Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hey gus, 94 Preludes. Those never came as a 4 speed right? Got one in for a clutch job we couldn't push in until I.......put the clutch in. Car stalls if it's out. One through.four feel like the shifter is totally normal with fifth feeling identical to my 4sp in the civic, not even a hint of a possibility of a gear. Am I on the right path with calling borked tranny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Geirskogul posted:

On the plus side, I've had enough time to write up the following post on my cellphone (my laptop won't connect to the MWR wifi for some reason, except for a few minutes at a time, and then won't connect for days. loving SP3

Jeez.. I've lived here all my life and I never knew that poo poo was going on. I wonder if this type of servicing is why so many cities in the valley have dumped the private ambulance services entirely and included that service into the fire departments.

Do the S/W guys that work out of the Glendale FD stations and run trucks in Glendale FD paint schemes still make the same money as the rural guys, or are they getting Glendale FD pay scales by contract?

Edit:

Got home from my 4 day road trip to Miller Motorsports Park late last night, and successfully managed to not get another ticket. Something like 750 photo's on the camera memory card, no idea when I'll have time to sort through those. Only ones that might be interesting to post here would be the ones from the car museum at MMS.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I'm a little late but if you manage to get another 2 more bottles openers I'd really appreciate it :)

My wife ran a half marathon yesterday at 5k ft elevation with almost another 1k ft in elevation change during the race... I need to stop being such a lazy gently caress when it comes to exercising.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Nevermind. For some reason all 4 doors have to be unlocked for the fuel door to open. Easy fix and free food. :3

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

Hey gus, 94 Preludes. Those never came as a 4 speed right? Got one in for a clutch job we couldn't push in until I.......put the clutch in. Car stalls if it's out. One through.four feel like the shifter is totally normal with fifth feeling identical to my 4sp in the civic, not even a hint of a possibility of a gear. Am I on the right path with calling borked tranny?

Can you put it in reverse? Maybe the linkage popped off.

Preludes of that gen had a fifth gear pop-out issue that was related to the synchro but I don't think you'd get no gear whatsoever.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Goes into Reverse feelwise. Moot point, I had the idea to set the pivots to neutral from the engine bay and turn both front wheels forward by hand and it was turning the engine over so trans seems toast

E: from a Firestone corporate just slap another one in there view

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

So likely 5th is stuck engaged (fork broke?) and if you select any other gear you lock the box.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hey look, no more dumb username that sounds embarassing out loud!

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I'd be up to buy one of those bottle openers. If they're meant to be challenge coins and made locally, lemmie know. An AI-designed keychain bottle opener challenge coin would be pretty cool.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

No Prelude ever sold in the US had a 4 speed manual, not even the 1st gen (78-82, though you could get a 2 speed automatic in them).

And yeah, hosed trans if you've manually set it to neutral (I would say a broken shifter cable was a possibility otherwise). Sounds like it's jammed in 5th internally, especially since you're able to spin the engine easily by turning the wheels. I'd guess a broken shift fork, but I've only taken one manual apart, so I could be wrong.

What happens if you put it in neutral (just barely off the ground), start the engine, and slowly let the clutch out? If the wheels start spinning, you know it's jammed in 5th.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Preludes of that gen had a fifth gear pop-out issue that was related to the synchro but I don't think you'd get no gear whatsoever.

That goes for all Hondas of that era, generally related to running low on fluid, using the wrong fluid, or just shitloads of miles. And you're right, it would only cause it to pop out and/or grind when engaging 5th.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 3, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah if it's like that then the fifth/reverse shift fork sounds busted. That's also typical on Honda manuals if you let them starve of fluid.

If it's that bad then it probably needs a new sleeve and might even need new gears. Time to drop some fluid and see if it comes out chunkay unless you want to make book rate and then just fart in a used transmission.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Check out Johnny Depp's new movie trailer for Black Mass :stare:

https://youtu.be/CE3e3hGF2jc

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I've never heard anything bad about the e9x m3 from anyone in the seven years I've been at BMW. Programming on battery replacement isnt just an m car thing either a bunch of them have that now. M cars get extra maintenance items for diff fluid change and stuff so check the vehicle history for the car and see whats been done on it and when. It would show up as "running in check" or something similar first around 1500 miles and then with every few oil changes iirc. I can always look up histories for bmw and Mini people too, and it has option/package info as well

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Enourmo posted:

Hey look, no more dumb username that sounds embarassing out loud!

