Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Zereth posted:

A page or two ago somebody said Riki wasn't good in AI hands either.
Riki's AI seems reluctant to stack DoTs or use his move that damages per stacked DoT at the right time (as in, when they're almost up). Riki can do a lot of damage with DoT stacking.

Sharla and Reyn are okay but much better out of AI hands. I'm only mostly confident leaving two characters (Dunban and the last one) on AI control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Is Samurai Legend that bad?

You rescue all the waifus.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Kild posted:

You rescue all the waifus.

also you use waifu butts to kill things.

you know what.... maybe samurai legend isn't that bad.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

al-azad posted:

Boiling Point: Road to Hell is the greatest open world RPG and it's criminal no one is continuing this series.

but xenus 2

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I don't wanna kill George Carlin... :ohdear:

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Super Mario RPG seems to be a lot shorter than I remembered it. I only started playing it some hours ago and I already have four of the seven stars (and the last one is held by the final boss).

There is some amusing dialogue, but those bits where Mario and Company act out scenes the player already understands are just... what the gently caress?

I'd also forgotten about that scene where Mario tries to punch a kid in the face but Mallow holds him back.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The pantomime scenes are the best part and were so iconic to the game's style that Nintendo lifted them entirely for Mario & Luigi albeit with annoying faux-Italian gibberish.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Tallgeese posted:

Uh.. the art style is sorta cool? But yes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

So Melia's the only one? I thought someone else doesn't use their skills properly either. Also, do I need to do any sort of set-up to bench Sharla or is surviving without dedicated healing easy? She desperately needs some way to actually do damage.

Melia is the worst, but Riki is also kinda bad under AI control.. If you have either of them in your party, you should probably control them. Everyone else is good enough.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Haven't had any issues with Riki under AI control in the 3ds version so far.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I beat the last unique monsters with AI Riki so he does a good enough job.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
AI Riki is merely okay rather than the most powerful character in the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tallgeese posted:

It's not a "bad" game. It's competently designed. It's just boring as gently caress and lacks any kind of soul.

I'd rather surround myself with terrible playing but interesting games than just-enough-effort okay games. There's nothing to talk about, it just kind of exists.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there some sort of trick to fighting the nebula enemies in xenoblade because I dread anytime one joins a fight since they take so little damage.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ether attacks, mostly. Melia and Riki trivialize them.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is there some sort of trick to fighting the nebula enemies in xenoblade because I dread anytime one joins a fight since they take so little damage.

monado blade to break it's sheild IIRC and then just go to town.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Codiekitty posted:

There is some amusing dialogue, but those bits where Mario and Company act out scenes the player already understands are just... what the gently caress?
those bits are amazing

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
https://youtu.be/Vrl2bCBzqRc

Sentai SRPG on Steam for 10 bucks. Haven't tried it myself but if someone else does let us know how it is. That other recent indie srpg that got linked looked too terrible to try but this one at least has aesthetic charm going for it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rascyc posted:

https://youtu.be/Vrl2bCBzqRc

Sentai SRPG on Steam for 10 bucks. Haven't tried it myself but if someone else does let us know how it is. That other recent indie srpg that got linked looked too terrible to try but this one at least has aesthetic charm going for it.
the combat looked pretty paint by numbers from the demo i saw but iunno how indepth the studio building stuff is so maybe they'll elevate it

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I've played it, it's pretty fun, though it might be considerably less fun if you're not into Toku to start with, as a lot of the humor comes from in-jokes and such. Combat is on the simple side but it's solid enough, doesn't have a whole lot of variety to it and the mecha battles are painfully simple and uninteresting. Still not a bad game, decent amount of fun. Could do worse for 10 bucks. Kinda buggy right now though, might want to wait until they patch it a bit.

Edit: Though there's not huge variety in the combat, the game's short enough it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how short is short?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Endorph posted:

how short is short?

Well my first time through the game on Interesting (effectively Normal) took me 15 hours, but some of that was just me leaving the game up to listen to the music (the music is pretty drat good), so probably more around the area of 12-13. There are three different routes at the end of the game and some other small changes otherwise, but I suspect most people won't bother playing the game through three times just to see the three different end-routes even if they are pretty significantly different.

Generally speaking the game is fairly simple though not overwhelmingly so. It's pretty much a light popcorn-ish SRPG with a Tokusatsu flavoring to it. I'd say definitely get it if one is a fan of Toku stuff, and maybe get it if you're looking for a light simple SRPG.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I've played it, it's pretty fun, though it might be considerably less fun if you're not into Toku to start with, as a lot of the humor comes from in-jokes and such. Combat is on the simple side but it's solid enough, doesn't have a whole lot of variety to it and the mecha battles are painfully simple and uninteresting. Still not a bad game, decent amount of fun. Could do worse for 10 bucks. Kinda buggy right now though, might want to wait until they patch it a bit.

