Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Archimago posted:

That being said, those higher resolutions he's asking about usually require an SLI setup to run effectively.

And of course he didn't clarify what type of experience he wants. 30 fps, 60 fps? something in between?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Turin Turambar posted:

And of course he didn't clarify what type of experience he wants. 30 fps, 60 fps? something in between?

60 fps, wondering how much I would need to turn down the settings to get that at 1440p.

My current iMac is 27" at 2560x1440, would be nice to get a monitor with the same size and resolution, and still be able to run Witcher 3 at 60 fps without having to turn down every one of the things. 980 is fine but I don't want to do SLI 980.

Edit: maybe 2x970 SLI would be better though? Cost still within budget, and apparently it might perform much better than 1x980?

jaete fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 3, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
You'll know in 3 weeks.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Regarding Letho, I killed him because he wasted my time. I mean, there were additional factors like helping Nilfgaard, killing Cedric, killing the king that was about to reward us immensely, getting us charged for Foltest's murder and so on but it was really because he made us chase him and do all this bullshit. gently caress you, Letho.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lareine posted:

Regarding Letho, I killed him because he wasted my time. I mean, there were additional factors like helping Nilfgaard, killing Cedric, killing the king that was about to reward us immensely, getting us charged for Foltest's murder and so on but it was really because he made us chase him and do all this bullshit. gently caress you, Letho.

That really should have been a dialogue option.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
So I'm somewhere in the middle of Act 3 now in Witcher 1. And having played Witcher 2 and knowing only a tiny bit of backstory, I'm pretty confused.

What was the relationship between Triss, Yennefer, and Geralt before he lost his memory? Going into the game with some knowledge that Yennefer and Geralt used to be an item kinda makes Triss look like a bit of a bitch trying her best to steal him away when he has amnesia and purposefully not telling him stuff.

In fact, everyone is a bit of a douche for not filling The Wolf in on what the gently caress he was like, or what was going on the moment he says to them that he's lost all his memories. Dandelion and Dwarf dude, come on.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Broose posted:

So I'm somewhere in the middle of Act 3 now in Witcher 1. And having played Witcher 2 and knowing only a tiny bit of backstory, I'm pretty confused.

What was the relationship between Triss, Yennefer, and Geralt before he lost his memory? Going into the game with some knowledge that Yennefer and Geralt used to be an item kinda makes Triss look like a bit of a bitch trying her best to steal him away when he has amnesia and purposefully not telling him stuff.

In fact, everyone is a bit of a douche for not filling The Wolf in on what the gently caress he was like, or what was going on the moment he says to them that he's lost all his memories. Dandelion and Dwarf dude, come on.

Yeah I always had the feeling Triss kinda manipulated Geralt into thinking they were together before he lost his memory.
Yen was Geralt's girlfriend and Geralt slept with Triss once, which made Yen basically tell Triss never to talk to him again. Triss also had an insane crush on Geralt IIRC.

Turin Turambar posted:

Why would anyone willingly shoot for 30 FPS?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Broose posted:

Basically GrossMurple said, but I think that characterisation of Triss is very much deliberate. I'm rereading Blood of Elves at the moment, and I'd forgotten how creepily obsessive she is.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

GrossMurpel posted:

i guess if they want to take higher res screenshots

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

jaete posted:

60 fps, wondering how much I would need to turn down the settings to get that at 1440p.

My current iMac is 27" at 2560x1440, would be nice to get a monitor with the same size and resolution, and still be able to run Witcher 3 at 60 fps without having to turn down every one of the things. 980 is fine but I don't want to do SLI 980.

Edit: maybe 2x970 SLI would be better though? Cost still within budget, and apparently it might perform much better than 1x980?

2x 970 is definitely a better purchase than a single 980, I would say.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Archimago posted:

2x 970 is definitely a better purchase than a single 980, I would say.

