Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008
I don't really understand why people think aiming is so hard, just take an extra second if you're far away and use the information you get from holding alt. If you're not sure take another second to watch what they're doing. It's not FPS put crosshairs on man and mash trigger easy, but it's not like you're doing orbital mechanics in your head. Now having said that I'll freely admit I'm terrible with torpedoes, but part of that comes from going back and forth between US and IJN cruisers and destroyers and having enough of a difference in how the torpedoes behave to screw me up. Now if only I could remember to use smoke when I'm on a destroyer, and remember that I don't have it when I'm playing a cruiser, but that's entirely user error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

How are the store-only preorder boats? I'm pretty impressed with the feel of the game and am ready to :retrogames:

the destroyers are good, the sims being very good, and the russian one being alright.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Okay, so this was kinda hilarious. Saw another idiotic draw coming because my team was adamant about not capping, but chasing the only enemy ship (a Lexington) that half the map away three minutes before the timer ran out.

Long story short, our Ranger was one of the most :black101: carrier players I've ever seen. He moved in arouund that flank. ~30 seconds before the end of the match, he enters secondary range with the Lexington. Around five seconds left on the clock, he rams the Lexington who had realised and tried to evade far too late for it to matter. :allears:

Beach Bum posted:

How are the store-only preorder boats? I'm pretty impressed with the feel of the game and am ready to :retrogames:

The Yubari is fragile as any IJN light cruiser, but nicely maneuverable and has decent guns, hilarious amounts of AA for its tier and torpedos with very limited firing arcs, but very high damage for the tier.

Grem is a kinda strange DD that works best as a long-range skirmisher. Guns that are good at long range, but turn like crap and torpedos that are reasonably fast and powerful and can be launched from outside detection range.

The Sims is basically the archetype american DD - it's almost identical with the Benson at T8, except for having torpedos that are exclusively useful for knife-fight ambushes and having worse camouflage. It's fast and zippy even for a DD and the guns both have a very high rate of fire and turn around so fast that you'll get whiplash. It chews up most other DDs in close and can be annoying as hell for cruisers and BBs by dancing around at its maximum gun range.

Magni fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 3, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Beach Bum posted:

The Sims and Grem are worth it - the Japanese ship is not. However, the Sims being decent is offset a decent amount by it being T7, while the Grem plays like a light cruiser and has more relaxed MM at T5.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I just killed 2 cruisers, 1 destroyer and a BB all with my Gremyaschy guns. It scores ridiculous citadel hits all the time and does loads of damage with AP shells that have laser sharp precision.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
Loving the Warspite, even with the low range of its main guns. As long as I don't end up on the open ocean map the islands make it easy to close the range and it has some nice tanky armor.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Michi88 posted:

Loving the Warspite, even with the low range of its main guns. As long as I don't end up on the open ocean map the islands make it easy to close the range and it has some nice tanky armor.

It also has the turning rate of a cruiser which means carrier players have a lot of trouble getting a good torpedo run on players who pay attention to their surroundings. drat I hate the Warspite. :arghfist:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Had a game in my Ranger where I ended up killing 2 DDs with my secondaries :smug:

(then I sank from flooding and we lost cause I was the last ship alive)

Dalael posted:

It also has the turning rate of a cruiser which means carrier players have a lot of trouble getting a good torpedo run on players who pay attention to their surroundings. drat I hate the Warspite. :arghfist:
I think you mean Destroyer; 550m turning radius means that it literally turns as fast as most low tier DDs and the Sims.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
So what's the deal with the Warspite? Is it sort of like a light Battleship that handles like a cruiser?

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

So what's the deal with the Warspite? Is it sort of like a light Battleship that handles like a cruiser?

It's too slow for that - it's more like a better version of the Kawachi that can just laugh at most torpedo runs

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Insert name here posted:

Had a game in my Ranger where I ended up killing 2 DDs with my secondaries :smug:

(then I sank from flooding and we lost cause I was the last ship alive)

I think you mean Destroyer; 550m turning radius means that it literally turns as fast as most low tier DDs and the Sims.

I often joke that its a Battleship sized destroyer, but I had never actually bothered to check the stats. Now that you've just told me that.. :negative:

A few days ago, I managed to sink 2 DD's with torpedoes, but completely failed to harm a warspite. I was trying to get my planes in position but it kept turning and I just couldn't get a good shot. Then a Pepsi-cola showed up and I had to pull off.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So. A thing happened.

