Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Making ten gallons of tonic syrup for an event. Love my job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Tonic is gross, so, your job sucks, FYI.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

At least you won't get malaria.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
was told I do not swear enough for the kitchen. We're chefs. drat hell rear end chefs!

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I covered a FOH shift for a coworker with a family emergency on my day off. THe only food handling is via tongs and scoops so no gloves required, but I wear them anyway out of habit and preferring not to have to wash my hands every ten seconds. Manager walks by, hassles me for handling cash with gloves on. I explain I learned about food contamination years ago and know to change my gloves after.

Not two minutes later we're watching him handle ready-to-eat food with his bare hands...after handling raw meat with his bare hands...with no handwashing in between. It took a solid minute for me to get the hamster back on the wheel after that.

Re: Gluten allergy chat a few pages back, I don't know how sensitive the actual intolerance/allergy is, compared to tolerance/exposure thresholds for peanut and the like. Our policy with gluten free orders is literally "change gloves before making the order". So, beef sandwich with gluten allergy is still getting beef that has been touched with gloves that have touched bread, and has been cut on a cutting board that has touched bread. I would expect this would be enough to set off a real allergy but we've never killed anyone so I guess it's ok.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Vorenus posted:

I covered a FOH shift for a coworker with a family emergency on my day off. THe only food handling is via tongs and scoops so no gloves required, but I wear them anyway out of habit and preferring not to have to wash my hands every ten seconds. Manager walks by, hassles me for handling cash with gloves on. I explain I learned about food contamination years ago and know to change my gloves after.

Not two minutes later we're watching him handle ready-to-eat food with his bare hands...after handling raw meat with his bare hands...with no handwashing in between. It took a solid minute for me to get the hamster back on the wheel after that.

Re: Gluten allergy chat a few pages back, I don't know how sensitive the actual intolerance/allergy is, compared to tolerance/exposure thresholds for peanut and the like. Our policy with gluten free orders is literally "change gloves before making the order". So, beef sandwich with gluten allergy is still getting beef that has been touched with gloves that have touched bread, and has been cut on a cutting board that has touched bread. I would expect this would be enough to set off a real allergy but we've never killed anyone so I guess it's ok.

Even a crumb of bread is enough to trigger a reaction in someone with celiac disease and can lead to severe damage to the small intestine and internal bleeding along with the development of other autoimmune disorders.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Even a crumb of bread is enough to trigger a reaction in someone with celiac disease and can lead to severe damage to the small intestine and internal bleeding along with the development of other autoimmune disorders.

Then going to a sandwich shop seems like trying to walk barefoot through a room full of broken syringes.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Simoom posted:

was told I do not swear enough for the kitchen. We're chefs. drat hell rear end chefs!

You're cooks.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Tender Child Loins posted:

Then going to a sandwich shop seems like trying to walk barefoot through a room full of broken syringes.

Yes, generally people with celiac disease just make their own food to avoid the issue.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Tender Child Loins posted:

People don't consider these things. I had people with Celiac come into the bakery to ask if we had gluten-free cakes.

We were a production bakery. The air was a significant percentage flour by volume while we were working. It was a panic moment

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Kenning posted:

You're cooks.

Don't crush the poor boy's spirit.

That said, it's really weird now that everyone calls me Chef. Our exec (jokingly)flipped on a new server who called one of our cooks 'chef'. "You don't loving call him Chef, there are only three chefs in this restaurant. Me, X, and CdC!" Kid was practically pissing his pants, lol.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It's like walking around a military base and calling everyone "General."

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Generals make barely above minimum wage?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Simoom posted:

The only appropriate response was "ha, gently caress you dickhead :agesilaus:", I hope you figured that out in time.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Walked into this new walk in floor this morning. The whole thing got douched out. And no more slips. Owns.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Vorenus posted:

Proper procedure for putting on gloves is to wash your hands before and after putting them in and taking them off.
Wearing gloves is not a substitute for hand washing.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
I will have you guys know I am a SOUS CHEF downtown, thus living out a teenage dream! I got the position by default because we're seriously understaffed, but on the other hand that's how Homer went to space so I see only good things ahead for me!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

Proper procedure for putting on gloves is to wash your hands before and after putting them in and taking them off.
Wearing gloves is not a substitute for hand washing.