SLI is never a good purchase.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

GrossMurpel posted:

i do. i like the feel of 25/30fps better because i'm a super cinema nerd and anything higher than that feels too light and fake, but i know i'm the weird the one here.

that said, im below min specs for witcher 3 so i'll probably be getting 20fps. :|

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Deaderinred posted:

i do. i like the feel of 25/30fps better because i'm a super cinema nerd and anything higher than that feels too light and fake, but i know i'm the weird the one here.

Urhhh...that has nothing to do with this.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Deaderinred posted:

that said, im below min specs for witcher 3 so i'll probably be getting 20fps. :|

The good ol'"24 FPS makes for a more cinematic experience" argument. Difference is that in a videogame you control the character (and camera) yourself instead of being passive, that makes all the difference in the world.
Plus, if you're a super cinema nerd, shouldn't you be above notions like higher framerate feeling fake? :raise:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
wasn't an argument! wasn't looking to change peoples minds or for your super smart corrections on it, just tellin' it like it is folks! gonna enjoy me some of that sweet 25fps gameplay.

also the hobbit and its high frame rate and everything else about that poo poo series is super loving poo poo, if that was what you were referring too.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Deaderinred posted:

wasn't an argument! wasn't looking to change peoples minds or for your super smart corrections on it, just tellin' it like it is folks! gonna enjoy me some of that sweet 25fps gameplay.

also the hobbit and its high frame rate and everything else about that poo poo series is super loving poo poo, if that was what you were referring too.

At the end of the day, if you like playing video games at 25 FPS, no one can argue with you, but the idea that it's more "cinematic" is pretty flawed. Video game cameras don't work like film cameras and a video game playing at 25 FPS is probably not going to look like a film playing at 25 FPS.

And I'm assuming that what GrossMurpel meant was that the actual problem with higher framerates in film is that they don't feel fake.

Roshnak fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 4, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

Roshnak posted:

Video game cameras are not film cameras and they don't behave the same way.

Try telling that to most VFX devs over the last four or five years.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Orv posted:

Try telling that to most VFX devs over the last four or five years.

I'm not sure what this means, can you elaborate?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Roshnak posted:

I'm not sure what this means, can you elaborate?

There's been a trend towards cinematic realism in games graphics the last few years, where often the players eyes are treated as a camera lens. Battlefield 3 and 4 are the most egregious, but pretty much every game has lens flare, motion blur on first person movement, particles sticking to a very clear lens instead of eyes, all those sort of things that eyes don't do but cameras do.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

There's been a trend towards cinematic realism in games graphics the last few years, where often the players eyes are treated as a camera lens. Battlefield 3 and 4 are the most egregious, but pretty much every game has lens flare, motion blur on first person movement, particles sticking to a very clear lens instead of eyes, all those sort of things that eyes don't do but cameras do.

I LIKE when there's some water droplet sticking action going on on my screen. Done well, it's really dope. Lens flare and motion blur is pretty dumb though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

I LIKE when there's some water droplet sticking action going on on my screen. Done well, it's really dope. Lens flare and motion blur is pretty dumb though.

Stuff like that makes some sense at least, and a good underwater shader is one of my favorite things in video games, I love a good god ray. I could go on for hours about how loving stupid "Oh I turned to the left and the motion blur kicked in" is. Argh.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Ugh, motion blur.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Just want to reiterate my dislike of motion blur. Programmers Developers who insist on its inclusion, except in the most rarest of cases, are kinda fuckin' dumb.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
I always max out motion blur, it's a cool effect guys. Helps smooth action too.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It helps make the game look terrible.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Alpha Protocol wouldn't have been half the game it is without it.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah I always had the feeling Triss kinda manipulated Geralt into thinking they were together before he lost his memory.

This is exactly what happened. I know because I played through The Witcher 1 knowing absolutely nothing about the series, and stuck with Triss. One of my favorite memories of that game is reading a journal entry towards the end in response to that romance, where Geralt writes that he remembered loving a sorceress, and going, "Oooh! I knew I'd gotten the right impression!"

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Kontradaz posted:

I always max out motion blur, it's a cool effect guys. Helps smooth action too.

