Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Well, they're both megalomaniacs who think they're smarter than everyone else alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Nice job on the FCBD issue this year, guys. Even though it's not technically one, or whatever.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Jedi425 posted:

Nice job on the FCBD issue this year, guys. Even though it's not technically one, or whatever.

Thanks!

For the curious: lookie here.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Hyperactive posted:

Thanks!

For the curious: lookie here.

Went to Comixology and saw this. Awesome work. I love the Dr. Dinosaur tradition going with FCBD :D

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Went to Comixology and saw this. Awesome work. I love the Dr. Dinosaur tradition going with FCBD :D

I loved the reference to the remote control, because we all know how well that worked out...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, Bernard just has the worst luck.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Curse you! I dropped a decent chunk on the real science tpbs. Of it was worth it but now I have less disposable income for some really good books.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Hyperactive, in your mind who voices Dr. Dinosaur?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

wiegieman posted:

Hyperactive, in your mind who voices Dr. Dinosaur?
Cobra Commander.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Hyperactive posted:

Cobra Commander.

RIP Chris Latta

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hyperactive posted:

Cobra Commander.

This is how Robo and Helsingard sound in your head too, isn't it?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Gaz-L posted:

This is how Robo and Helsingard sound in your head too, isn't it?

Everyone is Cobra Commander in his head. Including himself. It gets confusing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Odd thought, but I remember once that Atomic Robo told Dr. Dinosaur to downplay the raptor angle because he is based on a fictitious depiction of velociraptor. While that may be true, ignoring the lack of feathers, he does look like the Utahraptor, if you go by the holotype specimen. He also bears a lot of similarities with deinonychus. Of course, Dinosaurs don't have larynx and he is a totally genetic experiment, but just felt like mentioning since I like dinosaurs. Don't know if anyone ever brought that up.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Covok posted:

Of course, Dinosaurs don't have larynx and he is a totally genetic experiment,

He is very clearly a real dinosaur who travelled through time using crystals and his superior Jurassic intellect, you ignorant warm-blooded philistine. :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He does control the eb and flow.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

He does control the eb and flow.

He even labelled them!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

He even labelled them!

Well he wouldn't want to get confused now would he?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Who What Now posted:

He is very clearly a real dinosaur who travelled through time using crystals and his superior Jurassic intellect, you ignorant warm-blooded philistine. :colbert:

So many crystals!!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I don't expect Hyperactive to tell us before the comic does, but I'm almost thinking Dr Dinosaur IS a for-real hyper-intelligent dino that got thrown through time the same way Robo did in Vol. 9. Mostly because the reveal would drive Robo nuts.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I have to admit I can't watch the Jurassic World trailer without thinking of Dr. Dinosaur.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I have to admit I can't watch the Jurassic World trailer without thinking of Dr. Dinosaur.

"It's an animal!"
"A highly intelligent animal!"
"YES! HIGHLY MORE INTELLIGENT THAN DUMB MAMMALIAN DUMBNESS! BEHOLD!"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dr. Dinosaur is the best thing and I'm glad he isn't in every story arc because he would get crazy stale that way. Although secretly I hope he's behind M12 and their anti-Robo shenanigans.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Gaz-L posted:

I don't expect Hyperactive to tell us before the comic does, but I'm almost thinking Dr Dinosaur IS a for-real hyper-intelligent dino that got thrown through time the same way Robo did in Vol. 9. Mostly because the reveal would drive Robo nuts.
The comic will never tell you. The whole point of putting time travel into his origin story was to spend years debunking it so we could punch you guys in the emotional guts with the end of Savage Sword of Dr. Dinosaur, and then do it again with Knights of the Golden Circle, and then leave you in the same existential crisis that Robo will have for the rest of his days: Is Dr. Dinosaur right about everything?

Len posted:

Dr. Dinosaur is the best thing and I'm glad he isn't in every story arc because he would get crazy stale that way. Although secretly I hope he's behind M12 and their anti-Robo shenanigans.
Nope! We have plans for Majestic.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I was going to say that it could turn out that someone else is behind Doc Dino and it'd come up eventually, but guess not. I kind of like the mystery, the "maybe he's right, maybe he's not" kind of deal. Reminds me a little of the Joker.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Hyperactive posted:

Nope! We have plans for Majestic.

Everyone knows it's Bob Page.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I see the timeline's already updated with post-Savage Sword events, real excited for the new volume. :)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Covok posted:

Odd thought, but I remember once that Atomic Robo told Dr. Dinosaur to downplay the raptor angle because he is based on a fictitious depiction of velociraptor. While that may be true, ignoring the lack of feathers, he does look like the Utahraptor, if you go by the holotype specimen. He also bears a lot of similarities with deinonychus. Of course, Dinosaurs don't have larynx and he is a totally genetic experiment, but just felt like mentioning since I like dinosaurs. Don't know if anyone ever brought that up.