For serious if you were going to have to wash your hands you need to change gloves, and you have to touch your gloves to take them off so you will get whatever was on the gloves that necessitated washing off onto your hands, then need to clean it off of your hands before touching clean gloves anyways. (And yes you're trained in how to take gloves off without touching the gloves but you STILL wash your hands)

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Simoom posted:

I will have you guys know I am a SOUS CHEF downtown, thus living out a teenage dream! I got the position by default because we're seriously understaffed, but on the other hand that's how Homer went to space so I see only good things ahead for me!

Master Chef Inanimate Carbon Rod posted:

:ramsay:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Had a lady come in and order fried rice. She starts eating it and asks if it has shellfish in it as she is allergic. Well yes mam it does have oyster sauce can I make you another without! "Oh it's no problem, I can have it every once in awhile"

Last day is Wednesday, might go off if a gluten free person comes in.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

goodness posted:

Had a lady come in and order fried rice. She starts eating it and asks if it has shellfish in it as she is allergic. Well yes mam it does have oyster sauce can I make you another without! "Oh it's no problem, I can have it every once in awhile"

As rage-inducing as that may seem, my roommate has mild shellfish allergy of that exact sort. She'll get hives if she eats too much, but never anything worse than that. The last time it flared up she at first didn't know what was causing her skin to break out, but after a few days she realized that she had been making a ghetto pad thai type dish, and it turned out the sauce she had been using contained powdered shrimp.

This lady may have just checked so that if she happened to have some reaction later that she'd know the cause.

Maybe.

There's no excusing the gluten bullshit though.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

CommonShore posted:

As rage-inducing as that may seem, my roommate has mild shellfish allergy of that exact sort. She'll get hives if she eats too much, but never anything worse than that. The last time it flared up she at first didn't know what was causing her skin to break out, but after a few days she realized that she had been making a ghetto pad thai type dish, and it turned out the sauce she had been using contained powdered shrimp.

This lady may have just checked so that if she happened to have some reaction later that she'd know the cause.

Maybe.

Alright that first is excusable if she also was not bullshitting you.

gently caress gluten people though. Awhile back someone ordered their food gluten free and then drank a beer or two.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Is that better or worse than an event coordinator who sells beer braised meat as a gluten free option

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

pile of brown posted:

Is that better or worse than an event coordinator who sells beer braised meat as a gluten free option

That might be genius or idiocy.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I approve of the "gluten option" cause my HC runs out all the time and let's me go get him more and cigs at the Walmart across the street.

I love taking strolls on the clock.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

goodness posted:

Alright that first is excusable if she also was not bullshitting you.

gently caress gluten people though. Awhile back someone ordered their food gluten free and then drank a beer or two.

I still think Wrought's story about the salt dude is the best. Gluten is a pain in the rear end to work around because cross contamination is a bitch, but a gluten free diet isn't impossible. A salt free diet is a cast iron motherfucker though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Shooting Blanks posted:

I still think Wrought's story about the salt dude is the best. ... A salt free diet is a cast iron motherfucker though.

What story is this?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

CommonShore posted:

What story is this?

Wroughtirony posted:

I've gotten a few allergy cards as a server. I like them because I'm a little more comfortable handing them over to the chef, though with severe allergies and simple dishes I would usually just make it myself on separate pans. Because I was the Best Waitress Ever, As a chef, I've had one guy with allergies so multiple and severe that he actually went shopping with me (private dining setting, not restaurant) and we went over all my recipes to see what he could eat and what I could alter. He spent a lot of time in the galley chopping veggies and keeping an eye on me, but he was good at prep and I was good at not poisoning him so it worked it. What did not work out was the guy who was "allergic" to salt. He was traveling with his daughter who had a huge list of everything he couldn't have and she was INSISTENT that he have full options to eat at every meal with limited special options just for him. So the whole boat got baked goods with no salt that cruise (because even 1/4 tsp over a batch of cookies would basically kill him.) Fine, I'll do that for someone with a legit disorder. Until we get to the lobster bake and I see this guy with a plate containing two lobsters and a cob of corn. I run after him screaming bloody murder because a single bite of what was on his plate would surely kill him on the spot (his daughter said he WOULD DIE if he ate salt) and he's like, "oh, I can splurge once in awhile and have a little salt." "This is not a little salt," I say, "Everything on your plate was boiled in seawater!" "Oh it's fine now and then," his daughter chimed in. I am still awaiting my medal for not punching her in the face.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

CommonShore posted:

Maybe.

