Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Greetings, time travelers from the days when it was cool and edgy to call Tarantino a hack. Stay away from New York on September 11, 2001 and consider investing in Apple stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Len posted:

So I have a weakness for terrible found footage movies on Netflix/Amazon Prime. We've watched VHS 1 & 2, Grave Encounters, and a smattering of other stuff I can't remember the names of but I want more. I seem to remember there being on involving dinosaurs but I can't remember it's name.

Obviously the cheesier the better.

Have you seen Troll Hunter yet? I'm not positive it's still on netflix though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

Greetings, time travelers from the days when it was cool and edgy to call Tarantino a hack. Stay away from New York on September 11, 2001 and consider investing in Apple stock.

I'm not saying he's a hack. I'm saying he has bad movies just like any other director. Either you're defensive because you love Tarantino, or you think people are done worshiping him because you stopped interacting with teenagers and college students.

edit: I will say I did enjoy part 1, and what I saw of part 2. My fiancee refuses to sit through the apparently hour-long dialogue at the end of part 2, so I never saw that part.

22 Eargesplitten has a new favorite as of 03:34 on May 3, 2015

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Twitch posted:

I really liked Re-Animator, it's an H.P. Lovecraft story reimagined as an 80s college movie. The guy who plays Herbert West loving nails it.

Re-Animator and Evil Dead 2 make a Hell of a double feature. I don't know if Evil Dead 2 is still streaming, though.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Netflix stop putting major spoilers in your descriptions please

Do I write my congressman about this or what

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

I was gonna say this but i dont think its on netflix anymore.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Netflix stop putting major spoilers in your descriptions please

Do I write my congressman about this or what

Which movie?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

Which movie?

Passion of the Christ. It said Jesus dies.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ragequit posted:

Passion of the Christ. It said Jesus dies.

Could have been From Dusk Till Dawn. I know how people get about when The Big Reveal that I've never heard referred to as a twist outside of these forums is a revealed early.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Len posted:

Could have been From Dusk Till Dawn. I know how people get about when The Big Reveal that I've never heard referred to as a twist outside of these forums is a revealed early.

Dusk Till Dawn...that's that movie about a young George Clooney having a crazy party at a bar in the middle of nowhere, right? There's a twist in that?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Dusk Till Dawn...that's that movie about a young George Clooney having a crazy party at a bar in the middle of nowhere, right? There's a twist in that?

Yeah that loving Tarantino took them to a strip club and pointed all the cameras at Selma Hayek's feet.

Get help, Q dawg.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Netflix tells me it's really a vampire den

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Len posted:

Netflix tells me it's really a vampire den

Well it was a strip club, so of course they're real bloodsuckers.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Will you guys help me annoy Netflix or Amazon enough that they'll put How It's Made back on streaming? That show is my ultimate sleep aid.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
After a famed newspaper magnate dies, a reporter searches for the meaning of his cryptic last words, without ever finding out that they refer to the magnate's childhood sleigh.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Oldstench posted:

Will you guys help me annoy Netflix or Amazon enough that they'll put How It's Made back on streaming? That show is my ultimate sleep aid.

For me just having it grainy and ugly on YouTube is enough because I'm not watching it at that point but ymmv.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

So Hulu Plus has a metric shitton of Adult Swim/Cartoon Network shows on it now. So if you're like me and are several seasons of Adventure Time and Venture Bros behind since you haven't had regular cable in forever you can catch up on them now.

They also have some of the deeper cuts like Moral Orel and Superjail and Samurai Jack. I'm not sure that either SJ has been available for streaming anywhere before, so that's pretty loving awesome to me.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Thanks for the heads up.

Anywhere I can watch all of Gravity Falls?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Oldstench posted:

Aerial America

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
I watched the Babadook and thought it was pretty ok. I thought the pacing was slow, but when it started ratcheting up it got great.

I also nearly became single today after calling my girlfriend from a number she doesn't know creeping her with "baaaaabbaaaaaadddooooooooooook".

V/H/S is up next.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
So it turns out "Pain and Gain" is funny and good. I'm not sure if it's still on Netflix (and I can't log in to check at the moment since I'm at work), but if it is I definitely recommend it. I had assumed it was just some standard Michael Bay crap, but someone told me it was actually a comedy so I gave it a shot and really enjoyed it. I think it might be on Amazon Prime as well, so give it a shot if you have a couple of hours to kill and want some laughs.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Mentalizer posted:

So it turns out "Pain and Gain" is funny and good. I'm not sure if it's still on Netflix (and I can't log in to check at the moment since I'm at work), but if it is I definitely recommend it. I had assumed it was just some standard Michael Bay crap, but someone told me it was actually a comedy so I gave it a shot and really enjoyed it. I think it might be on Amazon Prime as well, so give it a shot if you have a couple of hours to kill and want some laughs.

Yeah I liked it too.

What the gently caress are notaries man?!

s7indicate3
Aug 22, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Midnight Son

A vampire horror film unlike any other. I highly recommend it.