You'll always be Fucknag to us. :glomp:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Check out Johnny Depp's new movie trailer for Black Mass :stare:

https://youtu.be/CE3e3hGF2jc

What's the name of the guy with the family secret recipe?

Edit: David Harbour

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CharlesM posted:

What's the name of the guy with the family secret recipe?

Dead Meat?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That too. I looked it up. David Harbour

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Nodoze posted:

I can always look up histories for bmw and Mini people too, and it has option/package info as well

A friend of mine has been trying to get history from his local BMW dealer off and on, and they've been refusing to give it to him since he's not the original owner. I might shoot a VIN your way soon.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Beach Bum posted:

Oh poo poo, look what I started :v:

Yeah :10bux: is totally fine, those are gonna be a hell of a conversation starter. Hell, I want four of 'em.

EDIT: Because I feel bad

code:
Username		Qty	Link
Beach Bum 		4	[url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717238&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post444837875[/url]
Motronic		1	[url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717238&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post444838043[/url]
STR			1	[url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717238&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post444839965[/url]
Pham Nuwen		1	[url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717238&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post444840221[/url]
Terrible Robot		1	[url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717238&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post444841045[/url]
Galler			1	[url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717238&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post444842076[/url]
iwentdoodie		1	[url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717238&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post444843939[/url]
BrokenKnucklez		1	[url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717238&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post444844022[/url]
Senior Funkenstien	10	[url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717238&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post444844126[/url]
Professor Bling		1	[url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717238&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post444844303[/url]
Ether Frenzy		1	[url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717238&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post444844329[/url]
Ragnarok the Red	1	[url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717238&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post444845225[/url]
Sinestro		1	[url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717238&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post444845375[/url]
		Total	25

me too! one please

Jack Plays Bass
Aug 16, 2007

the armenian willy wonka

Geirskogul posted:

On the plus side, I've had enough time to write up the following post on my cellphone (my laptop won't connect to the MWR wifi for some reason, except for a few minutes at a time, and then won't connect for days. loving SP3

I normally lurk hardcore here, and this is a couple pages back, but I've followed your EMS saga since you got your AZ card and figured I'd chime in. I got my NYS EMT-B cert back in Dec. 2013 and started working for a IFT outfit here on Long Island and ran into the same problems you're having. Poorly maintained ambulances(1 mechanic for a fleet of 50 trucks), total lack of union representation(no EMS union, the only union that tried to take us on was a Toy and Novelty union), ridiculously low wages for the area(11.25 starting for an EMT) lack of equipment, IE: no pulse oxes whatsoever, Lifepak 12s for the medics(not like we need them on a BLS rig) no electric stretchers on ANY of the trucks, and ridiculously long ETAs for what should have been dispatched as light-up jobs. I distinctly remember going from our post on the south shore of LI to the north shore(about 18 miles) on a cold dispatch for a quickly deteriorating difficulty breathing call. Basically I'm seeing that EMS and more specifically IFT is the same anywhere you go. For-profit ambulance companies are pretty much terrible as a whole and force their employees to do the most with the least for a pretty pathetic amount of money. I worked 13 hour overnight tours and we regularly ran 11-12 calls in that 13 hour period, and our ambulance's coverage area was about 40% of LI.

I now work for the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation at one of the largest State Park beaches as an EMT and am loving it. No transport, just first response and immediate treatment, and plenty of action. We call a local volunteer dept if we need an ambulance. When you come back from deployment you should see if there's any oddball EMS jobs like that in your area if things don't get better or if you decide you'd rather not work for AMR.

EDIT: wow run-on post my bad

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Been out in the woods all weekend so I'm late but I'd like a bottle opener, too if you're just gonna be buying and shipping a buttload. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Turbo on the TDI is dying according to Dad's mechanic. He suggested replacing over rebuilding it. Dad drove it today and had no issues until he started heading home when he encountered the lack of power problem again. God drat it. I want this loving car but I don't want to dump any cash in right now.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Turbo on the TDI is dying according to Dad's mechanic. He suggested replacing over rebuilding it. Dad drove it today and had no issues until he started heading home when he encountered the lack of power problem again. God drat it. I want this loving car but I don't want to dump any cash in right now.

Just drive it without the turbo

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

If that's a VNT unit, it could just be the vanes sticking. Filling it up with foaming oven cleaner (seriously) and giving it a drat good Italian tuneup can work wonders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbUAfzi5BdM

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I'd love one of those openers, too.