This is me but with certain other stuff. As a kid I was incredibly allergic to lots of things: soy, sesame, tree nuts. Over time my resistance to them has built up and in some cases I've been able to eat unlimited quantities of some of them. Soy, most nuts, eggs, wheat all are totally safe now. But I still have issues with sesame and cashews. I can eat small quantities and not get a full histamine reaction, but too much too often and I'll start breaking out or having swelling in my mouth and tongue. Over time the histamine in your system dissipates and you can safely eat some small quantities again. This is also how I managed the allergies as a kid; you'd eat up to your tolerance and gradually increase dosage until the allergy just went away. This may not be true for everyone though, nobody really knows your body better than you.

Having allergies in the past has made me sensitive to people's requests in my dining room. You can tell the ones that have real allergies almost immediately because they're very understanding about any restrictions it makes on the menu. It also makes me incredibly hateful of the fad intolerances and X-free diets. Don't conflate your douchy arbitrary restrictions with actual medical conditions.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Saltman and his daughter still haunt my memories.

I gave our waiter a heart attack the other day. On my OpenTable reservations I have a short spiel about how I shouldn't eat much grapefruit and please let me know if there's grapefruit in anything so I can account for it.(I take a few of the many medications that are affected by grapefruit. check the list- you might too!) The spiel is there mostly for the benefit of restaurants that do a tasting menu and I usually remove it for regular restaurants, but this time I forgot. This poor fucker who was waiting on us a few days ago was all ready to hunt down every grapefruit in the building and lock them up so they couldn't hurt me. I had to talk him down off that ledge and convince him that it would be impossible to kill me with grapefruit, I just have to know how much I've ingested. It was kind of funny to me but I imagine he's a total hit with the GF crowd

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I have fresh fruit allergy. Pineapple/kiwi/strawberries/etc. raw will wreck my mouth, tongue, and throat. So naturally those are my favorite fruits and my mouth hurts pretty much all the time.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

So I was telling my therapist about Saltman (can't remember why it was relevant but it was) and to encourage me to write a novel, she gifted me a journal. My goal this week is to write out the Saltman story and the Cheese Plate story.

It's mostly a vanity/therapy project, but I'm getting into it.

Are there any other stories I've told that you'd like to hear again? Help jog my memory. :-)

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
What's the cheese plate story? I missed that one.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Every cook I've ever talked to has had a story about doing terrible things to a steak to make it extra extra extra well done so you should tell that one

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Crazy Larry posted:

Every cook I've ever talked to has had a story about doing terrible things to a steak to make it extra extra extra well done so you should tell that one

Put a dry aged ribeye, that I'd aged myself in-house, in the fryer, because this really, REALLY old guy, said it wasn't done enough. He loved it. Right through his stupid cataract covered eyes, while he complained we didn't have A1 steak sauce, and I hated him every second for it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wroughtirony posted:

So I was telling my therapist about Saltman (can't remember why it was relevant but it was) and to encourage me to write a novel, she gifted me a journal. My goal this week is to write out the Saltman story and the Cheese Plate story.

It's mostly a vanity/therapy project, but I'm getting into it.

Are there any other stories I've told that you'd like to hear again? Help jog my memory. :-)

the one about why you have a therapist and are (still?) working a kitchen job

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 6, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
You know better, mindphlux. We're all broken around here.

Buy the ticket, take the ride. :getin:

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

mindphlux posted:

the one about why you have a therapist and are (still?) working a kitchen job

Please. I've been out of the biz for over a year now. Get with the times.

(I didn't get far, I'm in retail now.)

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

How much of what I've learned from restaurants carries over to food trucks? I've been cooking stuff for events and kicks at the marina I live at and people keep telling me I should get a food truck.

The food truck market seems super saturated here in DC, plus driving here scares the poo poo out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wroughtirony posted:

Please. I've been out of the biz for over a year now. Get with the times.

(I didn't get far, I'm in retail now.)

woah I actually don't think I realized this. congrats!

• Locked thread