Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Wasn't Koenig(?) displeased when Coulson told him he should activate Theta protocol if he died or something? I read it as Theta being a necessary evil style thing not something like building a helicarrier or activating the Avengers. Or am I remembering it wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Could we stop with discussing the movie here - half a page of black boxes is annoying.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

mythicknight posted:

I believe it was both. First the denying, then they came up with that ridiculous idea of Garret doing it somehow.

I liked it better than the whole 'did they shag or not' argument when May left the door open for Ward. Some people are denser than vibranium.

And of course nothing will top "they will never do inhumans".

Theta Protocol is rapidly reaching this point as well

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How many episodes until the finale?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I believe three.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

How many episodes until the finale?

Tuesday's episode and then the two hour finale on the 12th.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I think we're down to two: Tuesday's episode, then the 2 hour season finalé on the 12th...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Considering next episode sounds like it could easily be the finale, I don't know what to expect.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I just got to Turn, Turn, Turn after writing this show off a long time ago (mostly because it aired on cable and we don't have cable), and it's really gotten me interested.

I'm worried it'll take forever for season 2 to hit Netflix, though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Do we know whats this thing on the ship that they keep talking about? Either through the comics or whatever.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

boom boom boom posted:

Allright. I'm not gonna be able to marathon the second season like I did the first tho. I'm way behind on animes.

Did anyone else read this in Coulson's voice orrrrrr

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I bet Coulson likes anime.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

PunkBoy posted:

I bet Coulson likes anime.

Well it would make sense since he's good at hiding shameful secrets

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

old dog child posted:

Well it would make sense since he's good at hiding shameful secrets

Fury's tool box is full of MLP fanfiction.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do we know whats this thing on the ship that they keep talking about? Either through the comics or whatever.

Nothing beyond guesses.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

twistedmentat posted:

Confirmed, the mind can indeed vomit

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

twistedmentat posted:

OF course that what he wants people to think. They're really Naruto fanfics.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

David D. Davidson posted:

OF course that what he wants people to think. They're really Naruto fanfics.

You're both right, it's original Naruto characters based on anthropomorphosized version of MLP.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I hope they don't do anything with helicarriers on the show, because they are stupid. Every time they are featured, they add layers of absurdity.

I realize this is a ridiculous world full of aliens and green rage beasts and evil A.I. and poo poo, but for some reason my suspension of disbelief can't get past helicarriers. The facilities to build just a single, normal, floating in the water carrier are extreme, it takes us years. SHIELD builds them three at a time in hangers dug out underneath populated cities. And they fly. And turn invisible. And they get retired and put into storage after just a few years apparently now too.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I hope they don't do anything with helicarriers on the show, because they are stupid. Every time they are featured, they add layers of absurdity.

I realize this is a ridiculous world full of aliens and green rage beasts and evil A.I. and poo poo, but for some reason my suspension of disbelief can't get past helicarriers. The facilities to build just a single, normal, floating in the water carrier are extreme, it takes us years. SHIELD builds them three at a time in hangers dug out underneath populated cities. And they fly. And turn invisible. And they get retired and put into storage after just a few years apparently now too.

The second you accept Iron-Man as being possible, Helicarriers are nothing.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dexo posted:

It's always fascinating to me to see where people's various breaking points are for suspension of disbelief.

Like, I'm not being salty here. It's genuinely interesting to me just how far is too far for each person. Like, for me, it's Iron Man's arc reactor. Why doesn't he just do what he did in IM3 and get the shrapnel surgically removed? He lives in a world of viruses that turn people into fiery superkillers, but he can't hire someone with nanosurgery and a magnet? :iiam:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I would actually prefer a helicarrier on this show. The cargo plane set is very boring. Even though the sky green screen effects, like when the car is flying or that time Ward jumped out of the plane after Simmons, are the worst looking effects in the whole show, I would prefer more of them over the continued use of the incredibly boring plane.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

continued use of the incredibly boring plane.

Well you're in luck

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
If you'd just watch the full and totally canon Chinese version you'd know that the operation was so delicate that it took him that long to realize that he could have just asked help from China, glorious home of the only doctor in the world skilled enough to perform the surgery!

Edit: vvvvvv

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yeah, the Iron man suits are just as implausible, it's just the scope that bugs me. Like, I can see how a crazy billionaire engineer can make something like that in his basement, with resources he has access to because he's a weapons contractor.

Actually, he built one in a cave. With a box of scrap.

Argue fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 4, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Dexo posted:

Yeah, the Iron man suits are just as implausible, it's just the scope that bugs me. Like, I can see how a crazy billionaire engineer can make something like that in his basement, with resources he has access to because he's a weapons contractor. But SHIELD build helicarriers where? Out of what? And no one notices? I know it's just a stupid pet peeve of mine though.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yeah, the Iron man suits are just as implausible, it's just the scope that bugs me. Like, I can see how a crazy billionaire engineer can make something like that in his basement, with resources he has access to because he's a weapons contractor. But SHIELD build helicarriers where? Out of what? And no one notices? I know it's just a stupid pet peeve of mine though.

Billions of dollars in classified defense spending.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

boom boom boom posted:

I would actually prefer a helicarrier on this show. The cargo plane set is very boring. Even though the sky green screen effects, like when the car is flying or that time Ward jumped out of the plane after Simmons, are the worst looking effects in the whole show, I would prefer more of them over the continued use of the incredibly boring plane.

