Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I felt terrible for being disqualified from pistol after dropping my magazine and instinctively loading a new one. The instructor asked me what my malfunction was I explained I had used a sig226 for the last 7 on the job and the never had to deal with a goofy safety. He let me try again and I baby stepped through it and just got enough for the silly little bar.

I hate m9s. Safetys suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Some girl in CE didn't get the job she wanted elsewhere on the base and is apparently airing a bunch of her grievances on Facebook. Apparently she wanted the move because she's on her second CDC failure for CST or whatever they're calling it right now, it's a really easy job regardless. As if throwing a tantrum is going to have a positive impact on things. Of course somebody thought it was a good idea to let her come back after being denied reenlistment after her first time around, so maybe some pushover will help her out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wait she was denied reenlistment, somehow rejoined and is now failing her CDCs?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

LingcodKilla posted:

I felt terrible for being disqualified from pistol after dropping my magazine and instinctively loading a new one. The instructor asked me what my malfunction was I explained I had used a sig226 for the last 7 on the job and the never had to deal with a goofy safety. He let me try again and I baby stepped through it and just got enough for the silly little bar.

I hate m9s. Safetys suck.

They're hot garbage, this is correct.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Qual day for M9's was always hilarious because that poo poo would last for like 12 loving hours because no one could do the rapid fire without that piece of poo poo jamming

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Wait she was denied reenlistment, somehow rejoined and is now failing her CDCs?
Several years ago she was in LRS and was a terrible performer, she refused to come to drill one time because getting paid that month would turn off her welfare. So she wasn't allowed to reenlist. She went over to the Army Guard for a while. In that time her old commander had become group commander, and being a little too much of a softy, let her back in.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Bolow posted:

Qual day for M9's was always hilarious because that poo poo would last for like 12 loving hours because no one could do the rapid fire without that piece of poo poo jamming

On the other hand, I've never seen one jam. And the AF has the loosest loving Berettas I can imagine.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
It's the mags.

If you've got one that has CHECKMATE written anywhere on the fuckin' thing, you might as well throw it away. Something about the gubbmint not wanting to pay for genuine Beretta mags, but Checkmate hosed it up and used the wrong type of spring steel. I think there's also another brand that was an absolute nightmare as well, but my memory fails me.

An M9 will work with either Beretta or Mecgar 30 round magazines flawlessly, military just hosed it up. As per normal.

terrez
Mar 20, 2012

Derek Dominoe posted:

That's a little surprising. My last unit had a 6 year streak of everyone getting expert on all weapon quals. Granted, it was just basic M9 and M4 or M16 qualification, but we were a bunch of doctors--some of whom had never held a gun before. Personally, although I had plenty of experience with hunting rifles and shotgune, I had fired a pistol maybe once in my life but was still only one shot away from a perfect score.

Seriously, how dumb are these people?!

Rhetorical question. I've met enough personnel to know that we basically live in the military version of Idiocracy.

I'd guess people who have never touched a gun before are slow and follow along properly. I have no idea what I'm doing with guns and I was 1 shot away from expert on M4 and M9.

Side note: I occasionally run into people who think I'm a tactical gun ninja M4 expert because I'm EOD. They seem disappointed when I tell them I am no more qualified than anyone else that went through basic training.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

If you've never touched a gun before you don't have any bad habits from Uncle Bubba handing you his hunting rifle and not telling you much more than "point it that way".

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

terrez posted:

I'd guess people who have never touched a gun before are slow and follow along properly. I have no idea what I'm doing with guns and I was 1 shot away from expert on M4 and M9.

Probably. Also, I'd expect doctors to have steady hands.

All my shooting involved bolt action .22s and whatever pistol friends brought to the range, so I never developed any weapon-specific habits, just the basic principles of shooting. Consequently, I shot expert on the M9 and M14.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Internet Wizard posted:

If you've never touched a gun before you don't have any bad habits from Uncle Bubba handing you his hunting rifle and not telling you much more than "point it that way".

Meanwhile I only fired a gun once before joining and I'm pretty rubbish at the range, even after EXPERT ARMY MARKSMANSHIP TRAINING.

Although, I imagine the tremors in my hands and head probably don't help, either.

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!
My former Chief Engineer was an absolute idiot who insisted on chipping paint off of the MAIN REDUCTION GEAR inspection ports just prior to opening them for an annual inspection, and then being shocked and amazed when paint chips fell inside of the gear casing when he opened them.

Had we not had a former GS as an MPA, I am convinced we would have destroyed most of our engineering plant.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

theAcidQueen posted:

My former Chief Engineer was an absolute idiot who insisted on chipping paint off of the MAIN REDUCTION GEAR inspection ports just prior to opening them for an annual inspection, and then being shocked and amazed when paint chips fell inside of the gear casing when he opened them.

Had we not had a former GS as an MPA, I am convinced we would have destroyed most of our engineering plant.