The maniraptors didn't have a larynx, but I'd be a little surprised if they didn't have a syrinx, which is the bird equivalent of that organ. It can do a serviceable job at replicating human speech, although it isn't evolved to be able to replicate the volumes a mammal can. That doesn't mean a syrinx can't make very loud noises, it just can't make very loud human speech noises. So, actually, Dr. Dinosaur's weird speech bubbles make a lot of scientific sense, since he'd be using organs not quite designed to make those particular noises. They're about the only part of the good Doctor that makes any sense at all.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

A.o.D. posted:

The maniraptors didn't have a larynx, but I'd be a little surprised if they didn't have a syrinx, which is the bird equivalent of that organ. It can do a serviceable job at replicating human speech, although it isn't evolved to be able to replicate the volumes a mammal can. That doesn't mean a syrinx can't make very loud noises, it just can't make very loud human speech noises. So, actually, Dr. Dinosaur's weird speech bubbles make a lot of scientific sense, since he'd be using organs not quite designed to make those particular noises. They're about the only part of the good Doctor that makes any sense at all.
TL;DR: he sounds like Cobra Commander.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
So you're admitting he wasssss once a man?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

TL;DR: he sounds like Cobra Commander.

Now I just spend time looking up a Cobra Commander soundboard at work. I'm not sure if I should thank you or not.

Edit: I feel old now. I work at a daycare and none of these children know who Cobra Commander is, yet one of them know most of the lyrics to Brass Monkey. What is wrong with kids today?

Len fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 11, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wanna feel even older? For most of those kids, the only Cobra Commander during their lifespan is Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gaz-L posted:

Wanna feel even older? For most of those kids, the only Cobra Commander during their lifespan is Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

All of those kids. The oldest here just turned 11.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I was presuming some of them might be young enough to have been born AFTER that movie came out.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Hey! That's pattently false!

in GI Joe Renegades(2010-2011), Cobra Commander was voiced by Charlie Adler.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I just backed: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tesladyne/atomic-robo-reprint-regalia

And you should too!

E: And the lowest tier to be name dropped is already almost filled.

I also am finally not a gently caress up and DID NOT select a digital only tier when meaning to grab a physical tier. Sorry again for that Hyperactive. :v:

E2: Talking to my wife she convinced me to order every book instead of randoms so she can read them too.... I neglected to point out that we already own all of them except the latest release.

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 14, 2015

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

So I started reading Atomic Robo two days ago and just finished tonight. Just wanted to say it's a great series and I loved everything except the end of vol. 9 aka Atomic Robo and the Downer Ending.

Thank you for such an awesome comic!

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

8one6 posted:

So I started reading Atomic Robo two days ago and just finished tonight. Just wanted to say it's a great series and I loved everything except the end of vol. 9 aka Atomic Robo and the Downer Ending.

Thank you for such an awesome comic!
You're welcome!

All new pages are going online starting, uh, yesterday!

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I just backed: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tesladyne/atomic-robo-reprint-regalia

And you should too!

E: And the lowest tier to be name dropped is already almost filled.

I also am finally not a gently caress up and DID NOT select a digital only tier when meaning to grab a physical tier. Sorry again for that Hyperactive. :v:

E2: Talking to my wife she convinced me to order every book instead of randoms so she can read them too.... I neglected to point out that we already own all of them except the latest release.

Did not know this was happening. This is almost cruel because like you I've already got all the trades but now there's hardbacks with extras involved :ohdear:

Hyperactive, these are standard size hardcovers, right? What are the odds that you guys will do oversized ones later? Basically I want to know if I'll be buying this all like a third time a year from now.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Shakenbaker posted:

Did not know this was happening. This is almost cruel because like you I've already got all the trades but now there's hardbacks with extras involved :ohdear:

Hyperactive, these are standard size hardcovers, right? What are the odds that you guys will do oversized ones later? Basically I want to know if I'll be buying this all like a third time a year from now.
These are standard size hardcovers. This campaign is all about getting our volumes back into print both under our own label and with a consistent design. These will be the bread-n-butter books that are easy to get in shops and online and at a very reasonable price.

We would like to do omnibus style collections eventually. That is very high on the WHAT WE WANNA DO list. Not 100% sure at this point if they'd be oversized omnibus editions. But this would be the fancier high dollar limited run edition for the hardcore Robo fan.

I'm not gonna try to sell anyone on the need to get both versions. I suppose it comes down to this: do you want very nice hardcovers now at a great price, or do you want even nicer but also pricier phonebook editions at some point down the road?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

These are standard size hardcovers. This campaign is all about getting our volumes back into print both under our own label and with a consistent design. These will be the bread-n-butter books that are easy to get in shops and online and at a very reasonable price.

We would like to do omnibus style collections eventually. That is very high on the WHAT WE WANNA DO list. Not 100% sure at this point if they'd be oversized omnibus editions. But this would be the fancier high dollar limited run edition for the hardcore Robo fan.

I'm not gonna try to sell anyone on the need to get both versions. I suppose it comes down to this: do you want very nice hardcovers now at a great price, or do you want even nicer but also pricier phonebook editions at some point down the road?

I want both :negative: I plan to donate and have it all set to remind me when the time is almost up. I have this terrible fear I would donate and have the money get drawn at a time I have none.

• Locked thread