Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"

El Scotch posted:

E: I don't know if this was posted earlier in the week but Jag is bringing back the straight-six :toot:

Straight six supremacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

How the hell did they make the beltline taller. That thing must have a camera pointed out in every direction, and a screen in place of the windshield.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Its gotta be an illusion, the side windows can't be that small

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Its gotta be an illusion, the side windows can't be that small
This post brought to you by optimism.
And GM.
Because those things go together so well.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

We're not talking about the old GM here. No, not the new GM either. This is the new new GM.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

We're not talking about the old GM here. No, not the new GM either. This is the new new GM.

new new GM, same as the new GM

GM. GM never changes.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Hey now new GM was pretty good. New new GM seems run by a new generation of the same sort of idiots as old GM though. Also they successfully drove off most of the key players of new GM in the transitional power struggle

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I thought we were on like the 5th new at this point? This one is old old old GM but with wayfarers.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Mr. Apollo posted:

Anyone see the "birth" ad for the new Audi RS3? Supposedly we're getting the sedan version in North America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHclD1LZS3Y

They must have used the same advertising agency as Mercedes did here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHs663AXgbM

Alternate version of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTIfjxNHEPw

Modern day adverts are loving weird.

E: Actually, the MB ad is pretty genius. Still weird though.

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 3, 2015

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

By the time we have our finances sorted out to buy, the gt should be right at the top of my price range. The only options I give a poo poo about are ac, Bluetooth, and cruise control so I save some money not needing prostate massage seats or whatever the gently caress they're putting in cars these days.

Yeah that's thing I don't get about this thread. When people actually get down to the nitty gritty of talking what options they want on a car they would realistically buy all this infotainment poo poo that people want in their car is going to be horribly out of date in 10 years and probably half of it not working. I say keep it simple.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Coredump posted:

Yeah that's thing I don't get about this thread. When people actually get down to the nitty gritty of talking what options they want on a car they would realistically buy all this infotainment poo poo that people want in their car is going to be horribly out of date in 10 years and probably half of it not working. I say keep it simple.

Most people buy a new car by then

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Coredump posted:

The lovely thing is that for a lot of brands/models, often some of the features you do care about are only available if you step up to the $4000 infotainment bullshit system. Like if I want the bluetooth and heated seats I stupidly have to spring for the lovely overpriced infotainment system.

Or even worse, some options (like a manual transmission) become unavailable on higher trim levels. Like why can't I have leather seats and a manual transmission, how the gently caress are those incompatible options.

Coredump posted:

all this infotainment poo poo that people want in their car is going to be horribly out of date in 10 years and probably half of it not working

10 years? Most of the infotainment poo poo is already terrible and outdated sitting on the lot before it's even sold. The ideal system would just sync with my smartphone and effectively just mirror the display on the dash at a larger scale.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 3, 2015

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Mange Mite posted:

Most people buy a new car by then

What forum are you on right now?

Guinness posted:

The lovely thing is that for a lot of brands/models, often some of the features you do care about are only available if you step up to the $4000 infotainment bullshit system. Like if I want the bluetooth and heated seats I stupidly have to spring for the lovely overpriced infotainment system.

Or even worse, some options (like a manual transmission) become unavailable on higher trim levels. Like why can't I have leather seats and a manual transmission, how the gently caress are those incompatible options.

Yeah this is a good point.

quote:

10 years? Most of the infotainment poo poo is already terrible and outdated sitting on the lot before it's even sold. The ideal system would just sync with my smartphone and effectively just mirror the display on the dash at a larger scale.

This is why I don't mind the whole "tablet stuck on the dash" design language that some cars such as BMW and Mazda are doing. If only the tablet stuck on the dash did just mirror your phone.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 3, 2015

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Guinness posted:

That's just starting to be a thing, cars are just starting to get the capability to use android auto and apple car play.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Guinness posted:

I especially hate this when I know perfectly loving well that the combination I want is available in other markets, coming from the same loving factory (Mercedes, I'm looking your way...)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Guinness posted:

Subaru and Mazda are both really bad with this. Oh, you don't want the base model? Here, have a CVT!

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Guinness posted:

Kia does this too. No manual on anything but the base trim for some of their cars.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Kia does this too. No manual on anything but the base trim for some of their cars.

Because the take rates on non performance manuals are incredibly low. Hell the take rates of the manual for Kia's sporty cars are also super low. My dealership had a manual Forte5 SX in our inventory for something like 280 days before one of our service advisors bought it.

Why would the manufacturer make them or dealers stock them for that one random person who may or may not buy it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

fknlo posted:

Subaru and Mazda are both really bad with this. Oh, you don't want the base model? Here, have a CVT!

Mazdas autos are ok in manual mode though, for an auto anyway.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kill me now posted:

Because the take rates on non performance manuals are incredibly low. Hell the take rates of the manual for Kia's sporty cars are also super low. My dealership had a manual Forte5 SX in our inventory for something like 280 days before one of our service advisors bought it.

Why would the manufacturer make them or dealers stock them for that one random person who may or may not buy it.