Do you not get kinda dizzy when you look at blurred stuff while moving? That's my main problem with it, it just assumes you're looking at the center of the screen the whole time, but you can also look directly at the blur.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

GrossMurpel posted:

Do you not get kinda dizzy when you look at blurred stuff while moving? That's my main problem with it, it just assumes you're looking at the center of the screen the whole time, but you can also look directly at the blur.

Same problem I have with depth of field.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Orv posted:

SLI is never a good purchase.

It is if you're trying to run 4k. Also the $980 is almost the cost of two 970s and for like a 15% performance gain (unless prices have changed, I haven't looked in awhile).

Archimago fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 4, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

Archimago posted:

It is if you're trying to run 4k. Also the $980 is almost the cost of two 970s and for like a 15% performance gain (unless prices have changed, I haven't looked in awhile).

SLI is barely supported by a fraction of games, the headache inherent with games that doesn't support it is enormous, and 4K is still such an early tech you really shouldn't be spending money to specifically support it. Just buy a 970 and be more than fine.

E: The 4K bit is maybe a bit more black and white than I intended, but whatever, it's a tech toy and so is SLI.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 4, 2015

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Seems like quite a few people are getting upset after seeing this gif showing up on reddit (I just linked the image, this is the thread - WARNING REDDIT). The difference in quality is pretty apparent but there really isn't any info on builds or which version the later is from or what have you. Comte can you comment on that comparison at all? Obviously things in development change, things get optimized so it can run on modern hardware, ect. Can you reach the quality of the December 2013 part of the gif any more?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
PC grognards screaming about how consoles are the death of gaming is always my favorite part of the development process.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I don't really get the anger. Maybe they couldn't get a consistent level of performance with the previous level of graphics?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jimbot posted:

Seems like quite a few people are getting upset after seeing this gif showing up on reddit (I just linked the image, this is the thread - WARNING REDDIT). The difference in quality is pretty apparent but there really isn't any info on builds or which version the later is from or what have you. Comte can you comment on that comparison at all? Obviously things in development change, things get optimized so it can run on modern hardware, ect. Can you reach the quality of the December 2013 part of the gif any more?

One is clearly promo cgi. Who the hell believes promo videos?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Drifter posted:

Some people, I guess. I'm just asking on behalf of a friend. I've seen what the game looks like in all the recent footage from the embargo and I think it looks fantastic.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Karrahad posted:

I was rewatching the trailers today and I had not consciously noticed this glimpse before.

I've been looking forward to the Geralt-Yennefer-Triss triangle drama being a huge fest of yelling and fighting where the player is forced to choose (with the third option being that you gently caress up relations with both characters), so I'm going to assume this is Geralt's wet daydream from which he'll abruptly wake up due to two very hard smacks on his head.

But if I'm wrong I guess I have nothing to lose... :banjo:

Comte All ready answered this, sorry:

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

The whole series is a commentary on the impossibility of neutrality, so there's that.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Orv posted:

Ok, I see what you were saying. Yeah, the difference is that those effects are intentionally added to try to mimic film and not artifacts of the way that video games are rendered.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Drifter posted:

Wel, the video itself is the old VGX trailer that said "in-game footage", and a lot of those scenes look like they're gameplay.

Somebody went and made an album out of the scenes from that trailer compared to the newer stuff we're getting from streams.

I'm actually more disappointed that it looks like they changed the design for that one guy in the spikey armour. He looks rad as heck in the trailer but just kinda "meh" in the game.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

If they did in fact downgrade it, perhaps they wanted it to be playable on Ultra with 1x 980, which is the best GPU you can get right now (aside from the Titan, I suppose). If it was unplayable on Ultra, people would whine about that. Console parity may have had something to do with it as well, I don't know.

If it was to make it playable on current gen hardware, I don't necessarily agree with that, as being able to revisit a game a few years down the road and have it look even better is cool, but I can understand the logic behind that decision.

Regardless, the game is still the best looking game I've seen.

Also, wow, there's a lot of brown in those early screenshots.

• Locked thread