jokey and sarcastic. It messes it up a little bit...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

keevo posted:

What's the name of that app that deletes the stuff in the Other section of your phone?

PhoneExpander but it's not working on 8.3 yet

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Could anyone recommend a good (and preferably free) .pdf reader? It doesn't need to be able to edit them or anything, just read them.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
iBooks?

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Could anyone recommend a good (and preferably free) .pdf reader? It doesn't need to be able to edit them or anything, just read them.

For free programs, Documents 5 is probably your best bet now that the Adobe app has in-app purchases.

If you don't mind paying, then you really can't beat GoodReader.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Good god I'm retarded. Thank you.

RhoA posted:

For free programs, Documents 5 is probably your best bet now that the Adobe app has in-app purchases.

If you don't mind paying, then you really can't beat GoodReader.

Thanks to you as well!

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

They finally patched Trillian. I've used it for like 30 seconds but it appears we may have a functional AIM client now.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Where did you get a functional time machine to take you back to 1999 though

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

An ICQ iOS release would be pretty great.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Only if it uses the UH OH! sound for its notifications.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Laugh it up you gently caress tards, I chat on AIM and so do my friends who are definitely wayyyyy cooler than you butt lickers, and also trillian doesn't just do AIM. I bet you feel so stupid now.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

An Enormous Boner posted:

Laugh it up you gently caress tards, I chat on AIM and so do my friends who are definitely wayyyyy cooler than you butt lickers, and also trillian doesn't just do AIM. I bet you feel so stupid now.

ICQ has also had an official ios client for a long while now. It does not make the uh oh sound, but that is readily available on audiko.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Kaizoku posted:

ICQ has also had an official ios client for a long while now. It does not make the uh oh sound, but that is readily available on audiko.

Serious question. Who's using ICQ in 2015???

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The last time I used AIM was like 2009 and I haven't really heard of anyone else using it since then either, so I kind of assumed it had died off completely around the same time MySpace did.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

tuyop posted:

Same people who are paying hundreds of dollars for ICQ numbers with a low digit count on eBay: the legitimately disturbed.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Bucket Joneses posted:

Same people who are paying hundreds of dollars for ICQ numbers with a low digit count on eBay: the legitimately disturbed.

What's the benefit of a low digit count?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

tuyop posted:

What's the benefit of a low digit count?

The lower the number the older the account and the higher the 'prestige'.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Pissflaps posted:

The lower the number the older the account and the higher the 'prestige'.

Is this like the three character twitter usernames that everyone tries to hack?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Very similar I expect.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

tuyop posted:

Russian hackers

geera
May 20, 2003

Bucket Joneses posted:

My ICQ number was in the low 400k. Am I looking at hamburger money or college fund money on eBay?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You're looking at getting laughed off the internet at this point.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

xzzy posted:

You're looking at getting laughed off the internet at this point.

Laughed off the internet, eh?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
hahahahaha get off the internet, loser

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So the people who make Popcorn Time have found a way to basically sideload apps on non-jailbroken iOS devices from your Mac now:
http://lifehacker.com/you-can-now-install-popcorn-time-for-ios-from-your-mac-1702335903

Can confirm it works. It feels bizarre installing an app from your Mac.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Popcorn time worked once on my Iphone now just crashes when I try load it. Anyone else having this issue?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Looks like YouTube switched their API and broke Jasmine and Protube. Have any of the other third party clients updated?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
What's wrong with the default app?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

Besides being laggy and having a stupid interface you mean?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

xzzy posted:

Besides being laggy and having a stupid interface you mean?

Has literally never lagged for me and the UX seems pretty straight forward :confused:

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

I can't turn off the screen and listen to youtube based podcasts.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

Can't toggle 1080p unless you're on wifi. Tubex lets you over cell data.

Tubex also claims to have a solution to this new API implementation.

E:

LionYeti posted:

I can't turn off the screen and listen to youtube based podcasts.

I believe Tubex lets you do this as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why do you give a poo poo about 1080p vs. 720p on a 5.5" (at most) screen? You're lying if you say you can tell a difference.