Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

a friend just mentioned that ~someone she knows~ is working in microsoft's secret development lab and they are about to release something huge

i hope it's the halolens

i hope it's the tape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I bet it is the surfacebook

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
surface pro 4 with tape drive slot

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Korean Boomhauer posted:

surface pro 4 with pcmcia slot

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

minecraft 2

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

xbox one two

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
12" surface pro, it would be 'huge' lol

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
a plain 13-inch ultrabook, branded surface 4 for business

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Wheany posted:

a thinkpad, branded surface 4 for business

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

surface hub mini

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy

duTrieux. posted:

minecraft.NET

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

a friend just mentioned that ~someone she knows~ is working in microsoft's secret development lab and they are about to release something huge

i hope it's the halolens

it's going to be the xbox two in a smaller form factor and work on microsoft surfaces

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the Microsoft Surface One with Bing! powered by Windows Ecks Embedded for XBONE Capable Devices with Kinect 3 Mandatory Edition for Gamers Business

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i've been thinking about it and pretty much the only technologies at the moment that could change anything would be:
- huge battery/power innovation that lets engineers just go loving wild because energy constraints are out the window
- an in-air screenless display technology

everything else is just incremental poo poo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
Partnership with Valve to bring all Source titles to HoloLense *cut to stock tf2 footage from like 6 years ago*

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

duTrieux. posted:

i've been thinking about it and pretty much the only technologies at the moment that could change anything would be:
- huge battery/power innovation that lets engineers just go loving wild because energy constraints are out the window

all inventions are incremental poo poo

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

all inventions are incremental poo poo

yes, and anything 'huge' wuold have to be bigger than that, and the only things i can think of that would apply are as outlined above

pram
Jun 10, 2001
has everyone forgot about the oculus already. hello??

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

vr is niche and will be niche until we have the technology to ditch big ol' headsets

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pram posted:

has everyone forgot about the oculus already.

halo??

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

another innovative thing, I think, would be data compression. can we make games smaller? they will download faster and take up less space.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

duTrieux. posted:

- huge battery/power innovation
They mentioned something like that on twit recently but it's still in uni research level so far

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

another innovative thing, I think, would be data compression. can we make games smaller? they will download faster and take up less space.

yeah see the documentary "Silicon Valley" on HBO

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

duTrieux. posted:

minecraft 2

if they just replaced the Java version with a desktop build of the C++ port that's used for consoles and mobile, the performance benefit alone would let them call it 2.0

they're probably doing something crazier though like porting the Java to C# so it'll run on .NET instead—as a Metro app maybe?—and use MEF for mods.

they've already announced Visual Studio support for building Minecraft mods, though right now the first step is "get a JDK from Oracle" if you want use it

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

duTrieux. posted:

i want a robot knife sharpener where you pop a knife in and input the angle you want and then it does a better job than i can do by had with a bunch of stones and it only takes like takes 10 seconds or w/e and it has shape and tip detection so it does as good a job on cleavers and japanese knives as it does on like a pairing knife

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
minecraft 2 will be a native osx app that will be ported to windows to demonstrate their cross platform importing abilities

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

they've already announced Visual Studio support for building Minecraft mods, though right now the first step is "get a JDK from Oracle" if you want use it

maybe they're making a clean room jvahahahahahahahaha

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

duTrieux. posted:

this may be coming in the near future btw: http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2015/150220/ncomms7362/full/ncomms7362.html

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

maybe they're making a clean room jvahahahahahahahaha

been there done that lost the lawsuit

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

eschaton posted:

if they just replaced the Java version with a desktop build of the C++ port that's used for consoles and mobile, the performance benefit alone would let them call it 2.0

and then everyone would keep playing their modded minecraft 1

b-but the performance benefits... -eschaton, probably

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Phoenixan posted:

minecraft 2 will be a native osx app that will be ported to windows to demonstrate their cross platform importing abilities

still outperforms the java version

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

when talking about lithium-containing products, the thing that immediately comes to mind is "this doesn't feel dangerous enough, how can I involve fluorine too?"

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

maybe in a couple of versions office will be done this way

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
and the default buttons on the ribbon will still be different depending on the os

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
New office2016 preview launched

themes available: white, grayer, grayer, grayest

and...colourful:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

unity is loving atrocious for this, just a bunch of xml sprayed everywhere. if ntfs is compressing your game at a 2:1 ratio you are a lovely dev

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if ntfs is compressing things why should I care? also why are you compressing anything? disk is basically free

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

if ntfs is compressing things why should I care? also why are you compressing anything? disk is basically free

ntfs compression reduces io times at the expense of CPU times; for something like xml which is inherently inefficient and single-threaded, compression is a good solution to these problems

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

because either youre constrained for performance on a platter or space on an ssd and properly packing resources means you're pulling data faster off the slowest component of your computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

ntfs compression reduces io times at the expense of CPU times; for something like xml which is inherently inefficient and single-threaded, compression is a good solution to these problems

99.9999% of time games are parsing stuff like xml with lovely embedded languages like lua that are more responsible for slowness than disk.

• Locked thread