:gonk:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

theAcidQueen posted:

I don't speak spanish.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

theAcidQueen posted:

Those things are like, a billion pounds in weight and fuckoff huge; would a few chips of paint hurt anything or am I missing the problem?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Wasabi the J posted:

Those things are like, a billion pounds in weight and fuckoff huge; would a few chips of paint hurt anything or am I missing the problem?

Yeah it could. MRG's are pretty sensitive.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I envision this thread as the halfway house between civilian, and in the heart of the suck enlisted. It has done its job.

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!

Wasabi the J posted:

Literally everything in main propulsion (engines, generators, Red Gears, etc) are super ultra sensitive to any type of foreign matter. FOD can find its way into fluid systems, royally mess around with things like Filters, Fuel Nozzles, and the like.

Now when it comes to the Main Reduction Gear, you're dealing with a situation where even a few little paint chips can

A: Restrict oil flow to the major bearings supporting the gears themselves. This is a BAD thing, since bearings normally can run up to 130 Degree's WITH proper lubrication, and even higher if one of them should loose oil flow.

B: Score the gear teeth, as well as the gear itself. Again a BAD thing, since damage to a gear tooth requires some fantastic mathematical prowess as well as NAVSEA level qualifications to repair.

We had to replace a certain component on our Main Reduction Gear system this week, and we literally had about 4 or 5 Quality Assurance people from Navsea, as well as the MPA, Cheng, and CO, in Main One. I hold it on good authority that reduction gears are literally the most expensive thing on a warship.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

theAcidQueen posted:

We had to replace a certain component on our Main Reduction Gear system this week, and we literally had about 4 or 5 Quality Assurance people from Navsea, as well as the MPA, Cheng, and CO, in Main One. I hold it on good authority that reduction gears are literally the most expensive thing on a warship.

They are so expensive that the Navy leases them.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
MRG horror stories are the best

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
When the gear turns all the load will be on one tooth. This is a pretty extreme amount of stress so the gears are probably made out of some fancy steel I've never heard of and the teeth would have a helical cut to increase the surface area in contact. The precision machining required for all that would be pretty expensive. Now there's no way into the engine room for something that size so you would have to cut a hole in the ship and probably a lot of other things to drop it out and get another one in.

I doubt some paint chips are much of a big deal by themselves but the casual attention to detail when dealing with such a piece of equipment would be my big worry. It's much better to work with a high degree of attention to detail and be extremely thorough to the point of being annoying to work with in such a situation.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Can anyone explain how any of this works? I understand turning the engine's energy into spinning the propeller, but this looks really intricate.

I don't know what I was picturing, but now I understand why you wouldn't want foreign objects floating around in that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

All those are straight cut too, which is quite a bit easier.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
It might be hard to show a helical cut in such a drawing but I haven't seen a straight cut gear of any consequence. Those are straight out of one of my text books.

Those are just different gearing types. Coming out of the prime mover you will have a shaft going to a high speed pinion, the small gear in that situation. The pinion comes into contact with the bull gear, the large one in the center and drives it. The bull gear will be on the main shaft turning the prop.

There are two pinions because there are generally two prime movers, usually gas turbines in the Navy although you could also use medium or high speed diesels. The different arrangements are all about weight, cost, load and speed compromises. That book was old ten years ago so I have no idea what the modern Navy uses but our training ship just had the one step reduction. This goes from a high speed pinion to the 1st reduction gear, the 1st reduction gear drives the next pinion which drives the bull gear etc etc. I haven't thought much about reduction gears since school though since the commercial world uses either slow speed diesel or diesel-electric for the most part so I might be hosed up somewhere.

That first and last drawings are driven by a steam turbine. The others are gt or diesel.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 4, 2015

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Too much detail is probably opsec?
I know nothing about them but seem to recall this from other threads.

You really don't want FOD in them beacause all the energy from the tubines pass through them so if they were to seize that energy will have nowhere to go.
Energy doesn't like this and have a tendency to turn into shrapnel and heat. Lots of heat.

Here's a Norwegian minesweeper. They use lift fans and skirts to generate a surface effect to go faster:

Here's what happens when the drive shaft to one of the 2 megawatt lift fans decides to depart this world (along with some .50 cal cook offs):

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Caconym posted:

Yeah our enemy might find out the 1 simple trick they need to disable our ships

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
in case the pictures don't clear it up the gas turbines on the icebreaker I was on idled at 6krpm with a demand boost up to like 9k or something? I dunno that wasn't my thing, the point was on one end you had a gas turbine and the other was the propulsion shaft.

if you can't imagine how paint chips in a red gear are bad news, that's one of the few circumstances where you should just take someone's word on it. only one or two people having keys to the access is actually like that for a reason, not just some military bullshit

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Caconym posted:

Hope you guys remove and store your automotive transmissions in a GSA-approved garage/vault.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Apparently, this is a wedding band.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
Mod edit: nope

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 4, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Drop it please.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

joat mon posted:

Apparently, this is a wedding band.

