Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

mdemone posted:

Was it the bit where she sees the letters being written? That's the one that sticks out most to me, some months after finishing it.

No, though that was good too. I was thinking of what she finds at the lighthouse. Actually the whole lighthouse sequence-- I feel like it gave more of a sense of how screwed up Area X is than the Tower did, in some ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Finally managed to get my hands on TED Klein's Dark Gods. I may have to look into buying The Ceremonies from overseas...

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
This guy has really good prose.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Neurosis posted:

This guy has really good prose.

Yeah. His crippling writer's block was a real loss for the horror scene in the 80s and 90s.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I only ever read that one HPL-themed story about a tribal horror hauntng an old writer; did he write anything else of interest?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Can anyone recommend some good anthologies of weird fiction? I'm a big fan of Lovecraft and have recently been listening to a weird fiction/horror podcast called Pseudopod and I'm really enjoying it. A collection of similar short stories would be great, as I usually read slowly and for short periods of time. I've seen Thomas LIgotti's name come up a lot, so I'll look for stuff by him, but would appreciate other recommendations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You definitely want The Weird and The New Weird edited by Anne and Jeff VanderMeer.

For more Lovecraftian-specific anthologies, I believe the consensus ITT recommends the Book of Cthulhu and Black Wings series. I also recommend The New Lovecraft Circle in particular.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Great, thanks!

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

There's an anthology of highlights from the old Famous Fantastic Mysteries pulp magazine that's really good. I'm not sure it's still in print, but you might be able to find a used copy stupid cheap, and it's full of great stuff.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Brian Evenson's Wind Eye and Fugue State are some of the best weird fiction I've read. I blazed through them whereas I'm struggling to wade through Ligotti's purple prose.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Catfishenfuego posted:

Brian Evenson's Wind Eye and Fugue State are some of the best weird fiction I've read. I blazed through them whereas I'm struggling to wade through Ligotti's purple prose.

I've read nearly every bit of Ligotti that I can afford; I'm having trouble agreeing with your sentiment about his writing.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I've read nearly every bit of Ligotti that I can afford; I'm having trouble agreeing with your sentiment about his writing.

Sunk cost fallacy is a bitch. Brian Evenson is a much clearer writer.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

fez_machine posted:

Sunk cost fallacy is a bitch. Brian Evenson is a much clearer writer.

I've never found Ligotti to be vague or overly-wordy. In fact, I think his writing is rather on-the-nose.

* - for the genre, at least.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Stephen King's Revival feature some Lovecraftian themes, the supernatural consequences of a man dabbling with unknown science and the lurking danger of something out of this world. However its Stephen King, so its par for the course with lots of words and the whole life in the 60s/70s thing he loves so much. But I kinda liked it. Especially the ending.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 18, 2015

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

For my money, Windeye is the best single-author weird tale collection out there.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I'd also note that Weird Tales, the magazine, is currently available, being published quarterly.

http://www.weirdtales.com/

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Xotl posted:

I'd also note that Weird Tales, the magazine, is currently available, being published quarterly.

http://www.weirdtales.com/

Is it just me or is that site terribly designed? I clicked around opening new tabs and trying to scroll through static cover images for a minute or two before giving up.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Can anyone comment on Tim Curran's The Hive vs. The Dead Sea? I finished The Dead Sea a bit ago and while I enjoyed it I felt it could have been about a hundred pages shorter without him mentioning that, "There's seaweed everywhere and this place is creepy. No, seriously, it's really creepy.", every other paragraph.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Is it just me or is that site terribly designed? I clicked around opening new tabs and trying to scroll through static cover images for a minute or two before giving up.

No, it's not just you. It is very pretty at the expense of almost everything else. But the subscription link works, and I bought one. I'll do a trip report when my first issue comes in.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Dr. Benway posted:

Can anyone comment on Tim Curran's The Hive vs. The Dead Sea? I finished The Dead Sea a bit ago and while I enjoyed it I felt it could have been about a hundred pages shorter without him mentioning that, "There's seaweed everywhere and this place is creepy. No, seriously, it's really creepy.", every other paragraph.

I had the exact same thought. The hive is much better. It's essentially at the mountains of madness extended edition.

Seriously, dead Sea could have been cut in half.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Glad at least one other person felt the same. Thought I was just being jaded. There are a lot of books that I want to read coming out soon, but I'll check out The Hive and the sequel once I'm through with those.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I find most of Curran's full-length novels are like that. He has a really great idea, goes through some good setup and a good ending, but the middle section tends to be the same situations over and over again. His latest novel, Doll Face, was like that; I get it, Tim, there's some hosed up poo poo going on in this town, you don't need to keep beating me over the head with it.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Just finished Laird Barron's "The Light is the Darkness" and Mike Allen's "Unseaming" last night while out camping. Neither of them really wowed me or gave me those Lovecraftian chills down my spine, unfortunately. Which is a little disappointing, because some of Laird Barron's other stuff is the only thing outside of Lovecraft to give me those chills.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Has anyone read that Laird Barron tribute anthology? Is it any good?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ravenkult posted:

It's in my TBR pile. I'm doing a bunch of field work this week and will have a lot of downtime, so I'll move it up to the top and let you know.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Is this Children of Old Leech we're talking about? If that's the case I may do the same.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I've never found Ligotti to be vague or overly-wordy. In fact, I think his writing is rather on-the-nose.