I actually like the Bus. Its functional, seems to have a cozy interior and much more credible than a helicarrier. Don't get me wrong, helicarriers look badass but they are pretty stupid. Real carriers are alreadh vulnerable and require a support fleet. Now imagine a carrier that can drop from the sky due to well placed hit to the turbines or from taking enough damage that it loses power.

To quote from HHGTTG: They hang in the air the same way that bricks don't.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
The bus reminds me of the last Splinter Cell game. They even had a little prison too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cloakable Helicarriers made more sense for SHIELD because they weren't an army. The Navy probably took one look at the idea and went 'nnnnope!*'.

*'Although we'd love those super VTOL cloaking device planes...?'

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
I managed to suspend my disbelief on all the Iron Man stuff until the third movie. He manages to build an arc reactor and a flight-capable powered exoskeleton in a cave with a box of scraps, but transplant him to Tennessee and the best he can do is some "Anarchist's Cookbook"-level improvised weapons?

It was an awesome scene but makes little sense in context.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ol qwerty bastard posted:

I managed to suspend my disbelief on all the Iron Man stuff until the third movie. He manages to build an arc reactor and a flight-capable powered exoskeleton in a cave with a box of scraps, but transplant him to Tennessee and the best he can do is some "Anarchist's Cookbook"-level improvised weapons?

It was an awesome scene but makes little sense in context.

A "box of scrap" being a cave full of missiles and other advanced Stark tech, a full range of precision tools and a fairly able assistant?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Dalael posted:

I actually like the Bus. Its functional, seems to have a cozy interior and much more credible than a helicarrier. Don't get me wrong, helicarriers look badass but they are pretty stupid. Real carriers are alreadh vulnerable and require a support fleet. Now imagine a carrier that can drop from the sky due to well placed hit to the turbines or from taking enough damage that it loses power.

To quote from HHGTTG: They hang in the air the same way that bricks don't.

"Credible" is not something I want from a show that featured a circular saw fight and a secret twin brother in the season finale. The bus is dull. It's all grey and blue inside. And everybody's wearing dark clothes inside it too. Have some bright colors, Agents of SHIELD!

Cat Terrist posted:

A "box of scrap" being a cave full of missiles and other advanced Stark tech, a full range of precision tools and a fairly able assistant?

Also, didn't he spend a lot longer in the cave?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Well, if we're gonna go full :goonsay:...

What I find most implausible is that Hawkeye and Black Widow are actually as useful combatants as anyone else on the main team, and yet somehow War Machine isn't.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Javid posted:

What I find most implausible is that Hawkeye and Black Widow are actually as useful combatants as anyone else on the main team, and yet somehow War Machine isn't.

The amount of damage it took to take down an Ultron drone was INCREDIBLY inconsistent. Sometimes Captain America has to absolutely smash the head and torso to bits before it stops moving, but Hawkeye takes down dozens with one arrow to a random spot on the torso each,

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Micro-EMP-arrows!

Or maybe there was an anti-Ultron script and he was shooting USB arrows into their chest ports.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Spacebump posted:

Billions of dollars in classified defense spending.

It's the same way Batman built the Watchtower by hiding the cost in an R&D budget line item from Wayne Enterprises.

Never underestimate the absurd wealth of comic book billionaires

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Azhais posted:

It's the same way Batman built the Watchtower by hiding the cost in an R&D budget line item from Wayne Enterprises.

I think it's Green Arrow who in one comic gets:
"You own a plane? I thought you were bankrupt!"
"Billionaire poor, not normal-person poor."

One of the uber-rich, anyway. Maybe Stark.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Azhais posted:

It's not a question of cost though. I mean, all this poo poo is implausible, but even if you have all the money, you don't just order an 1100 foot long vessel off of Amazon. There's only a few shipyards in the world big enough.

Javid posted:

The city is flying, we're fighting an army of robots, and I have a bow and arrow. None of this makes sense.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's not a question of cost though. I mean, all this poo poo is implausible, but even if you have all the money, you don't just order an 1100 foot long vessel off of Amazon. There's only a few shipyards in the world big enough.

I don't think SHIELD built the original carrier in secret, they refitted the heli part in secret. I mean the Illiad this season seems to be a normal aircraft carrier from a whole SHIELD fleet, and it's not a heli. It seems they had a few just plain carriers openly acting as mobile operation hubs for intelligence activities. The existence of Quinjets makes that kind of operational structure much more plausible. And then as of Avengers 1 they'd just finished refitting one of them to fly.

And hell, I wouldn't be surprised if those were all Navy ships until the events of Fury's Big Week made the government go gently caress gently caress gently caress and increase SHIELD's size and power tenfold in panic and let them requisition a few aircraft carriers, since they were the only ones who were on top of this whole new world of bullshit. (And then SHIELD's strike team saved the world from a huge alien invasion and the entire world just kinda bowed at SHIELD's feet and threw money and resources and cooperative laws at them)

And the Project Insight helicarriers under the Potomac from Cap 2 were quite small by comparison; they were really heli-battleships. And they had their own special shipyards of stupid. And SHIELD was operating in the open by then in terms of huge resources.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can we stop with the movie spoilers? till like friday? Please? i enjoy this thread too much to not read it for a week.

• Locked thread