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
Watched Babadook and while I don't think its exactly a classic, it's different and mildly disturbing enough to stick with you for a while.

I've been walking around the house calling the dog babadook for no good reason, and now my kids are wanting to know what it is. (8 & 12). Wonder if it'd freak them out.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Baxter posted:

Watched Babadook and while I don't think its exactly a classic, it's different and mildly disturbing enough to stick with you for a while.

I've been walking around the house calling the dog babadook for no good reason, and now my kids are wanting to know what it is. (8 & 12). Wonder if it'd freak them out.

I was freaked out by Jurassic Park when I was that age, so you are looking at some pretty extensive therapy bills if you do it. Totally worth it though.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Len posted:

So I have a weakness for terrible found footage movies on Netflix/Amazon Prime. We've watched VHS 1 & 2, Grave Encounters, and a smattering of other stuff I can't remember the names of but I want more. I seem to remember there being on involving dinosaurs but I can't remember it's name.

Obviously the cheesier the better.

I'm a couple weeks late, but the dinosaur one is Area 407, it's one of my favorites. I also have a thing for found footage movies, but unfortunately I've seen pretty much every one they have on netflix 3+ times each. If anyone knows of some that are on other regions but not on US netflix let me know, I'd appreciate it. I'd probably put my top 5 (in no particular order) as Grave Encounters (I even like 2 sometimes), Area 407, Trollhunter, Afflicted (although the beginning is pretty obnoxious), and Apollo 18. I think most or all of those are still on netflix.

The thing I don't get about Babadook is the critics rating - it was at 98% positive on rottentomatoes last I checked. I liked it, but not THAT much. I thought it peaked at the popup book part and then went a bit downhill from there.

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000

1redflag posted:

I was freaked out by Jurassic Park when I was that age, so you are looking at some pretty extensive therapy bills if you do it. Totally worth it though.

I asked my wife about it and she said, very sincerely, "Please, don't". I asked if the movie had gotten to her and she said that it had, kind of, and she didn't even know exactly why. I guess that's the mark of a good scary movie.

Jurassic Park though?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

1redflag posted:

lol

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

1redflag posted:

What's it like to be a total wuss baby? I sat in the front row by myself (my parents were a few rows back, duh) at age 5 to watch Jurassic Park and fuckin' loved it. :smug:

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I loved Jurassic Park when I was a kid, but Tremors scared the poo poo out of me

gently caress you graboids

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Deadite posted:

I loved Jurassic Park when I was a kid, but Tremors scared the poo poo out of me

gently caress you graboids

What's it like to be a total wuss baby? I sat in the front row by myself (my parents were a few rows back, duh) at age 25 to watch Tremors and fuckin' loved it.
:smug:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I loved Tremors as much as the next guy, but Hitch scared the poo poo out of me

gently caress you, Will Smith

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I was traumatized by pinnochio, but getting turned into a donkey and sold into slave labor is pretty dark for a kids movie.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I really like the BBC nature docs Earth: The Power of the Planet and How to Grow a Planet, both narrated by Iain Stewart. I've always loved the David Attenborough documentaries, but these are some nice ones that don't really revolve around animals. They're just solid series about the evolution of the planet via various planetary forces and plant life.

Also, I couldn't sleep right for a year after seeing Earnest Scared Stupid.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

13Pandora13 posted:

What's it like to be a total wuss baby? I sat in the front row by myself (my parents were a few rows back, duh) at age 5 to watch Jurassic Park and fuckin' loved it. :smug:

You must be so tough. Look at Mr. tough guy over here, everybody. Every body please stop to congratulate Mr. tough guy on his tough guyness.

Edit: also, I keep forgetting that the entirety of Comedy Central Presents is in Amazon Prime. So many seasons are just pure gold.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 07:19 on May 14, 2015

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Well this showed up as a recommendation on Prime...

Cane for Self-defense

http://amzn.com/B001PBSJZ6

Seems goony. Also, I watched the first few minutes and the guy's voice was pretty much exactly how I imagined.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Death Dealer posted:

So Hulu Plus has a metric shitton of Adult Swim/Cartoon Network shows on it now. So if you're like me and are several seasons of Adventure Time and Venture Bros behind since you haven't had regular cable in forever you can catch up on them now.

They also have some of the deeper cuts like Moral Orel and Superjail and Samurai Jack. I'm not sure that either SJ has been available for streaming anywhere before, so that's pretty loving awesome to me.

I would also throw in Rick & Morty. definitely my favorite AS cartoon since squidbillies.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Woah, woah, woah, when did they add Bill Nye The Science Guy? Jesus H Christ that's a kick right in the nostalgia.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Woah, woah, woah, when did they add Bill Nye The Science Guy? Jesus H Christ that's a kick right in the nostalgia.

I always loved their musical parodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The girlfriend had me sit through Glee and Gilmore Girls. My turn to force a show on her