I'm now ready for the patch. :getin:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

She has a battleship-grade rudder shift (IE it's slow as hell), but once she's thrown the rudder around, she's got a turning radius more in line with a destroyer or light cruiser. Also, very punchy guns and nice amor, but slow and with less range than any IJN battleship past tier 4.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Magni posted:

So. A thing happened.

Congratulations. I hope the patch is this week. I am ready for new ships since I have all the lines I enjoy at tier 8 and cannot force myself to grind to 10, knowing that it will be wiped.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Got the Nagato and have played a few games in it, I'm sorta underwhelmed, going from 12 guns to 8 seems like a step backward.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Holy poo poo I'm literally destroying more ships as a destroyer than I ever have as a cruiser or BB. I took out 3 battleships last game that my team had no hope of defeating.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The Nagato's slightly more accurate and it's secondaries are hilarious. With the upgrade and captain skill you can reach out and punish anything within 8km of you.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Axetrain posted:

Got the Nagato and have played a few games in it, I'm sorta underwhelmed, going from 12 guns to 8 seems like a step backward.

Get the Secondary Battery Mod 2, Advanced Firing Training and the Steering Gear Modification 2.

Use that toughness, agility and brutal secondary battery and roll right up into people's faces and rip them apart in an up-close slugfest. Nagato ain't no sniper, that girl wants to get close and personal.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Magni posted:

So. A thing happened.

same with my Gearing, as of yesterday :toot:

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 4, 2015

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

Holy poo poo I'm literally destroying more ships as a destroyer than I ever have as a cruiser or BB. I took out 3 battleships last game that my team had no hope of defeating.

Yep. Though BBs seem to be supposed to be torp bait to some degree. It's that cruisers are such easy targets that surprised me! The game keeps telling me they're for hunting destroyers, but in a destroyer I see a cruiser and dollar signs float past my eyes.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Warbadger posted:

Yep. Though BBs seem to be supposed to be torp bait to some degree. It's that cruisers are such easy targets that surprised me! The game keeps telling me they're for hunting destroyers, but in a destroyer I see a cruiser and dollar signs float past my eyes.

This is no longer true after tier 6.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Oh, btw, something happened on my last Amagi game.

All I did was score two glancing hits from 20km out on someone because he didn't bother to turn his rudder, then the same happened to another BB on our team and then the shitstorm broke loose. :shrug:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Warbadger posted:

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

This is no longer true after tier 6.

Don't even try to hunt high tier IJN cruisers. They are actually pretty nimble and can slide through your spreads, their guns can kill you in a few hits, as they don't really overpenetrate, and they have lots of them. Probably US ones as well, but I'm still on the Cleveland, which has no real mobility to speak of. Well-driven Fusos can also eat destroyers they're aware of, due to the extra gun turrets allowing them to multiple chances to kill you.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
The US cruisers past the Cleveland are somewhat more vulnerable as they're a bit more sluggish. The Fuso is actually kinda easy to torp because she's long and turns like a brick. It's the Nagato that will really gently caress you up unless you pull a drat-near perfect attack, because she's got a freakishly fast rudder and a horrifying secondary battery.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone have some advice on how to use smoke effectively? I have no idea if what I'm doing is actually helping.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Magni posted:

So. A thing happened.

She has a battleship-grade rudder shift (IE it's slow as hell), but once she's thrown the rudder around, she's got a turning radius more in line with a destroyer or light cruiser. Also, very punchy guns and nice amor, but slow and with less range than any IJN battleship past tier 4.

Good work man! I am 40k away so it's never going to happen for me.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Anyone have some advice on how to use smoke effectively? I have no idea if what I'm doing is actually helping.

Smoke trails from the center of your ship and spreads slowly. To get blocked by smoke, you need to put the smoke between an enemy ship and you.

So you can smoke while running away, or smoke and pull to a halt, and hide yourself. You can't race towards a Cleveland and hope smoke covers you.

Also, press P to turn off your AA guns, they will give you away.

Magni posted:

The US cruisers past the Cleveland are somewhat more vulnerable as they're a bit more sluggish. The Fuso is actually kinda easy to torp because she's long and turns like a brick. It's the Nagato that will really gently caress you up unless you pull a drat-near perfect attack, because she's got a freakishly fast rudder and a horrifying secondary battery.