Mazda used to sell all the models with manuals, but nobody bought them. I'm pretty sure the figure was 1% for the Mazda 6 wagon, for example.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
A car I worked on dropped the manual option because the year before the take rate was way below 1%

I want to say that in the sales figures I think they sold 3 manuals total nationwide but it sounds so ridiculous I can't believe it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wonder who does buy those manual cars. I'd guess mostly single male in their early 30s. Younger and they aren't buying new cars. Not single and the car has to be auto.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

smackfu posted:

Not single and the car has to be auto.

That sounds crazy to me as most people are still capable of driving a manual in my part of the world, but I know its going to happen here eventually too.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

As it turns out, single or not single, most people don't want a manual.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Coredump posted:

What forum are you on right now?
They did say "most people" and not AI'ers.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

smackfu posted:

I wonder who does buy those manual cars. I'd guess mostly single male in their early 30s. Younger and they aren't buying new cars. Not single and the car has to be auto.

90% of the manual drivers I know are early 20s/late teens females. Then again, strange demographic being the military.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

razorscooter posted:

This. Give me a well-designed auto that knows how to get out of its own way over a manual any day. Or if it has to be manual, at least do a DCT.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

razorscooter posted:

I love manuals for fun driving, but for my daily commute I'd much rather have an auto that works well.

Since I'm down to a single car now, I went with the manual, but if I ever get back to having a 'weekend car' and a daily driver both, you can bet that the daily driver will be an auto. There is zero fun to be had with a manual transmission in rush hour stop and go traffic.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

This. Give me a well-designed auto that knows how to get out of its own way over a manual any day. Or if it has to be manual, at least do a DCT.

Dual-clutch boxes are automatics, no matter how smugly their buyers defend their purchase with "it's not an automatic, it's an automated manual."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Dual-clutch boxes are automatics, no matter how smugly their buyers defend their purchase with "it's not an automatic, it's an automated manual."

There is literally nothing about the actual shifting process that I want to be involved in other than being able to select the gear I want quickly and easily. Working the clutch myself provides absolutely nothing to the driving experience (for me) except that it gives something for my left foot to do.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 4, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Honestly dual clutches make me nervous re: reliability. Modern torque convertors with full lockup are good and almost as fast

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 4, 2015

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

KillHour posted:

Yeah, automatic transmissions are steadily improving to where a manual would offer little to no improvement in fuel economy in real-world driving.

And speaking of dual clutch transmissions, I understand the 2016 Smart car is supposed to be getting one of those (to replace the manual transmission crudely hacked into an automatic).

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
I'm afraid that the next time someone says, "It doesn't have a clutch, but it has the paddles on the shifter to go up and down" I'm going to very visably roll my eyes. I hate feeling like I'm becoming some automotive smuglord, but I think I hate hearing people say that more.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Neptr posted:

I'm afraid that the next time someone says, "It doesn't have a clutch, but it has the paddles on the shifter to go up and down" I'm going to very visably roll my eyes. I hate feeling like I'm becoming some automotive smuglord, but I think I hate hearing people say that more.

Third pedal manual transmissions are already squarely in the same realm as the people that listen to music on vinyl. In the same way that a digital music file is better than a record from any measurable metric, it is about the experience of doing it rather than it actually providing some sort of real world benefit. Automatics are better at performance and better at fuel economy, and with the way manufacturing works it's cheaper for a manufacturer to shove automatics in everything.
I love true manual transmissions too but I know that they are worse and the options for them are going to only be in the enthusiast cars, and only for a bit longer.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I have intentions of buying an F150 in the next couple years. I'll wait until at least 2017 to get the 10 speed over the 6 speed. It just seems like a much better transmission.

Paddles are good enough for some things, but I still hate TCs until they do engine braking (or regen braking, I suppose as it feels the same) when coasting.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Automatics are better at performance and better at fuel economy, and with the way manufacturing works it's cheaper for a manufacturer to shove automatics in everything.

Not the type of automatics you're likely to find in a cheap economy car.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

dissss posted:

Not the type of automatics you're likely to find in a cheap economy car.

Which cheap economy cars still have bad transmissions? All of the major manufacturers are putting either CVTs, dry dual-clutch trans, or 8+ speed traditional autos in their cheapest cars now. Even the rental car special Chrysler 200 has a 9 speed now.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

it just lacks the warmth of vinyl and feels so digital

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Which cheap economy cars still have bad transmissions? All of the major manufacturers are putting either CVTs, dry dual-clutch trans, or 8+ speed traditional autos in their cheapest cars now. Even the rental car special Chrysler 200 has a 9 speed now.

Those cheaper CVTs are terrible, as are the 7 speed dual clutch models VW uses on their cheap stuff (which are set up for test cycle economy and flat out don't work in the real world).

As for conventional autos there are still a lot of 5 speeds and even some 4 speeds about (Yaris, Swift, i20, 208 etc). Then you have stuff like the Fiat single clutch thing in the Panda that feels like a manual driven by someone who has never driven a manual before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Twerk from Home posted:

The transmission is definitely the worst part about our Kia Soul.