Edit: Though there's not huge variety in the combat, the game's short enough it doesn't overstay its welcome.

I am not at all into power ranger but the gameplay is solid, it's like analogue to x-com, things escalate pretty fast and in 8 hours I got to the end of chapter 4 out of 5 but the game is 15$ and the mech battle is nice and change the pace.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
loving hate Riki, stupid kid

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

loving hate Riki, stupid kid

Riki's quite the opposite of a kid. Heropon is Daddypon.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Codiekitty posted:

Super Mario RPG seems to be a lot shorter than I remembered it. I only started playing it some hours ago and I already have four of the seven stars (and the last one is held by the final boss).

I'd also forgotten about that scene where Mario tries to punch a kid in the face but Mallow holds him back.

Okay, you don't understand what makes a game charming so I'd prefer if you stayed away from Musashi after all.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

al-azad posted:

The pantomime scenes are the best part and were so iconic to the game's style that Nintendo lifted them entirely for Mario & Luigi albeit with annoying faux-Italian gibberish.

I understand the intent to riff on how a silent protagonist is supposed to communicate with others, but I find the execution... could be less chaotic, I guess is the term I'm looking for?

'Course, I also thought Xenogears' second disc was hilarious, so maybe I'm just weird like that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Codiekitty posted:

I understand the intent to riff on how a silent protagonist is supposed to communicate with others, but I find the execution... could be less chaotic, I guess is the term I'm looking for?

'Course, I also thought Xenogears' second disc was hilarious, so maybe I'm just weird like that.

I'll chalk it up to you being weird, those scenes are pretty clear in their body language and all hilarious. The reactions to Mario are great too especially when someone misinterprets what he's saying or have their own exaggerated reactions.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Got Catherine and Resonance of Fate in the golden week sale, I think that just about does it for PS3 for me, with the exception of picking up ps2 games at local nerd shop

Not done with RPGs on PSN though, still have PS1/PSP games to get whenever those go on sale which is maybe twice a year. One of these days Ys Seven will get a sale. Someday.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

So Melia's the only one? I thought someone else doesn't use their skills properly either. Also, do I need to do any sort of set-up to bench Sharla or is surviving without dedicated healing easy? She desperately needs some way to actually do damage.

I'm a bit late on this, but Sharla herself is hilariously inept at healing in AI hands. She uses her heals quite randomly and inefficiently. Since her damage potential is low anyway, you should bench her unless you plan on controlling her (which is fun, don't get me wrong!).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Even without the dumb overheating mechanic, it is odd how Sharla gets so few abilities. Everyone else gets a shitload of powers, though of course Shulk can have all of his equipped at once.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d3i7ztHfb0

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Does Xenoblade expect you to grind in the (i assume?) latter half of the game? I'm bumbling around Mechonis right now and enemies will be like 1-3 levels higher than me which is doable but then the miniboss/bosses will jump like 5-6 levels higher. It's really weird and I've had to start resorting to things like abusing the ranged enemy pull on mini bosses with adds in order to deal with them one by one or risk just being obliterated.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level is basically everything in Xenoblade so being super underleveled just blows. I don't think you're meant to grind, because I didn't, but you might have to come back a little later.

Not that you can't win, it's just a huge pain in the rear end to do it compared to being +/- 1 level of the thing you're fighting.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Make sure you generally kill everything you run into and you shouldn't end up underleveled. There's a bit of a difficulty spike where you just hit where you just need to catch up in levels.

But yeah being underleveled gives you severe penalties. You want to be at least on level with trash.

FWIW I played the entire game without ever doing side quests after the first zone, and I was always on level for the main story, but I also killed literally everything I ran into except the really gigantic robot stuff you will see from time to time. I would also take a side trip sometimes to go see some neat piece of scenery I guess.

Talking about this game makes me want to repurchase it for the n3ds when it comes out, harrumph

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
There are some skills that specifically trigger stat buffs for the party if you're fighting a higher level enemy, but they require grinding AP points for trait trees to unlock, so you need to get some kills up every now and again in a new area or fill out some quests to keep up with where the story wants you to be. Every other Super High level monster outside of that can be avoided for the most part.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah I beat the sword valley facility and it took way longer than it should due to all the misses and stuff.

Does Fiora join as a permanent party member or is this a fake out like at the beginning of the game, cuz she has some cool abilities and it's bizarre they dont give you any AP to level up stuff with.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Permanent. Enjoy her, she's neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Robot girlfriend stays for the rest of the ride.