The Pensacola and New Orleans are nimble. The 9 and 10 are closer to the Cleveland.

The Des Moines can so thoroughly gently caress up destroyers I don't even try. The Balt is a better target I guess.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

demonR6 posted:

Good work man! I am 40k away so it's never going to happen for me.

I was 40k away 2 days ago. Bought myself a premium account with the tokens from the Sims and went to town. Actually had a blast in those last 20 or so matches with the Amagi. Girl really wanted to prove me wrong when I called her worse than the Nagato and she's actually won me over. Never been accused of using aim mod this much. :allears:

I'm right now wondering about what equipment choices to make on the Yamato on the second and third upgrade slots.

2nd slot:
- Secondary Battery Modification 2 for 7km secondary range
- Fire Control Modification for some nebulous accurracy increase on the 46cm guns
- Main Battery Modification 2 - would get my 180 degree turret turn time from 56 seconds (thanks to Aiming Expertise on my captain) down to ~47 seconds, but increase reload from 35 seconds to 38 seconds.

3rd slot:
- AA Gun Modification 3 for 20% more AA damage
- Secondary Battery Modification 3 for 20% more secondary RoF
- Main Battery Modification 3 - 180 degree turret turn time increased to 65 seconds, but reload reduced from 35 seconds to about 31 seconds; makes obviously no sense to combine this with the Main Battery Mod 2 above.

I'm actually genuinely stumped here.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The Pensacola and New Orleans are nimble. The 9 and 10 are closer to the Cleveland.

The Des Moines can so thoroughly gently caress up destroyers I don't even try. The Balt is a better target I guess.

Eh, I only called em slightly sluggish compared to IJN cruisers. Trying to openly charge any of them is pretty suicidal. Smoke screens, islands, runs at distracted ones that have their turrets faced away and launching from just outside detection range are what you generally need to do to survive and enjoy your kill.

Magni fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 4, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Magni posted:

They're not really though? Pensacola after the hull upgrade has a 9.1s rudder shift and a 800m turning radius, and the Baltimore and New Orleans are similar. The aforementioned Cleveland has 9.4s and 830m respectively. The most sluggish US Cruiser is the Des Moines, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that monster in a DD because those guns. :stonk:

E:

Magni posted:

Eh, I only called em slightly sluggish compared to IJN cruisers. Trying to openly charge any of them is pretty suicidal. Smoke screens, islands, runs at distracted ones that have their turrets faced away and launching from just outside detection range are what you generally need to do to survive and enjoy your kill.
Looking at the stats US Cruisers are actually better in terms of turning radius and rudder shift almost across the board, though not by much.

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 4, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Insert name here posted:

They're not really though? Pensacola after the hull upgrade has a 9.1s rudder shift and a 800m turning radius, and the Baltimore and New Orleans are similar. The aforementioned Cleveland has 9.4s and 830m respectively. The most sluggish US Cruiser is the Des Moines, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that monster in a DD because those guns. :stonk:

E:

Looking at the stats US Cruisers are actually better in terms of turning radius and rudder shift almost across the board, though not by much.

That's... suprising. They do kinda feel more sluggish to me when I drive them. Huh. :confused:

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Ok lets talk secret key binds here. I saw in a youtube video that Ctrl X and Shift X and auto orient your turrets at either a sector of the map or your currently view direction of your cursor after about a week of rabid playing. What else don't I know? I've seen people getting their AA to focus on torp squads instead of fighters, and pinging the map? How does one do this?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

NuckmasterJ posted:

Ok lets talk secret key binds here. I saw in a youtube video that Ctrl X and Shift X and auto orient your turrets at either a sector of the map or your currently view direction of your cursor after about a week of rabid playing. What else don't I know? I've seen people getting their AA to focus on torp squads instead of fighters, and pinging the map? How does one do this?

Holding CTRL gives you an in-game cursor with which you can ping the minimap and click on enemy planes and boates to make them a priority target for your AA and secondaries respectively.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Magni posted:

I was 40k away 2 days ago. Bought myself a premium account with the tokens from the Sims and went to town. Actually had a blast in those last 20 or so matches with the Amagi. Girl really wanted to prove me wrong when I called her worse than the Nagato and she's actually won me over. Never been accused of using aim mod this much. :allears:

I was hoping to grind it this weekend but poo poo got crazy and I am just now even booting my computer for the first time.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Magni posted:

I'm right now wondering about what equipment choices to make on the Yamato on the second and third upgrade slots.