In other news, whoever posted the other day about the new Roadkill being hilarious as all hell was right.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Just drive it without the turbo

Could you imagine how loving slow that thing would be?

Comedy option: go find a big gently caress off turbo from a bus and jam it in.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Well I just discovered something and put two and two together.

The front garden has standing water in it. I though it was a mixture of the recent rain, clay "soil", clogged gutter and the sprinkler system. I added a valve to shut off that section of the garden, and it hasn't rained since.
I went out there with a bucket to get rid of the puddles and they kept refilling. Ruh-roh.

Long story short I dug a small trench and hole to drain the water out. Where I dug the whole was almost liquid. The water also kept flowing. Discovered the raw water meter was slowly ticking over. Shut it off and the water stopped in the time it took me to walk the maybe four metres to the baby sump I dug. I'm hoping that means that it's leaking from the old galvanized pipe right near where I put the trench.
I also suspect it's why the kitchen wall dropped, which it toward the back of the house which is really not good. Home ownership. So much fun.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

Name your price for three guaranteed.

In random chat, I always love the reactions of Normal people who just got introduced to Zdzisław Beksiński for the first time.

E: just noticed the price, just say when you need it and where to.

Beksinski is fantastic. Poor fucker was stabbed to death by his neighbor's kid or something. It's like his art is where ID games got their ideas for Quake, etc, and maybe a hint of Dune in there too. I just wish there were more high res images of his stuff available.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Rhyno posted:

This is an early 2000s TDi, right? Has the MAF ever been replaced? That could cause a power loss as well.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Could you imagine how loving slow that thing would be?
:ironicat:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Allergies are in full effect. Woke up with a chest full of lung butter and have been hacking it up all day. Thank god for Mucinex and Airborne.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Sounds like its going into limp mode, disconnect the MAF and see if that helps. My MAF get causing a limp mode issue.

Or, get this:

http://www.kermatdi.com/k03-k04-hybrid-turbo-for-a3-b4-96-99-jetta-96-97-passat/

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 4, 2015

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

mungtor posted:

Beksinski is fantastic. Poor fucker was stabbed to death by his neighbor's kid or something. It's like his art is where ID games got their ideas for Quake, etc, and maybe a hint of Dune in there too. I just wish there were more high res images of his stuff available.

Seriously. Beksinski is great, gently caress the pos punk that stabbed him over 30 bucks

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'll ask Dad but in the writeup he gave me when were were going to sell it he listed a new MAF 18 months ago.

Edit: Also just had a huge fight with the girlfriend because of her dead mother again. One of my friends held her boyfriend in her arms as he died and my girlfriend said "At least she got to say goodbye." As if saying goodbye was anywhere on her mind when the love of her life was dying in the bed they shared.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I'll ask Dad but in the writeup he gave me when were were going to sell it he listed a new MAF 18 months ago.

Its worth a shot, if anything does it trigger a check engine light?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
If you guys really want to immerse yourself in Beksinski, look at his art while listening his countryman Zbigniew Presiner whose music can be as haunting as the paintings. Case in point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOYyYHuexzU

From what I've read Beksinski was a pretty happy person, but for me at least his paintings are the thing of nightmares. The sense of scale and age he depicted was chilling, but wonderful.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

Its worth a shot, if anything does it trigger a check engine light?

He did not mention a CEL. He was daily driving this car until two months ago and it had no issues. It sits for 45 days BLAM it's being a bitch.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus

Geirskogul posted:

Quoting this so I can remember who to ship to in awhile. I'll probably be back in August or so, and I can pick up a few of them. Everything is Hawaii prices down here due to everybody getting regular biweekly large deployment paychecks, though, so they're like $10 apiece. Not shortwave, though. 102.1 and 103.1 FM down here, and the very expensive antennas are specifically aimed so we don't leak over the fenceline into cuba.

In for 2 if its not too late, that logo is the best thing ever.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

I'm pretty sure that a popular upgrade for the TDI is to use the BorgWarner K04 turbo - the exact unit found in your MS6. You obviously need to do a big turbo swap for that so the K04 can find its rightful place in the VW. Now you're not dumping any money in the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I'm pretty sure that a popular upgrade for the TDI is to use the BorgWarner K04 turbo - the exact unit found in your MS6. You obviously need to do a big turbo swap for that so the K04 can find its rightful place in the VW. Now you're not dumping any money in the car.

poo poo.

• Locked thread