* - for the genre, at least.

I'd go further by saying he is the greatest living horror writer.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

God Of Paradise posted:

Cool, have you read Brian Evenson or Josh Simmons?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

God Of Paradise posted:

Ligotti really needs someone to rescue his work from himself.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I just came poking around looking for a thread talking about Ligotti. I've just read My Work Is Not Yet Done and Teatro Grottesco. I was a bit startled by his style: I guess I expected something more impenetrable or wailingly nihilistic. Instead he's plain and rigorously unadorned. He has a way of repeating details over and over like he wants to be sure you've noticed them, which I ended up liking quite a bit. He goes back to the same well over and over but it's a pretty good well!

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

General Battuta posted:

I just came poking around looking for a thread talking about Ligotti. I've just read My Work Is Not Yet Done and Teatro Grottesco. I was a bit startled by his style: I guess I expected something more impenetrable or wailingly nihilistic. Instead he's plain and rigorously unadorned. He has a way of repeating details over and over like he wants to be sure you've noticed them, which I ended up liking quite a bit. He goes back to the same well over and over but it's a pretty good well!

This. He's got his own style, it isn't difficult to wrap your head around his prose, and he's loving awesome.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

fez_machine posted:

Cool, have you read Brian Evenson or Josh Simmons?

No, and no on a technicality. Can't really compare the written word to a bunch of drawings without text.

But thanks for reminding me about Evenson. I read an article about that guy once and was really interested in his story as a former Mormon, so it made me want to read his work. Then I forgot all about him. I have a special hatred in my heart for the FLDS. I had to change numbers twice after reporting on their parasitic pedophilic pyramid scheme, and municipalities in my area hiring their front companies for construction jobs.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

God Of Paradise posted:

No, and no on a technicality. Can't really compare the written word to a bunch of drawings without text.

But thanks for reminding me about Evenson. I read an article about that guy once and was really interested in his story as a former Mormon, so it made me want to read his work. Then I forgot all about him. I have a special hatred in my heart for the FLDS. I had to change numbers twice after reporting on their parasitic pedophilic pyramid scheme, and municipalities in my area hiring their front companies for construction jobs.

:stare:

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

And I didn't even mention the interview subject showing me the gun in his belt in the middle of a Starbucks. This wasn't a breaking news reporter who beat the cops to a crime scene scenario. This is a sit down interview scenario.

Seriously, gently caress those people. I'm buying Father of Lies purely on principle of hatred at this point.

I sincerely hope the entire upper echelon currently ran by Lyle Jeffs, and the mafia they use to control their own members get absolutely massacred by federal agents in another Waco.

Anyway, enough. Ligotti is one of my favorite writers. I have many favorite writers that are cult writers, a strong core fanbase and a larger group of hecklers. Ellison, Celine, and now I guess Ligotti.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 7, 2015

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

General Battuta posted:

I just came poking around looking for a thread talking about Ligotti. I've just read My Work Is Not Yet Done and Teatro Grottesco.

I'm pretty sure I've said it before in here, but it's well worth hunting out a copy of the Nightmare Factory ('96, I think) if you can find it for non-stupid prices. Tons of wonderful stuff.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ghostwoods posted:

I'm pretty sure I've said it before in here, but it's well worth hunting out a copy of the Nightmare Factory ('96, I think) if you can find it for non-stupid prices. Tons of wonderful stuff.

That one is just his first two collections put together. It's far cheaper to pick up the ebook editions of those.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Ornamented Death posted:

That one is just his first two collections put together. It's far cheaper to pick up the ebook editions of those.

There's more in there than just Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe and, more importantly, they're the original publisher-edited versions of the stories and not the sad new "revised and definitive" versions.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ravenkult posted:

Circling back to this, it's fairly good. No outright bad stories (even Pulver dials it back quite a bit from his usual) and several that are quite good. Several of the stories are written as sequels or prequels to Barron's stories.

If you are a fan of Barron, it is definitely worth a read.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Is this the thread for general horror discussion, or should I make a thread for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Talmonis posted:

Is this the thread for general horror discussion, or should I make a thread for it?

Either way works. I suspect that a general horror thread would attract more discussion and be more useful, though it will likely kill this one.