I kill people for a living... covert ops.. I need to ensure light and noise discipline.

When I sneak up on my enemies, they will know that they are going to die... and know I'm always faithful to my wife.

#armywifehardestcareer

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The camo is no good after your finger is degloved.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MurderBot posted:

I kill people for a living... covert ops.. I need to ensure light and noise discipline.

When I sneak up on my enemies, they will know that they are going to die... and know I'm always faithful to my wife.

#armywifehardestcareer

The only thing sneaking up to kill most Army Wives is Type 2 Diabetes, and Cardiovascular Disease. Or Joe or I guess Jody in a PTSD adled haze.

Hope that helps.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

The only thing sneaking up to kill most Army Wives is Type 2 Diabetes, and Cardiovascular Disease. Or Joe or I guess Jody in a PTSD adled haze.

Hope that helps.

His Insulin, her syringes.

A perfect pair.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

MurderBot posted:

His Insulin, her syringes.

A perfect pair.

Goddamn

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Internet Wizard posted:

Unless you try to fire an M16 like a bolt action like some retard I know.

I went along with some Bundeswehr reservists to go do some annual shooting comp between German\French army and police. They invited a bunch of US, so like half the Army and like eight Air Force show up and we get divvied into teams of three. The joes were bragging around their wads of dip about their prior Ranger experience, trying to bust sweet double-taps on a five round course with no time limit and finger-loving the MG3 because dude, it's just like the ones Grandpa marched into on the beaches of Normandy. Meanwhile my team walked away with the win consisting of an Air Force admin nutsack, an intel dude and a supply guy. And we're not even good shots, we were just not retarded slightly less retarded on this particular day.

Also if you ever get the chance to do any event with the Bundeswehr find out if they're bringing food and if they say yes, go without question. They hooked everyone there up with a big bowl of awesome lentil soup, two sausages and some brotchen. Every time we did something with them a truck would pull up loaded with something hot, German and delicious. Dudes eat so, so good.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Idiots! Haha..

I work on Cherry Point, towards the back of the base, where there's only a single two lane road that gets you back out to the front of the base and the gates to get on/off. I leave work at 11:30 to go grab some chow and end up sitting in a line for an hour for a four car fender bender at the one intersection on this road. As I get up to it, it's three young corporals who managed to all pile up into the back of this Toyota Tacoma. I chuckle a little because I'm a male chauvinist pig dog and the only male driver is the truck who had been stopped (Assumed due to the fact that he had no front end damage and the other three cars, save for the tail vehicle, had front and rear end damage). It takes another 20 minutes to get through the pile of traffic and out of the gate, where I grab a burger from Wendy's and turn around to come back to the office.

On the way back I notice that traffic heading back into the back of the base is held up when it shouldn't be, because they cleared the initial wreck so those lanes should be open. When I'm finally able to turn onto the road I notice an MP sitting in the incoming lane, blocking traffic coming from the back of the base entirely and really slowing down the traffic heading my way. The laughter starts all to easily as I realize what's happened. When they got the first 3 vehicles onto the flatbed trucks, they just drove them up the road a quarter of a mile and stopped on the shoulder. Well, while driving by them, this chick obviously began rubbernecking to assess the carnage and slammed into the dodge ram in front of her at a decent enough speed to cave in her front end. The ram, in turn, clipped the BMW in front of it, though the driver of the truck was able to turn so that it was only tail/headlight damage.

Moral of the story? Idiot young Marines can't drive for poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

LCL-Dead posted:

Idiots! Haha..

I work on Cherry Point, towards the back of the base, where there's only a single two lane road that gets you back out to the front of the base and the gates to get on/off. I leave work at 11:30 to go grab some chow and end up sitting in a line for an hour for a four car fender bender at the one intersection on this road. As I get up to it, it's three young corporals who managed to all pile up into the back of this Toyota Tacoma. I chuckle a little because I'm a male chauvinist pig dog and the only male driver is the truck who had been stopped (Assumed due to the fact that he had no front end damage and the other three cars, save for the tail vehicle, had front and rear end damage). It takes another 20 minutes to get through the pile of traffic and out of the gate, where I grab a burger from Wendy's and turn around to come back to the office.

On the way back I notice that traffic heading back into the back of the base is held up when it shouldn't be, because they cleared the initial wreck so those lanes should be open. When I'm finally able to turn onto the road I notice an MP sitting in the incoming lane, blocking traffic coming from the back of the base entirely and really slowing down the traffic heading my way. The laughter starts all to easily as I realize what's happened. When they got the first 3 vehicles onto the flatbed trucks, they just drove them up the road a quarter of a mile and stopped on the shoulder. Well, while driving by them, this chick obviously began rubbernecking to assess the carnage and slammed into the dodge ram in front of her at a decent enough speed to cave in her front end. The ram, in turn, clipped the BMW in front of it, though the driver of the truck was able to turn so that it was only tail/headlight damage.

Moral of the story? Idiot young Marines can't drive for poo poo.

I love this story