2nd slot:
- Secondary Battery Modification 2 for 7km secondary range
- Fire Control Modification for some nebulous accurracy increase on the 46cm guns
- Main Battery Modification 2 - would get my 180 degree turret turn time from 56 seconds (thanks to Aiming Expertise on my captain) down to ~47 seconds, but increase reload from 35 seconds to 38 seconds.

3rd slot:
- AA Gun Modification 3 for 20% more AA damage
- Secondary Battery Modification 3 for 20% more secondary RoF
- Main Battery Modification 3 - 180 degree turret turn time increased to 65 seconds, but reload reduced from 35 seconds to about 31 seconds; makes obviously no sense to combine this with the Main Battery Mod 2 above.

I'm actually genuinely stumped here.
For slot 3 I'd go with the AA Gun mod, since as a Yamato you're going to probably be a prime bomber target. I once got into one of those weird reduced player games in my Ranger where there was a Yamato on the other team. I just spent all game slinging topedoes at him and ended up with 21 hits on him. He didn't sink (Ranger TB damage :argh:) but he literally didn't do anything that entire game other than drive in circles because I kept hammering him. You're kind of a fatass so hitting bombers as hard as possible is probably a good idea.

As for slot 2 I kind of wish we knew how much of an accuracy increase you get from Fire Control Mod, but that would probably be my first choice by default. I say play a few games to see if you feel like the accuracy needs improving and if you feel like it could be a bit tighter throw it on. Otherwise go with the secondaries I guess.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So this game just happened (it was first victory of the day), I should have been dead, but somehow never took that killing blow.

Thanks to bobatron for killing that pesky destroyer that I spent way too much time trying to get off my arse.

I alpha'ed a full health Phoenix, which was pretty funny (to me).

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Just got into this, seems I'm far too impatient /aggressive to play DDs right. Cruisers seem more my style, mobile with some punch. I'll probably get the warspite because gently caress yeah British

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I kinda wish I had an excuse to use the plane view more while playing CVs because watching from above is pretty cool:

Bonus "I think CV AA looks cool":

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
that DD on the bottom had you dead to rights and... missed

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

TheDemon posted:

that DD on the bottom had you dead to rights and... missed
Yeah I guess he didn't expect me to be turning towards him? :shrug: If he had held off for like 3 or 4 seconds I would have been dead. Like I mentioned in an earlier post I ended up killing him too but then died to flooding.

E: Also the other DD whiffed in a similar fashion as I was turning towards him, only hitting with I think 2 torpedoes of his entire salvo.

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 4, 2015

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I know the warsprite is slow, but it seems to have the nagato's fun secondaries as well. It is the only other BB with a 5km secondary range anyway, so those with it might want to look into that.

Also, I picked up an atlanta to try it out. I was unaware it actually had 8 turrets. I only saw the 6, but it has one on either side of the center ala the earlier us cruisers. That means 7 turrets on a broadside. When I let them chain fire one after the other, it is absolutely hilarious to watch. The thing is a murder machine to DDs though. Once you have your line on them, just the volume of shells make DDs regret trying to get near you. On the other hand, I had a game where I was out 4 of my turrets. Those guns seem to be really really vulnerable. Btw, the turret rotation is very fast as well. Similar to the sims. So it just happily murders. I have a feeling the effectiveness of this ship will fall off next patch when the 152mm gun starts to show the need for he more due to bounces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryer Lint
May 17, 2010

Biggest most lovable jerk on the internet.
:sun:
I've been quoting Khalid ibn al Walid in English to my pubby teams and I no poo poo have been winning 90% of my pub matches.

"O men of Islam ! The time has come for steadfastness. Weakness and cowardice lead to disgrace; and he who is steadfast is more deserving of Allah's help!"

"Know that the help of Allah comes according to your desire. Let not the Muslims fear anything so long as they have the help of Allah!"

"Know, O Muslims, that you have never seen a Navy as you see now. If Allah defeats them by your hand, they shall never again stand against you!"